• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No one should mistake Bold's lack of belief in slavery as being a slave to kindness

So the war continues and the young Khan of Persians still do not know for defeat. Also, I must notice that Ozmush probably sees a potential ally in Bold in his future rebellion plot against khagan of Kyrgyz.

No one should mistake Bold's lack of belief in slavery as being a slave to kindness

Definitely. There is more to him than anyone can see right now.

So the war continues and the young Khan of Persians still do not know for defeat. Also, I must notice that Ozmush probably sees a potential ally in Bold in his future rebellion plot against khagan of Kyrgyz.

Ozmush-khan is a cunning man that is willing to take the risks. Bold is one of those risks he's willing to take. As for Wolf of Persia, he hasn't faced a serious opponent yet, so we can't say anything about him yet.

Let myself get behind a little on this story, but thankfully I've caught up again :)

Bold's legend continues to grow. Defeating a hated enemy that tried to drive you out of your new home and turning the tables on him like that seems like an apt turn of poetic justice. Let the Kimak petty-khagan stew in his failure.

And like @valentino, I get the feeling that Ozmush is sounding out Bold as a possible ally in schemes that may go beyond the immediate threat of the Kalmuks.

Let myself get behind a little on this story, but thankfully I've caught up again :)

Bold's legend continues to grow. Defeating a hated enemy that tried to drive you out of your new home and turning the tables on him like that seems like an apt turn of poetic justice. Let the Kimak petty-khagan stew in his failure.

And like @valentino, I get the feeling that Ozmush is sounding out Bold as a possible ally in schemes that may go beyond the immediate threat of the Kalmuks.

It is good to have you back, mate!

I suppose we can call it Bold's legend, for he has not lost a single battle, which may or may not change in the future. Ozmush is a sly dog, a very smart man. He sees an opportunity, he grabs it. ;)

Chapter 4 - By the end of 1066

November 6th, 1066

A hole was dug out in the ground, large enough to hold five men at once, seven if they were frail and tiny, and deep enough to stop them from climbing out. Khagan Kutan of Kimak clan was thrown in the hole which was covered with wooden poles to prevent him from what could be called a miraculous escape if he managed to pull it out somehow in the constant presence of the guards and only one exit. He has spent a whole night there. To Bold it seemed a better option compared to being chained. At first. Sometimes after midnight, it started raining heavily, and dust mixed with water turned into a mud. There was no escaping rain, and the night was cold.

Morning sun was high in the sky above the Cuman settlement where Persians rested day after the raid. Bold wondered has he made a mistake by leaving khagan outside on the cold rain. For all he knew, he was old and all that was left of him could be his corpse after spending the whole night outside in the wet cold. Hormuz and Javeed had left the yurt not too long ago to prepare the army for moving out. Ever since he left the yurt after last night’s feast with young Cuman maid, khan Ozmush of clan Saur has not returned. Undoubtedly, he was having the time of his life with her. After his sword was sharpened and clean, Bold walked outside and headed towards his prisoner. What he found was a sight of weak man, dirty and looking like a corpse. Dried mud covered most of his clothes and body, and his face looked least like a human’s face. He was all brown and black except for the white eyes which looked at Bold with determination. He was not broken. Yet. Two small blades were sharpened and sheathed under Bold’s belt in case he had to prove he was true to his word.

‘’Good morning, khagan.’’ Bold said formally and crouched next to the hole, looking down at Cuman leader who leaned against the mud wall of the hole just for a mere moment. He pulled out one of the daggers and played with it not even honoring Kutan enough to look at him. ‘’Did you rest well?’’

Kutan just stared at Bold with eyes filled with hatred. Such a helpless man, a thought crossed Bold’s mind and the sight of khagan almost made him laugh. His lips were sealed, although he would scream when Bold cuts one of his eyes out, like he promised last night. He mocked the man in the hole ‘’You slept so well you are unable to find the words to describe it?’’

