• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does anyone at PDS watch/care about the Olympics?

I would expect most don't but I've watch some, especially the basketball which is something I've played myself.

Who does the Translations/Localization for your games?

We've used quite a few localisation agencies through the years.. You should find them in the credits of the game you are curious about.

Are you planning on bigger/better tutorials and manuals on game mechanics ?
Especially as you are looking for a broader market, i'd sprefer to see better tutorials/manuals than dumbdowning games.
The guys who like to do world conquest have problems with other ways like in CK2.
From reading the forum and youtube comments (LPs themselves) it seems they have problems understanding the possibilities of gameplay and give up,
while we nerds would even go through the files to understand whats going on and love it to a degree.
I believe the casual player would love to use all the options in CK2 if they would know them, but not knowing/understanding these options takes the fun away i guess.
Better tutorials, while obviously taking your time and money away, could surely help to improve on marketing and selling to a casual gamer and the broader market.
Just my 2cents. Thanks.

(edit) PS: i appreciate the tutorial and manual of CK2 a lot and I am glad that you are going in that direction, i was just wondering if and how you might plan something in this regard, while its obviously impossible to please everyone especially with such a complex feudal system like in CK2. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Are you planning on bigger/better tutorials and manuals on game mechanics ?
Especially as you are looking for a broader market, i'd sprefer to see better tutorials/manuals than dumbdowning games.
The guys who like to do world conquest have problems with other ways like in CK2.
From reading the forum and youtube comments (LPs themselves) it seems they have problems understanding the possibilities of gameplay and give up,
while we nerds would even go through the files to understand whats going on and love it to a degree.
I believe the casual player would love to use all the options in CK2 if they would know them, but not knowing/understanding these options takes the fun away i guess.
Better tutorials, while obviously taking your time and money away, could surely help to improve on marketing and selling to a casual gamer and the broader market.
Just my 2cents. Thanks.

(edit) PS: i appreciate the tutorial and manual of CK2 a lot and I am glad that you are going in that direction, i was just wondering if and how you might plan something in this regard, while its obviously impossible to please everyone especially with such a complex feudal system like in CK2. Thanks again.

We will always try to improve upon what we've already done, and to create the best tutorial possible. I wrote the one for CK2, and it is very hard to know what to address and not, since you can't really touch everything. We did have levels of the tutorial so you could choose how in-depth you wanted to learn, but we still got complaints. One I remember was a reviewer who wrote he was the prefect target for this game, but that we could not expect him to know what betrothed means. That was just a remark that caught me completely off guard and something I would have never expected.

Rambling on here. My point being, we're doing the best we can, and we will improve our tutorials for each game, but it is really, really hard to create an awesome tutorial!
If you have an example on a game with a really good one, I'd love to hear it. :)

I think having two things is necessary:

1. A good ingame tutorial that explains basically how to play the game.

2. An ingame encyclopedia to go over the finer details.

Paradox games have the former, but not the latter. An ingame encyclopedia (as in Civilization) might make things a whole lot less mysterious. You could also use it to display Wikipedia articles ingame on all the various countries/provinces etc.

CK2 already does exactly that ... ?

it opens them in an outside browser, so its not quite the same as having an ingame browser for wikipedia.

Adding an in-game encyclopedia or glossary would be a fanastic addition, actually. It should contain the most important concepts of the game and perhaps also some definitions on how various in-game numbers values are determined.

I live in Canada, and a coworker brought in a candy called "Bilar" to the office. I've since learned that this is insanely popular in Sweden. Are these candy cars popular with the paradox dev team?

Can't answer for anyone else but I definitely like them.

I live in Canada, and a coworker brought in a candy called "Bilar" to the office. I've since learned that this is insanely popular in Sweden. Are these candy cars popular with the paradox dev team?

They are nice. Not something I buy often, but it has happened.
I like how they have expanded the brand. For years and years, there were only bilar (cars), but now they have started selling spare parts like däck (tires) and some other stuff like that.

We will always try to improve upon what we've already done, and to create the best tutorial possible. I wrote the one for CK2, and it is very hard to know what to address and not, since you can't really touch everything. We did have levels of the tutorial so you could choose how in-depth you wanted to learn, but we still got complaints. One I remember was a reviewer who wrote he was the prefect target for this game, but that we could not expect him to know what betrothed means. That was just a remark that caught me completely off guard and something I would have never expected.

Rambling on here. My point being, we're doing the best we can, and we will improve our tutorials for each game, but it is really, really hard to create an awesome tutorial!
If you have an example on a game with a really good one, I'd love to hear it. :)

Thanks for answering.
I will think about the 'good tutorial' one, but how can there be any other good ones, if the only true complex games out there are Paradox games anyway ?
Your own is/will therefore be the first good one forever. :rolleyes:

Seriously, tutorials for Paradox games would need to be much bigger than with any other game i guess and that will be almost impossible to achieve.
Ingame manuals/glossaries instead of more work/cost intense tutorials might be better anyway.
As i see, you still believe in it and never give up the goal to get there.
Keep it up, Heroes of the real world !

PS: Ingame encyclopedias/manuals are great, actually i prefer these fullpage (visibly like a seperat book to switch to) to popups, but I aint the casual gamer to target. :cool:
Btw, wouldnt it be better and cheaper to have a big ingame manual/glossary instead of cost intensive tutorials and popups all over the place ?
I know that the young generation might prefer gfx gimmicks, but maybe not and its all a wrong idea. Maybe usefull ingame manuals/glossaries would be better, but i dont know.
Thanks for reading.

edit: I really cant think of a perfect tutorial, just a nice glossary from back in the days in "Imperium Galactica II", but i'm not sure about this statement. Just taking it from my memories.
Obviously i have to play more games again. Ouch.

Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking a bit, what if you made an ingame encyclopedia, and somewhat "wikified" it. Allow players to edit and write articles. When the ingame wiki reaches a suitably high standard, the article could be locked against future changes for posterity. By having the wiki displayed and accessed ingame, it would make things much easier to access and reference, and save people from the effort of always alt-tabbing. You could also have the forums accessible from an ingame browser.

Another alternative would be to have an ingame chatbox. If you're playing the game and signed in to some online service (either Gamersgate or Steam), if a player has a question they can ask the community at large. They will get an answer from some other anonymous player. If the player finds the player's response helpful they can rate it "helpful" which might give the player who takes the time to answer the question some kind of reward (EG Blue coins at Gamergate, whatever the equivalent is at steam, or some other kind of reputation points that can be spent towards perks). Players can also rate a response as "unhelpful" which will cause that player to be asked to answer things less often. Players can also flag people spamming, which will block help requests from that game key depending on how frequently they're flagged.

I'm thinking something similiar to how Demon Souls/Dark Souls manages to integrate social elements into their single player experience to help players overcome the learning curve.

it opens them in an outside browser, so its not quite the same as having an ingame browser for wikipedia.

Why cant you use the Steam browser for that, like the "ingame store" does it?

Actually, I was thinking a bit, what if you made an ingame encyclopedia, and somewhat "wikified" it. Allow players to edit and write articles. When the ingame wiki reaches a suitably high standard, the article could be locked against future changes for posterity. By having the wiki displayed and accessed ingame, it would make things much easier to access and reference, and save people from the effort of always alt-tabbing. You could also have the forums accessible from an ingame browser.

+1