• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan said:
It will all hinge on the army I think, and strangely I wonder if the army might be more liberal (progressive might be a better word) than armies usually are. After all, many of the soldiers happen to be non-Germans, and the officers and men are more likely to have been out among the world - the officers especially. Providing soldiers are not in the habit of taking the throne themselves they can be quite tenacious in their fealty to a particular dynasty, and to the correct succession.
Very good point, stnylan.

Rensslaer: Good pair of updates. That line: "While many argue a variety of scenarios, it remains entirely possible that the assassin Steppenwolf, who died during the commission of his crime, acted on his own.", sounds ominously like a description of the various conspiracy theories about the Kennedy assassination.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To echo many thoughts, the key to the sucession, as proven to be the case in many different scenarios throughout history, is the military. I think that Wally just might have a greater chance at getting the Army's support based upon his actual service in the last couple of years, as opposed to his "dear" Uncle who several generations behind the times... however, whatever Wally and Renss have planned, they better get moving soon, for the longer they leave the field of battle to their opponents, the less the chance of Wally being crowned there is!

One of the best mini sub-plot in this AAR. The suspense is killing me!!!

Are there any foreign pressure? i am sure, there are certain major powers whom have preference on who should be the Kaiser or those who are ready to take advantage of this temp instability.

A Succession of Questions (Part 5 of 15)

It had been a long day by early afternoon. KronPrinz Waldemar had followed his Father’s casket procession from the Kaiser’s palace to the cathedral, and then on to the mausoleum where Kaiser Wilhelm II’s body would reside forever.

Rensselaer and Longanecker were waiting when an exhausted Waldemar loped to the end of the procession on his horse. Major Korenyi-Both peered down on them from his vantage point on top of the nearest building, watching protectively over his best friend with a long-barreled rifle.

Waldemar had remained upright in his saddle all day, in his silver cuirass and its heavy helmet with its exquisite royal plumage. He was physically spent.

“Thank heaven,” Rensselaer said. “Very well done, Your Majesty.” There was almost no awkwardness, now, when Rensselaer called him by his presumed title. “Your bearing was very imperial, through and through.”

Longanecker helped him down from his saddle.

Waldemar seemed detached, and lost in his thoughts. Aloof. Rensselaer wasn’t sure what to say. He was a political advisor, not a personal counselor. He stood nearby, ready if his KronPrinz – his soon-to-be sovereign – needed him. Finally, Waldemar seemed to take a deep breath, and turned to approach Rensselaer.

“Renss,” he began. “I had a lot of time to think, up there, while riding today.”

“I can imagine, Your Majesty.”

“I felt like a different person,” Waldemar said. “I felt like these peoples’ Kaiser.” He gestured out at the crowds, behind the screen of soldiers, some of whom raised their hands or voices when he seemed to acknowledge them. He rounded, slowly, gently, on Rensselaer, and looked him in the eye closely. “I am not a little boy.”

Rensselaer’s eyes went wide, and he recoiled, slightly. “Why of course not…”

Wally cut him off with a wave of his hand. “Renss, I value your counsel because you have a sense for what’s appropriate, and you have the resolve to see it through.”

Rensselaer received the praise graciously, and did not turn it away. He prided himself in that service. He bowed, ever so slightly, but waited apprehensively for what would come next.

The KronPrinz looked down for a moment, then back. “My Father told me that. He said that he had made a mistake, and he was sorry for having not appreciated your counsel when you were his Foreign Minister.”

The elderly man’s mouth worked. What to say? “I… I did not realize. I think he tried to tell me, once, but…”

“I need you to serve me like you served my Father. I need you to point me the way, and tell me when I’m wrong.” He paused. “But you are treating me like a KronPrinz, and not like a Kaiser. If I am to be Kaiser, I must play the part, like I did today. I,” Wally peered off into the distance. “I am a Hohenzollern – a member of a proud family that has never shirked its duty. My Father knew his duty, and my brother…” His recent relatives had died doing their duty. “I know the battlefield, and I know the dangers. And I know I must go forward.”

Rensselaer bowed, accepting the gentle rebuke. “Your Majesty… I believe you are correct. And I am sorry.”

“I know you want me to go back to the tunnel until the danger is past. But I don’t dare. I have to be out there for the people to see. So they know they have a Kaiser who they can be proud of.”