Two guards standing around the hole smirked at Bold’s comment. Khagan tried to stand up and retain his pride, or what was left of it. He obviously struggled, as he slipped two times before he managed to get on his feet. Even then, he was worn out and could not stand straight. ‘’Where is my family, Persian?’’

‘’They are alive and healthy, but then you might not have the eyes to see for yourself.’’

He nodded. Gesturing with his hand, Bold ordered guards to leave. After they left, he stabbed the blade in the ground and said ‘’You shouldn’t have insulted me in front of my men, khagan.’’

Khagan smiled ‘’Yet I did.’’

Bold kept a straight face ‘’You said that knowing what I have to do? Even after you disgraced yourself by attacking me in the field of battle?’’

‘’I am well aware of my destiny, Persian.’’ Khagan replied ‘’Before you end my life, may I ask for a favor? I ask you not as a prisoner, but as a khagan. As a leader would ask a leader.’’

Bold hesitated for a few moments thinking what possibly could he ask of him. Then he nodded ‘’Say it, and I will see it granted if it’s in my power.’’

Khagan sighed out of relief, suddenly looking like a much weaker and smaller man ‘’End my life out of this pit. End it with a clean stroke, so I die with honor. You can take my eyes out, or cut off my limbs. At least let me to stand proud in front of my people.’’

‘’I will grant you the last wish.’’ Bold replied after some consideration and khagan nodded his head, allowing himself to sit back and lean against the ground wall. ‘’You are very young. You haven’t seen twenty summers yet, have you?’’

Bold shook his head ‘’I haven’t.’’

‘’I made a mistake by underestimating you because of that.’’ Kutan admitted.

‘’You were not the first one.’’

‘’And I won’t be the last.’’ he said.

Bold smirked ‘’It’s my biggest advantage, isn’t it?’’

‘’I cannot disagree with that, Persian.’’

Bold finally looked down at khagan, almost feeling sorry for the man. He for sure would not want to suffer his fate. Not again.

‘’My story didn’t end as I’ve imagined.’’ older man said and smiled sadly ‘’In my vision, my people and I lived a different life.’’

‘’Are you sentimental, khagan of Kimak?’’ Bold asked, hiding his surprise.

‘’I would be lying if I said I wasn’t.’’

‘’You sound like you’re apologizing. Why did you attack us? We were not your enemy.’’

Kutan frowned ‘’Kirghiz are a plague in the plains. Alliance with the Karluks was the opportunity to eliminate them. Not only them, but you as well. You and your people do not belong in the Great Steppe. I still stand by what I said last night. My people and other tribes have lived here for a thousand of years. And then you Persians came. First al Gauti, and now you, o’Ginn.’’

‘’We did not come here to wage war. You forced it on us.’’

‘’Mayhaps.’’ khagan replied shortly and raised his eyes, looking Bold right in the eyes ‘’Know that Kirghiz are not your friends. Especially their ruler, Kotyan. He's a man with no honor.''

''I believe I can recognize a threat when I see one, Kutan.'' Bold explained well aware that Kutan spoke the truth. Kotyan and Ozmush were not his friends, despite their honeyed words.

Kutan then sat down, exhaling when he landed on dirt, leaning on a mud wall ‘’I could use some more rest, if you don’t mind. My destiny won’t go anywhere.’’

Persian khan nodded his head and stood up, walking away. The execution was held in front of khagan’s yurt on the large clearing, where mass gathered to witness the end of Kutan, self-proclaimed khagan of Cumans and the Great Steppe. Bold also ordered khagan’s family to be brought to the execution. As far as he knew, they consisted of a wife and two children, a boy and a girl. For some reason, boy was not present while the girl’s face and shoulders were bruised, her dress was torn, just like her mother’s. Kutan kept a straight face as he faced the execution and the absence of his son who was most probably dead. Two men held him down on the ground. He looked at his people and family for one last time before he leaned forward and bowed his head, revealing neck covered in mud. Unsheathing his sword, Bold approached him and stood at his his side, looking at the neck, estimating on strength of the swing hoping he won’t miss. Was he supposed to say something before carrying on with the sentence?

