• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #337 - Individualistic Machines and Machine Gameplay Updates

Hello again!

Today we’re looking at some general gameplay changes being made to Machine Empires, Individualistic Machines, and the new Machine Ascension Paths. Some of these still include placeholder assets, and values will continue being adjusted until release.

Take it away, @Gruntsatwork .

Machine and Synthetic Gameplay Changes​

History Traits​

One of the first things you’ll find in The Machine Age when creating a Machine empire are the history traits we’ve added for Machine species. These 0 point traits let you choose a little more of your backstory - these define your original purpose.

Were you originally created as Research Assistants, Conversational AI chatbots, Workerbots, or perhaps a domestic servant Nannybot meant to make life easier and pass the butter? Six backgrounds with relatively minor bonuses are available for you to choose from. These are available to both gestalt and individualistic machines.

Machine History Traits

You’ll find a handful of other new traits or variants of existing biological traits for Machine species as well, including having a dedicated Engineering or Sociology Core or Integrated Weaponry to a Delicate Chassis or Scarcity Subroutines.

Integrated Weaponry and the Physics Core traits

Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply.

Machines, Aging, and Unplanned Obsolescence​

Immortality is a funny thing in Stellaris - under some circumstances (especially as the game goes on), due to the accident and death events that could target machines, you can end up in a state where a theoretically “immortal” machine leader is actually far more vulnerable to death as the years went on than a normal biological leader.

Machine leaders will now instead use lifespan rules, but enjoy some extra benefits:
  • As real go-getters, their starting age lies between 5-10 years, so at the age of 30 they can run your science department with 20 years of experience.
  • All machines also have an additional +20 years to their default lifespan of 80, resulting in a base lifespan of 100 years.
  • They are now affected by lifespan-increasing technologies and modifiers, for example, those from Ascension Paths, which we will cover later in this dev diary.

In summary, your machine leaders no longer need to fear random death and will live to the ripe old age of 100 years without any additional improvements.

Some forms of immortality, however, have been retained, like the Gestalt Councils and some special ascension traits. All Virtual machine leaders are immortal while Modularity has access to advanced lifespan-increasing traits that can be applied to your machines.

Similar rules will apply to robots, though they have a starting age of 1-5 years, and do not get the +20 lifespan bonus that machines have.

Both biological empires going Synthetic and Machine empires will also reset their age upon completing Ascension to reflect receiving their new bodies. Somewhat paradoxically, all together, these changes should actually result in your Machine leaders being able to better withstand the test of time than they could were when they were theoretically “immortal”.

The Machines Age

100 years is a lot better than how long my last smartphone survived.

Habitability​

Habitability is also undergoing some changes. Having +200% Habitability as a base for all machines limited what we could do with them - it was what previously prevented us from allowing them to be Void Dwellers or using several other Origins, for instance. We still wanted to retain the flavor of Machines having an easier time dealing with alternate climates though, so Machines now use habitability systems similar to organics, with some significant changes:
  • As a base, all machines have a 50% Habitability floor, so they will never have below 50% habitability on any world. We felt that this was important because we wanted to retain the feel that machine empires could colonize anywhere reasonably well.
  • Machine habitability traits cover entire planet categories rather than a specific biome.
    • They start with Dry, Wet, or Frozen Habitability, which provide a base 75% habitability on all three biomes associated with the trait and 50% for all other natural biomes.
    • As usual, these habitability traits can be changed through robo-modding.
      • Most machine empires will have access to robo-modding from game start.
      • Origins like Life-Seeded or Subaquatic Machines will start with Gaia World or Ocean World Habitability and will have to research the technology to change their habitability trait, but retain the 50% Habitability floor for being a machine.
  • Just like for Lifespan, they will now also gain bonuses from technologies, extra habitability from ascensions and new traits. They now also have access to the standard array of habitability technologies.