Smiling, Rensselaer said, “They will have a Kaiser they can be proud of. In you. But only if he survives long enough to take the throne.”

“Albrecht hasn’t been hiding. Or Kalkhorst. Or even Grolitz.”

“Your Majesty, they have the luxury of knowing that we don’t play the way they do. That we won’t have them assassinated.”

Do they know that? For certain?” Waldemar glanced up at Korenyi, on the rooftop, but quickly looked ashamed and looked away. “I can’t hide anymore, Renss. I have to be at the reins of power if I intend to keep them.”

“I believe you are correct.” Rensselaer said again, trying to decide how to recommend Waldemar could do that, with relative safety. “If you will take the tunnel, once more, we can place you inside your residence, where they cannot practically reach you. You will become a prisoner, of sorts, but not to appearances. Then again, if you need to leave, we always have the tunnel.” Waldemar seemed to appreciate the advice. “Your Father was an exception, but your Grandfather never really left his residence a great deal. There is nothing which says the Kaiser must be moving about to be Kaiser. It might work quite well to have you in place at the KronPrinz’ palace.”

“Then let’s do it,” The KronPrinz ordered, and began to turn away.

“Your Majesty…” Rensselaer took a deep breath of his own. Wally stopped and regarded him. “I pledge my eternal service to you. I… I believe I may have failed your Father.”

“My Father turned you against him, Renss.”

Rensselaer pursed his lips. “No. Afterward, I mean. He tried to ask me to come back, and I would not. I could have displaced Holstein and Bülow. But I was too proud. I suppose, perhaps, I have some responsibility for the situation you find yourself in now – for their holding onto the power they are using to challenge you.”

Waldemar smiled, warmly, but did not contradict Rensselaer’s admissions. “Then you can help me undo what was done. I need you.” He placed his hand on Rensselaer’s shoulder, the way his Father had, once. “And I am a very fortunate man to have you at my side.”

Last edited:
That was fast. Express updates. Prince Rensslaer is called upon once again. No more hiding, may the battle for the throne begin.

I like Wally, he has put Renss in his place while being correct!

That's something none of his ancestors managed, that much is sure :D

I'm pleased to see Wally accepting his role and standing strong in his own right. Hopefully this will help cement his position (if he lives.)

And as I've mentioned before, Renss is no young man. I only wonder how long he may be around to prove useful to Wally.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And of course that is the most important battle for Wally to win - not the business with Rensslaer per se, and certainly not the business in the big wide world, but with himself. He needed to take charge, to be prepared to rule and not just reign. He had to decide he wanted to become the Kaiser, and to take the necessary steps (quite literal ones at times) to be seen as the Kaiser. And part of that is giving orders, even to those that, a few months ago, he would have been taken the orders from. No matter how wise or venerable or senior they were than and are now, he is in a position ascendent.

So much of politics is show. Once he starts to be seen to be acting like a Kaiser, a Kaiser he will be - or at the very least, a Kaiser he will much more likely be!

• 1Love
Reactions:
I must agree with coz, I dont think renns will survive till the end. Most likely he will die around part 11-12. Actually I hope he does, it would seem fitting and realistic.

I believe that Prince Rennslaer knows that his time grows short. He should prepare a list of trusted names and upon assumption of the crown by Wally the new Kaiser will dismiss the whole cabinet and put the trusted advisors in place. This way Renns' spirit will live on in the new government and the new Kaiser can go ahead and oppose all domestic and foreign threats to his power, live a glorious and long, fruitful life and lead Prussia as the premier power of the world.

Renns' - are you listening? (just kidding)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Indeed... I may tell you, as part of the "Fire Warms" canon, that Renss will not survive until the end.

'Course, you're all presuming that he'll live past this week! :D ;)

I will try to post the next scene this afternoon/evening. Trying to keep up a tempo, for this subplot, of one update per day... we'll see if I can keep it up!

Renss

Rensslaer: ...“And I am a very fortunate man to have you at my side.”

magnificent updates, Rensslaer! ! ! :cool:

I do hope Rensslaer survives this crisis and manages to help Waldemar seize the throne. If he dies he deserves knowing Germany will be stable, strong and unified. Would be nice if eventually he's able to retire to some Brandenburgian Estate.

A Succession of Questions (Part 6 of 15)

Just as tobacco smoke clung to the ceiling of the private library, so did tension cling to those gathered.

Every noise, even the setting down of a pen or whiskey glass, drew most every eye. They glanced, furtively. It was dangerous to be part of this cabal. They met at the home of a courageous friend of one of the Reichstag deputies.

The KronPrinz might be safe in his palace, but he could only issue orders from there. And be a symbol, for what that was worth, which was a lot. Their telephones were monitored, so to accomplish most practical actions and results, someone had to travel outside.

The public was anxiously aware of a power struggle underway. But, short of rash acts of bravery, there was little they could do. This was a big man’s game. And a war of wills raged, quietly, behind the scenes. It was the quiet application of various means of power – overt and covert – by means noble and less so. Anyone on the KronPrinz’ side whose role required they move around was at risk.

But they hadn’t a reliable measure of how dangerous. Rumors ranged from beatings of liberals to vanished ministers and newspapermen. Rensselaer had ventured that the missing people had simply gone into hiding, as had the KronPrinz… For that matter, as had they, themselves, in a sense. They appeared only when necessary, and usually in disguise. The fact remained that one Kaiser was dead, at whose hand, ultimately they could not say. And a coup, of sorts, was obviously underway, though no one could say how desperate the plotters were.

Deputy Richard Oëster had been the last of them to arrive, to complete the party. He was a welcome addition. As chief deputy of the LiberalDemokratietPartei, he was a powerful man in terms of the votes and influence he brokered in the Reichstag. But one would not know his stature from the way he surrepititiously wiped at the sweat beaded on his forehead.

“I invited a guest,” Oëster said.

All eyes fixed on him sharply, some in fear and some in anger. They all froze.

“You will be glad when you see him,” Oëster assured them.

They didn’t seem to agree. “You should have asked us first!” Deputy Gerhard Niemann admonished sternly. He was one of the few senior Konservatives, like Rensselaer, who actively supported Waldemar.

“You…” Oëster ducked his head. “You would have told me no.”

Dempewolf made a vexed sound, and stood. His size, not all of it fat, and deep-set brows gave him a commanding appearance. “Let us depart, and reconvene elsewhere. I do not like surprises!”

Rensselaer waved him down, casually, though he didn’t look pleased, either. “Who is it, Richard?’

There was a knock at the door, and Oëster remained silent. Suddenly alarmed, Joachim Longanecker jumped up and strode urgently toward the frontroom with his pistol drawn.

He almost collided with the owner of the home, who was conducting their new guest into the library. Longanecker relaxed, and holstered his gun.

With expressions of shock, the assembled men watched as Philipp Eulenburg walked in. He just stood there with a sheepish grin on his face, mindful that he could call none of these men a friend, and aware of the conflicted emotions his presence must necessarily evoke.

Last edited:
ehm, who was Eulenburg again? :confused:

But I'm fairly sure he was one of the anti-Renss crowd, given their reaction ;)

Avernite said:
ehm, who was Eulenburg again? :confused:

But I'm fairly sure he was one of the anti-Renss crowd, given their reaction ;)
Eulenburg really hasn't been around much, except in the background. He appeared in minor parts in a couple of scenes as a very close friend of the Kaiser (Wilhelm II). He kind of took the position as back door advisor to Wilhelm II that Renss had held in previous administrations.

And Eulenburg was, generally, anti-Renss. He was part of the crowd that muscled Renss aside and replaced him -- Eulenburg, Kalkhorst, Holstein, Bulow. But some of his recent minor appearances had placed him at odds with Holstein (most recently, having called him "an ass" for his whole North Africa exploits). The judgment of historians -- Dr. Herz in particular -- has been that Eulenburg was a sincere friend of Wilhelm and that he meant to do right by him, even if he did bring the Kaiser into contact with the wrong crowd.

Eulenburg, too, is a historical figure, and quite as complicated in real life as here. Though in real life he did not have to face such a power struggle as this!

Rensslaer

Eulenburg.jpg

If one of the enemy camp has come to parlay, we can assume that either terms are about to be discussed, or Eulenberg has come to the other side and is offering his services. If the second, Wally and Co. had better be sure that they can trust him.

I'm glad to see Wally has realized that he can't hide and leave the field to his enemies (sorry, I'm a day late on that one, but wanted to echo my agreement on this issue.)

And like coz said, we've got one former "enemy" coming over to Wally's side, but can he be trusted and more importantly, what can he actually do for Wally to be of assistance? I guess we'll have to wait and find out, eh?