• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm sorry, not Ben Kingsley for me...

I'm somewhat of a Vin Diesel fan...

Tucci. The new face of ER. Which is still on TV apparently.

No! See, that's the thing: it's none of those three guys...

I'll think of it sometime after he's long dead and encased in a sepulchre someplace nice in Hierosolymna...
j.

Time for an update, isn't it?

Kurt_Steiner said:

Indeed. Though to be fair Olaus did say next update would be at the weekend.

Kurt_Steiner said:

I'll try to write one today or at least tomorrow. It's have been hectic week, I just came home from seminar about reformation which I have been organising. Luckily I'm not coordinator of whole thing, but as "steward" of our scientific society I have had responsibilities. First day through still two to go. Luckily our guests, especially foreign ones, have been happy so far and first day was success.

Take your time, Olaus, don't worry. Life's first, we can wait.

I'm honoured by the place reserved to me in your signature. It's something completely unworthy but I'll try to deserve it.

*blushing*

Kurt_Steiner said:
Take your time, Olaus, don't worry. Life's first, we can wait.

I'm honoured by the place reserved to me in your signature. It's something completely unworthy but I'll try to deserve it.

*blushing*

It definately will be later this weekend. I was too tired to write today, but I have played further and let's just say that next episode will be named: "To Jerusalem"

LIBER II: To Jerusalem 1079-1083

Council of Clermont

In the year of our Lord one thousand and seventy nine at the month of November Holy Father called Frankish bishops and nobles to the city of Clermont. Eustache III Duke of Lower Lorraine partcipated to this meeting with his bishops. Pope Alexander spoke against the sin and corruption which made Christendom weak. Priests bought their positions and christian warriors fought against each other in private wars. This sin was cause of the all misery in the world. Instead of murdering fellow Christians pope urged that Franks, God's chosen people, would take the cross and fight against the infidels in the Holy Land. Pope's words convinced Godefroy and his two brothers and all of them took the cross and gathered an army.

Battle of Sinai

AD 1081: Godefroy gathered the men of Boulogne and lead them to Genoa. Eustache and Baudoin went to Lorraine and gathered men there. They lead their armies south of the Alps to the city of Venice, where they gathered a great fleet. Meanwhile Godefroy had hired a Genoese fleet and two fleets met at Crete. Armies of Flanders landed to Egypt where they faced army of the Heathens near Farama. Godefroy was leading small group of scouts, when Barbarian army laid ambush to them. They nearly perished but by the grace of God they were saved, when Eustache and his knights came to the rescue. Eustache had seen previous night a sleep where pack of wild dogs tore a great lion to little pieces. He understood that the Lion was his noble brother and those wild dogs were treacherous Pagans. So he gathered all his knights and they rode as fast as they could to be in time. After the Barbarian army was defeated Christians conquered lands surrounding the Mount Sinai, where God gave the commandments to Moses. During the travelling around the desert small bands of Arabs attacked constantly against the Christian army.

Battle of Eilat

Caliph al-Mustali of Fatimids

Like Israelites fleeing from the Egypt also the Christian army arrived to the city of Eilat on the eve of a feast of the Saint Anatolius (2nd July). At that time Caliph al-Mustali was in the city with his guard. Christians saw that God had given them opportunity to strike against the Pagans and surrounded the city. Next day Barbarian army tried to break from the siege, but Eustache, Godefroy and Baudoin were prepared for their attempt. When lines clashed, Godefroy lead small group of knights against the Caliphs bodyguard and stroke them down. Godefroy's sword gave caliph a wound which infected later and caused the death of Caliph. This sword is now kept in the Temple of Solomon. People say that who ever uses this sword will always gain victory against the Enemies of God. After caliph wounded and retreated back to the city barbarians lost their courage. Like mist in the windy morning their armies disappeared to all directions and city fell soon. Christians put caliph's head on a stake over the main gate, so that infidels would see that God had given a great victory to the Franks in the battle against the Satan.

