• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I would really like is if you can look at what the government type of a nation is without resorting to such things as a ledger.

I couldn't care less.

Great Idea. Would also be perfect for modeling the Opium Wars, which to a large extent were about the forcible opening of China to foreign investment. Then maybe the opium trade and the huge profitablity of the China market can be modeled better than the semi random "Opium Trade" events for Britain.

I've also always thought FDI could help model the advantages of minors having a liberal party even without capis.

It's a simple cross-over of names. In Victoria you could only build one type of factory in a state. To me, this represented the whole industry in that state. The level of that factory represented the level of development for that industry in said state. However, if the level system (abstract, as it is) is replaced with a system whereby when you expand in an "industry" you get more factories producing those goods, then that is how factories would fit in to "industry".

In short, just imagine Victoria now, except every name and description replace the word "factory" with "industry", and then "factory level" with "number of factories in the X industry".

No.

When I build multiple factories in a province compared to the level of expansion of said factory is different.

I can have multiple factories in a state producing the same good, however multiple industries producing the same good in one state makes no sense to me. (Several industries producing the same good in a country make sense, however, as they're arbitrarily divided by state - however several industries producing the same good in one state, makes none)

However the idea of industry itself, does, as it represents a wider concept, as well as industry expansion à la single factory expansion in Victoria.

No.

When I build multiple factories in a province compared to the level of expansion of said factory is different.

I can have multiple factories in a state producing the same good, however multiple industries producing the same good in one state makes no sense to me. (Several industries producing the same good in a country make sense, however, as they're arbitrarily divided by state - however several industries producing the same good in one state, makes none)

However the idea of industry itself, does, as it represents a wider concept, as well as industry expansion à la single factory expansion in Victoria.
You've misunderstood me.

I am saying that you have one industry in a state (just like in Victoria you can only build one factory, and then you have to expand it), and that produces the good, X. When you expand that industry, you increase the number of factories (the level of development) of that industry. Moreover, you are increasing the number of factories producing the good of that industry, though there is still only that one industry (only that one activity producing X) in that state, though it can be developed to different levels (by having more factories producing X in that industry).

Get me now?

EDIT:

Factory level = number of factories in that industry (5/10/100/whatever)
Lone "Factory producing X" (at whatever level) = The X "Industry" (with Y number of factories involved in that industry).

Alternatively you could just keep the level system. However, the word "industry" is more fitting than "factory" when applied over an entire state/area. This is because "factory" implies only one of them, whereas "industry" implies that whole activity taking place over that whole state/area, in any number of factories.

Last edited:
The naval aspect of Victoria was probably the weakest component. The AI really had no idea what to do with its navy except to build, build BUILD!

I hope the population abstraction survives in some improved form. POPs are on the right track, but not quite there yet as far as simulating a nation's workforce. All that growing and splitting and migrating... it just feels weird.

The idea of 2 million Prussians slaving away in a furniture factory does create an amusing image though.

And of course as I said in the thread that was locked, the name Victoria should probably be strongly debated if not changed. It does nothing to attract strategy gamers, even if we high-brow PI fans love it.

When I play Victoria, I always think the term of factory as several factory plants because it is impossible to employ tens of thousands people in a single factory. :)

You've misunderstood me. I am saying that you have one industry in a state (just like in Victoria you can only build one factory, and then you have to expand it), and that produces the good, X. When you expand that industry, you increase the number of factories (the level of development) of that industry. Moreover, you are increasing the number of factories producing the good of that industry.

Get me now?

Ok, now I understand what you mean. While that was my first thoughts on it when I read it, I still question the point in leaving out extra individual factory construction. (Obviously, as I said, incompatible with industry)

While although factory expansion yielded greater profits and produce in the long run, in the short run it handicapped you: The factory, during expansion, is not in use.

On top of that, wasn't it more expensive? (Unsure on this one)

The biggest flaw in the original Victoria, in my opinion, was the peace process. The options for player-made peace were slim, and often to get semi-realistic results a player would have to load up as other countries or modify the save files. Wars between Great Powers, especially during this time period, had results more complicated than annex/take province/satellite. I'm hoping that in Vicky 2, there are additional options for peace, and that truly monumental wars would end with great conferences like the Vienna Conference or Treaty of Versailles, where the winners of hard-fought wars divide up Europe as they see fit, create new nations, and rebalance the Balance of Power.

