• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
depending on definitions, karlings might have not went extinct at all IRL, but most of us might atbe karlings this point. Brrr... just the thought nakes me shiver.

No wonder the world is so weird, everybody has a bit of a mix of Karling and genghis khan genetics!
Cheers,
Dan

No wonder the world is so weird, everybody has a bit of a mix of Karling and genghis khan genetics!
Cheers,
Dan
Well.. despite the near certainty of *descent* from Charlemagne, the number of generations makes it highly unlikely you actually have any of his genes, unless you're a direct male line or female line descendant (and we know no one is), and even then it's only a tiny fraction of your gene pool. Because of the way zygotes form, you will pass a random mix of your mother's and your father's genes on to your kids. The further back you go, the less chance of any genes from a particular ancestor.

Which is a good thing. You really don't want the Hapsburg result.

Realistically if you have western European ancestry you are almost certainly a descendant of Charlemagne (through an illegitimate line, but so is good old Herbert Karling in 1066), albeit in the female line.
Weren't Herbert Karling and the counts of Vermandois descended from Karloman? Not exactly an illegitimate line.

OK- so you start with 2 non-dynastic daughters and a husband in a normal marriage, but random stats-education-age.

And you have a brother, and uncle so there are other karlings- just not in line of sucession.

But the 1st Crusade kicks off almost immediately- so my theory is to try to grind Piety ASAP, then the second the crusade target is announced hire the two formed Holy Orders and March them there to win the Crusade with your brother as beneficiary.

Can confirm- 4 years from start I am King Eudes 'the Pilgrim' of Egypt, Crusader King and founder of the 1st Crusade Bloodline.

Last edited:
Well.. despite the near certainty of *descent* from Charlemagne, the number of generations makes it highly unlikely you actually have any of his genes, unless you're a direct male line or female line descendant (and we know no one is), and even then it's only a tiny fraction of your gene pool. Because of the way zygotes form, you will pass a random mix of your mother's and your father's genes on to your kids. The further back you go, the less chance of any genes from a particular ancestor.

Which is a good thing. You really don't want the Hapsburg result.

Oversimplified a bit no offense. Thing is, we are all the results of genetic inheritance with mutations (which yes is even more of an oversimplification). Now considering we share a high 90s percentage of DNA with most species. Chimpanzees have their DNA on average 1,2% different than ours. considering the number of nucleotides though it leaves a huge amount of variation left.
However let's skip the mitochondrial DNA (which was not mentioned or alluded to in the latter paragraph but would still be important) thing and go let's talk about Xs and Ys, if you will. leaving the almost certain mutation factor, which is still quite small in comparison in each, you will still carry some characteristics of you forefathers, thousands of years removed. they may be common, or not, but they'll be there, mixed in even if the rest got mutated or substitute by the hundreds of ancestor you had between those characters. Sometimes, the it will be simply a protein sequence that gives you crooked little toes, or nothing. but still there and that's in the singular pair of chromosomes I mentioned we could get complicated and go Recessive and dominant alleles. True, You can be a descendent (if far enough removed) and have no genetic similarity and it does increase with time. Soon enough Homo sapiens will be to our future selves what Homus erectus is to us. Soon, I mean in the hundreds of thousands of years. There's a recent study that suggests that over 20% of the population worldwide carries Y characteristics traced back to figures from the mid 9th century. Most East asian, Central nomadic asian, and middle eastern (west asia).

Now by no mean I'll say that everyone descends from them, I mean I just made a joke there in my post. Certainly the majority of people will be in any way related to either (specially in Sub Saharan Africa, which has the most genetic variation, due to a longer isolation from the early migrant populations that went north from our Eastern africa origins. But genetic drift is not quite as probable as you seemed (sorry if I misunderstood) to suggest, in that time span.
It also doesn't mean that just a minority will have one of those ancestries. And I definitely won't mean that the majority will. But a statistically relevant percentage will. You can have his genes from their brother, sisters, parents grandparents, etc. indirectly. I won't be HIS genes, but in that way Only HE has his Genes. His sons, had a part of them.
Thank the Lord for no Habsburgs lips and the myriad of other problems.
Point is sorry I went off topic, on both occasions, specially in this post. I'm bad at jokes.
Cheers,
Dan

Weren't Herbert Karling and the counts of Vermandois descended from Karloman? Not exactly an illegitimate line.
They were descended from Charlemagne's son Pepin, who, if I remember correctly, was first named Karloman, possibly as a gesture of respect to Charlie's dead brother... or penance, depending on the view. But he was later renamed to his grandfather's name Pepin.

The line was illegitimate because counts of Vermandois descended from Pepin's son Bernard, who was actually illegitimate. Nevertheless, they were considered Karlings, just not with the right to inherit anything serious.

They were reasonably big players in the period before 1066 (Vermandois was a rich territory), but by 1066 had been mostly reduced to regional actors at best. They had tried to grab various titles at different times. Bernard had briefly controlled Italy before being deposed in favor of his (legitimate) uncle. Once they moved to Vermandois, the counts were pretty much constantly scheming and causing trouble for the kings of France; if you start in 936, you are playing as the man who had deposed and imprisoned a previous king of France (the father of the one ruling in 936).

If you pop a 30 martial great warrior from the bloodline early it can definitely make whatever you are trying to do a lot easier. The negative would be you don’t have access to those juicy forged bloodlines down the line.

What things does it make easier? :)
Being a Karling means you have a lot of family prestige, that makes a lot easier to marry upwards. You do have a dynastic brother, marry him for claims, titles, alliances... and you're set. I've married him off to Matilda of Tuscany, sometimes. By the way, you can change the succession into Seniority, so your brother eventually inherits. That way you don't have to worry about your husband or non dynastic children. The Karling name holds a lot of power when negotiating marriages.

If you pop a 30 martial great warrior from the bloodline early it can definitely make whatever you are trying to do a lot easier. The negative would be you don’t have access to those juicy forged bloodlines down the line.
Historical bloodlines don't prevent the forge bloodline ambition. They're no-brainer positive.

Being a Karling means you have a lot of family prestige, that makes a lot easier to marry upwards. You do have a dynastic brother, marry him for claims, titles, alliances... and you're set. I've married him off to Matilda of Tuscany, sometimes. By the way, you can change the succession into Seniority, so your brother eventually inherits. That way you don't have to worry about your husband or non dynastic children. The Karling name holds a lot of power when negotiating marriages.

Good points, thanks! :)

@josefrees, as @Metanetwork pointed out the Karling bloodline won't interfere with forging a bloodline. :)