We believe this will still give them a simplified but more nuanced gameplay experience, with niches and combinations that will come close to the old playstyle while also allowing new fantasies. (Subterranean Machines, for instance, have a 100% Habitability floor and thus are guaranteed perfect habitability everywhere.)

Machine Trait and Wet Planet Preference Trait

Subaquatic Machine Death Cult

Using partial habitability mechanics opened up the ability to use origins such as Ocean Paradise.

Assimilation​

An important quality of life improvement for Machine empires - we have extended the capacity to assimilate other machines or robots into your main species to all machine empires.

Machine Assimilation

They may have shared our name, but they did not share our form. These false Zenak will soon become actual Zenak, including adhering to our charging standards.
(This is what I get for not being careful with my force-spawned empires.)

The Aging, Habitability, and Assimilation changes (and Origin improvements listed later) are all part of the free 3.12 “Andromeda” update.

Individualistic Machines​

Gestalt Machine Intelligences were originally introduced in the Synthetic Dawn story pack, but the authority and most of the civics (other than Determined Exterminator, Driven Assimilator, and Rogue Servitor) will also be unlocked by The Machine Age.

The Machine Age will also allow you to create non-Gestalt Machine Empires, using regular authority, ethic, and civic choices. These individualistic machines are not guided by an overall gestalt intelligence, and thus have their own motivations, desires, and disappointments. Individual machines possess happiness like fully recognized synthetics, can and will form factions, and consume consumer goods.

As non-Gestalts, their leaders will draw from the standard array of leader traits. This of course includes fan-favorites like Substance Abuser.

With all ethics available to you, your empire can be spiritualist machines, fully capable of rationalizing their own spiritual superiority compared to lesser machines and organics. Your factions have been adjusted to fit your mechanical existence, since it makes no sense for spiritualist robots to despise all robots. (It’s okay to hate some.)

You will receive roboticists from your capital building with the additional option of building an assembly plant to boost your production even more. This all comes at the cost of alloys, so carefully decide between expansion, war, and pop assembly.

As individual machines are very much capable and willing of entertaining unique needs, they have no restriction on allowing organics in their empires and can even start the game with Syncretic Evolution as their Origin of choice. As such, they have access to technologies for food production, genetic modification, and other organic focused technologies, with a sharply reduced, but not zero, chance at drawing those technologies if you have no organics in your empire. You are at the very least capable of theorizing about meat and its needs compared to gestalt machines.

Depending on your ethics and authorities, you can enfranchise, disenfranchise, enslave, or empower organics or even other machines in your empire as you wish. The only limits to your ability to tread upon those fragile organics and your fellow machines are the limits of your imagination.

Individual Machines have access to most civics organic empires have access to, as well as a few machine civics, like Warbots and Static Research Analysis, which have been adjusted for them.

Machine Criminal Syndicate

Decadent, Deviant, Hedonistic Crime-Bots? Sure, why not.

More Origins now available to Machines​

As part of the 3.12 “Andromeda” release, we’ve done a pass on Origins to see if there were any that could have their restrictions on Machines relaxed.

The full list of Origins that Machine Empires have access to as of the 3.12 “Andromeda” release is:
  • Syncretic Evolution (Individualist Machines only)
  • Life-Seeded
  • Post-Apocalyptic (Radioactive Rovers)
  • Void Dwellers (Voidforged)
  • Hegemon
  • Ocean Paradise (Subaquatic Machines)
  • Subterranean (Subterranean Machines)
  • Arc Welders
  • Prosperous Unification
  • Remnants
  • Shattered Ring
  • Galactic Doorstep
  • Resource Consolidation (Gestalt Machine Intelligence only)
  • Common Ground
  • Doomsday
  • Lost Colony
  • Here Be Dragons
  • Slingshot to the Stars
  • Imperial Fiefdom
  • Riftworld

Brush, brush, brush your face

Transformation Situation and Ascension Paths​

With The Machine Age, Individualistic Machines and Gestalt Machines have access to 3 new Ascension Paths (which replace the current Synthetics tree). By taking the Synthetic Age Ascension Perk, you will begin a new Situation to guide them through this momentous transformation.

