• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7.11.5 - May 1015 York
May 1015 York

Crístina took the message from her lady in waiting and thanked her. The lady curtsied and left leaving the queen sitting in the chair in the queen’s chambers. Across from her sat Eadhild, the Queen Mother. Eadhild looked at Crístina expectantly.

Seeing Eadhild’s reaction Crístina said, “It is not what we were waiting for. I do believe it is too early for that.”

RgJryfY.png

Disappointed Eadhild said, “Well what does it say?”

Crístina smiled at Eadhild impatience. The queen opened the message and said, “It is from Duke Emrys. He tells of how raiders from Kola lead by a Chief Grimr landed in Dyfed. Mayor Drystan of Caersws lead an army from Deheubarth and defeated this Grimr at St Davids on March 29th. Apparently Grimr was struck in the head by a mace and had to be carried from the battlefield and his raiders fled from Dyfed.”

O4HF64j.png

After a few moments of silence Eadhild said, “I hear that my son has found a cat.”

Crístina laughed, “At first I could not believe it. But I must admit that the thing is cute and in a short time has had a positive effect on Rædwald.”

3FgxjrD.png

Still in disbelief Eadhild asked, “How is that?”

Crístina who was becoming a believer replied, “He is calmer and not as angry as he has been. The cat takes up his time, and he forgets his troubles for a time. Some people say a cat is lucky.”

Eadhild nodded and said, “Then that is good, and I hope it is truly lucky.”

Crístina reached onto the table next to her and poured herself a cup of wine. She offered some to Eadhild wo refused. Crístina asked, “Have you heard from Hlothere?”

Eadhild nodded, “Yes a message reached me a few days ago. His baby daughter Agatha is now considered healthy and there are no lingering effects of her poor health as a newborn.”

Eadhild became all smiles, “Hlothere and Tiburge have had another son.”

Crístina was surprised as she had not heard about Tiburge being pregnant. Communications being the way they were, everyone locked away in their keeps it was expected. She asked, “What did they name the baby?”

Eadhild the proud grandmother replied, “It is a boy and they named him Hlothere.”

42czl2Q.png

Crístina nodded, “That is good, named for his father.”

Crístina had heard distressing news about Prince Hlothere but unable to confirm it, so she thought this was a good time to ask his mother, “I have heard that the senior Hlothere has become inflicted with a sickness. Is that true?”

Eadhild paused and then shook her head, “I am afraid so Hlothere has the Lover’s Pox. It seems that he was bedding a couple of the maid servants.”

Crístina seemed surprised, “Maidservants?”

Eadhild replied casually, “There is no surprise there. King Eilif did the same. He would say through the maid’s pillow talk he learned a great deal about the happenings in the keep that his counselors did not tell him.”

Crístina shook her head, “Shameful.”

Eadhild laughed, “Do not be surprised if someday your husband does not indulge himself. It is in his blood.”

Crístina looked at the wine in her cup and suddenly became withdrawn and silent. Eadhild looked at her with concern and asked, “Has something already happened?”

Knowing his father’s and mother’s histories when it came to lovers, Rædwald having an affair was something she greatly feared. Thus far he had not shown any tendencies to follow in his father’s footsteps until recently.

Still looking down at her cup Crístina replied, “Wulfwaru said that she caught Rædwald with the cook. He denied anything occurred. He blamed Wulfwaru saying she was creating stories to get even with him for punishing her for some offense she did.”

cbqyFtW.png
XglxJzK.png

Eadhild reached over and held Crístina’s hands and asked, “Do you believe him?”

Crístina tried to smile but doubt now ate at her, “Given it was Wulfwaru telling the tale and knowing she and Rædwald have not been on good terms I am inclined to believe him.”

Eadhild released Crístina’s hands and sat back, “Then that settles the matter.”

Not entirely convinced Crístina took a deep breath and then looked at Eadhild, “Have any news reached you Swæfræd?”

Now it was Eadhild who became withdrawn and concern filled here face. “He has closed the gates of his keep. I am concerned with the persistent rumors saying his keep was not properly provisioned before the gates were shut. If the illness lasts for a long time his court and he will run out of food.”

Eadhild had touched on something that worried Crístina constantly, “I pray that we have enough food to outlast the sickness.”

Eadhild nodded, “I do also.”

Crístina took a couple sips of wine and said, “We have heard that Countess Mildrith of Gloucester is suffering from fatigue. There is concern that she may succumb to camp fever like her father, Prince Sigfrið.”

Eadhild sighed, “Let us pray that does not happen. I heard the war for Wiltshire, her father began, goes poorly for her.”

Grimly Crístina said, “Yes it does. King Diogo III of Galicia is aiding King Ælfgar and with the Galician troops involved they are overwhelming the Gloucesterian forces.”

Eadhild shook her head, “Such a pity.”

Crístina smiled, “Some good tidings from France, Princess Bodil has fully recovered from her bout of camp fever.”

Eadhild smiled, “That is indeed good news.”

Crístina turned somber and asked, “How does your granddaughter Ecgfrida fare?”

Eadhild closed her eyes like she was in pain and then opened them, “It is very difficult to see someone so young suffer from consumption. Hope her youth will provide her the strength to defeat the illness.”

Crístina looked down at her lap and asked, “Does Swæfræd know of his daughter’s fate?”

Eadhild shrugged her shoulders, “I know not. A message was sent but no reply has been received.”