Templars

Siege of Jerusalem

AD 1082: Army of the Franks followed Mediterranean coast and conquered the whole coast till the town of Jaffa, which fell at the beginning of the June. At Jaffa knight called Hugues de Payens approached Baoduin with eight other knights. He told to Baoduin that they would like to form a knight order to protect the Temple of the Solomon and pilgrimages who come to the Holy Land. Baoduin answered to them that their cause was noble, but plea for castles was premature and he wouldn't accept their offer unless the knights would help to conquer Jerusalem instead of sitting safely in the coastal fort and let the other pilgrimages take the fighting. Mid-June our army arrived to the gates of the Jerusalem and surrounded the city. Emir Rashid lead army of the barbarians who constantly made raids to the back of our sieging army and tried to help the city. Eustache showed great courage in battle against the barbarians and gained many victories. During these attacks arrow of the heathens pierced an eye of bishop Roger de Saint-Valéry. Bishop didn't care about this, but kept praying daily near the gate that God would strike down gates of the Jerusalem. He wounded again later when he followed men to the siegeladders during the final attack, but God allowed him to live long enough to see our victory. Finally city fell at the day of Saint Leo (February 18th 1083) and Godefroy lead his troops to the city. Our soldiers after pagans were overcome seized great number of both men and women and either killed them or kept them captive for ransoms. Blood was to the ankles everywhere and funeral pyres darkened the sun. Few days later great feast was held to honour our Lord and Saviour.

Last edited:
J. Passepartout said:
Saint-Valery keeps it up with an arrow in his eye? He should be canonised immediately!

He was tough fellow he wounded twice during the battle of Jerusalem. He miraculously got better after serious wound, before he received another and got ill.

He wasn't much of a warrior, but still tough fellow.

A warrior of God, though. Quite an invigorating Crusade.

Bearing in mind how often in the AARs the infidels got their arses kicked out of Jerusalem, dunno why they even do the effort to put a a fight... :rofl:

Well done, Olaus.

Glad to see Godfrey liberating the holy land, now to distrbute the plunder and cast away European encumberances.

That looks like a very successful and un-siege-stolen crusade! Congratulations!

Although I have to say St. St.-Valerie sounds a might ridiculous.
j.

Great success! But that territory looks smallish for all the crusading ambitions..

stnylan: Indeed. Or maybe not all that pious as our chronicles gives the impression. This text is after all pure propaganda.

Kurt_Steiner: Well, many times they also manage to reconquer Jerusalem back at some point or another. Hopefully it doesn't happen in this game, although I can tell that they will try it in the near future.

JimboIX: European lands will go to youngest branch of the family, but I won't loot my inherited lands.

Llywelyn: Luckily Germans fought at the same time in Egypt against the Fatimids, which made my success even possible. Germans did bother me only a little in the Holy Land. Duke of Steiermark was only one who managed to stole a siege.

RGB: It is just the first part of the crusade. I haven't posted end of that crusade yet. I'll post more of that campaign today. I fought constantly in Holy Land till 1090 and I have just posted first part of that decade long crusade which drained my coffers and manpower empty.

1083-1089

End of the Crusade

1083: Tuesday after Third Sunday of Lent (14th of March) Roman bishop declared that Holy Land was free and that the crusade against infidels had been succesful. After word of this declaration reached the Holy Land many Pilgrims thought that they had fulfilled their oath to God and only the most faithful remained. De Bouloigne brothers decided to continue crusade against the barbarians, because parts of the Holy Land and many holy places were still in the hands of the enemies of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Brothers ended feast in Jerusalem quickly, gathered their armies and marched to Acre. Our Lord himself gave us this great victory. Acre fell to Christian hands at Sunday after the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (21st May).

