• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #128 - The Iron Century Finale

Good evening, or morning, or potentially afternoon. First off, I am happy to announce that if everything goes as planned we will release Patch 3.2 with the Iron Century bookmark on Tuesday. Yes, this Tuesday. The 28th of May. So for today's DD we will take a look at some of the remaining things we've added, starting with 5 new decisions.

Brother’s Legacy: For those who want to take up the legacy of Mardavij, we have added a special decision for his brother Vushmgir. This will give you a claim on Mardavij’s old regions as well as convert Vushmgir and any of his family to Zoroastrianism. In addition, you will receive Mardavij’s new bloodline, if you choose to pick up Zoroastrianism.

Clipboard07.png

Local Traditions of Rus: For the Norse Germanic rulers of Kievan Rus, it might be a good idea to turn to the local traditions (see Russian culture and Slavic faith) if you want better relations with your vassals. If Yngvar isn't played by a player, the AI will choose to use this decision at game start.

Clipboard08.png

Bulgarian Empire: This is not actually for the 936 bookmark itself, as… Well… There already is a Bulgarian Empire there, but rather for the fans of Bulgaria who want to recreate history in the earlier bookmarks.

Clipboard12.png

Establish Cairo: As you might know, Cairo wasn’t actually an important city at the start of our bookmark. Or the two earlier bookmark start dates (see 769 and 867) either. It was not until the Fatimids invaded the Ikhshidids and took control of the region that they established Cairo as the capital of their Caliphate, and quickly built it up over a couple of years. Similarly, if you play as the Fatimids and invade Egypt, you get to make Cairo a special city as well! Congratulations! Woo!

Clipboard10.png

Establish Castle Habsburg: For those of you who are particularly interested in weirdly shaped jawlines, we have added a decision to form Castle Habsburg. If you play as anyone of the Etichonen dynasty and hold the province of Basel, you will have the decision to establish the Habsburg castle. All close (living) relatives of the founder in question will become a part of the new von Habsburg dynasty.

Clipboard09.png

Now then, onward to the new bloodlines we are adding. One of the goals when adding these was to try and keep them pretty insular for the 936 Bookmark, so you'd rarely see them outside of it. We've added 6 new ones, and we'll start with the three pretty generic ones:
Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Clipboard03.png

Now onwards to the two special Muslim ones. Both the Shia and Qarmatian Leadership makes it easier to create the religious head titles, skipping several requirements for the holder.
Clipboard04.png

Clipboard05.png

And finally, the Otto the Great bloodline. Princely Elective Boon makes any holder of the bloodline more likely to be picked by vassals as the new Emperor in a Princely Elective system. You receive this bloodline if you manage to form the HRE as Otto.
Clipboard06.png

And finally, the changelog for the new patch:

Code:
###################
# Free Features
###################
- New Bookmark
    - 'The Iron Century', set in 936
- New Cultures
    - Sardinian
    - Slovieni
- New Shiite Heresy
    - Qarmatian
- Map Reworks
    - Portugal and south-western Spain
        - 2 New Navigable rivers
        - 1 New Duchy
        - 3 New Provinces
    - Egypt
        - The Nile has been made navigable
        - 7 New Provinces
        - 3 New Duchies
- Added 3D models for Hagia Sophia.

###################
# Interface
###################
- Changed the previous Great Work shortcut in the great Works view to B from P in order to be more consistent with other views.
- Fixed the Great Works ledger page being present even if the Game Rules were set to not include Great Works.

###################
# User modding
###################
- Added NUDGE_WONDER_MODEL_LAND and NUDGE_WONDER_MODEL_COAST Lua defines.
- Added destroy_wonder effect.
- Added set_wonder_model effect.
- Fixed the wonder view modifier text lacking a newline when used in single column mode.
- Resuming wonder no longer checks is_active triggers.

###################
# Database
###################
- Corrected the position of the docks in Ceredigion so that it is now connected to a body of water.

###################
# Bug Fixes
###################
- Non bastard children now correctly uses their biological father's base attributes, instead of the default value, when calculating their yearly chance to increase their base attributes when growing up.
- Corrected the positioning of the Notre Dame Great Work model.
- Adjusted the brightness of the Cathedral Great Work texture.
- Reduced the size of the Cathedral Great Work model by 20%.
- Fixed clicking on the minimap to move the camera not working properly with GUI scaling.
- Fixed assassination plot event description incorrectly using the word poisonous instead of venomous.
- Fixed the highway robber band event not targeting Great Works in the character's demesne before Great Works in neighboring provinces.
- Fixed a faulty trigger in the decision for converting to tribal holdings to castles.
- Fixed an issue with the event to convert Hagia Sophia, which would cause the Great Work to not be active for Muslim rulers.
- Fixed an issue that stopped the Golden Crown Feature from showing up in the list of available Features for a stage 4 Statue Great Work.
- Fixed building the Moat Pit Feature on a Great Fortress enabling the other moat Features to be built on any Great Fortress.
- Fixed building the Bells Feature on a Great Cathedral enabling the Golden Bells Feature to be built on any Great Cathedral.
- Fixed Great Works Features that require a stored relic to be active, being active just from any relic being stored in any Feature owned by the same owner.
- Fixed moat Features for the Great Fortress not being visible in the available Features tab until the Pit Moat Feature was built.
- Fixed a crash caused by corrupted Great Works in save games.
- Fixed court size modifiers on buildings in the capital province not being applied.
- Fixed tooltips on buildings outside of the capital province claiming that they should provice a court size modifier.
- Fixed the Hagia Sophia conversion event triggering even though its culture already matches your religion.
- Rename messages should no longer be listed in the message settings.
- Retinue size is now also calculated from character modifiers.
- Moved retinue size modifier in Palace Great Work to owner scope.
- Slightly reworked order of operations for calculating max retinue cap.
- Homosexual female lovers are no longer referred to as male.
- Made sure event about mystic dying has the right border decoration.
- Newly built Great Work features no longer always get statue descriptions.