Crístina took another deep breath and finished her cup of wine, “In truth I do not concern myself overly with Swæfræd. His affairs are nothing but an almost comical distraction. The brother I worry about is Hjalmar.”

Eadhild only knew a few details of the deteriorating relationship between her sons and the son of Ingrid of Chester, “Why does he trouble you so?”

Crístina refilled her cup and drank half of it in one gulp, “Hjalmar has declared a faction to make himself king. On most days I would laugh alongside my husband about such action. Now with us locked up here…” the arm and hand not holding the cup swept about her and the room “… Hjalmar chastises us for abandoning the people. He states that he has not secluded himself away. Now Rædwald’s cousin and a man Rædwald appointed an earl and commander of his armies, Sumarliði supports Hjalmar’s faction.”

Eadhild folded her hands in her lap and said in a matter of fact voice, “Something needs to be done about both of them.”

Surprised by Eadhild’s tone Crístina looked at the woman and remembered the rumors of her involvement with the untimely death of Þegen Hereberht of Warwick who had threatened the lives of Rædwald and Hlothere. Crístina made a mental note to not get on Eadhild’s bad side and discuss the rumors with her husband someday.

Just at that moment a knock came on the door. A lady in waiting answered and then walked to the queen. She curtsied, and said, “Milady the Court Physician is here.”

The faces on both ladies lit up and both almost leapt out of their seats.

Recovering quickly and business like Crístina replied, “Show him in.”

The lady in waiting bowed and left. A moment later Beorhthelm stood before them. He bowed in a very humbling manner spoke, “My ladies.”

Anxious but trying not to show it Crístina responded, “Yes Lord Physician.”

Beorhthelm smiled, “The king has come through the treatment and is in good health. You may see him if you wish.”

Both women smiled and Crístina replied, “Where is he?”

Beorhthelm continued smiling and answered, “Here of course.”

Beorhthelm stepped aside and Rædwald stepped between him and the queen and his mother. Crístina looked at her husband and was amazed by how well the king looked. She thought he had a glow about him.

Seeing he was no longer needed Beorhthelm said, “By your leave.”

Crístina nodded and Beorhthelm bowed and left the chamber. Once the physician was gone Crístina now leapt out of the chair and hugged Rædwald.

Crístina let him go and he walked to his mother. He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Eadhild asked, “How do you feel?”

Rædwald stood straight and with a big smile he replied, “Like a changed man.”

Crístina still concerned for his health lead him to a chair and he sat down. The queen returned to her chair. “Wine?” she asked lifting the pitcher.

He smiled at her and responded, “Yes please.”

Crístina poured the wine and handed him the cup.

“Thank you my darling,” he said as he took the cup.

Crístina looked at Eadhild who was sitting wide eyed. Rædwald was being unusually polite.

Full of curiosity Crístina asked, “Can you tell us what happened?”

The king took several sips and then rested the cup in his lap with both his hands. His face had a bewildered look for a moment and then it became the face of someone very content.

He began, “I was brought into my bed chambers and made to lay on the bed. A pot was placed in my hand. And do know what was in the pot?”

Crístina was so anxious she blurted out, “No what?”

Rædwald smiled and replied, “A poor terrified rat. The thing was running around in the pot trying to escape and squeaking. I was told to hold the pot on my chest. Beorhthelm said the rat would carry my burdens in my stead.”

Crístina and Eadhild looked at one another thinking the whole thing was crazy.

The king did not notice them and continued, “Some of his assistants closed the curtains making the room dark. Others lit candles. Then everyone started chanting. I do not know for how long. I don’t know if I fell asleep or in a trance. As I laid there I could feel my burdens being lifted. When I woke or became aware once again I never felt better.”

44iz5bH.png
FRATEXo.png

He suddenly coughed. Crístina was ready to jump out of the chair and Eadhild was full of fear. Rædwald raised his hand. “Look it is over.” And the cough was.

He smiled trying to reassure them. “Beorhthelm said that due to the damage previously done to my body I may always have a cough, but over time it will get less and less.”

Eadhild was not convinced and said, “I hope so.” Crístina’s face showed her doubts.

Rædwald finished his wine and an odd look came over his face, “Hlothere and Ealdmund have been asking me to release Leofweald and Hrolfr for some time. Now may be the time I took them up on their offers.”

Crístina almost shook her head. She had never thought Rædwald would ever forgive those two. After Maria and Anlaufr he held them most responsible for the failed revolt many years ago.

Confused she looked at Rædwald and said, “I thought you said you would never let them see the light of day again.”

Rædwald smiled and reached over and placed his hands on Crístina’s hands resting in her lap, “Those were words spoken in the passion of the moment and a very long time ago. If our Lord could forgive his executioners, then should I not forgive them?”

MbwPB7O.png
ECwRdkD.png

Crístina and Eadhild were stunned into silence. They were both wondering what had come over the king and if it was a good thing.

Rædwald stood and straightened his clothing. He held his hand out to help Crístina stand. Once the confused queen was standing he turned and helped his mother to stand. Both women were concerned.

He then said, “I am hungry. Let’s see what the cook has prepared for dinner.”

With that he lead them from the chamber.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Cats are just tiny furry ninjas! Beware the furry ninjas! BEWARE THE FURRY NINJAS!
They also drink your milk when you are not watching the tiny little milk robbers. :mad:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, that's certainly better than the last treatment! But he's still not technically cured? I forget if that actually cures the illness or just gives successful treatment.