Caliph Mesud

Godefroy, Protector of the Holy Sepulchre and Lord of Mount Sinai

Tiburge, Godefroy's 2nd wife

Tadeu d'Alcácer do Sal, Grandmaster of Hospitaliers

1084: Day before feast of Saint Remigius (12th of Janurary) we made truce with caliph Mesud who was a great warrior and like fierce young lion. Godefroy opposed this truce with the heathens, but Eustache persuaded him to accept it, because we were short of men after many had returned and needed more crusaders from Europe to help defending the Holy Land. Eustache made Baoduin count of Boulogne and sent him back to Lorraine to gather more troops to defend the holy places. In a glorious feast Godefroy was appointed to Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri (Protector of the Holy Sepulchre) and Lord of Mount Sinai. Tadeu d'Alcácer do Sal grandmaster of the newly found Order of Saint John of Jerusalem offered his services to the crusaders in the battle against the infidels. His order took it for their responsibility to defend the coast of Phoenicia and guarantee that pilgrimages from Europe have save passage to the Holy Land. At May we got the word that Yazid Emir of Cyrenaica approached Sinai and that he planned to recapture the Holy Land. We mustered our armies and prepared for battle, but Yazid that cowardly dog decided to surrender and turn back home even before his armies had crossed the Libyan desert. Late that same summer heat of the Palestine was too much for Sancha, who had arrived only few weeks earlier to the Holy Land to live with her husband in their new fiefdom and she passed away. Godefroy grieved her death greatly and refused to eat or sleep for a long time. We were worried about his condition and constant fastening, but God didn't allow him to pass away. During his grief one lady took care of him and showed great mercy to him. She persuaded him to eat and sleep and kept him alive. Her name was Tiburge de Prunelé and she was a daughter of a Frankish knight, who had died during the siege of Jerusalem. As soon as he recovered Godefroy rewarded the woman who saved his life and took her his wife.

End of the Truce

1085: At the feast of Saint Julius, bishop of Rome, (27th of January) our truce with Mesud ended. Baoduin was still on his way back to the Holy Land, so at first everything debended on Eustache and Godefroy who marched to south from Jerusalem to defeat the southern armies of the barbarians, before facing mighty armies of Syria. Meanwhile barbarian army from the Damascus arrived to besiege Jerusalem. Baoduin reached a word about siege when he landed to Jaffa and his army marched day and night till they arrived to Jerusalem. In a fierce battle heathen army was crushed between our lines and the walls of Jerusalem. Another crusader army landed to Sinai, where they fought against Egyptians. Baoduin took small force and joined to the army of his brothers and left defending Jerusalem to the hands of Egbert de Brunswick margrave of Meissen. At Monday after Fourth Sunday after Pentecost (7th of July) Egbert's army suffered heroic defeat near Jerusalem. Large heathen army of 300 000 men arrived to besiege Jerusalem, but Egbert and his small army of 1300 men defended heroically pass near the city, which armies approaching from the north had to use. There Egbert took his stand against the heathens. Without rest, food or water they fought for days, so that they could buy time for Jerusalem and word could reach de Boulognes that their armies are needed in the north. Only few tired and wounded men survived the battle and they retreated only after they knew that city would be safe. Godefroy's army defeated the heathens who were besieging Jerusalem and at November he liberated Tiberias which barbarian army had conquered on their way to Jerusalem.

1086: At the end of the summer Godefroy's army arrived to Tyre and defeated great army of the barbarians defending the city. Soon afterwards also Eustache arrived to besiege the city. City fell at the autumn after two months siege and our army spend winter there.

Siege of Beirut, last battle of the first crusade

1087: At First Sunday of Lent (14th of February) our scouts, lead by count Thierry V de Hollande, encaged with the heathens near Beirut. They fought heroically till our main force arrived week later and crushed the barbarian army. We besieged city and despite constant attacks of the heathen armies it fell day before Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ (5th of May). It was last major battle of the crusade and month later Caliph surrendered and recognised that Holy Land belongs to Christians eternally.

Henry IV King of the Germans

1088: Henry IV king of the Germans had arrived to the Holy Land soon after Christmas (of 1087) and demanded that the crusader should recognise him as their liege and emperor. He took city of Beersheba from duke of Steiermark and started to organise his tyrannical rule from there. Eustache, Godefroy and Baoduin refused to make homage to him and claimed that Holy Land wasn't part of the German kingdom. They also pointed out that Holy Father hadn't coronated Henry to emperor, which would give him power over other Christian lords, but instead Holy Father had excommunicated him because of his wicked sins. And it would be the duty of every Christian to oppose despotic tyrant. When Henry heard this he threatened to impale their heads over the gates of Jerusalem. This threat made de Boulognes lead their armies against the walls of Beersheba. At the end of the February Henry surrendered and recognised that Holy Land, Lorraine and Brabant belonged to de Boulognes and king of Germans didn't have power over these lands. At May Eustache III duke of Lower Lorraine recognised Philippe king of the Franks as his liege and made an oath that Lorraine would be part of the Kingdom of France in the future.

Gregorius VII

1089: At Novemeber Alexander II, bishop of the Romans, died. Rodolfo of Siena was elected to a new pope and he took name Gregorius VII.

Holy Land after the first crusade

Last edited:
Thrown off the yolk of the HRE, ready to declare the Kingdom? I forget just how poor most of Jerusalems lands are, good luck in your new dominion.