I am excited to see what people will say about the new bookmark on Tuesday. Have fun!

And a great thanks to WJS for helping me out by writing an AAR about Thankmar. Here's a link to the final chapter: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...century-mini-aar.1179523/page-3#post-25488768

• 1Love
Reactions:
For long time I’ve suffered a CK2 burnout, but you guys really did the best to rekindle my love! I especially enjoy the featured ruler feature. Once it gets achievement-compatible I’ll be blissed

I think they're going for regions that fit in gameplay instead of airtight historical accuracy (like Taurica being switched out with Crimea). What they have for Wallachia now roughly fits the state that was a vassal of the Ottomans or the Hungarians, right?
Thing is, ingame Wallachia covers both real life Wallachia AND Moldavia, meaning that you can form Wallachia by owning all of real life Moldavia and maybe one province of real life Wallachia, which makes little to no sense.

Talking about population density... this should be reflected by numbers of holdings, not by provinces. A province with one holding is not as dense populated as a province with 7 holdings. Using province numbers makes no sense.
Still does not justify the lack of provinces in Iberia, compared to Western Europe.
If we are trying to make the reconquista accurate and according to historical progress then more provinces are a must, since historically the reconquista was 700 years of very slow, indecisive and gradual territorial gains, going back and forth, the only time when there were fast and decisive territorial gains was in 1220-1260 when the Catholics took around 1/3 of Iberia, leaving Islam barely surviving in Granada.
Right now, the reconquista is decided in 2-3 decisive wars of huge gains, 50 years are enough for any Catholic to finish its reconquista, or for Islam to dominate Iberia. It should be a very slow and gradual process with small gains in every war. This can only be achieved by smaller duchies, and more counties with fewer holdings.

Reconquista aside, the wars between Iberians themselves also always resulted in very tiny territorial changes, like border towns of the likes of Tuy, Badajoz, Alicante, Biscay, Albarracin, Algeciras, Tarifa, Gibraltar, Xiquena, Huelma, Atenquera, Ciudad Rodrigo, Olivenza etc... Right now, the huge provinces always result in any war causing complete bordergore.

Last edited:
If you added enough province for a realistic Reconquista, Spain as a whole would be infinitely more powerful than all other places. The map in general just doesn't have the scale for it. I:R can get away with a hugely detailed map because it doesn't have the same kind of characters. In CK2 however each county and to a lesser degree each barony comes with its own court that needs to be processed.

If you added enough province for a realistic Reconquista, Spain as a whole would be infinitely more powerful than all other places. The map in general just doesn't have the scale for it. I:R can get away with a hugely detailed map because it doesn't have the same kind of characters. In CK2 however each county and to a lesser degree each barony comes with its own court that needs to be processed.
You can keep the balance by working around holdings per province. Besides nobody is asking for I:R level of province numbers or provinces with the size of Gibraltar and Olivenza. I only ask for reasonable numbers, I would be perfectly happy with Iberia having a 20 density (currently they have around 12, while England and France have almost 30, Italy has over 40 and the Flanders 45)

Right now, before this patch is released, Wales has the same number of provinces as Portugal (which in itself is even slightly denser than Spain).
I don't think i need to explain why this makes little sense on a balance, historical, or gamplay reasons. I think its perfectly reasonable to ask for a few more provinces without it changing the balance.

Last edited:
Can reformed pagans build library or university great works now?

Saw in a previous thread someone asked if this would be allowed and a Dev replied to file it as a bug report. Did it change in the last patch and I didn't notice?

As far as I know, reformed pagans can use already built universities and libraries but the only pagans who can build them are Hellenic. Is this WAD?

Talking about population density... this should be reflected by numbers of holdings, not by provinces. A province with one holding is not as dense populated as a province with 7 holdings. Using province numbers makes no sense.

Neither provinces nor number of holdings was originally intended to refect population, as far a si recall.
Provinces for overall military strength and holdings for wealth of said province.
Population played no part.

The later included population mechanics for tribes and nomads don't really change that.

On the other hand Ck2 lost any clear overall design idea many years ago, so i don't really care.
Just sharing my memories and opinion.

Neither provinces nor number of holdings was originally intended to refect population, as far a si recall.
Provinces for overall military strength and holdings for wealth of said province.
Population played no part.

The later included population mechanics for tribes and nomads don't really change that.

On the other hand Ck2 lost any clear overall design idea many years ago, so i don't really care.
Just sharing my memories and opinion.
"Overall military strenght" is immeasurable, purely subjective and means nothing.
Besides, military strenght is more than just numbers.

"Overall military strenght" is immeasurable, purely subjective and means nothing.
Besides, military strenght is more than just numbers.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but i can't pretend to care.

Since i wasn't able to find anything with a quick search have the devs given us the cultural and religious map mode of the new start date?
I am curious if cultures like the Saka, Sogdian etc that are available at the two earlier starts will be available for the new bookmark. More or less the same issue with religion.

Since i wasn't able to find anything with a quick search have the devs given us the cultural and religious map mode of the new start date?
I am curious if cultures like the Saka, Sogdian etc that are available at the two earlier starts will be available for the new bookmark. More or less the same issue with religion.

I do not know if there was ever a cultural or religion set up shown.

I haven't seen any such map, but they releasing the bookmark tomorrow so we'll all be able to check for ourselves soon.

Seems we don't have the map modes in question.

@Snow Crystal
If it is not too much of a hassle could we have the cultural and religious map modes for the new bookmark (and posibly also the political map)??? Pretty please!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just to plan our new campaigns.