Bold o’Ginn closed his eyes and took a deep breath, with dozen of thoughts passing through his head. Swinging the sabre with both hands from above, Bold separated khagan’s head from his body and watched as it rolled on earth away from his body, leaving bloody trail which fertilized the soil. He was breathing heavily, for a reason unknown. He has killed a man before, but something about khagan's execution was different. The weight of responsibility almost crushed him. Khagan Kutan of Kimak clan was dead, and Bold was not happy at all. He decided he wanted to leave the scene and settlement as soon as possible. And he could not gather strength to look at khagan’s family. Kutan’s wife and daughter weeped in distance, joined by dozen other Cumans who mourned the death of their leader.

Ordering his men to mount their horses, Bold and his army left the settlement behind them at last, but that ghastly feeling was still inside him. At least the matter was over, for he felt over encumbered

They rode for a whole month until they merged with the army of khagan Kotyan, who was eager to march south into the Karluk territory, to raid and seek the enemy army. Bold respected his decision, although he preffered different approach. Instead of seeking an open battle, Bold would strike right into the heart of the enemy. Allied army didn’t waste any time and had set out towards the south. As it progressed further and further south, terrain changed gradually, becoming more and more hilly until the mountains arose in the southern horizon. Bold knew well that behind those mountains was the infamous Taklamakan desert. Even as a little child, Bold would listen to the stories about the desert from his father. The name Taklamakan alone meant a place of no return. Once you got in, there was no way out, thus one must keep close to the mountains if going through it, as it served as only point of orientation. Even though, the Silk Road passed through the basin, turning it into an area ripe for raiders and bandits. But the Taklamakan basin was not their destination. For the next dozen of days, they rode fast and without rest, not even stopping to eat. Soldiers had to eat, drink and sleep in the saddle. Soon enough, they ventured well into the Karluk territory and have spent good number of days searching for the enemy, avoiding the main Karluk settlement. But for some reason, enemy was nowhere to be found. Khagan Kotyan’s mood was worsening every day, for the man itched for the battle. Bold was no different either.

kurai_steppe1.jpg

Southern steppe, home to the Karluks. Tien Shan mountain range seperated them from the Taklamakan desert.

From the conversation they had back north, Bold learned that the Karluks have been the torn in the Kirghiz’s eye for years. The rivalry between two peoples has been going on for decades, ever since Kotyan’s father ruled the Kirghiz in the east before they were driven out by the Great Liao from the other side of the Altai.

‘’This is outrageous!’’ khagan of the Kirghiz cursed as he emptied his cup of kumis and asked for a refill ‘’There is only one explanation for this, cowards refuse to fight an open battle.’’

Clan leaders of the Persian-Kirghiz alliance sat around the fire discussing their next move. For the first time since they began marching south, they stopped and made an encampment, for the rest was much needed. They established a camp on a high ground overlooking the vast plains to the north and hilly territory to the south. No enemy would be able to approach without them knowing.

‘’Perhaps, my lord khagan.’’ Ozmush-khan added ‘’But they’re not fools.’’

Khagan spat on the ground ‘’Damn cowards, and fools! If they won’t fight me in the open, I will bring the fight to them.’’

‘’You want to raid their main settlement, my lord?’’ Ozmush-khan asked, raising an eyebrow.

Khagan noded and looked at Bold ‘’You’ve been awfully quiet, o’Ginn. Don’t you have a say in the matter?’’

Bold rested his elbows against his knees as he leaned forward, and looked thoughtfully at the weak fire in front of him. On the sound of his name, he raised his head and looked at the khagan ‘’We are in their territory now. They could be in ours. We haven’t seen their army for weeks.’’

‘’If they were in our lands, we’d know it by now.’’ Khagan said confidently ‘’What do you propose we do?’’

‘’Let’s storm the settlement.’’ Bold replied shorty as always.

Khagan smirked ‘’Your shortage of words always amuses me, o’Ginn. Especially when you say more with five words than Ozmush with five sentences.’’