Transformation situation

Virtuality​

Embrace a virtual existence for the majority of your pops. From the cloud, your pops are created and to the cloud they return when their job is done.

Spreading your servers across the stars is an expensive endeavor but your concentrated efforts are unmatched.
  • Your pops gain a unique Virtual Trait that becomes stronger as you progress through the tree
    • You gain a massive bonus to production that is reduced by the number of colonies you have
    • Your housing usage is reduced by 90%
    • Your habitability floor is increased
    • The more colonies you gain, the weaker your Virtual Trait and the bigger its upkeep will become
    • Your leaders become immortal
  • You gain a new Policy to focus your intangible virtual economy
    • You may choose to focus intensely on Research, Unity or Governance, at the sufferance of the 2 categories you did not choose
  • You gain a bonus to encryption and decryption
  • You gain additional districts, as well as extra jobs from districts
Once you finish the tree, you will transition from a pop-limited playstyle into a planet-limited playstyle, as open jobs will be instantly filled with virtual pops as needed, while unemployed virtual pops will be turned off.

Some Virtuality Tooltips

Nanotech​

Big Things are made of Small Things.

By becoming a flood of nanites, your empire changes not just its makeup, but also its economy and growth strategy. Grow. Exploit. Replicate.

While Virtual Machines may seek a “Tall” playstyle, Nanotech Machines flood across the galaxy like an off-white or silvery tempest, specializing in the physical.
  • You gain access to:
    • Ways to transform basic resources into nanites and nanites into advanced resources
    • A new decision, similar to Terravore world consumption, to turn colonies into nanite worlds
    • A new starbase building to harvest nanites from uninhabitable worlds
    • New Edicts to vastly increase your productions or combat capability at the cost of nanites
    • Nanite probe ships, to bolster your fleets
Subsume World decision and Nanotech World

Nanite Probes

Modularity​

The most advanced traits require the most advanced minds. By embracing Modularity, your empire will have access to traits other machines can only theorize at. The rarest of resources will fuel your enhanced shells.
  • Your Metallurgists will produce Living Metal
  • Your roboticists will be boosted by utilizing living metal as an upkeep
  • Your workers/simple drones will be boosted by your priest equivalent
  • Your soldiers and enforcers will grant more stability and be stronger
  • You unlock 9 advanced machine traits, several trait picks, points, and reduced modification cost
  • All your leaders will gain the Synth leader trait
Modularity Tradition Tree

If you have Synthetic Dawn but do not have The Machine Age, you will retain access to the Synthetics Tree, but with reworked Traditions. These will include bonuses to lifespan, habitability and pop assembly.

Resistance is the Ratio of Voltage to Current Futile​

Driven Assimilator Authority Swap Icons

For owners of Synthetic Dawn, Driven Assimilators will gain two advanced authority possibilities in The Machine Age, the Memory Aggregators and the Neural Chorus. Upon completing the Cybernetic tradition tree, the Assimilator will receive the option to determine their stance on the variance of thought permitted within the gestalt consciousness.

This is the Neural Chorus:

The Neural Chorus

The Machine Ship Set​

In last week’s dev diary we snuck the Machine Corvette into the Arc Welders screenshot.

Here’s a “glamor shot” of the Machine ships that was arranged by our artists:

Machine Shipset

We finally have a Machine shipset.

Next Week​

Next week we’ll look at the Civics and Structures of The Machine Age, as well as Auto-Modding.

See you then!

Last edited:
  • 115Love
  • 67Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm really happy to see new spiritualist deviations form once becoming a machine empire.

Will this allow us to properly join Holy Covenants and act as president? I once created a Holy Covenant that consisted solely of vassals and me, a synthetic empire, but the game refused to hand me the presidency and therefore my federation completely lacked a president.

Will Under One Rule see any changes with the updated machine ascensions? In regards to bonuses after The Fall event where previously we received a +25% bonus to jobs from Synthetics.