Of course, the standard options, with perhaps additional options to further subjugate/humiliate the losing side, would be sufficient for wars between unciv nations, civ and unciv nations, and great/middle powers against minor powers.

Speaking of treaties, the AI was really bad at figuring out what to give and take. When the UK won the Crimean war, it always took random provinces in Azerbijan or Latvia instead of imposing reperations and restrictions on Russia like they should have. A better treaty AI is a must.

Question: Would my UK capitalists automatically invest in foreign regions? Would I be able to encourage or prevent this? (tariffs?)

When I play Victoria, I always think the term of factory as several factory plants because it is impossible to employ tens of thousands people in a single factory. :)
Which is why "industry" is more fitting! :p
Ok, now I understand what you mean. While that was my first thoughts on it when I read it, I still question the point in leaving out extra individual factory construction. (Obviously, as I said, incompatible with industry)
But that is the beauty of calling it "industry": it can mean any number of factories, as opposed to implying a single super-factory employing 200,000 people, developed to level 1 (whatever that means?).
While although factory expansion yielded greater profits and produce in the long run, in the short run it handicapped you: The factory, during expansion, is not in use.
That is something I hope Paradox will fix - allow POPs to continue producing when an industry is being expanded.
On top of that, wasn't it more expensive? (Unsure on this one)
It was cheaper to expand rather than build a new "factory" since it didn't require any additional crime maintenance costs.

Yup, we should get rid of the random province grabbing.

Also, I +1 the conferences idea. Just add other things like (just an idea) a proposal to limit the size of the navies the Great Powers have. And give a CB if someone violates the agreement.

Firstly, I think POP sizes should be reduced. (to say, maximum 20 thousand people in a POP instead of up to 100 thousand, or 40 thousand with the VIP mod). This would allow more flexibility and increase efficiency in smaller nations.

I mentioned elsewhere that something has to be done about railroads. Maybe a minimum population requirement in a province to have a rail line begin or end there, and maybe an even higher requirement for colonies or areas that do not have your national culture as a majority.

Capitalists should not build a factory in a state unless it has its current factories fully staffed and has an unemployed craftsman.

Maybe, factories could be built in a province and not a state. After all, people living in San Fransisco don't commute to Los Angeles everyday. To counter the limitations this would bring up, maybe only two or three POPs can work in a factory for maximum efficiency, instead of five. This would result in more factories, centered in large cities.

You should be able to encourage immigration to specific areas of your country, like the US did by giving free land out west.

Aenarial's suggestion of allowing the player to mannually set state boundaries is something I have long hoped for. If this is too much though, events changing state boundaries at certain times in history (for example, Ontario was much smaller in 1867, Oregon, Idaho and Washington were all part of the Oregon Territory at one time, etc.). Also, state boudaries could be influenced by who ownes a proivince (if the UK gets the Aroostook Country, Easton province should be in New Brunswick, not Maine).

Satellite states should have more meaning, like for exmaple you can extract resources from them, or demand they make a certain reform, cede a certain province, etc. The vassals of the game Civilization IV for example had to give up resources or money if their master asked them to. And maybe they should be full alliances, I'm not sure how historically accurate this would be though.

There should be a number of choices for a released satellite state, for example Poland could be Polish-majority provinces, 1918 Poland or 1945 Poland. Sputh Africa could be modern borders, could include Lesotho and Swaziland, or could include all that plus Botswana, perhaps even the Rhodesias and Nyasaland.

The boundaries of many provinces should re-adjusted, to make historical and possible boundaries possibly. Boundaries that should become possible include:
- The Oregon Country, the USA wanted only up to the 54th parallel, not all of modern-day British Colombia.
- Libya's many boudary changes.
- Texas' early claimed boudary and it's real boundary during the Republic era.
- Ontario's earliest boundaries. As well as Quebec's and Manitoba's earliest boundaries.

Many more cultures could be added. The VIP mod has cultures just about spot on, so that would mean adding things like Antipodean (Australian and New Zealander), Anglo & French Canadian, Afro-Brazilian, Afro-American, Maori, Afrikaans/Boer, Metis, etc., and even some not included in VIP such as breaking South American cultures into White and Mestizo, and Pardo (part Black part White).