The realm is in for a bit of a surprise going forward though!

Reactions:
Well, that is interesting. For the better? We will have to wait and see.

Reactions:
Cats are just tiny furry ninjas! Beware the furry ninjas! BEWARE THE FURRY NINJAS!
They also drink your milk when you are not watching the tiny little milk robbers. :mad:

And steal your heart. :D

Well, that's certainly better than the last treatment! But he's still not technically cured? I forget if that actually cures the illness or just gives successful treatment.

The realm is in for a bit of a surprise going forward though!

No he was not cured. The traits threw me a curve ball with the lunatic trait. A kind madman hmmm.

Well, that is interesting. For the better? We will have to wait and see.

I will say being better is open to debate but it is interesting.

Next chapter is done. I need to do the final read over and make any necessary corrections. (Not trusting Google Docs for spelling:oops:) For this I am switching up the characters and we are going to see from the other side.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.12.1 - January 1016 English Siege Lines Outside of Dumbarton, County of Clydesdale
Chapter 7.12

January 1016 English Siege Lines Outside of Dumbarton, County of Clydesdale

A light snow was falling as the sun set behind the hills near Dumbarton. The siege engines continued their relentless bombardment of the walls of the city. The English soldiers and their Galician allies moved about their encampment with little worry. The small Scottish garrison that held the city had a small number of catapult and trebuchets and few they had did not have the range to reach the English lines.

As the snow fell the commanders of the two armies ate dinner together in the tent of Ealdmund Osheresson, brother to King Ælfgar of England and heir to the throne of England. Prince Monio, Bishop of Astorga and brother of King Diogo III of Galicia sat across the table from Ealdmund. The prince pushed his plate away from as he was finished with the meal. He took the mug of warm ale and drank heartily from it. Ealdmund sipped his ale as a servant removed his plate from the table.

jRnFNbp.png
iYkQXEj.png

Monio tipped his mug to Ealdmund and said, “Another fine meal, brother-in-law.”

Ealdmund, who was married to Monio’s sister Margarida, returned the toast and said, “I will pass your compliments onto my cook.”

Monio finished his ale and waited as a servant refilled his mug. The prince looked outside the tent and said, “Snow it takes some getting used to.”

Ealdmund smiled and asked, “You do not see snow in Galicia?”

Monio took a drink and replied, “No not in Coruña or Astorga. One has to travel toward Navarra and the Pyrenees Mountains before you see snow. Until coming here I have only see it a half dozen times in the distance. This is the first place I have been in it. I do say it can be quite peaceful and beautiful.”

Ealdmund snickered, “In war it can be a blessing or a curse. It can freeze and delay your enemy, but it can turn about and do the same to you.”

Monio chuckled, “I shall remember that.” He took another long draught of ale and asked, “Do you think that the snow will have any impact on the diseases running rampant to the south.”

Ealdmund finished his ale and had the servant refill his mug which he placed on the table before him, “I doubt it. People may stay indoors but the snow will do little to stop the sickness.”

Monio smirked, “It is good that it has stricken your enemy, Jorvik.”

Ealdmund grimaced. He did not care for the arrogance Monio often displayed and to Ealdmund this was another example. Epidemics are terrible even if it is your enemy and taking delight in anyone suffering from one was an affront to Ealdmund. To Ealdmund the number of counties enduring the epidemics was staggering. Consumption in Northumbria, Cumberland, Durham, York, Westmorland, Amounderness, Derby, Leicester, Lindsey, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Northampton. Camp fever raged in Gloucester, Hereford, Powys, Perfeddwlad, Shropshire, Gwent, Warwick, and Oxford. What was happening in Chester and Warwick was beyond anything Ealdmund could imagine as the counties suffered from both consumption and camp fever.

Ealdmund responded, “Epidemics are something I wish not upon anyone even my enemies. They kill indiscriminately, husband, wife; mother, father; son, daughter; friend or foe.” He glared at Monio, “You are aware consumption is in the Scottish county of Gowrie and our county of Dunbar and camp fever rages in the English counties of Wiltshire and Dorset?”

Taken back by Ealdmund’s reaction Monio replied sheepishly, “Yes?”

Ealdmund seemed as if he did hear Monio and continued, “Cornwall and Devon are held in the terrible grasp of camp fever. The Petty Kingdom of Cornwall has lost King Guethenoc and his 12-year-old daughter Gwenn now reigns.”

dNiorjH.png

Desperately trying to save face Monio said, “I meant no disrespect. I was only commenting the epidemics weaken Jorvik.”

Ealdmund knew he needed to defuse the moment. Whether he liked it or not he needed the Galician troops Monio lead. He knew he must set aside his dislike of the Galician nobles and their haughtiness. “No offense taken. Epidemics should never be considered an ally. They are God’s way of humbling us all.”

Grasping for a favorable change in topic Monio said, “Is it true that Earl Sumarliði of Hereford has died under suspicious circumstances?”

t9Icyul.png

For Ealdmund this was good news. Sumarliði as a commander had plagued the English. On numerous occasions he outmaneuvered and defeated the English army. He had become Rædwald’s most dependable general. It would take Rædwald some time to find another like him.

Ealdmund finished his ale and nodded. He motioned for more ale and a servant filled the mug one more time. Monio took the time to have his mug refilled.

