• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Infamy is KILLING me. I'm learning first-hand how deadly it can be. I'm currently at war with Castille, Milan, and Bohemia and all satellite countries! So far no one can push me over, but it's becoming brutal! Anyway, my next set of questions!

1.) Can your men suffer from attrition when over the suppy limit in your own provinces and occupied provinces? Or no?

2.) I finally see when you're at the peace table with a nation you can see what will give you infamy and what will give you prestige and sometimes both. Because my BB is SO high still I don't want to take cores, but looking at all other options it feels like I can't gain territory nor make them suffer. Thoughts and suggestions when it comes to this game mechanic?

3.) As i mentioned, Im at war with Milan and one of my missions is to take over province "X". I occupy province "X" as well as others of Milan. How come when I bring up negotiations that province isn't even on the list? I do know it's very high population, but not sure if that means anything or not. Also, any suggestions on how I can obtain it?

4.) Will taking cores and annexing ALWAYS give me infamy? I notice I rarely declare wars, they're declared on me and I always win and then push back. If I declared war for certain CB's will I not gain infamy when taking cores and annexing?

Thanks guys! I feel im abusing this thread, but I can't pass up the great feedback. I'm learning fastest through this tool and support from you guys

Join me on irc or msn GulfCoastTiger and I will explain these things to you. I'm Chronicler on quakenet, google webchat+quakenet.

Or ask for my msn in private message. It's easier than writing here.

I just know of #pdox on quakenet, I don't know if there are others though. (Since he said he was on irc but I didn't see him)

1.) Can your men suffer from attrition when over the suppy limit in your own provinces and occupied provinces? Or no?

Yes. Attrition is taken whenever you are over the support limit, even during peace. The limit in enemy provinces is just much, much lower. The one exception is that no attrition is taken during battle, so you can reinforce engaged armies without a penalty.

2.) I finally see when you're at the peace table with a nation you can see what will give you infamy and what will give you prestige and sometimes both. Because my BB is SO high still I don't want to take cores, but looking at all other options it feels like I can't gain territory nor make them suffer. Thoughts and suggestions when it comes to this game mechanic?

If you go to war, you must select a Casus Belli, a reason for going to war. If you do not have a CB, you will take a -2 stability hit, and suffer infamy. If you have a CB, you won't suffer the infamy or the hit. Specific CB's give specific 'discounts' and benefits when negotiating a peace. The 'Reconquest' CB for instance allows you to claim cores without taking any infamy for it, but if you take another province, you will pay 4 infamy per province. Using the 'Holy War' or 'Excommunicated Ruler' CB's allow you to grab provinces for 1 Infamy per province.

Go to the Ledger in the bottom-right of the screen, click on the scroll at the top, then go a few pages further, and you'll find a list of all the countries you have a CB on.

3.) As i mentioned, Im at war with Milan and one of my missions is to take over province "X". I occupy province "X" as well as others of Milan. How come when I bring up negotiations that province isn't even on the list? I do know it's very high population, but not sure if that means anything or not. Also, any suggestions on how I can obtain it?

You can only demand provinces that you occupy yourself, if an ally has it, you are out of luck. In this case you are talking about the Italian Ambition mission on Milan, which demands Lombardia. Lombardia is the capital of Milan, and you can't demand a capital region, unless you annex the whole country, or unless the province is landlocked and isolated. So either annex them completely or grab the neighboring provinces, then claim Lombardia 5 years later when the truce runs out.

4.) Will taking cores and annexing ALWAYS give me infamy? I notice I rarely declare wars, they're declared on me and I always win and then push back. If I declared war for certain CB's will I not gain infamy when taking cores and annexing?

As a defender, you will always take 3 infamy. Declare war yourself using 'Reconquest'.

Thanks guys! I feel im abusing this thread, but I can't pass up the great feedback. I'm learning fastest through this tool and support from you guys

Your questions are good and to the point, that isn't abusing the thread. Others may learn from reading.

And (Since HiddenWolf forgot)

The best way to rid yourself of infamy is to use holy war cb and conquer muslim nations, and then release them as vassals. For each province you release you lose 2 infamy points.

And since they cost 1. You lose more than you gain. It's ze best ever.

How much stability do you lose if you are a vassal but you cancel your vassalisation?

You can't cancel your own vassalization.

You can send insults and when your liege monarch dies you will be free (for example)

or declare war and free yourself.

I've seen a number of references to shifting your culture. Is this something you can decide to do, or does it rely on the game "letting you" via a decision??

You have to have something like 40% of your provinces + capital be of a different culture than your state culture for the option to be allowed.

How much stability do you lose if you are a vassal but you cancel your vassalisation?

Isn't it just a normal war declaration? So -2 without a CB, -1 with a royal marriage, etc.

You have to have something like 40% of your provinces + capital be of a different culture than your state culture for the option to be allowed.

Thanks - leads to a couple of follow on questions -
If your capital has to be a different culture, presumably that means you have to have moved your capital into a conquered province before you can even consider culture shift?
Where exactly would the option appear?

Thanks - leads to a couple of follow on questions -
If your capital has to be a different culture, presumably that means you have to have moved your capital into a conquered province before you can even consider culture shift?

It's in the national decisions, but it won't appear until the option is ready. I always thought you had to have over half your provinces with the desired culture, but Tambourine could be right. Game changes quite a bit.

We done broke the quotes.

You have to move your Capital, by selecting the province you want to move it to, and then click the crown icon at the top of the province interface.
The decision will appear when you meet the requirements, with all the other cultural decisions

Last edited:
You can't cancel your own vassalization.

You can send insults and when your liege monarch dies you will be free (for example)

or declare war and free yourself.

This is incorrect. You are confusing being a vassal with being the junior in a personal union. You can cancel a vassalization at any time (unless it's within five years of being forced on you in a peace settlement, I believe), and you do not need to declare war on your suzerain, although they do get a CB against you usable for 10 years.

When I click on a province this is what I see. When I click on a highlighted building option nothing happens, even with cash and magistrates available. Does anyone have any insight to this issue? I can't build anything currently.

question2g.jpg

Thanks,
kilarious