Perhaps trade should be between specific nations and not on a global scale? Then you could have embargoes, trade favoritism, and of course colonies would become essential to any nation wishing to have a secure supply of resources.

Boundaries should look more like they do in real life, like in the Clio map project. In Victoria I alot of provinces have weird, almost abstract boundaries, and many nations (like Paraguay) look very screwy because of this).

These are just off the top of my head: Victoria is a great game but, as with anything great, there are oh so many improvements that could be made. I will probably post more later. Oh, and I sincerely thank the people at Paradox for choosing to expand the Victoria franchise. It is my favorite game and I couldn't be happier that it is getting a sequel.

That is something I hope Paradox will fix - allow POPs to continue producing when an industry is being expanded.

I suppose really then, in the end, this was my only concern.

At the same time, I do believe there should be some sort of penalty.

It's hard to expand without some sort of interference. Maybe a percentage driven penalty, decreasing per "level" of size? (Decreasing, as, assuming expansion of a small industry would be felt greater than an expansion of a gigantic industry, the effects of which wouldn't be felt by all areas of the industry)

This idea is GOLD!!!!
And yes, there was a LOT of money spent in this way around the era. I remember there was an occasion where the argentinians didn't pay their debt to the british investors and britain went VERY close to having the gold standard come down crashing... it gives an idea of how much money was spent...

I suppose really then, in the end, this was my only concern.

At the same time, I do believe there should be some sort of penalty.

It's hard to expand without some sort of interference. Maybe a percentage driven penalty, decreasing per "level" of size? (Decreasing, as, assuming expansion of a small industry would be felt greater than an expansion of a gigantic industry, the effects of which wouldn't be felt by all areas of the industry)
Yeah, definitely. Some sort of modifier reducing production efficiency whilst the distrubance of propping up some new factories takes place.

The Education system

In Vic you always no matter who you were playing put the education slider at max and left it there. This was not a strategic choice.

You should have a law or national decision to upgrade the educational establishment from
none to low.
low to medium.
medium to high.
and high to universal.
The cost of each step should be very high (1 year of gdp) this would represent the capital cost of building schools and universities etc.
This would multiply the cost and benefit of funding education

Also the result of education from the slider should be non-liner

Education slider / Literacy change
0% -10%
10% -6.2%
20% -2.8%
30% +0.2%
40% +3.8%
50% +5 %
60% +6.8 %
70% +8.2%
80% +9.2%
90% +9.8%
100% +10%

This would both capture the idea of building better schools and the idea of diminishing returns from the investment.

Cheers
Nevil

More attention to Asia please

No Paradox game really pays too much attention to Asia (although they pay a lot more than some other historical games). But conflicts in and around China were a huge part of the 19th century. Need I mention that the Taiping rebellion killed more people than the Napoleonic Wars and was the biggest war that happened in the Victoria timeframe (more deaths than even WWI). That said, it got only one event in Victoria, that just spawned some rebels. The Taipings should at least get a possible nation, like the CSA does.

The same goes for the India Mutiny, which was one of the biggest moments in the history of the British Empire, but again gets only 1 event.

No events or attention are given to the Russo-Japanese war, or the incursions of Russia and Japan into China that started it. More events, decisions, attention, and modeling for Asia PLEASE!!!!!!! Any thoughts??

Question: Would my UK capitalists automatically invest in foreign regions? Would I be able to encourage or prevent this? (tariffs?)
I would hope that it would be as historical, and be largely dependent upon the free market system be prevalent in both countries. I would also hope that you, as the state, would be able to invest yourself so as to prop-up other nation's economies too (IIRC this happened to Russia - I have got a good book mentioning the pre-WW1 economical issues somewhere, but cba digging it up).

As I mentioned before, this (and the economy, in general), could tie in well with this new spheres of influence system.

Here's to hoping, anyway! :D

There must be a way to properly blockade an enemy, without it, ww1 will never have a chance to be modelled semi-correctly, and it was an issue in other conflicts too, like the american civil war.
Also: Get rid of colonial wars for christ's sake. Maybe a war between great powers can begin rather cold(limited to colonies) but it must warm up if no peace is quickly made. Or you could declare a total war right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.