• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
EDIT: Nope, with a strike of luck I figured it out for sure this time, its the supply transfer cost per revoltrisk. Easily seen if you switch the setting to 100 and watch the supply die in china ;) I found this out the hard way while forgetting to switch the setting back and going on to play my very hard campaign as japan in china ;)

Thanks. A weird place to hide a variable. :D

Quick Q.: Are there no SP AA in game? If not, why not??

Cheers!

Quick Q.: Are there no SP AA in game? If not, why not??
Nope, they were not really used in large scale during WW2.

Might also be a balance issue, to make armor/fast divisions vulnerable to airpower.

You can attach slow AA to HQs though and strategically redeploy them to where needed pretty quickly.

Airbase size. I have a table from years ago (I have not played HOI 3 in a while and I just got FtML) that shows how the increasing amount of Airwings significantly affects that actual effective number of aircraft. Does the size of the airbase reduce this penalty? In other words, does a larger airbase increase the effective amount of airwings or does it just allow more supplies, or whatever?

Naval size. Related to that, does Naval base size have an affect on the number of effective ships (the more ships assigned to a base, the less the number of effective ships) or do they just affect Supply and Reorg?

Thank you

Some questions. Thanks

I have read the Manual, the Semper Fi and FtM land supplement and a lot of the Forum posts. Some of the posts are old so I cannot tell if things have changed, plus I am generally getting overwhelmed with all of this information. I was hoping I could get some help with some of these questions.

(1) Is it still true that it is better to just research a few things because of the Practicals and pay the massive research penalties (have one great tank, forget Strat go all Tac (if Ger), forget Arty, etc..), or has this been tweaked for balance?

(2) Did I read that you cannot sell supplies for Money?

(3) Did I read that leader promotions no longer remove the Experience?

(4) Did I read that Norway has no land units?

(5) When you have WASTED IC, is that WASTED IC still using Resources (2 Energy, 1 Metal, 0.5 Rare)?

Thank you again.

I have read the Manual, the Semper Fi and FtM land supplement and a lot of the Forum posts. Some of the posts are old so I cannot tell if things have changed, plus I am generally getting overwhelmed with all of this information. I was hoping I could get some help with some of these questions.

(1) Is it still true that it is better to just research a few things because of the Practicals and pay the massive research penalties (have one great tank, forget Strat go all Tac (if Ger), forget Arty, etc..), or has this been tweaked for balance?

(5) When you have WASTED IC, is that WASTED IC still using Resources (2 Energy, 1 Metal, 0.5 Rare)?

Thank you again.

Airbase: If you mouse over the airfield the tooltip should explain its limitations, same for naval base.

1. Thats the general strategy, you can try other methods and they may work, but for the most part finding a nice combo and redoing it over and over makes it very cost effective.

2. You can sell supplies for money but you need to be creating a surplus for some buyers to be ok with buying your supplies.

3. Right

4. Um....just load a game as norway and find out?

5. Yes.

1.) Situational, but to a certain degree yes. It's never worth it to try to build and research everything.
2.) You can.
3.) Promotions don't remove experience, but cause units to gain experience slower.
4.) Norway has land units.
5.) Wasted IC shouldn't use resources.

Is it possible to "break up the Soviet Union" in HOI 3? There's no country files for Ukraine, Belarus, etc., so I imagine it isn't, but maybe you folks know something I don't.

Along those lines, do any mods offer this capability?

Thanks for the last answer! Another one... I have two air corps composed of four INT each engaged in battle, and the leader of one of them is capable of comanding 8 units but I still got 70% stackiing penalty. Shouldn't he be able to handle with no problem?

Cheers!

Thanks for the last answer! Another one... I have two air corps composed of four INT each engaged in battle, and the leader of one of them is capable of comanding 8 units but I still got 70% stackiing penalty. Shouldn't he be able to handle with no problem?

Cheers!

the commander is not the problem the number of planes is. if you are handling your airforce manually use stacks of three and never mix unit types.

Thank you very much. I found that Alex seems to be correct in that when I am not using the IC, it is not using resources. So I guess I am thinking that you really are NOT wasting resources. I don't know, just something to think about. But if it was using resources, not what would be a WASTE of IC.

The Theater AI did not work on defense.

I started my first Blitzkreig with FtML as Germany. The Theater AI for attacking Poland seemed to be going well. I clicked Warsaw as the Attack objective.

But on the Western Front, OMG! I had to stop the game. I put in on defense and, per the manual, set the objective somewhere deep in France.

I guess I was distracted for only a few moments, and I noticed that the German forces all along the Maginot are SR-ing for the Eastern Front and were now under the command of the Eastern Theater.

I then looked around and saw that the Reorganization that took me forever to do on the Western Front was totally undone!

This is all took just a few minutes!!!

I must have done something wrong because there would have been a million posts on this. Was I not supposed to set an objective in France, or what?

Also, if I did NOT click on the AI organization button, would the West Theater have left all my organization changes alone?

Wow, I just wasted like 10 hours on this because I am trying to re-learn this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Air and Navy - Can you give them separate Commands?

Can you build separate Commands (Divisions, I guess) for the Navy and Air units?

If so, would anyone do this, or does this not make sense?

I guess I am wondering because I am now worried about putting Fleets under Theater or any kind of AI.

Its a waste of IC because all IC should be used each day, if its not being used then it could have been used for supply production, consumer goods, or something like an unmet upgrades or reinforcements number. It is still a waste, just not a waste of resources, its a waste of IC.

I don't play with AI control really, I find it waters down the experience of the game. But...your problem was clicking the AI reorganisation button...why would you want that on if you just spent hours organising things yourself :)

Hi

I guess I did not think the AI reorg would just.., I don't know. Yeah, that was dumb. Do you think if I had left the Auto Org off.., my Western Units would not SRed to the Eastern Front? That is what really confuses me. I am pretty sure they bolted the second I started the game.

I guess I did not think the AI reorg would just.., I don't know. Yeah, that was dumb. Do you think if I had left the Auto Org off.., my Western Units would not SRed to the Eastern Front? That is what really confuses me. I am pretty sure they bolted the second I started the game.

they would only do that when they are in the same theater. setting the stance on defense actually means that your units will only attack when they are sure that they win. that is the only difference between the stances.

btw, poopfaust you know that you can edit posts? double and tripple posting makes your posts even more confusing.

I'm new to GS games, and I know the sensible thing to do is buy EU3, as I've heard it's the most accessible, but I really like the WW2 setting, and the idea of perpetual wartime is intriguing, so HoI3 is tempting me

Is this a good idea? People here seem to say HoI3 is the most complex of Paradox's GS games

Hey guy

Suddenly it seems the computer re-organized my hierarchy and now (I am Italy) my supreme command HQ has been kicked out of commanding my units in Yugoslavia and Eastern Europe (I took over these places). I am trying to put that HQ back under the authority of supreme command but it's telling me I can't because there are no units higher in the hierarchy. What is the way to get them back under the command of the supreme authority?

THanks so much all!