• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Using your vast trade empire to pay mercenaries to fight your land wars in Asia instead of your national manpower makes perfect sense!

yeap, use "colonial" troops now

Invincible Armada

Filipe II had been busy building ships. It was frigates at first- 10 frigates at time, then sent off to protect Portuguese trade somewhere. During the last year though, Portuguese had been building galleons. And a lot of them. By the end of the French war, Portugal had total 100 galleons in Europe (and 15 in Asia). Divided into two navies- Armada Real and Armada Unreal, these galleons meant that Portuguese would be invincible in the seas. Add to that 80 transport ships and around 60 frigates and you truly get an Invincible Armada.

52-spanish-armada-1588-granger.jpg

Armada sailing off

The time to test that invincibility came in August 1657, when Filipe II declared war on Great Britain, demanding Labourd from them. With them came Netherlands, Carib, Hainaut and Castile. Saxony too, but they were too far away to do anything meaningful.

The war started with Portuguese fleets attacking Netherlands outside Straits of Dover. As a result, the Dutch lost most of their fleet and retreating back to Netherlands. During this war, they were too scared to sail into open sea again.

portu703.jpg

Off with the Dutch in the beginning

Next was Castile- Portuguese defeated their nonexistent army in Burgos in late August and put their only province under siege. Same time, two Portuguese armies started the siege of Labourd.

portu702.jpg

Then, it was the Castilians

In September, news came- the English main army had been spotted. 40 000 strong. In Louisiana. Marching towards Adai, sole British colony in the area.Destroying the 8000 strong Portuguese American Army in the way.

portu701.jpg

Oops.. but seriously, Brits, what the hell are you doing there?

They marched to Adai, the sole English province in Louisiana and stayed there, until in December 1657, the Royal Navy- apparently also in America- grabbed half of them on board and sailed back to homeland. That was a mistake though- it meant that you transport more then half of soldiers away- what about the other 14 000 soldiers? When Mexico alone has over 40 000 troops? You can guess their fate...

portu700.jpg

Brits boarding ships in Adai

Meanwhile, the Portuguese made two landings to British Isles. 40 000 landed in England proper, took Kent and started the siege of London. Another 40 000 landed in Ireland, took Ulster and started siege of Meath. Since most of the British troops were in America, they met with no opposition. London fell in February 1658 and Portuguese moved onwards, starting the siege of next fortresses. There was still no British opposition around to stop them...

portu699.jpg

Fall of Lodon

Labourd fell in March and Portuguese troops there marched on to Gascoigne, currently occupied by Hainaut. The enemy was given a good thrashing and sent to run back home across France. They came back later, and again later, and were always driven back. Nothing much to mention here.

portu698.jpg

Hainaut driven back.

In April 1658, Armada Real caught up with Royal Navy in Celtic Sea, just outside Ireland. Armada Unreal raced to aid them, but arrived when the battle was almost over. The result was obvious though. Brits lost a few ships (including two transport ships, meaning 2000 soldiers less) and retreated back to Munster. In Ireland. Where there were currently 40 000 Portuguese soldiers and no forts to retreat back to...

portu697.jpg

Well, it did not went as great as i hoped it to go, but still, got British army into Ireland!

Meanwhile, another Portuguese army of 20 000 soldiers had reach Colombia and marched to Netherlands area. In May 1658, they took over Llanos and moved to grab the rest of Dutch Colombia.

portu704.jpg

Taking over Llanos from the Dutch

Meath in Ireland fell in July 1658. Meanwhile in England, Lincolnshire fortress had also fallen and Portuguese moved on to Marches. As in Ireland- the two armies combined, but before they could attack, the English themselves launched an attack on Meath. Poor stupid buggers, though generally speaking, this did not change much. They were beaten back and month later, the English Army was annihilated in Munster. As for the 14 000 left back to Americas, they fell prey to the Portuguese colonial forces. In Ireland, the Portuguese marched to take over the island- this time, without any opposition.

portu696.jpg

Ending the British Army

Munster fell in September 1658. That also meant that the Royal Navy was forced into the sea. Few days later, there was no more Royal Navy.

portu695.jpg

Good-bye again, Royal Navy

By November 1658, Portugal had taken all of Ireland. Armies were sent back to England, to help with the sieges. It was all quiet in England though, the sheer number of Portuguese forces seems to have incapacitated the enemy. There were small skirmishes between English units of few thousand and Portuguese armies.

portu694.jpg

Situation when Ireland fell

Only in January 1659, Portuguese caught up with the something resembling the English army in Lothian and annihilated them.

portu693.jpg

Last meaningful resistance of the Brits

Burgos had fallen quite some time ago, but the Castilians refused to give up. Hoping for the knight in shining armour or just English or some other allies. The Portuguese advancement in England showed them only one thing- there is no help coming. Finally, in January 1659, the Castilians understood there was no hope and accepted the peace with the Portuguese- resulting in their full annexation. After over 200 years since 1444, the Portuguese were finally sole masters of Iberian peninsula.

portu692.jpg

The end of Castile

Meanwhile, in America, Portugal had already around 60 000 soldiers in three armies. One of them was busy in Columbia, while the other one was sieging British colonies in the Caribbean. Third one attacked invasion force of Thirteen Colonies that landed in Yucatan Peninsula. Just two battles later, there was no more invasion force.

portu691.jpg

I cannot say why Thirteen Colonies thought this would be a good idea

In September 1659, disaster happened. British frigates caught Portuguese transports in attempting to make a landing in Bahamas. Total 34 frigates and 10 transport ships was enough for Brits to claim their first victory over Portugal. And a terrible victory it was- 15 ships, full of soldiers, sunk. One Portuguese army was reduced to five artillery regiments and that was that.

portu690.jpg

By the time i discovered it, it was too late

In October, the things got better. Portuguese signed peace with Carib, now totally controlled and occupied by the Portuguese, Colombian and Brazilian forces. Two-province native nation was annexed to Colombia, and also, all of Dutch Colombia was under Portuguese control.

portu689.jpg

Another native nation ended

In November, Portuguese got their revenge. Armada Real was recalled from the shores of British Isles and sent to Caribbean. Meeting the English fleet in Bahama Banks, the Portuguese showed no mercy- all of the enemy ships were sunk that day.

portu688.jpg

You dare to sink our ships? Here is our revenge!

It was in February 1660 when Portuguese forces entered Thirteen Colonies. To be fair though, colonial forces of Mexico, Louisiana and New Portugal had not been lazy, occupying southern part of Colonies themselves. Portugal proper attacked the colonists in Roanoke, and in April, wiped out British army, already weakened by the Mexican soldiers, in Blue Ridge.

portu683.jpg

Fighting in the Colonies

As for British isles- in July 1660, Aberdeenshire fell. It was the last province in mainland Britain not still controlled by the Portuguese. Actually, Brits had only one province left in Europe not under control by the Portuguese- Picardie in France. The Portuguese had been unwilling to enter the mainland for the simple reason- somewhere, there were Dutch fighting against France and Filipe II didn’t want to do something like wiping out Dutch armies by accident. So, while Portugal had been destroying England, Filipe settled with keeping the Dutch safely in their ports and fighting France.

portu686.jpg

With the fall of Aberdeen, all of the British Islands were under Portuguese control. With the exception of Scotland, of course

There were still some more minor battles in the New World, but the Portuguese victory was supreme. Finally in October 1660, Filipe II agreed to sign the peace and his terms were not light. In Europe, Portugal gained four provinces. Not only Labourd, target of this war, oh no. In addition, Brits were forced to give up control of Ireland. Yea, they still had two provinces there, but Portuguese had three. And the only fortified province in Ireland as well.

portu684.jpg

This is it. The war is over. Finally.

It was in the New World where the peace hit English hardest. Great Britain lost two colonial nations, Caribbean and New Mexico. Plus, their single province in Louisiana. Also, six provinces from Thirteen Colonies were given to New Portugal. That is still not all though- Dutch Colombia also ceased to exist. All of their provinces were given to Portuguese Colombia. Most of the Caribbean area was now Portuguese- with an exeption of Norwegian colony that was just founded in Honduras.

portu685.jpg

After this war, America looks definately green...

Meanwhile in China

Seeing that war in Europe was going successfully, Filipe II risked another war, this time, in China. Against Wu, once proud holders of Hangzhou, now just two-province nation. War was declared in November 1658. Allied with Shu, in Western China. Nothing much to talk about, enemy was wiped, provinces were sieged, Portuguese marched across China to siege the capital of Shu before the enemy gave up. War ended in December 1659, with Jinhua and Ningbo becoming Portuguese- and first Ming successor state being annexed by the Portuguese.

portu687.jpg

Wu down, five left
Other Matters

There was a lot of colonial growth at that time. Mostly because Filipe II was putting a pressure on Portuguese treasury and went happily over the limit of four colonists. Mocama in Florida, January 1658. Chinook in California, March 1658. Guale in Florida, July 1658. Pensacola in Florida, November 1658. Sakam in Island of Taiwan, February 1660. Finally, Llanos, just taken from the Dutch, became self-sufficient in October 1660. It was still enough time to populate it with the Portuguese colonists.

Last edited:
This it it. I think it is the most successful war i have ever waged. After all, in Europe, four provinces from Britan. Plus one from Castile. And also, Castile wiped from the map. In America, British Mexico, Dutch Colobia and British West Indies destroyed. Three colonial nations with one strike. Plus, British colony in Louisiana. Plus, six provinces from Thirteen Colonies. Total score: 24 provinces. I think. Might have misconunted, i'm running out of fingers and toes. :p Plus, two from Wu as well.

Also, i think this is the longest chapter :)

I think it is safe to say France is no longer in the top three in Europe. No, I'm pretty sure that rank is now Great Britain. The BBB isn't much of a threat anymore, though you'll eventually have to fight again for that missed colony.

Coming back to you- see why Great Britan is definately not a third nation in Europe :p

Using your vast trade empire to pay mercenaries to fight your land wars in Asia instead of your national manpower makes perfect sense!

I've done it before i've gotten rich, when Portugal was still having one army of 20k soldiers in Asia. But yea, paying them is totally worth the money. Only, you cannot consolidate regiments- too much hassle to ship new ones over, you can just suffer through the costly reinforcement period.

yeap, use "colonial" troops now

Well, this war saw extensive use of colonial troops. Unfortunately, i don't control the poor buggers. :p

First things first... Castile is no more! It only took Portugal a few centuries.

As for Great Britain, that was devastating. They'll take a lot longer to rebuild their navy than you will. Losing most of Ireland and three colonial nations... you just beat them worse than what you did to France. I guess that means Scandinavia is the third most powerful European nation.

yeah! finally an united Hispani.... I mean, Portugal... btw, what are you going to do with your new Irish subjects?

Four more colonies south of Lake Michigan and four on the west coast of Mexico and you'll essentially have claimed Africa, South America, Australia, and half of North America for Portugal. Three and a half out of seven ain't bad, and once you throw in all the world's oceans you effectively own you should have a controlling interest in world trade.

I expect the founding of the Earth Trading Company soon.:p

Cleaning Aden

In February 1661, Filipe II declared war on Oman. Currently, the nation controls almost all provinces in Southern Arabian peninsula, plus an island of Socotra. The plan is simple- relieve them of these bothersome holdings. They were allied with Sind, former controllers of Indus node, Qara Qoyunlu, the middle-sized power in Persia and Afghanistan, on their way of becoming a major power in the area. As for Portuguese- 40 000 soldiers in Oman, 40 000 in India.

First Portuguese stop was Sind. Their province of Sehwan was woefully undefended and taking quick advantage of that, Portuguese took over the area and started the siege of Sind capital in Bhakkar. Soon as this happened though, Afghanistan forces carried. In Battle of Sehwan, they were defeated- to the last man, no less.

portu714.jpg

First battle of the war- and utterly successful one

As for Oman- the provinces in South Arabian Peninsula were woefully undefended. Because most likely Oman thought not a soul wants these- to be honest, they are quite worthless. Still, Oman marched to meet the Portuguese. In May, after the Battle of Mahrah, they marched no more. Portuguese split up- one army started taking the undefended provinces, the other started the siege of Masquat, the Omani capital.

portu713.jpg

Destruction of Omani forces

In August, Qara Qoyunlu forces arrived to Sehwan. Portuguese, just finished with the siege of Bhakkar, attacked them. That was three battles in this war and three armies wiped out.

portu712.jpg

HAT-TRICK!

In the end of August, Filipe II forced Sind out of this war. Though not enough for Sind to accept total annexation, the Portuguese took two out of three of their provinces, and left Sind as one-province nation. Oh, and Sehwan is producing silk, the most valuable trade good.

portu711.jpg

Another two provinces, another nation almost down

Jeddah became under siege by Qara Qoyunlu in early 1662. Province next to Mecca, this was way out of way for Portuguese soldiers. They were busy occupying Oman and could not spare enough soldiers to attack Qara Qoyunlu. But, this is where Portuguese fortresses come to play. With meager 7 regiments of artillery and no naval presence in the area, good luck trying...

portu710.jpg

Heh, good luck with that

Meanwhile, Portuguese left only one army to India and they took Kalat, the Afghanistan border province. Hoping that when controlling the province will stop further Afghani incursions to Portuguese India- but the bastards took an indirect route, sneaking 23 000 soldiers to Sehwan. Well, Portuguese attacked anyway- and despite their small numerical superiority, beat the Afghans back. The Final Battle of Sehwan, in June 1622 was last battle of this war as well.

portu708.jpg

Final (meaningful) battle of the war.

Hormuz, the last province of Oman, fell in October 1662. The result- total 9 provinces from Oman. All of Omani provinces in Aden node became Portuguese. Not that made much difference though, they all together were worth couple of frigates- but at least, Oman didn’t have them anymore.

portu707.jpg

All Omani provinces in Aden are Omani no more

The situation in Aden is better then before, but still, too much gold leaks to both Alexandria and Hormuz.

portu706.jpg

Aden still could use some work though...

Trail of Tears

Meanwhile, the new Portuguese conquests in North America were separated by either of two nations: New Norway of the Cherokee. New Norway... well, that would require war in Europe. Plus, they were allied with Russia, so that would drag. Cherokee on the other hand- no allies, just natives and so on- and Portugal just happened to have 40 000 soldiers in the area.

War was declared in November 1660. By June 1661, Cherokee were no more and lands of New Portugal now had a land bridge.

portu715.jpg

How else could it go?

Other Matters

Portuguese technology became better in February 1661. Result- better infantry shock and more production income. Nothing world-shattering this time. In November, Portuguese also improved Quality ideas, gaining less naval attrition. One more for full quality.

portu705.jpg

Hello, fresh new tech!

In January 1662, France and Netherlands finally signed peace, with Netherlands gaining Liege. Meanwhile, Augsburg war against Styria and France had ended as well. Result- Styria was dismantled, most of their lands distributed between Austria and Augsburg and Venice was release. Incidentally, Venice became Portuguese ally soon after Omani war.

portu709.jpg

Sucks to be France

Colonies: Alabama, New Portugal, October 1661. Cayenne, Colombia, April 1663. Kelang, Taiwan, May 1663.

Finally, after this war, Filipe II finally remembered- right, we have Benin as vassals. Time for annexation!

Oh well, i gained a bunnch of useless under 10 development provinces. Ah well, sometimes it's quantity over quality. And also, French getting a beating. Incidentally, both Bohemia and Netherlands managed to take Paris. And Styria is down from middle-sized power in HRE to three-province joke.

First things first... Castile is no more! It only took Portugal a few centuries.

As for Great Britain, that was devastating. They'll take a lot longer to rebuild their navy than you will. Losing most of Ireland and three colonial nations... you just beat them worse than what you did to France. I guess that means Scandinavia is the third most powerful European nation.

Aye, i'm mighty proud of myself as well :) Both annexing Castile and kicking Great Britain firmly in the buttocks. And it's either Scandinavia or Bohemia- though, the French are down, not out. Yet.

yeah! finally an united Hispani.... I mean, Portugal... btw, what are you going to do with your new Irish subjects?

Haha, let's just leave it with united Iberia :p And as for Irish- first, i'll make proper catholics out of them. Then, i'll use them as a base to take over the British Isles. Eventually :p

Four more colonies south of Lake Michigan and four on the west coast of Mexico and you'll essentially have claimed Africa, South America, Australia, and half of North America for Portugal. Three and a half out of seven ain't bad, and once you throw in all the world's oceans you effectively own you should have a controlling interest in world trade.

I expect the founding of the Earth Trading Company soon.:p

Hehe, true that. Though, by the end of game, i plan to control even more :p Actually, there is just a few European nations colonizing, they shoulnd't be so hard to beat. Well, Great Brtian managed to entrench themselves quite well in North America, ,but the rest are just a few wars away from defeat :) And i wish there was something like Earth Trading Company

More power in the Middle East. Those provinces might not bring a lot of money in, but at least Portugal's font is bigger. Besides, the more money for Portugal, the better.

Ah, the Cherokees... Poor natives. Still, nice to have your territory connected. Now to just get rid of New Norway.

it 's incredible that almost none revolts have taken place in the Empire

Nice conquest of England: a little disappointed you didn't get all the Irish provinces and release the Irish Nation! Free the irish!

P.D.: Micromanaged my armes better with mercenaries in the front, the big chunk of the army just in a province nearby (I didn't know occupied provinces didn't cause attrition) and small, efficient sieges. First time in years that I have manpower left! Thanks! :)

Conquest of Alexandria

In May 1663, Filipe II decided to move further against the Muslim nations of Near East. He declared war on Hedjaz, nation populating Arabian Peninsula. With them were Mamluks and Baluchistan, in Gulf of Persia.

It was the Mamluks that made the war interesting. They had holdings in both Mediterranean and Red Sea (though some of it had been lost to Ottomans) and one of the first things that happened was Portuguese European armadas sailing in and blocking all Mamluk coastal areas in Europe.

In June, Portuguese crossed the Hedjaz border, attacked their puny defence army and moved inland. That was the end of Hedjaz- they never got enough chance to gather more armies and rest of it was just sieging and occupying- more of the latter, for there were not any fortresses besides their capital as well. Incidentally, their capital fell with just 31 days.

portu728.jpg
õ
Not even worth mentioning much...

Also in June, one of Portuguese European armies started their invasion of Cyprus. That island would give Portugal strategic control over Eastern Mediterranean, so Filipe planned to grab that from the peace as well. It fell with 100 days of siege, in October 1663. From there, Portuguese made another invasion- this time, to Alexandria.

portu727.jpg

Invasion of Cyprus

In addition, Portuguese transport fleet moving troops to Asia became under attack by Mamluks in Coast of Natal. Apparently, the Mamluks were in the painful process of moving their fleet from Mediterranean to Red Sea and Portuguese just happened upon it. In the end, the Portuguese Zanzibar fleet just happened to join the battle as well and as a result, Mamluk fleet was destroyed. Poor enemies, drowning so far from home...

portu726.jpg

Poor Mamluks, they have to move their fleet across the Cape- and then, this happens

In September, Mamluks marched their army to Tajura, a Portuguese fortress in the Red Sea coast. It wasn’t until in December 1663 when Portuguese attacked them. But they attacked with ferocity- by the end of the battle, there was no Mamluk army no more. That is the second of three allies destroyed.

portu724.jpg

The sad end of Mamluk armies

Finally, Baluchistan- they marched to Sehwan, recently conquered province that was not really equipped with proper fort yet. At least, they picked the most logical target. Not that it did them any good- In January 1664, Portuguese army attacked them there and though the Baluchistan defeat was not complete, the Portuguese still killed around half of their army and forced them to march back.

portu723.jpg

Defeating the last of the enemies. No hat-trick this time

Portuguese marched after them and put Baluchistan capital Gwadar under siege. Then, Filipe II signed a separate peace with them, forcing the enemy to empty their treasury and get out of the war.

portu721.jpg

Baluchistan is out of the war

In April 1664, Portuguese put Cairo under siege. Mamluk capital hadn’t seen any upgrades to their fortification systems and thus was an easy prey. It fell in July 1664. Incidentally, it was also the last fortress the enemy had. Compared to Europe or even Asia, fighting in Near East is easier.

This was it again. In September 1664, peace was signed. Hedjaz was forced to give up all the provinces they had bordering the Red Sea and all the provinces in Aden node. From Mamluks, Filipe II demanded the jewel of the Mediterranean, city of Alexandria. And the Nile Delta. Incidentally, leaving Cyprus the only coastal province in the Mediterranean Mamluks still have.

portu720.jpg

Hello, Alexandria!

As for Alexandria, Portuguese power in the node was now ultimate and the amount flowing towards Genoa each month added a nice boost to Portuguese income.

portu719.jpg

Some of the Eastern Mediterranean trade. Portugal is beginning to be a player in this venue as well

More of Aden

Kaffa, a Coptic nation in Ethiopia, had broke through to the Indian Ocean, taking a few provinces from Ajuuraan. The problem was the Portuguese had long claimed these provinces to themselves- and Filipe II was about to collect.

Declaring war on December 1664, poor Kaffa had 80 Portuguese regiments ready at their border. Can you guess the outcome? Well, i image you can. The only thing worth mentioning in this war is the Battle of El Buur in April 1665. Portuguese destroyed the Kaffan army of 28 000 soldiers, losing just a few thousand soldiers in the progress.

portu717.jpg

Another battle, another show of Portuguese supremacy

Peace was signed in September 1665, after the Kaffan capital of Mora fell. Portuguese didn’t ask much- just the coastal provinces of Aden. Now, just Ajuuraan has some provinces in Aden. Besides Portugal, of course.

portu716.jpg

East Coast of Africa is slowly starting to look Portuguese as well

Other Matters

In September 1663, Portuguese colony in Yakutat became self-sustaining. This was the first Portuguese colony in Alaska- and it just leaves Canada as the area where Portugal has no colonies. Still, it was a cold place to live...

portu725.jpg

First colony in Alasta

In May 1664, Portuguese completed the annexation of Benin. With that, every single province in West Africa- from Moroccan provinces to Cape, is Portuguese.

portu722.jpg

Hello there, complete domination of West African Coast

In September 1664, Venice decided that their future would be with Portugal- they accepted the vassalization. Recently liberated Dukedom would lose their independence soon, but Portuguese rule was benevolent and left the ruling Duke in power- so it was all good.

In March 1665, Portuguese completed the quality ideas. Better artillery and extra discipline- with the quantity, Portugal has lots of quality troops.

portu718.jpg

Finally, full quality

Acutally, Alexandria wasn't even part of my plans. I thought that i'll just get Cyprus and be over with it, but the war went so nicely successful that i got just what i wanted from Hedjaz and had enough warscore left to claim both Alexandria and whatever the second province was- incidentally, the only special trade provinces in Alexandria.

More power in the Middle East. Those provinces might not bring a lot of money in, but at least Portugal's font is bigger. Besides, the more money for Portugal, the better.

Ah, the Cherokees... Poor natives. Still, nice to have your territory connected. Now to just get rid of New Norway.

Well, some of them are spice-provinces. Properly boosted, they can at least stop Aden from being dirt-poor. And just New Norway? Not the Thirteen Colonies? :p

it 's incredible that almost none revolts have taken place in the Empire

Nah, there have been plenty. Nothing worth mentioning though. Every independence revolter gets their chance at least once. Basically, it goes like this- i conquer, core, then convert. Usually sometime between coring and conversion they revolt, then get the recently revolted bonus and stay silent until they are integreated.

Nice conquest of England: a little disappointed you didn't get all the Irish provinces and release the Irish Nation! Free the irish!

P.D.: Micromanaged my armes better with mercenaries in the front, the big chunk of the army just in a province nearby (I didn't know occupied provinces didn't cause attrition) and small, efficient sieges. First time in years that I have manpower left! Thanks! :)

Free Irish Nation Under Benevolent Tyranny of Portugal seems much more better :D

And every province causes attrition, just i think occupying it raises the limit a bit. But bring 200 000 soldiers to Paris and they will start dieing too. Actually, when click on an army and over your mouse over the province, you'll see supply limit of that province. Use the info to plan how you deal with your armies :)

Ah, now Alexandria is in the Portuguese Empire. Seeing as you're running out of targets elsewhere, I guess you'll be fighting a lot more wars in the Middle East soon.