Ealdmund replied, “Yes. He was found in his bed one morning. Rumors say he was poisoned or bit by some venomous creature while he slept.”

Monio rubbed his chin and then took a sip of ale, “That is interesting. Word has reached us that Rædwald recently had taken a strong interest in poisons.”

1CLRY1R.png

Ealdmund raised an eyebrow. That information had not reached his brother or him. He would have to make an inquiry next time he spoke with the spymaster and question why the Galicians knew this before he did.

“That is very interesting.” Ealdmund chuckled, “Or perhaps it was his mother. You know what was said about her when someone threatened her sons.”

Monio chuckled. He knew of the story regarding the death of Þegen Hereberht.

Monio asked, “Have you heard the latest about the king’s brother Earl Swæfræd of Gwent?”

Ealdmund took a sip of ale, “No. Has he sired another bastard?”

Monio sipped some ale and smirked, “No it would be hard for him to do so locked away in his keep. However, it is rumored that they ran out of food and resorted to cannibalism and Bishop Sæxbald of Monmouth was the meal?”

vw7rYOP.png

Ealdmund was truly shocked at the news and unnerved by Monio’s lack of emotion at the telling the tale and found himself unconsciously finishing his mug of ale. “Dear God, I hope that is not true.”

Monio did not notice Ealdmund’s reaction and finished his ale. He placed the cup in his lap and when the servant came to fill it he motioned them off. Monio smirked and said, “Now that our troops have returned from defeating that little girl in Gloucester we have a bigger advantage here.”

Ealdmund shook his head. He could not wait until the need for Monio was done. Ealdmund said, “The little girl as you called her is Countess Mildrith of Gloucester. Her father was Earl Sigfrið, brother of King Rædwald. Sigfrið was a very good commander but in madness he declared the Claim War for Wiltshire. A war that under normal circumstances we would easily prove victorious but with our armies elsewhere it is difficult.”

Monio confused by Ealdmund’s reaction and thinking the English commander was referring to the English troops fighting in Aragon, “My brother King Diogo is eternally grateful for the aid you have given us against the heathen Duke Alvar of Gascoigne in our holy mission to free Aragon from the Muslims.”

Ealdmund took a drink of ale so he did not have to respond right away. Ealdmund knew the holy war had been underway for almost 10 years and had been a stalemate until Sultan Abbas of the Umayyad Sultanate had joined Alvar. Since then the war had been going badly for Galicia and even the influx of English troops did little to stem the inevitable outcome. King Ælfgar was lucky to escape Iberia with his life.

Ealdmund replied, “You understand our dilemma and frustration. With our troops in Iberia others have tried to take advantage of the situation such as those from Gloucester and now this Irish uprising in Tuadhmhumhain. I know you have the same feelings.”

Monio eyes flashed with anger, “You speak of your father and his host who are trying to seize the crown of Galicia.”

Ealdmund reacted as if in pain. His father had become a pariah since launching his adventure over two years ago. Too everyone’s surprise Prince Oshere met with early success but in the last six months as more Galician troops were removed from Aragon the tide had turned.

Ealdmund responded, “Prince Oshere is no longer considered my father. He is nothing to me.”

Monio nodded and requested his mug to be refilled. A servant quickly did so. “I thank you for your reassurance regarding Oshere. Now that we have more troops here we can attack the Scottish army.”

Ealdmund shook his head, “Not at this time. We need more troops and King Ælfgar has decreed that Clydesdale must be recaptured.”

Monio was unconvinced, “Why would we need more troops. We outnumber the Scottish.”

Ealdmund placed his mug down and said, “It is not the Scottish that I fear but those who fight with them.”

Monio now understood, “Ah, the Tarans. Until I faced them I had never known the Irish could fight that well.”

Ealdmund grinned. They bloodied your levies when you underestimated them. He said, “They are the soldiers of Queen Crístina of Mide, the wife of Rædwald. They are equipped and trained by the Jorvikians. I for one do not want to meet them unprepared.”

Monio thought for a moment and asked, “Why have we not seen them in some time?”

Ealdmund chuckled as he realized Monio truly did not know, “Their queen has been busy having a baby. She gave Rædwald a daughter named Ælfthryth on Christmas Eve.”

az9UI0y.png

Monio nodded and finished his ale. He was beginning to feel the effects of the ale and knew he needed to return to his tent and bed. He looked at Ealdmund and said, “I have enjoyed our evening, but I must retire.”

Monio stood as did Ealdmund. Ealdmund said, “I understand, and I will see you in the morning.”

Monio bowed and left the tent.

Ealdmund stood watching Monio disappear in the snowfall wondering if it the alliance with the King of Galicia was a prudent act or a foolish one. He was concerned over how many wars Diogo would embroil England in, where the English levies would pay the butcher’s bill while the Galicians reaped the rewards.

A devilish grin came across Ealdmund and he thought, perhaps this is the time to return the favor.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Yikes Swæfræd - talk about being the black sheep in the family or whatnot.

Reactions:
So England set to drag Galacia into some trouble of their own?

Remember when bastards was the biggest problem with Swæfræd? Also if there are women in the keep he's holed up in, there is certainly the possibility of bastards, as well as cannibalism!

The last sentence... brought to you by CK2!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Good to see the king cured for a while though I worry what will happen when the mystic remedy wears off...