Ozmush-khan rolled his eyes when khagan turned his head away from him, while Kotyan just laughed and asked for a damn refill again, switching to his angry mood again. In the morning they moved out, turning to south-west, towards the last known location of Karluk settlement. Mountains were getting closer and closer. They first rode along the coast of Lake Balkash, expecting to find the settlement there. What they found out was that the coast of the Lake Balkash at least used to be a home to the Karakhanid clan of the Karluks, judging from the lack of grass and the wildlife. Khagan Kotyan ordered for the army to move towards east, because Cuman and Turkish territories lied to the west and south.

What happened in the next few days surprised Bold to the core. They’ve managed to find the Karluk settlement of Karakhanid clan, which was even larger than the one of Kirghiz clan. Khagan Kotyan did not waste any time, ordering the attack to commence. Persian-Kirghiz army sliced through the Karluk settlement like a knife through the butter, killing, pillaging, enslaving. It was a bloody affair. Bold did not find joy in it, not because of the blood, but because of the lack of resistance. There was no glory in this, he will not inspire fear in his enemies because of this. This ensured the lack of casualties at least. They did not rest. They killed, burned, took slaves and left right away towards the north. Bold had to remind his soldiers not to take any slaves, as some of them got accustomed too much to the nomad way of life. He had to remind them who they were and why they were there.

ATf8cd1.png

With their khan and army absent, Karluks of Kharakhanid clan suffered defeat.

By the start of the next year, Bold found himself in the Altai valley, in the settlement of his people. He rested inside of his yurt, alone. Laying on the set of pillows he daydreamed about many things as he stared at the ceiling. His thoughts were the only place where he could be himself. He does not have to look cold, calm, and strong for others in his thoughts. He does not have to be ruthless. He does not have to pretend to be something he hates. But such was the task of the khan. Such was his responsibility to his people and his faith.

‘’I haven’t forgotten the story of our saviour, father.’’ Bold whispered to himself, smiling weakly feeling like a child once again, remembering the story about the Heir of Zoroaster his father told him so many times. A story of a great hero he always wanted to be. He smiled and closed his eyes, seeing his parents Said and Leila and his little sister Ashraf in their homeland, Persia. They looked exactly the same as he remembered them. They were a memory he never wanted to forget.

aX0P74T.png

Last edited:
glad you are back!

Now that is a very interesting conversation, and clearly has given much for Bold to think on.

Now that is a very interesting conversation, and clearly has given much for Bold to think on.

Definitely. Old khagan has given Bold much to think on, and has definitely ''scarred'' Bold in a way, for he was the first man he executed in public.

Chapter 5 - Calm before the storm

May 2nd, 1068

Bold wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. Trying to bring himself up in the sitting position, he grunted from the pain in his back. Ground beneath him was hard and cold, and his eyes were too sensitive to the sunlight that blinded him. Rubbing his eyes, he yawned widely and looked around himself with only his left eye open. A hill he slept on was still the same, just as the tree whose shadow he used to hide from the heat, a shadow which was now on the other side of the tree, meaning that this was not a ‘’quick nap’’ as he predicted it to be. Settlement was no different either. Persians were busy with their usual chores. They herded horses and cattle, made clothes out of wool, dried animal meat and were making cheese which they used as the main source of food on the horseback. Recent days in the Altai valley were hot and dry. Sun had no mercy as it scorched the earth, making work even harder than it was already. Just few days ago, Bold had returned from the meeting of the clans where they traded wool and meats for arrow tips and boiled leather armor, but also felts in various colours used to cover the circular wooden construction of the yurt. He was very happy with his warriors as well. His best rider won three races, losing the longest one only because his horse got slowed down in the last lap.
Bold awarded him with a black mare and a bottle kumis, also called airag, a very little alcoholic and very refreshing drink made by fermenting mare’s milk. Javeed Javeedid on the other hand won the wrestling competition, beating five comptetitors, two of them who represented clans Saur and Kirghiz. Bold presented his general with a masterfully crafted sword he claimed when they sacked the Karluk settlement, ensuring his general's loyalty for the years to come.

