• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bring back Irminsul

However, his next move was taken from him by the pox. Saxony was beset upon by a number of plagues; slow fever, camp fever, and the dreaded smallpox that took hold throughout the middle part of the kingdom.
A punishment for this sin of apostasy! :p

Another great update - glad Thankmar is bringing back the old ways! ;)

Well, this is certainly going to be quite a crisis for the "Romans" to manage. First a Saxon usurper casts aside the Imperial crown, then he boldly proclaims a return to the Old Ways that threatens to undo the work of centuries. I sense a crusade coming on...

(Incidentally, it might just be down to several hours of playing Skyrim, but I keep hearing the "Old Man" speaking with Max von Sydow's voice.)

Chapter 2: Thankmar's Rebellion

On the 15th of November, 936, Thankmar, Eberhard of Franconia, and Wichmann of East Frisia declared war against the tyranny of Otto of Germany. Giselbert of Lotharingia and Boleslav of Bohemia honored their commitments to Thankmar, and joined his side.

As Thankmar summoned his levies and brought them together at his modest castle at Hildesheim, a single rider arrived from the east. "Thankmar, rightful king and heir of Heinrich the Fowler, I bring word from Gero, Margrave of the Eastern Marches of Germany. Gero finds your cause just, and declares his intent to join your side!"

View attachment 482419

Thankmar stared at the rider, taken aback. "We gladly accept Gero's willingness to join our campaign. Come, let us together demonstrate who the true king is!"

In the evening, Strezislava spoke with Thankmar. "You were so shocked to see someone else support you. Do you have such doubts about the sacred justness of the cause?"

Thankmar turned to his wife and caressed her cheek. "Not at all. But the one other reason I fight is because Gero's lands were supposed to be mine. If Otto had granted them to me, I might have been persuaded to not take my rightful place."

She leaned in, calm and warm. "Then we can be thankful God has seen fit to judge Otto's selfishness and flagrant disregard for family."

He growled. "Speaking of family..." With a nod he dismissed the attendants.

Thankmar left the next day with his troops, trying to gain advantage with speed against Otto's scattered forces. Some early victories against small bands of troops loyal to Otto were found on the roads and crushed. Eberhard, Gero, and Wichmann gathered their troops. Boleslav summoned his forces but was immediately called to interfere with their tributaries in Orava and Sacz, both fighting for dominance and being simultaneously invaded with Magyars.

Thankmar hunched over battle plans on a table in a tent in Nassau. Men from Wichmann and Eberhard had gathered, and Gero was close behind. Bohemian forces were remaining east, but the full fury of forces loyal to Otto was marching on Nassau. Thankmar looked over the troop readiness. He felt confident in the discipline of his men, but not in their numbers; the Lotharingian contingent was late. To the east, reports on the approaching Ottonian armies increased. To the west... the banner of Lotharingia came into view, but the total number of riders was one.

The emissary entered the tent, and the pretender blurted impatiently, "Where are Giselbert's men? We should be seeing them by now."

"Your majesty, I bring word from Count Reginar of Liège."

"The Count of Liège? Giselbert won't even send me an emissary himself?"

"I fear not, your majesty, on account of his untimely death."

View attachment 482422

"Giselbert's daughter Geberga is the new Duchess, and on account of her age, Reginar is regent of Lotharingia. He writes to inform you that Geberga will not support your endeavor, and it is the advice of the council that further talk of alliances should only commence after the war is won. The Duchess offers prayers to her uncle, confident that God goes with you."

Thankmar waved the rider out. He pulled out a dagger and started carving notches into the table. "What a delightful child," he muttered. "What a thoughtful, pious child, sending all of God to me."

An alarm was raised, and Thankmar paced out of the tent, dagger in hand. He looked east, seeing the banners or, an eagle sable among them. That blackguard of a brother had the temerity to borrow Charlemagne's symbols?

As the soldiers descended upon the camp, Thankmar cursed to himself, "Where is God now, and can He lead a flank for once?"