Reactions:
That shipset looks gorgeous!

It's nothing like how I pictured a machine shipset, but it's great looking and I'm going to use it for some of my empires for sure.

I'm glad robots & machines will be able to assimilate each other.

Individual machine origins look really interesting!

This is the most hyped I've been for a DLC in a while.

Reactions:
You can easily hit 0% sprawl from pops with sovereign guardianship.

Virtuality seems really, really strong in several ways - but it’s the scaling energy upkeep that would eventually break them more so than empire sprawl. Every colony adds to the upkeep of everyone else, and your jobs still need input resources. Especially because they say you get more jobs from districts as it is.

(I am foreseeing this pairing well with shattered ring.)

It does seem like one hell of a “catch up” civic. Backed into a small corner? Lost a lot of pops? Poof, here’s 5 fully developed planets.
This.

At 0.1 energy per pop per planet, you end up with numbers like ~20 planets and ~1000 pops suddenly costing you 2000 extra energy (at 20 energy per tech drone, that's 10% of your pops just for pop upkeep). Bump it up to 40 planets/2000 pops and it's 8000 (needing 20% of your pops). Energy upkeep becomes the new sprawl: the larger you get, the larger and larger the % of your economy that is dedicated just to offsetting the additional cost from your size is (and sprawl makes that even worse, since now you're no longer growing research/unity output linearly with size). The job output penalty looks brutal, too, but that can be partially overcome with tech. The energy upkeep looks worse.

Virtuality looks like it will be amazing as a catch-up panic button (pops now in exchange for being softcapped on growth forever), or for people who were planning on having tiny empires anyway (free +50% resources from jobs and no more replicators/whatever).

I think this might be the first Tall content in a while which is actually tall (instead of just a tool for large empires to go wide more effectively, like the Sovereign Guardianship civics).

Last edited:
Reactions:
There's two new civics coming that might cover both of these. One is "Obsessional Directive" with the symbol of a paperclip View attachment 1104596 referencing the concept of a paperclip maximizer.

The other is "Natural Design" which I'm pretty sure is this civic View attachment 1104597. We don't know anything about it but it has what looks like robots with an X next to them and curiously the colours are only for regular and megacorp empires. I suspect this might be a Butlerian Jihad-esque civic.
Slight correction: regular and hive empires, not regular and megacorp.

Reactions:
So there it is, the DLC will be review bombed by the terminally angry online gamers because of:

1- the price, probably that much content will cost more than the usual for an expansion; and/or
2- the Machine habitability rework.

But who cares, Steam reviews are worthless when involving such deranged communities.

On another news, I just want to pre-purchase that thing right now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I see what you mean, the original meaning of tall and wide came from civ and civ-like games. But stellaris mechanics are different then those games so 1 city in stellaris is not one planet. As planets are far more of limiting factor in stellaris, then a city is in civ. So the idea we need to treat stellaris tall like civ is counterproductive to the way the game functions. Pop are important yes, but jobs do become a limiting factor very quickly even with a Econopolis. Then you must ask how do you even feed a econopolis without a energy and mineral world. As your not getting upkeep reductions. Yes you could vasselize, but not every RP nation will want to do this even if mechanically its the only way to make this work.

In civ you can offset this by the fact your city expands and constantly gets more jobs, stellaris you are hardcapped where civ is more a soft cap. I also think because the guaranteed habitable planets are default settings I see them more as extensions of your capital planet and not out side the bounds of tall play. I also believe habitats with in said systems are just a extension of the planet in question. I see them no different then orbital ring in that regard.

I am fine with tall being job limited population, I just believe the ascension in question should allow more growth thus more gameplay, then it does in the current iteration. Thous I think allowing habitats to not count as long as its in a system you have colony in is fair and would add a way to expand in a tall empire with out going out and colonizing many planets.
I do believe that simply counting systems rather than colonies would not fundamentally make this imbalanced or not "tall-supportive", especially after the Habitat-rework and as said, I do not believe there is a hard limit of "not being tall".