Monio took a drink and replied, “No not in Coruña or Astorga. One has to travel toward Navarra and the Pyrenees Mountains before you see snow.
Not strictly true-there can be snow in parts of Galicia. It is far enough north in Spain and average temps in Dec/Jan are 3ºc plenty low enough for snow

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yikes Swæfræd - talk about being the black sheep in the family or whatnot.

Just when you thought you saw it all.

So England set to drag Galacia into some trouble of their own?

Remember when bastards was the biggest problem with Swæfræd? Also if there are women in the keep he's holed up in, there is certainly the possibility of bastards, as well as cannibalism!

The last sentence... brought to you by CK2!

I have been waiting for a bastard or two. Now he has gone down a different path.

Good to see the king cured for a while though I worry what will happen when the mystic remedy wears off...

I am waiting to see if he loses all the traits at once or one at a time.

I am working on the next chapter but I have been distracted. I was running out of played game so I have been playing forward some. I was down to about 4 years and like to be closer to 6 to 10. The chapter is mostly done but needs some refinement. I hope to post it in a day or two.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.12.2 - September 1016 York
September 1016 York

Rædwald crossed the courtyard stepping through the fallen leaves, branches, and weeds. With the keep closed off from the rest of the world upkeep of the gardens within the courtyard was nonexistent and they had grown wild and unkept through the summer. The clear and refreshing fountains were cold and silent. No pumps running, no water for them.

In days past the king would come to the courtyard to enjoy its beauty and peacefulness. Now he came here mostly out of habit or at least in the beginning that was the reason. Now he came to find another seated amongst the chaos.

Rædwald entered the center square of the courtyard and passed the dormant fountain, his heart sinking some as he viewed its forlorn state. His mood quickly reversed for on the bench he found the person he sought. Kraka was his cousin, her father was Thurfrith, son of Count Ragnarr the Seducer of Westmorland and brother to Rædwald’s mother. Her mother was Maria Ingemarsdottir who was one of his father’s lovers and the only one he never sired a child with.

With his brother Hlothere in seclusion within his distant keep at Anglesey Rædwald had lost the person he could speak freely and honestly with and the one person who did not hesitate to speak frankly to him. At one time his wife Crístina had filled that roll but since the birth of their daughter, Ælfthryth, her days were filled with the infant care and wellbeing. Emrys and Ealdmund, his other trusted advisors were also in their keeps waiting out the epidemics that plagued the land.

Lonely and wondering the now too familiar hallways of the keep Rædwald began to seek solace in the courtyard. Even in its twisted and disheveled state it was alive unlike the cold inert walls of the keep. During one of her own strolls in the courtyard Kraka was drawn to the king. She saw within his dire need of a companion to trust and converse with. Taking the initiative Kraka introduced herself to him. At first his shyness held Rædwald back but soon his overwhelming need for a confidant and friend to speak with overcame any reservations. As the days of summer slipped into fall Rædwald felt more and more comfortable with Kraka. He felt lost if he did not have his daily chat with Kraka and began to count her a good friend.

dC480hl.png
hr12M8J.png

Kraka Thurfrithsdottir looked up at the king from the bench from which she rested. She gave an approving smile as the king sat down next to her. She turned to him and took his hands in her hands and brought them to rest in his lap.

She asked, “How do you fare this day?”

Rædwald smiled, “Today is a good day.”

Kraka returned his smile and said, “That is good, very good.”

Rædwald asked, “How do you fare?”

Kraka chuckled, “I feel well for my age. Thou my joints do feel the coming winter.”

Rædwald laughed, “Your age. You are not much older than I.”

Kraka joined him in his laughter, “You need to learn to lie better. I am 20 years your senior.”

With that she released his hands and placed her hands in her lap. After the laughter died Kraka looked at Rædwald and asked, “I have been meaning to ask you how does Bishop Wulfgar fare? I have not seen him for some time.”

Rædwald looked down at his feet and became very somber. “I am sorry to say he is not well and his time with us grows short.”

Kraka regretted asking now. However, she could see there was more and asked, “The Great Pox?”

Rædwald was surprised, “You knew of his infliction?”

Kraka nodded, “I have heard of his indiscretions over the years. I witnessed the effects of the Great Pox on my Uncle Gunnarr Ingemarsson many years ago.”

Rædwald kicked a pebble at his feet and replied, “I am afraid it is getting worse for him. His mind is going as is his body. He can barely get out of bed these days and cannot keep food down. Beorhthelm gives him another month or month and a half to live.”

Kraka sighed and said, “I shall pray for him.”

vcEpCMv.png

Rædwald looked up and stared at the derelict fountain and said, “Death is all about us these days. Deaths in far off places now causes us great concerns.”

Confused Kraka looked at the king, “How may that be?”

Rædwald looked at her and replied, “The death of King Renaud of France in July terminated our alliance with France. His son and successor King Nicolas II refuses to discuss renewing the alliance. I am not sure if he is friend or foe currently. With Mayor Strula locked away in his manor I have no experienced person to send to Paris for an audience and to conduct an evaluation of the situation.”

HN0xkcj.png
HRhf5xg.png

Kraka nodded and responded, “Long have we been able to rely on France as a friend.”

Rædwald only nodded. To Kraka he seemed distant and lost. She knew she had to try something to change from the dark subjects they had discussed.

