• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It helped not creating a giant tie that got most of the village population killed.

That was fun!

I also haven't spent an entire game voting for myself :p

That was my best game. I got all the way to the end, then marty99 decided for a huge village suicide. :/

A part of it is luck though. Who the wolves village hunt lynch on day 1 and who they don't. I've been hunted night 0 or 1 3 to 4 times as well.

Luck/the attitude of other players is a component, as well as playstyle. I tend to get scanned or hunted early because I am rather visible, whereas quieter players tend to be overlooked, which is safer (at least until someone decides that's a good reason to target you). If you have plenty of enemies who will put you on brutal lists, or backup hunt orders, or just plain hunt orders, or who find excuses to vote against you, et cetera, your lifespan is limited.

I think non-JL villager is the least skill based role because it doesn't require any particular strategy, whereas the seer and wolves have to conceal their identity and try identify enemies. A villager can only rely on their brain and vote to shorten their odds on winning, whereas seers have outings and wolves have hunts.

Luck/the attitude of other players is a component, as well as playstyle. I tend to get scanned or hunted early because I am rather visible, whereas quieter players tend to be overlooked, which is safer (at least until someone decides that's a good reason to target you). If you have plenty of enemies who will put you on brutal lists, or backup hunt orders, or just plain hunt orders, or who find excuses to vote against you, et cetera, your lifespan is limited.

I think non-JL villager is the least skill based role because it doesn't require any particular strategy, whereas the seer and wolves have to conceal their identity and try identify enemies. A villager can only rely on their brain and vote to shorten their odds on winning, whereas seers have outings and wolves have hunts.

What? non-JL villager is the MOST skill based role. JL villagers know each-other and the seer, thus making their suspect list shorter, wolves can use the hunts to remove people that hinder them. Being a non-JL villager means you have to ping possible wolves through analysis and fight the urge to follow the herd, else you're going to end up being lynched because of a terrible vote record. Plus, you have to have the right ammount of activity to not get lynched late for CAWZ or hunted early for hyperactivity.

Yes, in the CXII I sometimes missed that I was absolutely out of any non-public events and I thought that it pretty sucked that the 'JL' decided to lynch me only to reduce the number of unscanned villagers...but still, I enjoyed the game.

Sorry about that. All I had known was that I had been scanned by a baddie. You started the next day with the worst reasoning possible to vote for me, so I guessed you were the baddie that had scanned me.

Sorry about that. All I had known was that I had been scanned by a baddie. You started the next day with the worst reasoning possible to vote for me, so I guessed you were the baddie that had scanned me.

Oh, I just wanted to get some arguments not to vote you. I am not usually the most informed player.

Btw, the GA role is IMHO a bit difficult. But I have never been a GA myself so...

The old Lite setup had become unbalanced, with JLs dominant and wolves winning every now and then when they got the seer early. I suggested a few changes, and gradually it was morphed by others into something completely different to what I'd intended - Meso. Two packs, who both hunt every night and who know each others identity. Hilarity ensues.

Honestly, I find it little more than an interesting sideshow. T20 cricket as it were. Still, it has interestingly high levels of paranoia.

The old Lite setup had become unbalanced, with JLs dominant and wolves winning every now and then when they got the seer early. I suggested a few changes, and gradually it was morphed by others into something completely different to what I'd intended - Meso. Two packs, who both hunt every night and who know each others identity. Hilarity ensues.

Honestly, I find it little more than an interesting sideshow. T20 cricket as it were. Still, it has interestingly high levels of paranoia.

I believed I displayed perfectly well how a JL could be defeated in Lite without hunts (check Lite CIV : Wimbledon, didn't succeed there, but the theory is sound). Your paranoia in Meso could have happened to the same degree in Lite.

I find Big games to generally be more luck dependant than Lites.

Last edited:

Yes, I doubt we will be doing many Mesos. Still want to try it one more time before going back to Lite for a while though.

Another lite can be set up atm. Just need different players than the current one being assembled. If the GM waits a couple days later to start that shouldn't be a bid deal.

What? non-JL villager is the MOST skill based role. JL villagers know each-other and the seer, thus making their suspect list shorter, wolves can use the hunts to remove people that hinder them. Being a non-JL villager means you have to ping possible wolves through analysis and fight the urge to follow the herd, else you're going to end up being lynched because of a terrible vote record. Plus, you have to have the right ammount of activity to not get lynched late for CAWZ or hunted early for hyperactivity.

That's true, but on the other hand plenty of people survive for a long time without being of any particular use to the village. A bad wolf runs the risk of being identified early; a bad wolf strategy, as in CCV where the wolves left the mouthpieces alive, can see them fail as well. A seer can muck up like Adamus did and get killed; Drxav used an unorthodox strategy in CCVI and he died partly as a result (and largely because you and I each thought the other was going to save him). So there's a minimum level of skill required to not fail as either, even if you just adopt the standard seer strategy that usually works, or a basic wolf tactic like lying low.

But a villager could vote to save wolves every single day, not get scanned, contribute no analysis, and then find that he's a winner because others did all the heavy lifting. There's no minimum level of competence for villagers. I agree, as I stated, that a villager must rely on their brains and use their vote better if they're to have any impact... but many don't. That's rather Kiwi's thesis, that villages have become JL dependent because they don't think for themselves.

I think the reason the balance of Lites has shifted is because stupidity is punished these days. Someone who constructs massive ties will get metagamed for weeks. Someone who orders the village to pursue bad targets gets lynched. We usually run up 2 players per day and get one lynched, which provides room for analysis and prevents the wolves from thrashing about wildly, confusing the village. As you've noticed, older players loved doing those sorts of colorful wins, but when you eliminate those the village will win more often. Chaos is a friend to wolves.

I think I could GM a Lite game (using the proposed setup without Seer - only villagers against wolves, thus trying to eliminate the problem of JL power and force the players to think with a different approach).

I think I could GM a Lite game (using the proposed setup without Seer - only villagers against wolves, thus trying to eliminate the problem of JL power and force the players to think with a different approach).

If I were you I'd wait until at least Day/Night 3 in Meso, as we don't have 36 players at the moment.

Someone who constructs massive ties Tamius will get has been metagamed for weeks.

What do you mean, someone?

If I were you I'd wait until at least Day/Night 3 in Meso, as we don't have 36 players at the moment.

Of course. J-L already said that. I would open the thread on the Day 3 of Meso - that would grant me a lot of players with 3 deaths per a day.

True.

What sort of theme are you thinking of?

I call it Sheep Herd :D. You know: Sheep and Wolves. And the Shepherd (Seer) is absent. And the sheep have to find the infiltrators on their own. Funny, innit?

OTOH, I am not a big fan of RPing in WW.