Pulling out a blade of grass and sticking it in his mouth, Bold leaned backwards on the tree, recalling on the events of last eighteen or some months, just after the war with the Karluks had concluded, ending in unexpected, but also easy victory for the Persians and the Kirghiz. This was was not the only one that raged in the Great Steppe. In the north, word has spread that the Mongols suffered the wrath of the Great Liao, a vast and expanding nomad empire to the east of the mountain range. Bold had his mind fixated on them for awhile, unable to shake off the thoughts of potential attack. He knew they wouldn't wait for too long.

Last year was good for Persians. An occasional band of Cuman warriors could be spotted trying to steal sheep and horses, but all that remained of them were blackened bones in the plains. Even those thieves had their use. They were stripped of their equipment, although its quality was questionable and they did not have much, probably because they were young warriors with something to prove. Twenty six Cumans tried to steal from Bold over the past year. Twenty six were dead. Bold lost four men in the process, though. Tribe wasn't fighting only on defensive end. Four times, Bold rode out north, stealing cattle and weapons from northern tribes. He avoided Mongol clans Batbayar and Mong, smaller tribes were easier prey. During those raids, he attacked several Khitan parties from the eastern steppe who dared pass through Persian territory.

fhQVIBE.jpg

Meeting of the clans, basically a market used to exchange various goods between the tribes.

He did not want to go back to the settlement, for he knew that Hormuz and Javeed would pressure him once again to find a wife for himself, to visit other clans, and even ask Ozmush-khan for the hand of his daughter. That thought did not please Bold, for he did not want to have a Kirghiz or Saur woman for his wife. Even after so many years in the steppe, Bold learned to distance himself from anyone not Persian. He always saw himself with a Persian woman. Those were plentiful in the settlement downhill, but he did feel the need to bother himself with marriage – yet. Before he even realized, sun was slowly setting on the west and Bold became aware of how much time he wasted on the hill. He stood up and proceeded downhill towards the settlement. The atmosphere in the settlement was different this year, merrier and brighter. On his way through the Persian habitat, men and women greeted him with nods and waves and smiled at him. Children ran past him, using wooden sticks as swords, poking each other. A boy bumped into him as he charged at his enemies with his wooden sword raised high above his head. Bold grinned at the boy who fell on the mud after bouncing back upon bumping, widening his eyes as he recognized the Persian khan. Two dogs played around his legs, but he didn't bother to look at them as he walked past Hormuz’s yurt, remembering that his father’s companion went hunting few days ago, and has not yet returned. Some feared that former leader of the Persians might have gotten himself killed, but Bold knew better. Hormuz was a man hardened by life and struggles, more so than many others. He was a survivor. It’s just a matter of time ‘till he returns.

In his own yurt, in the place of silence and harmony, Bold allowed his thoughts to go wild, and quickly after, he fell asleep, and a new day began in a matter of seconds, for his slumber was deep and long. The very next evening, Bold has gathered his generals and lieutenants to plan the next course of action. Since they enjoyed relative peace, they could afford to leave the settlement for a few days or even two or three months, and ride out to the north to raid once again.

‘’Khanty tribes to the north are divided and weak.’’ Javeed Javeedid, Bold’s right hand and most loyal out of all of his companions said to the group of men gathered around the khan’s table. Hormuz was noticeably absent. Bold was not satisfied.

‘’They are an easy prey.’’ a man named Farzin agreed. Bold remembered him well from the time when he returned to the Persians. Farzin was the first to offend Bold when he claimed the title of khan and also the loudest one. Over time, Bold has come to a conclusion that Farzin himself wasn’t very satisfied with Bold’s leadership, for he enjoyed better position in chain of command when Hormuz was a khan. He used every opportunity to protest if able, and even gathered support of other warriors - who used to follow Hormuz in the past - at times. Those men still stared daggers at Bold when he wasn't looking, and he learned to be cautious around them, removing some of them completely from the chain of command, while lessening the role of others

‘’They live in fear of the clans. They will know how to defend themselves.’’ Bold explained to his men, Farzin included.