She said, “Even in these dark times there are new lives and births to bring us joy and hope. Your daughter for one. And did you not tell me that your sister Judith gave birth to twin girls named Beorthtwynn and Leofrun? I am sure Judith and her husband Æthelweald Eagarsson who is Court Chaplin of Northampton are happy and proud”

0j9E5VR.png
2krXgqa.png

YqiA7sa.png
s0DyFQ8.png

Rædwald smiled. He was glad Kraka was here and could raise his spirits some in these dark times.

He replied, “Yes, I did, and I am impressed you remembered all the details.”

Kraka chuckled and patted Rædwald on the shoulder, “I had a good teacher.”

Rædwald’s cheeks redden slightly at her praise. He knew that he could surprise her with some more news of babies.

“Bodil and her husband have celebrated the birth of a daughter they have named Berthe last month.”

xZdxeKK.png
5dH5HCf.png
voCMCrn.png

Kraka grinned and said, “See so there is some good news from France after all.”

Rædwald chuckled and said, “Did you know that Sigismond Welf, Bodil’s husband, is currently the heir to the French throne?”

Kraka nodded and replied, “No I did not. How is that so?”

Rædwald always enjoyed when he could talk about families and how people were related. He responded, “Just as King Nicolas II, he is the grandson of King Nicolas I. I suspect that he will not be heir for long as I am sure Nicolas will have a son someday. In France, only males can inherit the crown.”

They both fell silent and looked out into the tangled plants of the garden. Kraka notice a change in Rædwald. He seemed uncomfortable again and troubled. Truly concerned she placed her hand on his upper arm and asked, “Have you had the dream again?”

Rædwald took a deep breath and looked to the grey fall sky and then at Kraka, “Yes it occurs almost every night. I am in the center of the city and there is death and suffering all around me. People in rags and covered in sores are crawling toward me calling my name. They say that I know how to end the suffering. I must protect her no longer. They reach for me and claw at my legs. It is then I awaken.”

zVm2W3x.png

Rædwald placed his hands in his lap clasped together. Kraka reached over and laid her hands atop his and said, “Do you know who you are protecting in the dream?”

Rædwald looked down and replied, “I do not know.”

Kraka thought for a moment and then asked, “Is there anyone you are protecting now?”

Rædwald looked at her and answered, “Why, I am protecting my family and all of my court such as yourself. That is why I have shut the gates.”

Kraka looked deeply into his eyes and said, “Perhaps that was the wrong thing to do. Maybe you are being directed to open the gates.”

Rædwald pulled his hands away and terror seemed cross his face, “I cannot do such. That would let the illness within and harm those I love.”

Kraka lowered her head and shook it. This was not the first she had suggested opening the gates. Every time she had done so the reaction had been the same. The more Rædwald had these dreams the more she felt she was right.

Rædwald stood and faced her and said, “At least I am not like my brother Hjalmar. He accused some innocent girl of causing the sickness and burned her at the stake as a witch.”

A39vwgk.png

Kraka looked up and him and reached for his hands. She grasped them and said, “No, you are not your brother and I would never accuse you of being.”

Rædwald relaxed and said, “Yes, I know you would not.”

Still holding his hands and smiling, Kraka guided him to back to his seat. Rædwald did not resist her.

After seating him she released his hands. She said, “You have done well for the kingdom. Despite the epidemics the last five years has been a time of peace and prosperity for the realm.”

Rædwald sat silent. At first, he thought that she was trying to humor him but then he came to the realization that she was correct.

bSuQ139.png

Seeing that he his mood was changing she thought to continue the progress and asked, “Do you have any idea who you will appoint as Court Chaplin?”

Rædwald thought for a few moments as he ran names through his mind. Once he settled on one he said, “I will ask Beorhthelm, the Court Physician. He is a monk.”

Kraka smiled with approval and replied, “That would be an excellent choose.”

Rædwald was pleased that Kraka approved of his selection. He thought this might be a good time to tell her of another plan he had devised. “I have thought that given my brother Hjalmar’s action and outright disloyalty I am considering spying on him.”

HmUY6bK.png

His plan was confusing to her and she asked, “What would you accomplish spying on your brother?”

Rædwald enjoyed explaining a scheme when he had one. “I could discover how disloyal he truly is. Once I have gathered proof I could arrest him.”

Kraka now understood but the possibilities worried her, “What if he resists arrest and raises a revolt?’

Rædwald smiled, “If he does he plays right into my hands. I will crush him and then strip him of his titles and no one will raise an objection.”

Kraka smiled hiding her concerns. “It sounds like a good plan.”

Rædwald was very proud of himself.

The two friends stayed in the courtyard most of the afternoon discussing all manner of things.

• 1Love
Reactions:
It is intriguing how, despite his temporary ‘cure’, the king flirts at the edge of madness. The dreams a harbinger of worse to come for sure.

A nice and rather touching scene between king and friend. Ruling is a lonely business so you need all you can get.

Small correction:
Rædwald was surprised, “You knew of his infliction?”
the word you’re looking for here is affliction :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Rædwald is the lunatic, yet his brothers devour people and burn others at the stake. The royal line has seen saner days to be sure.

Reactions:
It makes it all almost seem humdrum and day to day. Almost.

Reactions:
It is intriguing how, despite his temporary ‘cure’, the king flirts at the edge of madness. The dreams a harbinger of worse to come for sure.

A nice and rather touching scene between king and friend. Ruling is a lonely business so you need all you can get.

Small correction:
the word you’re looking for here is affliction :p

Thanks. Ruling is lonely especially when you close yourself off from the rest of the world.

