• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in love with this idea.

The same goes for me... I hope with all my heart that the developing team shares our feelings. However bananas were not a common sight at all in Europe at that time, not until the early 20th century did bananas have any breakthrough in Europe, and become a major product of export for Latin American nations. But this shouldn't stop Paradox from drawing inspiration from this thread.

The United States and Latin America, especially the former, received huge amounts of British investment, far more than the Empire did IIRC. Colonies were not preferred from what I've gathered.

Right, I mean why, by Jingo, would I send good British boys to oppress and exploit the downtrodden Brazilian farmworker when the Brazilians will do it for me for free?

Yeah, call it what you like.

how about this, you know the way in Vicky1 you are either uncivilised, independent, sattelite or great power? Add in a few more categories, and give them effects as to how much research you can do. This could also aid in the break up of states like the OE and AH as they fail to keep pace

me no likes this kind of abstract clasifications that forbid you to use anything other people can. as i see it anything is a problem of resources and willingness, no a matter of how your country is considered.

The biggest flaw in the original Victoria, in my opinion, was the peace process. The options for player-made peace were slim, and often to get semi-realistic results a player would have to load up as other countries or modify the save files. Wars between Great Powers, especially during this time period, had results more complicated than annex/take province/satellite. I'm hoping that in Vicky 2, there are additional options for peace, and that truly monumental wars would end with great conferences like the Vienna Conference or Treaty of Versailles, where the winners of hard-fought wars divide up Europe as they see fit, create new nations, and rebalance the Balance of Power.

Of course, the standard options, with perhaps additional options to further subjugate/humiliate the losing side, would be sufficient for wars between unciv nations, civ and unciv nations, and great/middle powers against minor powers.

"Factory" vs. "Industry"

I started such a thread before in the VIP forum, and people generally agreed with the proposal.

Anyway, for those that aren't familiar with the thread, it was about changing the concept (or rather the name) of "factory" to "industry", so as to be a more fitting choice of word. Rather than commenting on a lone factory in a state, it comments on that entire activity (i.e. that industry). "Industry" is a term which is MUCH more fitting, and can range from one factory to several hundred factories producing the goods of that industry.

Furthermore, perhaps the level of the "factory" (as it was known in Victoria)/"industry" (as it will hopefully be referred to) would actually be represented by the number of factories producing the goods of that industry? That is, level 1 becomes, say, 5 factories (and 5 slots for POPs), level 2, 10 factories (total of 10 slots for POPs), etc...

It's just a better choice of words.

Factory makes me think of this.
Industry makes me think of government spin doctors on the evening news.
How can the word "factory" possibly make you think of an entire industrial estate? "Factory" is singular. "Industry" is a more generic form to represent any number of factories, i.e. that whole "industry" dedicated to making, say, automobiles. This is why it is a better term.

The United States and Latin America, especially the former, received huge amounts of British investment, more than the Empire did IIRC. Colonies were not preferred from what I've gathered.
Clearly it was pissed away because until about 20 years ago virtually all of Latin America was a sinkhole. It's changed in recent years, and it'll change more in the future, but compare the state of British India in 1930 to Latin America and I don't think they compare. British India had the largest railway network in the world, latin america had no industry to speak of.

How can the word "factory" possibly make you think of an entire industrial estate? "Factory" is singular. "Industry" is a more generic form to represent any number of factories, i.e. that whole "industry" dedicated to making, say, automobiles. This is why it is a better term.
In your opinion. I'm a picture-thinker, so the word "factory" makes me think of a factory. How do you visualise "industry"? You can't, it's abstract.
I know this is 100% subjective but it's, as the Americans say, "my two cents".

excelent idea.
only that the initiative of your capitalists should be based on the type of politics you have not what major power you are. let's not start messing up with hard coded stuff because this goes always against the game.
but, yes, excelent idea!

In your opinion. I'm a picture-thinker, so the word "factory" makes me think of a factory. How do you visualise "industry"? You can't, it's too big.
I know this is 100% subjective but it's, as the Americans say, "my two cents".
No, it's linguistics. A factory is a component of industry. That is, industrial activities take place in a factory.

"Industry" is the concept. "Factory" isn't. This is why you can't imagine "industry"; because it is a concept. That is also why I propose that you remove levels of factories, and put in numbers of factories producing in that industry.

Great idea, I think this would also be better if a immigration system was tied in (For example, British sending British workers to come work in factories, some of the workers might stay and live in Mexico/Brazil permanently, etc.

Well, even the little picture on the button is a singular factory.

While I agree with you in a sense that it should represent the entire industry of X product, the question that arises then is: Building two "factories" in a state, how would this work under industry? Expansion, yes, understandable, but in Victoria expansion of a single factory yielded greater returns and produce compared to a state with two factories of X product.

Well, even the little picture on the button is a singular factory.

While I agree with you in a sense that it should represent the entire industry of X product, the question that arises then is: Building two "factories" in a state, how would this work under industry? Expansion, yes, understandable, but in Victoria expansion of a single factory yielded greater returns and produce compared to a state with two factories of X product.
It's a simple cross-over of names. In Victoria you could only build one type of factory in a state. To me, this represented the whole industry in that state. The level of that factory represented the level of development for that industry in said state. However, if the level system (abstract, as it is) is replaced with a system whereby when you expand in an "industry" you get more factories producing those goods, then that is how factories would fit in to "industry".

In short, just imagine Victoria now, except every name and description replace the word "factory" with "industry", and then "factory level" with "number of factories in the X industry".

I hinted at some of these in another thread. But for more specifics:

-Navy-

1: Coal powered ships should have to hop from port to port, recoaling. I shouldn't be able to send an ironclad from Belgium to the Pacific. Instead, if I want my Belgian navy to operate in the Pacific, I should have to colonize with some ports. It defeats the point of having ports in South Africa, Ceylon, Singapore, and Hong Kong if I can sail my ships strait from Southampton to China without any penalty.

2: Give me a REASON to send my ships out into the pacific. Without blockades and/or some form of commerce raiding, the navy will never be accurately simulated. In Vicky it was only useful for dropping off troops, and for ahistorical shore bombardments. Heck, there was even a ship called a Commerce Raider that was incapable of raiding commerce.

3: Some mechanism to get the AI to modernize their navies. I always get tired of seeing Man-O-Wars in the 1920s.

-Politics-
1: I like all countries having the option to colonize. BUT I think there should be a militantcy hit among certain pops when democratic countries build colonies. I'm thinking mainly of when an american countris build colonies in Africa. If a player wants to that is fine, but it should cause quite a stir back home.

2:State Capitalism. If you had the patience, even with V:R, any player could make Russia, China, or, if you were good, the Ottomans or Persians completely economically dominant because you could have an absolute monarchy with state capitalism, meaning that as soon as you got some machine parts you could build whatever factories you want and bypass capitalists, who eat up their own income buying their desired goods before they invest. Something is wrong with this picture. Reactionary parties in absolute monarchies should not turn their countries into economic dynamos. Find a way to fix please.

3: Foreign Direct Investment. Someone else on the forum has a thread devoted to this. My only comment is that there should be some incentive for minors and unciv countries, which don't have capitalists, to liberalize their economies. If international capitalists could invest in open economies, it would mean that laissez faire parties wouldnt be a death sentance for countries without a lot of capitalists.

AND GET RID OF COLONIAL WARS!!!! They are ahistorical for the time period, make no sense, leave open a million exploits, and screw with the AI. By this I mean colonial wars between civilized nations, not the kind that happens when a major declares war on an unciv.

-Imigration- Please please improve the immigration model. Need I say that Alaska shouldn't attract more immigrants than New York.

I love Vicky and I'm super excited about V2 so I'm sure I'll have more suggestions when I think about it some more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.