Full quality is excellent news for Portugal. Not necessarily needed, but good news nevertheless.

You know what must be done once your carousel of DOWs swings back to the Middle East: War with the Ottomans for the a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶t̶i̶g̶e̶ Holy Land and the Suez!

I don't think any other war would even really challenge you at this point anyway.

To Conquer Naples and Die

In September 1666, Filipe II declared war on Naples- with one simple goal, take Naples. And rest of the western provinces of Naples as well. Naples were allied with Savoy, Tuscany and Styria. The latter reduced to basically nothing, so there shouldn’t be a problem.

The war started with Armada Real hitting the Naples trade fleet. Result- there was no more Naples trade fleet and the Portuguese started blockading the Bay of Naples. Also, strait to Sicily was blocked, leaving the island secure from Naples invasion. All the war was going to be fought on Portuguese territory.

portu741.jpg

Traditionally, hitting tne enemy trade fleet for grand opening

First battle of the war was against Savoy though. Portuguese swarm crossed the border. Nearly 80 000 Portuguese troops attacked the enemy in Nice, and the result was nice as well. After this, there were no more Savoian soldiers. Portuguese started the sieges right away.

portu740.jpg

This was a nice battle

Meanwhile, Portuguese armies sent to attack the Neapolitans got stumpled. Oh, getting military access from Papal States, incidentally. The Neapolitans run away and Portuguese, arriving in Naples, just found out that there were no enemy armies no more. Smart move, actually. This way, the Portuguese caught up with Neapolitan army in Abruzzi. Papal territory. Mountainous Papal territory. Despite that, the Portuguese won, though the losses on both sides were about equal.

portu739.jpg

Attacking Naples in the most unfavourable conditions

Portuguese followed the Neapolitans as they run towards Verona. In February 1667, they attacked joint army of Naples, Tuscany and Styria there. And again, won and sent the enemy running.

portu738.jpg

Neapolitans picking up some allies

Again, the the Portuguese were hot on enemy tails and in April 1667, two armies met again- this time, outside Naples. As a result, the Neapolitan armies were destroyed and Portugal was given free reign of the area.

portu736.jpg

End of all allied armies

By July 1667, the Portuguese had also finished with Savoy. All their provinces were under Portuguese control, all their fortresses had fallen. Same applies to Tuscany- Venetians had taken their capital, Portuguese took over Verona. So, two peaces were signed that month. Tuscany gave Verona back to Venice while the Savoians lost Nice and Albenga. As a bonus, that meant that Portuguese Italian and Iberian holdings were now connected with a continuous line of provinces. It was during rule of Jaime I, back in 1508, when Portuguese gained Lucca as vassal. 150 years later, Italy is finally no longer separated by the sea.

portu735.jpg

Gaining land route to Italy- and giving Venice additional province

Meanwhile, the Neapolitan conquest took some time. Naples was under siege, additional army was sent to Sicily, from where they marched to Cantabria and put the second fortress of Naples under siege.

Naples fell in March 1668. Meaning the Neapolitan fleet would run to the sea, where Armada Real is waiting for them. It actually took two battles, but by June 1668, there was no more Neapolitan fleet. Nor army.

portu732.jpg

End of Naples fleet. Their army in the right is soon destroyed as well

It was in October 1668 when Calabria, the last province of Naples, fell. It was also time for peace- Naples was forced to give up every western province. Once, a powerful contender in the Genoa node, Naples has now just one province, Lucania, in the Genoa.

portu730.jpg

This is perfect- at least i don't have to build new forts

The Portuguese hold over Genoa was now higher then ever, though not absolute- for example, Papal States and Swiss still have too much power in the area. Still, all together, it is just fraction of Portuguese power.

portu731.jpg

Overview of Genoa. See how valuable Sevilla is

Meanwhile in America

Haida, the native nation occupying the almost uninhabitable lands of Sitka, were the northernmost native power. Sending Portuguese army there took quite some time- after all, the poor buggers had to sail across Strait of Magellan, then all the way north again. Still, from December 1665 to March 1666, the Portuguese fought there and in the end, forced integration of the native nation.

portu743.jpg

The most useless of all the conquests, in the most useless colonial nation

Meanwhile in Africa

Ajuuraan, once a powerful nation in the Horn of Africa, is now reduced but to a few provinces and no allies. Filipe II ordered war against them in May 1667. Their soldiers were less then 10 000, their only proper fort was unmaintained. Need i say more? By October 1667, Ajuuraan was forced to give up all their coastal provinces. Now, Portugal controls almost all East African coastline, with the exception of one-province Kilwa southwards and two Mamluk provinces in the Red Sea zone. Oh, and most of Mediterranean Africa too. And now, Portugal controls all the provinces of Aden

portu734.jpg

With that, Portugal controls all the provinces of Aden and all but three in East African coast

Other Matters

In April 1667, Chortli in Honduras became self-sustaining. The last provinces in Mesoamerica had to be colonized- Norway reared their ugly little head and started colonization efforts there. Now, Filipe II had to use two settlers to block them from further advancement.

portu737.jpg

Ehh, Norway- did you really think it would work?

In January 1668, New Norway thought it would be a good idea to attack New Portugal. Understandable why, New Portugal is still struggling to accept all the nice new provinces they got from Thirteen Colonies and Cherokee. Still, some pocket change from Portugal proper, around 1000 ducats or so, should help them cope.

portu729.jpg

Whatever way you look at it, this is not a smart move. But yay, first colonial war!

Death of the Emperor

Filipe II was already 65, when he finally passed away in January 1668. His son, Manuel de Avis, took the Portuguese throne as Emperor Manuel I. He was already 36 at the time and his son, Sebastião, was already 16.

portu733.jpg
'
Long Live Emperor Manuel I! Ok, perhaps not so long...

Filipe II ruled Portugal for 40 years and during his time, the Empire saw unprecedented growth all over the world. By the time he died, he left behind a treasury so full of money that Portuguese needed a house with a size of stadium to collect it all- and also, incredible income that no other nation in the world could even dream of obtaining.

portu742.jpg

Over 100 000 ducats in treasury and bucketloads more each month.... There is no way in hell i'm gonna spend it all.

As for Manuel, he was one of the warrior-Emperors, preferring to be out in the field instead of ruling the nation.

So, this is the end of Filipe II de Avis. Well, he conquered far and wide and made Portugal unquestionable leader of the world. Oh, and this war ended surprisingly well, with Naples down in half, Italy and Iberia landconnected, all of Aden conquered etc. Looks like the old Emperor still had some kick left :)

Anyways, next time, eulogy of Filipe and then, it is time for Manuel. May his reign be short and successful and short!

Ah, now Alexandria is in the Portuguese Empire. Seeing as you're running out of targets elsewhere, I guess you'll be fighting a lot more wars in the Middle East soon.

Full quality is excellent news for Portugal. Not necessarily needed, but good news nevertheless.

Oh, i still have plenty of targets. Just not in the America. I could use more land in India and fight up to control Delhi. I could use more power in China and Siam. I should grab all the provinces of Malacca. End Kilwa. Perhaps, now that i control Alexandia, controlling trade in Ethiopia would be a bonus. In Europe, i have Pope, Great Britain, France, all Italian nations. Hmm, and controlling Ragusa would be benefitial. Plus perhaps, why not try to get a land bridge from Iberia to Alexandria- and from there, to all of Africa.

And full quality makes the European fights easier. Not really needed for other ones, yea.

You know what must be done once your carousel of DOWs swings back to the Middle East: War with the Ottomans for the a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶t̶i̶g̶e̶ Holy Land and the Suez!

I don't think any other war would even really challenge you at this point anyway.

Why did you think i attacked Hedjaz? :p Now, i have a nice connection to Ottoman territories, so i can claim/grab Suez and Jerusalem. But i doubt that Ottomans would prove enough challenge. They have lost Constantinople and nearby areas to Commonwealth and they are split into two without Portuguese blocking the Bosporus. Only true rival left for me is Commonwealth. And perhaps Russia as well.

warrior Emperor might find an honorable end on the battlefield...

"Hey, New Poutugal, use this massive hoard of walrus tusks and furs we got from Alaska to fund your war effort!"

Also, the Pretty Border gods are pleased!