Rædwald is the lunatic, yet his brothers devour people and burn others at the stake. The royal line has seen saner days to be sure.

Don't you love that.

It makes it all almost seem humdrum and day to day. Almost.

What else is there when you are locked up in your keep?

Writing the seclusion chapters are tough since there is not a great deal of exciting things happening.

Working on the next few chapters. The next one is close to being ready. I have to go over it again. The chapter after that is driving me nuts. It is written but I am not happy with it and may look at a major rewrite. Beyond that I am having some writers block. I need to fill in some space between now and a major event.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.12.3 - March 1017 York
March 1017 York

A refreshing breeze blew across the city and the ramparts of the keep bringing the fresh smells of spring quelling the stench of a city still full of death and sickness. With fewer new cases of the illness occurring there was hope the worst of the epidemic was over. More and more of the afflicted were showing signs of improvement.

Crístina stood on the ramparts above the main gate watching the ebb and flow of traffic in and out of the keep now that the gates had been opened by order of the king several days prior. With the gates open Crístina could once again walk and stand on the ramparts and walls of the keep. The threat of being targeted by the angry crowd that had gathered at the base of the wall during the time the keep was sealed.

As Crístina breathed in the air that seemed to be fresher and sweeter now that the keep was opened she noticed Princess Wulfwaru, the oldest royal child approaching her. Upon reaching the queen Wulfwaru said “Greetings, mother.”

Crístina turned and smiled at her daughter and replied, “A good day for a stroll is it not?”

Wulfwaru looked out over the ramparts, “Yes it finally is now that father came to his senses and opened the gates. I was growing tired of being hungry all the time.”

CqC0ja1.png
ELCy5Wp.png

Crístina gazed out into city, “We all did.”

Wulfwaru made a face like she was going to vomit and said, “I never ever, ever want to eat rat again. I still cannot believe that I did so.”

Lz6iiN5.png

Crístina turned a little green around the edges as she remembers the meals from only a few nights ago. Without thought she said, “There are worse things than rats.”

Wulfwaru looked at her mother in disgust but it was not directed at her. “You mean like Uncle Swæfræd?”

Crístina released her mistake as this was a subject she truly wanted to avoid, and she just nodded in response. Also, being uncomfortable with the matter, Wulfwaru let the subject drop.

Wulfwaru looked at her mother and asked, “Did you make father open the gates?”

Crístina sighed and leaned on the rampart, “No I did not. It was your uncle Prince Hjalmar who brought about the decision.”

Wulfwaru looked confused and responded, “Do you mean all it took was father finding out Hjalmar slandered him to get the gates open.”

Crístina looked at Wulfwaru, “It is not just that simple. Long has Hjalmar plotted against your father by joining factions. In times of war he has held back much of his levies. This charge of slander gives your father, the king, an opportunity to arrest Hjalmar. Once arrested the king can strip Hjalmar of his titles.”

RL6kxVB.png

Wulfwaru nodded. She could see the wisdom in such action. “The detail that left here about an hour ago is going to try to arrest Hjalmar?”

Crístina nodded, “Yes they are.”

Wulfwaru looked in the distance as if to try to see the patrol, “Do think they will be successful?”

Crístina too looked off into the distant hills, “Perhaps.”

Wulfwaru turned to her mother, “What if they are not?”

Crístina looked back at her daughter, “Then Hjalmar will raise his flag in revolt and your father will crush him.”

Wulfwaru shook her head, “War with your brother.”

Crístina sighed, “Your father must do what is best for the kingdom.”

Wulfwaru turned and leaned on the ramparts and looked out over the city, “Or yourself,” she murmured.

A flash of anger flickered in Crístina’s eyes and she said, “Remember he not only protects himself but you too.”

Crístina’s words were lost on her daughter. Wulfwaru’s distrust of her father was too deep.

Wulfwaru huffed some but then asked, “What was the letter from the Pope and why did father get angry over it?”

Crístina shook her head and smirked at Wulfwaru, “Still looking at your father’s documents. Have you not learned?”

Wulfwaru looked angrily at her mother, “I did not look at the letter. I overheard father speaking to Beorhthelm about it.”

Crístina was relieved She did not want to relive any episode that involved Wulfwaru being caught by Rædwald reading his documents.

“The Pope sent a letter requesting your father to revoke Free Investiture.”

Wulfwaru nodded and asked, “Did father revoke it?”

Crístina smiled, “Of course not. Being able to appoint bishops is a right that goes back to your great-great grandfather King Knut.”

Wulfwaru smiled secretly proud of her father. “He was able to do so without any repercussions?”

Crístina shook her head, “With the pope nothing is without repercussions. A donation was paid to the pope.”

jfnFjPz.png

Wulfwaru was slightly disappointed but knew that one could not be overly defiant to the pope. The fear of excommunication always was a worry.

Wulfwaru asked, “Is it true that Uncle Hlothere has another daughter?”

Crístina smiled, “Yes. Her name is Maud.”

wmAQ3gr.png

Wulfwaru found the news made her happy, “That is good for them.”

Wulfwaru asked, “How did father take the news that the English-Scottish War ended?”

Crístina turned and leaned her back against the rampart, “As expected. He was disappointed. If it were not for King Diogo of Galicia interfering King Ewan would have been victorious.”

Wulfwaru smirked, “What of the Galicians? I hear they are barbarians.”

Crístina snickered, “I know they fight hard. They think we are the barbarians. I do not care for their arrogance.”

