• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is the End!

Conquest of Africa

In previous war, Kaffa had lost everything that made them strong- their fortresses, their rich provinces, their army. Now, they were just a shadow of the power they used to be. And when Duarte declared war on them in March 1812, they were soon even not that.

porta197.jpg

Here we go- Kaffa will soon be overwhelmed

Their army destroyed, Portuguese overwhelming their lands. They were not able to offer any meaningful resistance and in March 1815, last of the African nation fell. All of the continent now belonged to Portugal, making it the fourth continent completely under Portuguese power.

porta198.jpg

All Africa is now conquered by Portugal

Final War

Both Burgundy and Hainaut have been a thorn on Portuguese side. Mostly because they are in the way of Portuguese marching north from Italy, forcing the armies to take long detours. Duarte thought to fix that issue, so in April 1816, he declared war on Burgundy.

porta199.jpg

Starting off

Three minors in Europe were no match for Portugal. Armies of Hainaut, Burgundy and Austria were overwhelmed and then, Portuguese swarmed on their territories, put them under siege or under occupation and thus, the war ended.

porta200.jpg

This is one of the real easy wars

In July 1818, peace were signed, with Hainaut and Burgundy losing all their territories and Austria losing also one.

porta202.jpg

Two more annoyances removed from the map

Death of Duarte
In March 1818, Duarte died. His son, João took the throne as João III. He signed off the last peace settlements and after that, Portugal took much calmer turn, for João wasn’t the conquer his predecessors were. He desired peace and prosperity and under his rule, Portugal prospered, but didn’t conquer no more.

porta201.jpg

Change of power in Portugal once again

Construction of Kiel Canal

In September 1819, Portugal finished construction of Kiel Canal, ensuring that Portuguese can now sail freely from Baltic Sea to North Sea. It was the last of the channels, but it was no way the monumental project the Suez and Panama ones were. And with less impact as well.

porta203.jpg

Final Canal Finished

And with it, the story of Portugal ends. Duarte was a good emperor, expanding Portugal even further and finalizing some things Alfonso V had started. Portugal was without question the dominant power of the world....

porta204.jpg

This is it- Portugal in January 1821

porta196.JPG

Final overview of Portuguese monarchs as well. Duarte actually did pretty well

Ladies and gentleman, this is it. The final chapter to this AAR. I'll do some overviews and stuff as well, but nothing new will happen in the Portuguese Empire.
Thank you all for viewing, commeting and being a good audience. I hope you enjoyed this AAR as much as I did writing it.

Also, i wasn't planning something as boring as conquest of Hainaut and Burgundy as my last war. Oh no, i was preparing for something more grand. Like dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and all-out war in Germany. Only to find out that "You cannot declare war on member of HRE when you are already at war with some member of HRE". Like, why institute that malus, Paradox? And so, my first afterword would be a nice list of things that can be improved in EU IV or even in EU V

But once again, thank you all! :)

Everywhere is Portugal. We are all Portugal. Praise be to Portugal!

As for even your colonial nations telling you to free the Papacy, I think you should just declare war on them shortly before the game ends and annex them right before the game ends, so no one has time to complain.

Not quite everywhere. Europe and Asia and still kind of free.
And heh, might be idea if that helps me to get rid of the annoying espionage events, but well, too late. :D

2000 ducats a month of income and you can only get a loan of less than ten thousand. I suspect that the loan system stopped scaling properly quite a while ago.

As far as Victoria II goes, I don't see any reason to unless you play as one of the few nations remaining in the world. I'd just wait for Stellaris and re-name Earth to Greater Portugal.

I guess so. Though, to be fair, with a monthly income of 2000, i don't really need a loan. I imagine Portuguese monarchs take their morning gold bathes.
And Stellaris is a brilliant idea, i was thinking of doing future AAR anyway :)

holy cow... I believe at least 70% of world's population speaks Portuguese by now

Well, yes and no. The cultures are still about the same, though i've spread Portuguese culture a bit. But at least the elite of conquered provinces speaks Portuguese, i'm not so sure about average peasant...

Four continents and the dominant power in two others. Portugal is the global power. You could seriously win against every other nation banding together. They cower in fear of Great Green Blob...

So weird still seeing 'Great' Britain stuck on their tiny bit of land. They did not do well in this timeline...

Sad to see this end, but it is still a satisfying end to a wonderful AAR. Well done.

Thanks for the ride! :)

damn! only one province was unsettled... but it was a really good AAR!

First, here are some extras. Showing the state of Portugal in 1821.

Culture. As you can see, Portuguese culture has slowly taken root in India and Malacca, plus also a bit in Africa. Rest are colonies. Oh, and some in Italy as well. Rest of Europe is totally not Portuguese. But hey, all of America is, apart from small exceptions in North.

eu4_map_POR_1821_01_01_3.jpg

Religion. Though the conversion is still in progress, all of India is Catholic, all of conquered China as well. Along with half of Europe. Conversion goes at a rate of around 4,8 provinces per year, so intake is usually greater then output though...

eu4_map_POR_1821_01_01_2.jpg

Armies. Didn't do the calculation, but my best guess is that Portugal has more solders under their flag then the rest of the world combined. So, be afraid. Be very-very afraid.

porta209.jpg

The same applies to navies. Portugal shows their true dominance here- not only does Portugal have once again more ships then any other nation, top five nations are Portugal plus colonies.

porta208.jpg

Income of 1820. As you can see, nothing compares to trade. And then production, but mostly trade.

porta207.jpg

Some nice pie charts about cultures and religions and such. And majority of provinces are grain, it seems...

porta206.jpg

Finally, economy window. As you can see, profit is nearly 2k per month, with forts taking up most of the expenses.

porta205.jpg

Four continents and the dominant power in two others. Portugal is the global power. You could seriously win against every other nation banding together. They cower in fear of Great Green Blob...

So weird still seeing 'Great' Britain stuck on their tiny bit of land. They did not do well in this timeline...

Sad to see this end, but it is still a satisfying end to a wonderful AAR. Well done.

Yes, there is obviously no stopping me... if only i had 50 years more, i would have taken it all...
Heh, and leaving GB alive is the most cruel thing i have done, i tihink :p
And thanks!

A calm end to a highly enjoyable campaign. Portugal sure has done a lot of amazing things over the years. Thank you for taking the time of writing this AAR, you have done a great job.

Thanks for thanking me! :) Glad you liked it.

Outstanding campaign. Out of curiosity, could you also provide us with culture and religion maps just to show how thoroughly you've remade this world?

And as you can see, your wish has been granted, along with some other info :) And thanks!

Thanks for the ride! :)

Most welcome! :)

damn! only one province was unsettled... but it was a really good AAR!

Nope, they are bugger provinces. Can't send colonists there. And thanks! :)

Reactions:
By my math, your army is nearly double everyone else the list shows combined. Combine that with your navy, I don't think you'd need to worry about petty things like infamy in V2. :cool:

Catholicism has spread to every corner of the world, so the Pope can just shut up about you declaring war on him every few years. I'd have thought Portugal culture would have spread more; in this world, who doesn't want to be Portuguese?

As for most provinces providing grain, I suppose that confirms you're still an empire of farmers. Oh well.

Well, with some experience under my belt, i can safely say that i know something about EUIV. Not all, of course, but still, a bit of something. And don't get me wrong, EU IV is a great game. But there are some nagging issues that can make the game a bit better... Here are some of my thoughts.

Things that could see some improvement in EU series:

Monarchs. Was fine in EUI to EU III, but now, with the brilliance of CK and CK2 out, things could use some improvement. Instead of mana generators, monarchs could be something so much more! Give us at least royal dynasty and some great other dynasties of the country. And children, so having an heir is something more then a popup. And brothers for heirs. And daughters to be married off in royal marriages. Doesn’t really have to be as extensive as CK, but at least make monarchs something else then stat creators you kinda forget about- oh, he was already 60? Didn’t notice. CK lite

Trade. While a significant improvement over previous EU, things are not as perfect as they could be. I mean, you have to control Ivory Coast in order to get trade from India? Or Zanzibar, for that matter? Or even worse, Gulf of Aden? And, if you are Japan, well, tough luck controlling your trade, unless you move your trade capital. Or any other nation that is located in start node.

Simple solution: forgot node-to-node hopping. Every trade node is connected to your capital (or trade capital). Instead, for example, you grab your trade from Goa and ship it directly home. IF you have enough trade reach. If not, you build bases. Well, colonies. For example, one in Ivory Coast, one in Cape, one in Zanzibar and that is enough to service your ships and allow trade from Goa to home flow without merchants deciding in Ivory Coast that hey, screw that, let’s go to London instead of Lisboa. During the wartime, these routes can be raided, the colonies can be taken, cutting the enemy off from all the profits. Ahh, imagine the fun when you close down Caribbean trade for Spain and they are powerless to stop you. Privateering the treasure fleet +10. As a bonus, this removes such ridiculous incomes as i get from +% from every node.

As for land routes- trade access, like military access. connecting nodes to your capital or to your closest port. So, for example, owning Crimea for Genoa actually makes sense. Otherwise, if you plan to make land trade, good luck getting along with all your neighbours enough to get the trade flowing. Hmm, and people who allow access get some tolls perhaps? But basically, making it possible for Genoa to grab a small piece of Silk Road, move trade through Crimea and then watch it all crumble as somewhere far in Asia, war breaks out and trade breaks down.

Minor matters:
Getting enough malus for conversion if the province is part of the trade company- too much pointless clicking, since you can add/remove province to trade companies without malus, you just have to remove the province and re-add after conversion. Adds nothing.

Military/naval limits- i think that these can be good guidelines to AI/player- meaning, optimally, your nation can support this amount of regiments. But the manpower/money should be enough to keep the armies in check- and if i’m a minor fighting against great power, then the need to field huge armies becomes a matter of life and death.

Overextension- again, mixed blessing. Or rather, artificial number to limit your expansion rate. More effective would be nice message saying during peace time: hello, dear player, coring these provinces would require 735 ADM power. With your current rate, you are gaining 5 per month, meaning 60 per year, meaning it will take you 12 and a quarter years of adm income to core ‘em all. You sure about that?

And allow me to declare war on another HRE member if i already am at war with some!

Well, that all could be put into one small point- less additional artificial limiters, please!

Have any plans for another different AAR, whatever you do next you deserve a long lengthily break!

Well, the first thing i'm planning to do is one long break, yeah :)
After that, well, i have some ideas. CK2 as Estonia. Transforming to feudal, reforming suomenusko (or going as scandinavian religion just for extra kicks/difficulty) and raiding the crap out of Europe. HoI4 as Soviet Union. Though i'm afraid this will be a bit too dark and will go against forum rules. Hating Soviet Union and trying to create "communist paradise" for the whole world though would make an interesting experience. And then there is Stellaris. Portugal in Spaace! :)

By my math, your army is nearly double everyone else the list shows combined. Combine that with your navy, I don't think you'd need to worry about petty things like infamy in V2. :cool:

Catholicism has spread to every corner of the world, so the Pope can just shut up about you declaring war on him every few years. I'd have thought Portugal culture would have spread more; in this world, who doesn't want to be Portuguese?

As for most provinces providing grain, I suppose that confirms you're still an empire of farmers. Oh well.

Yea, but having army/navy twice the size of everyone else makes pretty dull gameplay. And also, didn't your pops get kinda uppity if your infamy was high enough?

And yea, the Pope is swimming in money/power and still hates me. Shame i didn't have time to take all other Catholic countries, then it would have been too much- just Pope and me, hating each other :) And apparelty, most of the world doesn't want to be Portuguese. Still, is three continents of Portuguese not enough? :)

Well, and industrialization is still beginning :p

Reactions:
Enjoy your long, well-earned break. Hopefully I'll spot your next AAR once you start it. Both the Estonia and Soviet Union ideas sound interesting.

I agree with your premises about EU4 improvements