‘’That is correct, my lord khan.’’ Javeed said and grinned ‘’But they haven’t fought against us yet. They don’t know us.’’

Bold nodded ‘’That goes both ways. They don’t know us and we don’t know them. We must plan the raid thoroughly, and try to eliminate any possible mistake we might make.’’ He gave Farzin a quick side-eye before the latter could notice, hoping to discover any sign of protest. Man kept his lips sealed. Bold did not like him, and allowed him to keep his position in the army only because Hormuz vouched for him. But instead of general, he was now a simple lieutenant, with ten men under his command.

‘’Aye.’’ Said one of the lieutenants, agreeing with Bold ‘’Aye, aye.’’ confirmed another.

After that, plans were being made on how the army should be divided. How many warriors should ride north and how many should stay. Persian army counted more than five hundred warriors, out of which two thirds were to ride with Bold and Javeed. The rest were to stay and protect the settlement in the case of an enemy attack.

‘’We will ride at fortnight.’’ Bold revealed the final course of action, looking at each and every man gathered at his table ‘’We will leave most of our best equipment with the garrison. Raid may not go as planned, but we cannot risk the safety of the settlement, even in the time of peace. Any questions, my warriors?''

Generals answered with silence, which was an answer good enough for Bold.

‘’Then I wish you good night. You’re dismissed.’’ Bold ordered his men out and they left him without words, in silence. Using this time of peace and quiet, he allowed himself to walk outside, and through the settlement which was ruled by silence and calm of the night. Sentries on the edge of the settlement could still spot the riders in the distance if there were any, even in the darkness of the night. Khan o’Ginn walked towards the edge of the settlement which led deeper into the Altai valley, to the mountains. He stopped at the spot very familiar to him. Suddenly, memories flooded his mind, and he could almost hallucinate the warriors emerging from the valley. Instantly, flashbacks of that fateful night bothered him. The sound of hoofs as Mongol riders emerged from the shadow of the valley, entering this very settlement, beginning the slaughter which almost ended the Persian nation of the steppe. Mongols from the east almost crushed them, but they resisted because al Gauti kept them alive. And just as everything seemed over, Kirghiz of the Obid clan attacked from the south. It was in this attack Bold lost his family. Six years have passed since that event, and Kirghiz of the Obid clan now lay dead, struck down by the very khagan they used to serve before they rebelled. And the Mongols suffered the wrath of the empire of Liao, a constant threat lurking in the east on the other side of the Altai.

pEwsMHs.jpg

Merciless Altai mountains Mongols used to surprise Persians in the attack of 1063

Yet Bold longed for the day when he’d see warriors emerge from the shadow of Altai again. He smiled at the thought deciding it was time to return to the yurt. Although he did not want to, for the air was refreshing as opposed to the scorch during the day the rest was needed after a hard day, and further preparations for the raid of the northern tribes were to be made.

X

Bold’s horse trotted slowly through the Persian settlement, followed by nearly four hundred warriors in saddle. General Javeed Javeedid rode right behind, and Bold did not have to look behind to know that. Hormuz was supposed to be right next to the general, but the man has not returned from the hunt yet, prompting Bold to actually worry about the man. He had already sent searching parties two nights ago, but they’ve yet to confirm anything.

Standing in two separate rows to let riders through the middle, those who were to remain in the settlement bid their goodbyes to family members, fathers, brothers and sons, and those who were to bring back loot from the north. Incoming days were to be spent in the saddle. Bold pulled the reins of his horse and made a first step, and his men slowly followed, making a slow but sure progress through the settlement. Just as they were riding out of the settlement, Bold’s sharp eye noticed the riders galloping towards it from the north. There were five of them. In a second, Bold recognized the sentries, four of them. He couldn’t recognize the fifth horseman. Bold’s curiosity urged him to ride out and greet the man himself, but his pride did not allow him. Perhaps it was one of Kotyan’s or Ozmush’s men?