Wulfwaru looked at her mother with some pride, “I heard that your Tarans beat them soundly when they faced the soldiers of Mide.”

Proud Crístina smiled, “Yes we did.”

Wulfwaru smiled back, “I think if they ever fought Jorvikians they would regret it.”

Crístina chuckled, “I am sure they would.” Curious Crístina looked at her daughter, “Why this sudden interest in the Galicians?”

Wulfwaru looked down and replied, “I just would not want father marry me to a Galician prince.”

Crístina reached over and grabbed her daughter and pulled her close, “I can say for sure that is the furthest thing from his mind. Now why the concern?”

Wulfwaru continued looking down, “Eadweard said he heard father discussing marrying me to someone from Galicia with Beorhthelm.”

Knowing there were some sibling shenanigans going on Crístina asked, “Did your brother say why your father would marry you to a prince of Galicia?”

Wulfwaru said, “He said father told Beorhthelm that he needed a marriage to counter the English alliance with Galicia.”

Crístina looked at her daughter knowing there was more, “Anything else?”

Wulfwaru hesitated and then tears began to swell in her eyes, He said that father said I was too ugly to marry to anyone other than a Galician.”

Crístina got the look that mothers get when a child has done something that warranted punishment and said, “Un-huh, I see. Let’s go see Eadweard.”

Crístina then put her arms around Wulfwaru’s shoulders and lead her from the ramparts.

Bamburgh, Northumbria

Hjalmar finished his dinner and pushed the bowl away from him on the table. He reached for his mug of ale and drained it dry.

Strange, he thought, the servant should have been here to take the bowl and bring more ale.

A loud commotion was occurring outside the door to his chambers. Hjalmar tried to discern the words but was not able to understand them. He could tell the discussion was getting rather heated and involved someone trying to enter the chambers univited. Hjalmar looked around for his sword and saw it hanging from the rack on the other side of the room. He knew there would not be enough time to reach it. He held on tightly to the spoon as it was the only thig he had.

He was about to stand when the door suddenly swung open and Mayor Valdemar of Gateshead, his Steward entered, or was pushed into the room.

A thoroughly frustrated Valdemar said, “I am sorry milord, I tried to tell them you are unavailable.”

A man pushed by Valdemar nearly knocking the mayor off his feet. The man was followed by several men at arms with swords drawn. Hjalmar stood pushing his chair out away from the table concealing the spoon. Several of the invaders moved toward him.

“I would not do that, Duke Hjalmar.” Hjalmar looked at the man you entered the room last. The man continued, “A spoon against swords will not work in your favor.”

Hjalmar knew the man was right and dropped the spoon on the table. In a commanding voice the Duke of Northumbria bellowed, “Bishop Hrolfr of Burton, what is the meaning of this intrusion?”

Hjalmar kept his eyes on the men in the room as he waited for an answer. Several of them worked their way around Hjalmar. He knew he was trapped.

Hrolfr responded in his own commanding voice, “Duke Hjalmar of Northumbria by order of King Rædwald you are hereby under arrest.”

Hjalmar glared at Hrolfr and asked, “On what charge?”

As he responded Hrolfr replied, “Treason!”

Before Hjalmar could react, men grabbed his arms. He was quickly found himself with his upper body pinned to the table. His arms were yanked behind him and his hands tied. He was pulled erect and pushed out of the room.

GSEtpDS.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
It is has been a long time coming.

Interesting to see Wulfwaru's views of her father.

Reactions:
It is has been a long time coming.

Interesting to see Wulfwaru's views of her father.

Hjalmar has been asking for it for a while now.

Wulfwaru is getting close to coming of age so we may see some more of her.

Next chapter is a day or so away from being ready for posting. I am not thrilled with part of it but I may just post it anyway. The chapter is needed to help set up some future events.

Reactions:
Next chapter is a day or so away from being ready for posting. I am not thrilled with part of it but I may just post it anyway.
That's not a good way to trail your new chapters in advance mr...just saying

I liked the arrest scene-seems that the imprisonment has been successful? Unless the errant duke springs an escape...

Also it was nice that scene with mother and daughter, queen and princess, giving an insight into how it must be for the women in such a realm. Often pawns, beholden to their fathers and sires

• 1Like
Reactions:
I liked the arrest scene-seems that the imprisonment has been successful? Unless the errant duke springs an escape...

Also it was nice that scene with mother and daughter, queen and princess, giving an insight into how it must be for the women in such a realm. Often pawns, beholden to their fathers and sires

With Hjalmar we will just have to wait and see if an escape is in the works.

I am trying to bring Wulfwaru into the story some to give a different perspective on things. Her relationship with her ather is tough just like any spirited child would be with a powerful father.

That's not a good way to trail your new chapters in advance mr...just saying

That was the frustrations speaking. I was having a difficult time with the chapter. For me writing the AAR is my time to relax and unwind. Things outside the AAR world have been stressful for the last couple of weeks dealing with the health of a family member and the usual annual pressure time at work. Encountering a perplexing chapter was not what I needed at that time. I had a few nights where I tried to write and literally wrote not a word. I decided to push forward and start the next chapter. So now I am two chapters past and things are looking better. By continuing on I have been able to connect some of the parts that were annoying me. Once I finish the draft of the chapter I am working on I will go back and fixing the next chapter. So the longest drought in posting an update should be over in a few days, I hope.

Reactions: