• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pre-ordering to support Paradox, and because I have faith in Paradox's quality control after Crusader Kings II and EUIV.

Huh? I see no preorder on steam, guess it's from somewhere else?

I too am more confident in Pdox since CK2 and EU4 and would really like to have HOI3 as a gift when preordering HOI4... nudge nudge wink wink.

And yet far from perfect at release. I still recommend the same thing I recommended 7 years ago - wait until patch 1.5 to start playing, but buy earlier to support them.

Same thing I recommend! :)

they should add a 10% discount if you own HOI3 and a 25% discount if you own For the Motherland.

Seeing as they did that with EU4, they might do it with HoI4.

Technically it's a marketing/sales call, but it seems unlikely.

Personally, I hope to make HoI IV pretty good game on release, and I think CK2 and EUIV were in good shape when they came out. If you disagree they were in good shape or have specific doubts about HoI, wait for reviews/video LPs/Demos closer to release and judge for yourself.
I have played EUIV almost from release and there was no game breaker. Little things here and there? Yeah, sure, stats and keeping things fair for sure, but nothing that made the game unplayeable. I cannot say the same from HoI 3 when it was released, and some of the issues are too big to be redesigned as is the case with supplies.

I don´t know how many of you working in HoI 4 worked in EU IV or CK II, but if you keep the same quality and methodology, I´ll be more than happy to preorder. Just being able to play a HoI3 where diplomacy has a real impact (to the point of being able to draw Italy away from the Axis or taking the US to the Axis) if you work for it or getting rid of the brutal micromanagement of brigades to make sure you have both appropriate names for your units and the composition you want, jeez, that would be a massive plus for the game.

I hope I can play a propper Spanish Civil War for once, which is probably the hardest conflict around that time to simulate due to the political, military and diplomatic strings played over there.

I just hope there's no Day 1 DLC. I'd like to not have to boycott this game.

I just hope there's no Day 1 DLC. I'd like to not have to boycott this game.

Another person who refuses to understand that Day 1 DLC is just as legitimate as any other kind of DLC. The devs literally cannot just randomly add things to the game after it goes past a certain point in testing, so any additional material (e.g., artwork, music) can only be profitably added to the game after testing ends.

You know, I didn't work for Paradox when HoI3 came out, I bought it on release too. So the last thing I want is other people having that experience again :s
I did not know that, and my apologies for blaming you for it. It was not fair or decent of me.

It is good - in general as well, not just this one case - to know that some of the PDS devs were users who have the same experiences as we have. Not only does that make you look like regular human beings, it's also reassuring that you will do what you can to avoid those past mistakes.

I am just sayin in this thread that Hoi3 when relaesed was an alpha version, semper fi was a beta, with for the motherland, the game was finally playable !

So I am really talkin to Paradox team : Don't to the same bullshit buisness plan with Hoi 4, am serious, even if hoi 3 is now good, but still HALF-DONE, i won't spend money and wait for several years this time.

Nowaday there are too many games that are released half-done, but they get fixed with FREE patches. Here you just named some patches "semper fi" 'FTM" and made us pay ! To get a playable game ! That's not normal ! dont do the same shit with hoi 4 ! I am really pissed-off about that.

And now you receive a 100% discount on HoI4? That's just unfair!

I did have to move to Sweden to qualify for it though!

I did not know that, and my apologies for blaming you for it. It was not fair or decent of me.

It is good - in general as well, not just this one case - to know that some of the PDS devs were users who have the same experiences as we have. Not only does that make you look like regular human beings, it's also reassuring that you will do what you can to avoid those past mistakes.

Don't worry about it, I didn't even take it that way, I just wanted to share that I had a similar experience.

I am just sayin in this thread that Hoi3 when relaesed was an alpha version, semper fi was a beta, with for the motherland, the game was finally playable !

So I am really talkin to Paradox team : Don't to the same bullshit buisness plan with Hoi 4, am serious, even if hoi 3 is now good, but still HALF-DONE, i won't spend money and wait for several years this time.

Nowaday there are too many games that are released half-done, but they get fixed with FREE patches. Here you just named some patches "semper fi" 'FTM" and made us pay ! To get a playable game ! That's not normal ! dont do the same shit with hoi 4 ! I am really pissed-off about that.

That's actually a neat thing about our new DLC model: Back when HoI3 came out Paradox could only budget for 3 patches per release, because you have to be making something you can earn money from to stay in business. HoI3 actually got a 4th patch just because it really needed it, above the budgeted 3. After that, it could not be worked on more unless there was a salable product attached, like Semper Fi, and then only people who bought SF got the benefit of the work put into it. That's all changed now, for newer games like CK2/EU4/HoI4 we can continue working on the base game for its budgeted patching time, plus as long as people are buying DLC - it's all one game rather than a set of discrete versions.

Still, again, we want it to be good on release and now to have longer development time and proper QA to help that happen.

Proutix... pls tell... WHAT is HALF-DONE in HoI 3? Why do you think HoI 3 is HALF-DONE?

and.. i only see you registered the collection and not Vanilla, FTM and TFH... but you talk like you played it since the release... can you explain that?

Proutix... pls tell... WHAT is HALF-DONE in HoI 3? Why do you think HoI 3 is HALF-DONE?

and.. i only see you registered the collection and not Vanilla, FTM and TFH... but you talk like you played it since the release... can you explain that?

Naval and air combat are more or less still broken. Espionage is useless.

That's actually a neat thing about our new DLC model: Back when HoI3 came out Paradox could only budget for 3 patches per release, because you have to be making something you can earn money from to stay in business. HoI3 actually got a 4th patch just because it really needed it, above the budgeted 3. After that, it could not be worked on more unless there was a salable product attached, like Semper Fi, and then only people who bought SF got the benefit of the work put into it. That's all changed now, for newer games like CK2/EU4/HoI4 we can continue working on the base game for its budgeted patching time, plus as long as people are buying DLC - it's all one game rather than a set of discrete versions.

I was explaining this exact same thing in the V2 forums at about the same time you were posting here. You should totally just put it in a permanent announcement entitled 'WE HAVE NOT ABANDONED ALL OUR OLD GAMES, THIS IS JUST SYMPTOMATIC OF DIFFERENCES IN PRODUCTION METHODOLOGY'. Cos everyone would read an announcement with such an exciting title.

Oh me, me!
Well the fact that the game back when it was released was in a horrible state is already covered, but even today there are many bugs (just two examples, in MP : upgrading of units doesnt work properly and practical/tech-decay ministers dont work either) and half-done features/things like the scenarios, the campaigns (except the main 36 start), the "theatre", the strategic warfare overview...yeah, if i spend 5minutes thinking i could probably come up with 20 more things.

And while im at it : In my opinion, paradox shouldnt waste their time on savegame-converters or battleplans. Please. They might sound good on the Steam page when you sell the game (so i understand the business value of those, nice to advertise with them i guess), but their ingame-value is none.

Really, everyone needs to stop complaining. HOI3 was not great on release. It was awful. However, a lot has changed since then. We have seen CKII and EUIV that were both delivered in a good state. The Devs will work to deliver a good product regardless of people complaining about HOI3.