Bold hid his surprise when he recognized Hormuz in the saddle, sitting straight as he slowed down his horse in front of his khan. His dark beard which covered most of his face has grown longer and his black hair was tied to a ponytail. But nevertheless, he still looked young and no one would guess he was nearing his forties. He bowed his head when he stopped in front of Bold, his face straight and emotionless.

u6Bvx8a.jpg

Hormuz, best friend of Said al Gauti, Bold's father, and one of Bold's most trusted advisors. Also a former khan of Persians.

As a khan, Bold didn't feel the need to speak first, waiting for Hormuz to utter something, who bowed his head ''My lord khan.''

‘’You’re back.’’ Bold announced to the man, expecting to hear the explanation for his long absence ‘’You missed the preparations for the raid.’’

‘’Raid? What raid?’’ Hormuz asked skipping formalities.

‘’We are riding to the north once again. Khanty tribes have many valuables.’’ Bold explained.

Hormuz frowned ‘’There is no time for that. You must turn back.’’

Bold raised an eyebrow, but Javeed Javeedid reacted, approaching Hormuz in his saddle with his sword unsheathed half-way. ‘’Watch your tongue in front of your khan.’’

‘’I ruled while you were still a slave, dog. Lay down your weapon.’’ Hormuz brushed it off, and Bold caught his hand gripping the hilt of his sword tightly.

‘’Enough of this, or both of you will spend the night in the ditch.’’ Bold threatened this time and older men quieted down. Hormuz' face was red of anger ‘’What is so urgent, Hormuz? Explain yourself.’’

‘’It is a Ketuyu clan, Bold.’’ Hormuz explained to his khan, his face turning into an emotionless mask ‘’They’ve crossed into the lands of the Saur.’’ By now, a circle of men has formed around Bold and Hormuz, with two of them sitting on their horses in the middle of it. Upon hearing what Hormuz’s had to say, warriors whispered and commented the surprising news to each other. Bold was not happy. But he did nothing to show it, keeping a straight face.

‘’I see.’’ he said in a low, but stern voice, and turned his horse around to issue a new order, knowing what had to be done ‘’Turn back! Return to your homes! There will be no raid!’’

With his plans ruined and warriors disappointed, Bold rode in direction of his yurt alongside Hormuz and Javeed. Two men were quiet as they rode only a few inches behind him. ‘’You still have a lot of explaining to do, Hormuz. About your absence, and about the Ketuyu.’’

Hormuz nodded his head in obedience. Bold didn't like the look in his eyes, Hormuz was insubordinate at times even when Said led Persians, which caused a rift between two of them in last years. His father's servant didn't let go of the power in Bold's favor easily, and it took some time for him to accept it. Hormuz didn't show it by any means, but Bold felt it.

''They don't like what you've been doing, Bold.'' Hormuz said after some time, still looking at Bold ''Your little raids against them and Mongols have angered them.''

Bold smirked, his irritation slowly being replaced by excitment ''Let them come. It took them long enough.''

Ketuyu clan which was about to attack Ozmush and his tribe lived in the lands to the southwest of Altai valley Persians inhabited, further towards the mountains. Clan was not that powerful by itself, and Bold knew well they wouldn’t attack alone, for the clan served a formidable foe that lurked in the east, on the other side of the Altai mountains.

L8O3A5L.png

Last edited:
I have some confidence that Hormuz will be able to explain himself.

Danger lurks in the east

I have some confidence that Hormuz will be able to explain himself.

Hormuz is a sly dog, he will find his way with words, as usual.

The Mongols are coming once again -- but this time, they face a forewarned foe.

Mayhaps it was my mistake for not making that clear, but those were Khitans that attacked, not the Mongols. Mongols live in the shadow of Liao, but they're not entirely out of the story yet.

Danger lurks in the east

And it lurks on the other side of the mountains, too close for anyone to feel comfortable.

Great updates mate! Finally managed to show up here :D