My issue was a more general one about the way that these tall vs. wide discussions go, with it quickly descending into "tall is already possible, just build more habitats". Because as you said, and I agree, a planet is vastly more important in Stellaris than a city in Civ. At the same time, Stellaris does not have tiles. Meaning that "wide" can't simply mean how large you are on the galaxy map, which is an arbitrary factor. I could cover half the galaxy and only have one single colonizable planet, this would not make me wide (excluding mining and research stations). "Tall" and "wide" in Stellaris need to refer to number of colonies, or the categories make no sense at all.

(The "tall means habitats" talking point also tends to miss the point, because there is no exclusivity of choice there. There is nothing stopping the "wide" empire from also doing that; in fact it might be even more able to do so. That is why the game always devolves to "chonky" - there is no choice between two options, there is simply one optimal one with no downsides or tradeoffs.)

What you didn't take into account that you will have MASSIVELY more pops/jobs per planet than without virtual.
you get -90% housing (making this a non-issue) AND more districts AND additional jobs per district AND pops being created on demand instantaneously.

So counting a virtual planet (without the +150%) as 100% productivity is already a flatout wrong premise.
The only thing you're correct about is that 5-6 planets maximizes the modifier bonus. It does not however equal 7.5 normal planets. It is far more than that (how much will be seen).
And it might still be worth it to take a 7th planet, if it is exceptionally valuable (i.e. a size 30 planet - massive potential there).
We do not fully know yet what those additional districts and jobs per district mean. If they bring actual productivity on the planet to something more akin to 10 or 15 planets out of 5 planets, rather than 7 out of 5 then yes, it would be a much more valuable. I had to go by the numbers we do already have.

EDIT: It also does not mention extensions more district unlocked, beyond planet size - and outside ringworlds and Ecus, I do not believe getting jobs filled is that great of an issue at the point in the game where you would get to fulfill an ascension.

As said, I'm not saying this won't work, I'm just arguing that for the point of it actually being viable, the end result needs to be closer to "I get the effect of 10-15 planets", rather than 7.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So there it is, the DLC will be review bombed by the terminally angry online gamers because of:

1- the price, probably that much content will cost more than the usual for a expansion; and/or
2- the Machine habitability reduction.

Another proof that Steam reviews are useless for that type of game is coming ! Yay !

On another news, I just want to pre-purchase that thing right now.
Tbh it never made any realistic sense that machines could just colonize anywhere without research and resource investment, unlike organic life. Sure machines are more resilient to things like temperature etc, but they suffer worse from things like radiation and eventually temperature too. Plus with out specialized alloys salt water and water in general will corrode, most metal objects.

In general I think they are good, I would tweak it abit though. Steam reviews are useful as long as you read them and don't just rely on the aggregate scores.

Reactions:
I'm forced to agree that, while I like the sound of most of this, I'm not crazy about the machine leader aging thing. I know I know, apparently an unpopular opinion, but bleh. Guess I'll just have to change that via modding.

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • Your workers/simple drones will be boosted by your priest equivalent
How does this impact rogue servitors who can't build an unlimited number of these? Do we get an improved bonus from bio trophies perhaps?

Also, with the changes to habitability, can we get an adjustment to how the penalty for bio pop growth in machine empires interacts with habitability? Right now, if you take something like Shattered Ring, any bio pops like bio-trophies end up with zero growth on non-ideal worlds, which is frustrating.

Edit: Also, damn, that new ship set is amazing. I can't wait to use it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like the idea of the virtual trait for tall gameplay, but I believe the bonuses are to small to make it a valid offer.

If we assume no other bonuses, one planet has a productivity of 100%. Two planets have a total productivity of 200%. With the bonuses to each (and assuming that it does count colonies, not the homeworld), this creates the following progression for virtual total empire productivity:
1 = 250%
2 = 450%
3 = 600%
4 = 700%
5 = 750%
6 = 750%
7 = 700% (point of normalization)
8 = 650%
9 = 450%
10 = 250%
11 = 275%
12 = 300%
And so on.

I do not know whether a peak of "if you limit yourself to 5/6 planets they'll be as effective as 7,5 planets" is all that desirable. 250% on the base world might seem desirable, but this is not an early game rush-option, it is locked behind an ascension. Limiting yourself to a single world would be less effective than even an empire with simply its three guaranteed starting planets colonized.

If we change the values to 450% bonus base and 75% falloff per colony, just as an example, we get this:
1 = 550%
2 = 950%
3 = 1200%
4 = 1300%
5 = 1250%
6 = 1050%
7 = 700% (point of normalization)
8 = 200%
9 = 225%
10 = 250%
11 = 275%
12 = 300%
And so on.

A single Planet is still not optimal in scenario obviously, and it leads to an extremely sharp dropoff past the point of normalization, but I find 4 planets being worth 13 a much more interesting option that 6 being worth 7,5; and much more in the spirit of "tall".
Remember that you also get extra jobs from districts and extra virtual pops that are instantly created to work these districts and 90% reduction to housing usage IN ADDITION TO +% resources from pops so one virtually ascended plabet might be worth several regular planets, thus until we see actual numbers to gauge equivalence between regular vs virtual worlds those calculations might be incomplete.

I'm forced to agree that, while I like the sound of most of this, I'm not crazy about the machine leader aging thing. I know I know, apparently an unpopular opinion, but bleh. Guess I'll just have to change that via modding.
I'm honestly ambivalent about it, I rarely see leaders die and with them starting at such young age with tech this will likely become a non issue. But yah I find it strange for machine intelligence to suddenly care about their leaders ages. As for individual machines, just as a computer can age and fail I see why this is thing. If their neural networks fail so do they essentially.

• 2Like
Reactions:
People like to talk about how machines could theoretically be immortal… but if we think about it in real life, machines typically have a life span that is lucky to measure in more than a decade. Hard drives crash, cars get so old they aren’t even worth replacing etc. you’ll see this happen to multiple machines throughout your own lifetime. Machines aren’t quite as eternal as some people think. Just a thought.

Reactions:
People like to talk about how machines could theoretically be immortal… but if we think about it in real life, machines typically have a life span that is lucky to measure in more than a decade. Hard drives crash, cars get so old they aren’t even worth replacing etc. you’ll see this happen to multiple machines throughout your own lifetime. Machines aren’t quite as eternal as some people think. Just a thought.
Also Theseus's ship

It's a bit tricky to replace certain parts without creating a new machine entirely

• 1Like
Reactions:
Tbf, one could argue that civilizations ascending would likely have far more advanced technology and plenty of time to refine the durability of their tech.

Alternatively, they could have started us off with the basic habitability and lifespan, then allow us to advance to the current status-quo after completing our ascension, or present them as lategame techs that enhance the machine trait itself.

Just a thought, personally I'm not much bothered by these changes given the extra roleplay with all the origins now available to machines, but I do think it'd be nice to reach the current bonuses over a gradual process.
That is kinda how they handling it already, lifespan will be increased through techs and ascensions+events and the like.

Tbf, one could argue that civilizations ascending would likely have far more advanced technology and plenty of time to refine the durability of their tech.

Alternatively, they could have started us off with the basic habitability and lifespan, then allow us to advance to the current status-quo after completing our ascension, or present them as lategame techs that enhance the machine trait itself.

Just a thought, personally I'm not much bothered by these changes given the extra roleplay with all the origins now available to machines, but I do think it'd be nice to reach the current bonuses over a gradual process.

Reactions:
Also Theseus's ship

It's a bit tricky to replace certain parts without creating a new machine entirely

Now that would be a worthwhile mechanic.

Upon machine leader's "death", you get a choice:
- Lose half its XP & traits and gain a new random trait (which you see at the time of the decision); or
- Pull the plug.

• 12Like
Reactions: