• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Urloc the Great

Colonel
43 Badges
Mar 10, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
So far, the last time I have seen Karlings on the map was with the 1066 vanilla start where they hold the county of Vermandois. Are there other (especially later) starts where Karlings still exist?

Well they historically die out around 1120 so 1066 seems appropriate for the last start date you'd see them.

So that's why I've never encountered them. Didn't know that they lived this long, only learned about it recently when I saw an older challenge where you start as Karling in 1066.

depending on definitions, karlings might have not went extinct at all IRL, but most of us might atbe karlings this point. Brrr... just the thought nakes me shiver.

depending on definitions, karlings might have not went extinct at all IRL, but most of us might atbe karlings this point. Brrr... just the thought nakes me shiver.
Realistically if you have western European ancestry you are almost certainly a descendant of Charlemagne (through an illegitimate line, but so is good old Herbert Karling in 1066), albeit in the female line. That's what happens when you have 1200 years of descendants to deal with (and a tendency towards being upper-class early on, making it easier to have more kids and have them survive and pass on their genes).

Realistically if you have western European ancestry you are almost certainly a descendant of Charlemagne (through an illegitimate line, but so is good old Herbert Karling in 1066), albeit in the female line. That's what happens when you have 1200 years of descendants to deal with (and a tendency towards being upper-class early on, making it easier to have more kids and have them survive and pass on their genes).

isnt that kinda scary and disgusting ? :D to be a karling

Not only illegitimate line but also female line. Genetics also transfer trough females (obviously;)) but dynasties often end with them.

The basic rule of thumb is that for a discrete geographical area (such as Europe), the chances of being somehow descended from a particular person becomes highly likely IF they have known modern descendants (as Charlemagne does) after about the 1000 year mark. Essentially everyone in Europe is descended from everyone living in 9th century Europe who has surviving descendants. And of course, any ancestor of those people.

This is slightly complicated by the various modern migration patterns, but holds up mathematically. However, this doesn't mean you actually carry any of Charlemagne's DNA, either:

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

Last edited:
1081 is the last start date with a playable Karling, Adele Karling. Really tough start
Yeah, that's not an easy one. She's like 40yrs old or something, married patrilineally, and I think even has a non-dynastic heir or two. Probably have to get your hands quite dirty if you want to save the Karling line.

Edit: Apparently I was totally wrong about her age. She's only 19 and she has two daughters. Could have sworn she was up there in years, because I thought I did a game as her at one point. Weird.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not an easy one. She's like 40yrs old or something, married patrilineally, and I think even has a non-dynastic heir or two. Probably have to get your hands quite dirty if you want to save the Karling line.
A few bastards she can legitimize might help. Older siblings can always be given to the Church.

I reckon spend her last remaining fertile years on seduction and get the other kids into holy orders or married outside the realm (assuming the laws make that a good idea).

Look for a divorce as well and remarry on her own terms? I can see it being doable without murder.

I might have to try this. If shes 40 you got 5 years to get an heir or you restart. seduction focus would only work if your affair is discovered, chances are the ai husband will claim the kids as legit his. Depending on her intrigue score you prob dont have 2-3 years to hang around waiting for the kill plot to fire. Best bet would be ask for divorce and if the answer is no make husband a commander and try to get him dead asap. Hire the victual brothers, make him a commander and leave him at sea? if shes a countess you prob cant afford that...

A lot depends on the husband - if he's Paranoid, Cynical or high Intrigue it's likely he'll find out the truth, and there's ALWAYS some chance.

As well, if you're using the Seduction Focus method there's a good chance of discovery of the affair. If you're a known adulteress, the divorce should be easier to swing, or at least he'll be more likely to investigate the pregnancy.

Marry her to your courtier son or brother, and then keep seducing her. The child will be either your son, grandson, or nephew. Win-Win for everyone. The blood is saved.