• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #123 - Iron Century

Hello!

As you probably know by now we released our 3.1.1 patch yesterday. Hopefully those of you who have managed to try it are enjoying it, and those of you who haven’t will jump in this weekend. Let us know what you think about the court and tech changes, and as always if you run into any issues, please report them in the bug forum!

Now onto something new, there have been a few hints here and there about what we have been working on. However now we can officially announce that we will be releasing a new historical bookmark called: The Iron Century. The bookmark will start on the 7th of August 936, a previously unplayable date and our first in the 10th century.

CK2_IronCentury_1920x1080.jpg

In Europe Otto marches on the path to an Empire, Rival Caliphs battle for control of the Muslim world and the last remnants of the vikings stir to the north. Hundreds of other characters have their own stories to tell. A thousand possibilities await in the Iron Century.

Next week we will do something special and have a new dev diary about the 936 bookmark every day from Monday to Friday to cover the setting of the medieval world in the 10th century. Also I want to make it clear that ‘The Iron Century’ update will be completely free.

A correction from last weeks dev diary is that the correct weekday of our Crusader Kings stream is Wednesdays 16:00 CEST and not the previously mentioned Thursdays.

Thanks for reading everyone!

CK2 Team

• 2Love
Reactions:
I would've preferred more dynamic historical events guiding the game into being a bit more realistic

That’s true, but I’m not against new start dates, since X century was very interesting. Although it’s said that there will be no possibility to choose a date between 936 and 1066 - Vladimir I Rurikovich is still unplayable :oops:

That’s true, but I’m not against new start dates, since X century was very interesting. Although it’s said that there will be no possibility to choose a date between 936 and 1066 - Vladimir I Rurikovich is still unplayable :oops:

Making just 936 playable took many hundreds of hours of implementation and testing.

Making just 936 playable took many hundreds of hours of implementation and testing.

Some before/after screenshots might be useful in the dev diaries, if there are visible changes between what you get if you load 936.8.7 using 3.1.1 (with a small mod letting you select the date) and what's in IC.

Some before/after screenshots might be useful in the dev diaries, if there are visible changes between what you get if you load 936.8.7 using 3.1.1 (with a small mod letting you select the date) and what's in IC.

Not the best picture, but here you can sort of see what it'd look like if you just opened 936 in 3.1.1 vs 3.2. If I recall correctly, there was around 2000 errors on launch (see missing rulers, etc) when I first started working on it.

iron_century.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Not the best picture, but here you can sort of see what it'd look like if you just opened 936 in 3.1.1 vs 3.2. If I recall correctly, there was around 2000 errors on launch (see missing rulers, etc) when I first started working on it.

View attachment 481822

That picture and the error count makes it rather obvious that creating the IC start date (without any extras that you've not revealed yet) wasn't the kind of thing you do in a lazy afternoon.

View attachment 481822

No chance to reconsider an Irish High-Kinship?

View attachment 481822
Some questions:
1. Will the celtic paganism you planned before be added in CK2 before the game itself ends?
2. Will we still be able to see fictional Avar descents in 936 start as a rather weak duke under Zoltan? Reviving old Pannonia could also be a challenging, but also interesting game goal.

I would've preferred more dynamic historical events guiding the game into being a bit more realistic and sane, rather than them adding another scenario that only a fraction of the player base will bother trying more than once or twice.

The game is also still in need of many QoL features, e.g. evidenced by the fact it's the only PDX strategy title to not have hotkeyable units (control-groups).
I think more people will play this than you think. Its fresh compared to 1066, but still close enough to the crusades to enjoy the new Holy Fury Content. Europe is decidedly feudal and fitting with the game mechanics, but is divided enough to be more fun. Also pagan players still have Norsemen in the north. Italy and Germany might actually become fun to play in. For those who play outside of Europe, dueling Caliphates is really cool compared to the Seljuks and Abbasids of other dates. I think CKII is unlike other PDS games in that people play the older start dates nearly as much as vanilla, but Steacy can correct me if I'm wrong. I really feel this date will become vary popular with players. At least it will be popular with me.

Otto I used the exactly same title as Charlemagne and the Carolingians. King of the Romans/Roman Emperor. And his Realm was called 'Roman Empire' too. The 'Holy' was never added until the 12th century. They added it in the 12th century because of the beef with the pope. For the people like Otto I the Holy Roman Empire was the exactly same state as the one Charlemagne ruled.
Personally I see it as Charlemagne is the First Holy Roman Emperor But his realm is still the Frankish Empire. Ottos Empire is like the Empire Of Nicaea a Successor State.

Also I regret giving Bulgaria Thrace now.

Last edited:
Extremely hyped to play as Amlaíb Cuarán.

Though, given the political map above, and the lack of a Norse-Gael culture, I'm trepidatious about a historically faithful implementation of peak Kingdom of the Isles.