• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crimea - Arguably the best horde to play, apart from the Timurids. You have a very good starting position, next to Genoa so you can westernise easily once you reformed your government. You should probably conquer your way east, killing other hordes and creating a nice Crimea river

You could almost read right past that pun. I salute you.

Reactions:
I still want a strategy on Chimu or some kind of Let's Play of Chimu, would be fun seeing them survive as a OPM against the Incas. ;)

Since 1.4 it's not even that hard anymore.

Also Kazan , QQ, Manchu and maybe Uzbek are stronger starts than Crimea, though Crimea is quite good too.

Since 1.4 it's not even that hard anymore.

Also Kazan , QQ, Manchu and maybe Uzbek are stronger starts than Crimea, though Crimea is quite good too.

It is possible, but calling it hard is just too much. I've just attempted it and after dozens of reloadings and 136(!) loans i've conquered 4 provinces.

And Crimea starts weaker but it is actually stronger. You can easily ally with the Ottomans and you can easily conquer Georgia and the Golden Horde

It is possible, but calling it hard is just too much. I've just attempted it and after dozens of reloadings and 136(!) loans i've conquered 4 provinces.

And Crimea starts weaker but it is actually stronger. You can easily ally with the Ottomans and you can easily conquer Georgia and the Golden Horde

Actually, I was able to do it with 0 loans as Chimu in 1.4 and 1.5. You mountain bait them over and over again until they run out of manpower, then after they're shattered + out of manpower you chase & wipe. Siege out, take 100%, break truce, vassal. Accept rebel demands, there will be a ton but between your gov't type + generic ideas you'll have low stabcost. Eventually you'll level out and basically be a slower Inca.

Hell, you can CONQUER the Ottomans with Aq Qoyunlu. But Kazan has a gold mine too and can day 0 declare to beat Muscovy. Uzbek and Qing can both stomp around as horde and then take form country decisions w/o culture shifting (Uzbek = Mughal, Manchu = Qing). Timmy will usually ally Kazan too so you have help against backstabs while you ruin Muscovy forever while Manchu just has such an easy path to getting rich enough for +3 advisor spam with Ming so close...if Eastern religions weren't lollerbad they'd seriously be a power start.

Put Tuscany up in the Medium category for Europe

Tuscany: You have a phenomenal starting leader and some of the best Ideas in Italy, Unite Italy, Form a Trading Empire, Humble France and Austria, or form the Mythical Mara Nostrum (Mediterranean Lake) or all the above!, Europe is just waiting to be bought.

I agree with this. Tuscany is extremely fun and has great ideas. You should include it in the medium section.

Wait, a pun? Did I accidentally insert a pun? Where?
Well, Timur in some language means East, so...

I would like to add Majapahit...
Not yet to play as the nation itself, it also has generic ideas but this nation were once united the maritime southeast asia so the goal would probably unite it once again, defeat Ming to the north (which in Majapahit's highest height has some tension with Majapahit in deciding who controls the southeast asian)...

Tibet - the only republic that I know of, outside of Europe. You're huge, but poor and have almost no manpower. Your national ideas are very cute and there's an event to turn into a theocracy. If you turn into one you can expand wildly by annexing vassals, since theocracies do not lose anything while annexing, and with your huge diplomatic reputation you will annex them incredibly fast. Medium difficulty because your neighbors don't like you and because you're a poor Buddhist.
There's no set strategy as Tibet, you can expand in any direction you like, just make sure you Westernize in case the Europeans decide to see the Himalayas.

Hungary is interesting, as a strong medieval power that historically did badly in the EU era (apart from a short period of glory under Matthias Corvinus). They start with a fair number of provinces, but it's mediocre land surrounded by majors who will almost certainly dislike you (tax values seem to be based on what the Hungarian lands were like after centuries of Habsburg-Ottoman wars). On the plus side, their NIs are good, you get some good early monarchs by event (at the cost of upsetting the Habsburgs) and the Eastern tech group is an asset if you want to play an Asian expansion game. I would rate it as 'medium' on the scale you gave.

Last edited:
@All people posting suggestions: I want to keep this list short and to the point. There are currently 55 nations. I will probably want to keep this number. While you can still suggest nations, I recommend you also suggest nations to remove. I consider removing Livonia and Ayutthaya. What do you say?

@All people posting suggestions: I want to keep this list short and to the point. There are currently 55 nations. I will probably want to keep this number. While you can still suggest nations, I recommend you also suggest nations to remove. I consider removing Livonia and Ayutthaya. What do you say?

Livonia doesn't look especially interesting. As for Ayutthaya, all the Buddhist south-east Asian countries are similar except for their starting strength.

Several of the 'very hards' are just picking a doomed OPM for the sake of it. Once you get going (by whatever it takes), they're much like any other random minor that ends up blobbing, and if you use cheese like fleeing to Urbino or the New World, it really doesn't matter who you started as. In fact you could probably have an entry for the 'refugee European OPM'. The exceptions are the ones with an interesting backstory, such as Granada or Byzantium.

In terms of additions, you don't seem to have mentioned any of the North African states. Both Morocco and the Mamluks are interesting medium-hard countries. Also I'd add one entry for 'Colonial Nation' (maybe in place of USA).

Taungu should be added. They formed an relatively big empire IRL, but they are an opm vassal in 1444. They have special NIs (as opposed to most surround countries, save Dai Viet and Ayyutayah.

Ayuthayya and Kochin are pretty tedious; the latter has been made famous by a well known AAR but other than the colour it has nothing going for it. At least Taungu has some flavour and is the spiritual heir to the Ayyehwady Burma kingdom. In almost every game Shan or Bengal come out on top; can you turn the tide from the 1444 start?

Tibet is also a great addition for the reasons mentioned.

Navarra - You're Basque. An ancient culture, dating to pre-roman times. A culture with no brothers, sons and fathers. A language isolate. You have a long history of gender equality and your nation has been ruled by many queens. You're caught in the crossfire between France, Castile and Aragon. Good luck
AARs: NavARRa played by DDR Jake

I love to play as Navara, the challange is what makes it fun, the trick is to ignore Europe, and focus on colonization, once you get a strong colonial empire established use your new found army to regain you cultures lands. The rest of the time have large scale colonial wars to bulk up your empire. It is a fun long fight with lots of risk and rewards, and you are always standing at the edge of bankrupcy and ruin. No other nation allows you to become a world power with so much of a challange and risk.