• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think I found the rootcause for the bug. Factories will only pay workers if they have 7 days worth of input costs as savings. If the maximum savings are too low for this, the factory will simply never pay more than minimum wage even if it makes a profit for years.
I believe I can confirm this. It's a problem for the factories that have really high input costs, particularly Telephone, Radio, Automobile, Tank and Aeroplanes. It can also affect other factories if market prices for their inputs get really high (in the case of Regular Clothes factories with the price of Fabric in my game). It also becomes more of a problem later in the game when throughput gets really high from technology and infrastructure.

To test this out I increased the value of MAX_FACTORY_MONEY_SAVE to 2000 and then reloaded my save. Now all of the above factories are paying their workers appropriately, presumably because they can now actually hold 7 days of expenses in reserve.

EDIT: After further testing it seems a value of 1500 is sufficient for all but the Aeroplane factory. This is likely due to Aeroplanes getting a 50% throughput bonus from local resources compared to the 25% of other factories.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I believe I can confirm this. It's a problem for the factories that have really high input costs, particularly Telephone, Radio, Automobile, Tank and Aeroplanes. It can also affect other factories if market prices for their inputs get really high (in the case of Regular Clothes factories with the price of Fabric in my game). It also becomes more of a problem later in the game when throughput gets really high from technology and infrastructure.
I have just tried raising the value of MAX_FACTORY_MONEY_SAVE from 1000 to 1500 and it worked! A Steamer factory that was making a big profit (+150, size 5, half full of employees) but did not pay its workers just started paying them after I changed MAX_FACTORY_MONEY_SAVE.

Do you know what has the largest input cost?

Our beloved Clippers, at a base cost of 411, which makes them unprofitable to produce at their base cost in vanilla. Second are Steamers but not nearly as bad as Clippers.