View attachment 482423

His men showed great discipline and prevented their numbers from being thinned too much, so as they broke and scattered, Thankmar knew his brother had not yet won the war. He set about gathering all his remaining allies. The Jews proved willing to loan him extra funds, and he hired the Swiss Band to fight with him. With numbers on his side, he returned his forces to meet the Ottonian army. They lay siege to Hildesheim, and there was no way he was going to let Strezislava fall into Otto's clutches.

View attachment 482425View attachment 482426

This battle was won, but the war continued, and the rebel forces sieged down Magdeburg and prepared to meet the loyalists a second time. Wichmann turned and left the main body to head home. Danes were invading, from Skåne and Skagen, vying for Ostfriesland and Hadeln. The Polish arrived in Lausitz, trying to take land from Gero. Magyars invaded Bavaria, which, thankfully, remained with Otto, so they were welcome to take it.

The Ottonians returned to try to siege Hildesheim a second time, and for family, Thankmar once again repelled their forces. And just in time...

View attachment 482427View attachment 482428

Thankmar burst into the family chapel. "Ekkehard, I hear my daughter is being recorded as Richara von Württemberg. Why von Württemberg? Isn't she a Ludolfinger, like me?"

His chaplain hemmed and hawed. "Thank.... er, your majesty, it is..."

"It's Otto, isn't it?"

"Your majesty, I am afraid that you are recorded in the German records as a bastard?"

"My father and mother were married under the watchful eyes of the Lord when I was born! Does that sound like a bastard to you?"

"According to the records, your mother was a nun, and the marriage was considered void."

"She was in the convent, but she had not yet taken the oath. So my father tossed her aside for Matilda, they had Otto, and God says this is all well and good, and Otto is king, and so much more spewing drivel?"

"W-well..."

"Fine, write what you wish, make the books whatever the Pope needs to see to be happy. But mark my words, I will not let my child grow up with such an insult to her name."

Over the course of the rebellion, chaos reigned. Pagans saw the battles and attrition throughout Germany as opportunity. They bickered among themselves; Skåne, Skagen, Westergautland, Greater Poland, all trying to take pieces out of Germany or the rebels, or both.

View attachment 482430

The forces loyal to either Thankmar and Otto dwindled. More troops were diverted to pagan incursions. The sieges and countersieges contributed to the attrition. But Thankmar held his soldiers as a cohesive force, and was able to track down Otto in Paderborn, at Eresburg, stationed out of the church of St. Peter. The rebel armies arrived and lay siege, routing the small number of loyalists and surrounded the church atop the hill.

Thankmar insisted on entering alone. He was told to take care, as a plot against his life led by Otto was discovered. He shrugged off the worry and approached.

He took off his sword and handed it to an attendant as he entered the church. Striding in, the sun at his back, he called out, "Otto, my brother, this adventure is at its end, wouldn't you agree?"

Otto rose from his kneeling position, finishing his prayer. "Do not approach, brother, for you are an enemy of the king."

Thankmar laughed. "Come, I mean you no harm. Why, this is holy ground. So holy that Charlemagne himself burned the pagan Irminsul of Saxony that existed on this very site. I would never dream of trying to murder you in a place like this. What, are you afraid of a spear suddenly bursting through the window, to impale you where you stand?"

Thankmar looked at the window, the illuminated form of St. Peter staring down at the two would-be kings. Otto, stunned, looked at St. Peter with urgency, then back to his brother. Thankmar grinned widely as the silence refused to exit. Slowly, quietly, he answered, "This is sanctuary. We are safe."

Otto shuddered, realizing how truly defeated he had become. "I... yes. We can end this."

Thankmar approached, put his arm around Otto, and assured him that he would not let any harm come to him. Outside, Otto saw Liutfried, his best spearsman, held down by Thankmar's soldiers. He winced as they separated Liutfried's head from his shoulders.

"Here are the terms of your surrender," Thankmar explained. "The marriage of our father Henry to Hatheburg of Merseburg, my mother, is agreed to be valid. This means that I am his legitimate first born son, and I am thereby the one fit to be the heir. I and my daughter, Richara, are heretofore agreed to be full members of House Ludolfinger. And you shall remain in my custody, for your rebellion against the duchies, your claim of Charlemagne, your belief in a new empire... all this ends here, today."

View attachment 482431

Eberhard wiped his brow and approached Thankmar. "Congratulations, with the defeat at St. Peters, you are the true King of the Germans, scion of Heinrich the Fowler, and true inheritor of the mandate of Charlemagne."

Thankmar snorted and looked straight into Eberhard's eyes. "I am more Widukind than Charlemagne in this victory today. Charlemagne is the man who bound us together, and he is the man Otto pretended to be. We are no longer East Francia. We are Saxons, Franconians, Swabians, Bavarians. Let us no longer pretend to be beholden to someone else."

View attachment 482432

Granting all the Stem Duchies IMHO shouldn't be a choice. Either you become the next King of the Germans, or the kingdom dissolves on your succession and you get the appropriate succeeding kingdom.

Another note, AFAIK the Christian* Sachsenross* is white, whereas the Pagan Sachsenross* was black. (*- the (literally saxon) horse on the dynastic shield of the Liudolfinger, nowadays used by Niedersachsen and Twente; the pagan variant was a black horse on gold) .

Also the HRE becoming defunct, I'd also disagree with that, without Otto the Great, it's likely that powerful kings of Italy will continue to get this honour.

Chapter 5
Chapter 5: Born Again

Thankmar rode back into Braunschweig with a hero's welcome. Many of the peasants had heard of their king's conversion and took up the old faith themselves. In many ways, they still recognized it in their superstitions, old traditions, all the little quirks that they were taught growing up to never show the priests. The tale of his miraculous return from the frozen waters of the Mälaren had run ahead, mixing with tales of a natural rebirth, baptism by the wild. He reveled with his subjects and welcomed ambassadors from the lands to the north.

The revelry died down, and people filed out of the banquet halls, until only two remained. Two who were never there to celebrate.

upload_2019-5-23_22-31-0.png

upload_2019-5-23_22-31-24.png

"Adaldag, Adolf, good to see you. Have you come to pay your respects?"

The two archbishops looked at each other. Adaldag, as usual, spoke for them both. "Your majesty, we have come in the hope that you would pay your respects."

Thankmar narrowed his eyes. "Preposterous. You are my vassals. Why do you have a need that I pay respects to you?"

"It is not to us, your majesty, but to the King of Kings. Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ."

Thankmar drummed his fingers on his armrest. He let the pause grow stale before responding, "Indeed?"

Adolf blurted out, "Don't you think all this devotion to false pagan gods has gone on long enough?" Adaldag reflexively grabbed at Adolf's vestments.

"False pagan gods?" Thankmar hung the words in the air like a fresh woodlands kill. He turned his head slightly to stare at them with his ruined, sightless eye. Even if he could not clearly make out their expressions, he could feel their souls squirm underneath his gaze. "No, I don't think it has gone on long enough."

Adaldag recovered. "Then I must inform your majesty that it is the opinion of the church that your choice of your brother, who has also turned to heathenry, is unfit to be king, and we have agreed to choose Gero, Margrave of the Eastern Marches, as the preferred candidate."

upload_2019-5-23_22-33-49.png

Thankmar inhaled deeply, slowly, and smiled in a rictus of bridled fury. "Well, I suppose if Jesus requires it, it must be so, after all. Thank you for your wise counsel, good sirs."

He saw them out, and sent word to Heinrich, in his role as spymaster, to see to their continued well being.

The Viking dignitaries brought a young woman, Gyrið, to serve the king as handmaid and concubine. They further stated that although their godis are interpreting the signs of Mälaren favorably, there was still too much arrayed against the Old Faith. The godis beseeched Thankmar for further signs that Odin was smiling upon them more strongly than before. That chance occurred quicker than he expected.

upload_2019-5-23_22-34-11.png

The Kingdom of Thuringia suffered a revolt it could not possibly contain. Soon afterward, the King of Swabia died. The Duchy of Hesse, originally Franconian, then inherited by the king, declared its independence as a collection of small counties. It was as if lambs were brought before the lion to feast. He gathered his troops to invade, satisfied that he no longer needed proof that the lands were his by right; his might was all the right he needed.

Furthermore, Strezislava gave him the gift he was needing all this time:

upload_2019-5-23_22-34-40.png

She suggested he be named Liutbrand; he said no, he will be Widukind.

The archbishops, still, could be occasionally convinced to keeping the kingship in the family, but not consistently. Still, the simple solution was to no longer require their opinion.

Yet until that time, Thankmar continued to demonstrate the greatness of Wotan, and insisted that the godis come to Zeeland to oversee the construction of a greater monument there, at the spot where Thankmar first met the All-Father.

upload_2019-5-23_22-35-4.png

It would take decades to complete, but it would endure.

As a show of further strength, he staged a Great Blot. His first. From all over Midgard people came to the Zeeland Altar. From all over Christendom, rulers sent their chaplains to the sacrifice.

upload_2019-5-23_22-36-24.png

Adaldag was aghast at the growing strength of Wotan. Adolf, on the other hand...

upload_2019-5-23_22-36-51.png

Throughout the construction, pausing only for the Blot, Saxons stormed the lands of Hesse and Thuringia, and one kingdom fell to the Saxons.

upload_2019-5-23_22-37-21.png

And this is all the godis needed to see to agree: as a Christian kingdom fell, so does Wotan's chosen kingdom rise.

In Franconia, they had lost Hesse and had minor rebellion, but Eberhard's son Ludwig held the kingdom well.

upload_2019-5-23_22-37-51.png

Hesse managed to secure a non-aggression pact with Saxony and were allowed to live, for now.

upload_2019-5-23_22-38-44.png

In Swabia, the kingdom held their boundaries, and remained stable.

upload_2019-5-23_22-40-33.png

Bavaria was held by the same king, but was wracked with rebellion and had already lost its east to settling Pecheneg and Magyar marauders.

upload_2019-5-23_22-41-19.png

upload_2019-5-23_22-41-40.png

Otakar's son, Eberhard, continued to lead Kärnten through challenges, but remained capable.

upload_2019-5-23_22-47-19.png

The godis agreed with the signs: Thankmar was the Son of Wotan on Midgard, here to lead his people in defense against infidel faiths.

upload_2019-5-23_22-42-53.png

His son Widukind, and his sons after that, would carry the mantle in future years.

Thankmar came to visit his brother Otto one final time, bringing fierce Saxon warriors with him.

upload_2019-5-23_22-43-22.png

And so, returning to Aachen, Thankmar showed Otto what true power means.

upload_2019-5-23_22-44-0.png

And thus ends this AAR. May you all find stories as varied as these throughout your exploration of The Iron Century.

Great mini-AAR - it really did its job in getting me hyped for Iron Century! Cant wait to have my own adventures in the new bookmark. :D

Nice tale WJS :D

An excellent story!
Though in fact I hope the AAR to continue.

[Expecting a possible Crusade for Saxony]

Edit: Of course Ivar should have his priority!

Last edited:
This is a great style of AAR, well done. Would like to see it continue..!

I wonder why Thankmar went for Divine Marriage.
Dogmatic + Divine Marriage + Temporal = I am the high god. Honestly, that's the only reason. Saxony doesn't really need the Sons of Ragnarok because they're already feudal and border rich lands for all their raiding needs. Religious Tax instead of Divine Marriage would have been sufficient.

As for any continuation...
  • I did originally plan this with Chapter 5 being Saxony gets crusaded to oblivion, but since that wasn't forthcoming, I focused on Thankmar becoming Son of Wotan instead.
  • Of course, I'm sure the crusade would be forthcoming (I did a play run and yes, a few years later the First Crusade for Saxony gets anounced).
  • What keeps me from continuing too far is that this and other 936 testing was already preventing me from making much progress with Ivar the Bönless so I'm wondering if I should go back to that story instead.
What do people think?