• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've always wondered where did you guys find all them thousands of historical ministers, leaders and unit names for HoI. Including people who don't even have Wikipedia articles and pictures which you can find nowhere else on the Internet.

Time Travel machine, and Kallocain is an amateur photographer. ;)

I've always wondered where did you guys find all them thousands of historical ministers, leaders and unit names for HoI. Including people who don't even have Wikipedia articles and pictures which you can find nowhere else on the Internet.

We have great betas, and good historical researchers (King and scripters). If it is impossible to find in English, it might be found in any other language. The German, Spanish or French web pages or Wikipedia pages might be hard to find and translate (yes, Google Translate works but it often gives rather weird translations), but thankfully we often have a couple of betas whose main language is not English. They might be able to find things we cannot.

Don't you sometimes use good old books?

Don't you sometimes use good old books?

Yes, we do use books but Internet is vast, filled with information and, above all, free (well, not totally free but you get my point) ;) I have my back against a bookcase filled with books about history, programming and other relevant things but they don't get updated as fast as, say, a Wikipedia page does. It takes more time to go to a library, check out ten or more books on that particular subject you need to know more about, be it World War II, the kings of Europe or Russian literature, than just simply use Google to find it. Books are great, but we have a limited time and we would need much larger teams if we need to search for the information in books instead of relying on our great betas and what they may find on web-pages. Another great thing is that I can read about Nadezhda Durova, find that she was in this or that interesting battle or that she met this general, and just follow a link to another web-page to read more about it. A book cannot do that.

Wikipedia and other web-pages can sometimes be somewhat unreliable, but as long as they have cited sources it is as good or even better than an encyclopaedia. I have even heard that Wikipedia is more correct than an encyclopaedia as they use more sources and are more critical of sources than encyclopaedias might be.

Which historical person do you admire or inspires you the most?

What is your favorite country or region (except Sweden) to play as in most PDS games?

How will you punish Ralph's excessive curiosity? :)

Which historical person do you admire or inspires you the most?

What is your favorite country or region (except Sweden) to play as in most PDS games?

Eleanor of Aquitaine, Joan D'Arc, Catherine the Great...

It depends on the game and if I play single player or multi player. In CKII I like Novgorod or any Rus ruler, in HoI3 Russia, Victoria II Great Britain, Sengoku one of the northern clans, EUIII Japan.

How will you punish Ralph's excessive curiosity? :)

By answering all of his questions in the vaguest way possible?

Eleanor of Aquitaine, Joan D'Arc, Catherine the Great...

It depends on the game and if I play single player or multi player. In CKII I like Novgorod or any Rus ruler, in HoI3 Russia, Victoria II Great Britain, Sengoku one of the northern clans, EUIII Japan.

By answering all of his questions in the vaguest way possible?

Someone actually plays as the UK in Vicky?

Someone actually plays as the UK in Vicky?

Its really fun though, but damn challenging.. Nobody wants to ally with you of the other great powers.. Maybe you get a crazy Mexico player or italian minor that wants to be your friend, but Prussia, Russia, USA and France are always your enemy..

What was the exiting things in Gamescom? I have read somewhere that Johan and Besuchov were there.
I was also in the messe and the climate was terrible...

The maps that are created when you press F12... Why are they saved as BMP files and not as something much nicer, say, PNG? Is that because of some technical or legal issue? Or just, er, sloppiness? :p

No good reason, so I guess I have to go for "sloppiness" :p I will try to remember to change this in EU4 ;-)

Vic2 map is amazing and best map ever. Why doesn't all Paradox game use it?

AFAIK Pdox use a modified version of the Clause Engine and Vic 2 uses the previous version. While im sure they could revert, they wont and TBH i love how CK2 map is loaded on the main menu and begin the game that way. Takes you straight into the action!

Vic 2 map was also heavily based on a Modded map (Clio [stop me if im wrong]) for Vic1.