• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mangled, yup. He was doomed. Especially with his consumption on top of it? Pretty much instant death in gameplay terms, but not a nice way to go in story!

Scotland should fall with relative ease now. Though I wonder, what we will see from the new Scottish king. And perhaps Rædwald can make use of Guðrun's child in the future against the Scots.

Reactions:
I must say I noticed Rædwald's four designations - husband, rogue, scholar, King. Four good ways of labelling him.

That sounds like him. Playing him as a lunatic at times is tough. I have to keep forcing my desire to win down and role play. I needed a way to justify the war with Scotland other than just go and grab another tributary so I used the fact he is a lunatic and prone to impulsive decisions at times.

Mangled, yup. He was doomed. Especially with his consumption on top of it? Pretty much instant death in gameplay terms, but not a nice way to go in story!

Scotland should fall with relative ease now. Though I wonder, what we will see from the new Scottish king. And perhaps Rædwald can make use of Guðrun's child in the future against the Scots.

Consumption has hit the Scottish Royals hard. I was surprised by Malcolm's death, not only how quickly it came but how it happened. I only discovered it when I went back over my notes and saved games.

I found Scotland tedious to finish off. It is never beat their army and a couple of sieges. It usually takes six or eight sieges as you get small war scores for each siege you win.

The next chapter will hopefully be up in a day or two. Fell behind due to having to purchase a new vehicle this past week. My 9 year old van decided to commit suicide by breaking its front axle. Luckily I was traveling at a very low speed as I was pulling away and turning at a stop sign.

Quite obviously the next chapter continues the war. We also meet Prince Eadweard for the first time as a character in the story. Along with the war there are a few family matters that happen.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.14.2 - December 1018 Siege Lines Outside of Cupar, County of Fife
December 1018 Siege Lines Outside of Cupar, County of Fife

jE2mIAa.png

Rædwald never cared for the beginning of a siege. The confusion and chaos that accompanied surrounding the besieged city, the erection of fortifications, and the installation of the siege engines felt overly tedious and mundane. While he grasped the importance of sieges in subduing an enemy, Rædwald like many felt more at home on the battlefield or on the road pursuing the enemy. A siege was the same day after day with the occasional raid thrown in. Then finally after months the final assault would come. An almost anti-climactic event after the long wait.

Rædwald did have to admit this siege had begun easily enough. Many of the fortifications from when the English had besieged the city were still in place and effortlessly repaired. Emrys had seen to the king’s comfort by securing a manor for the king to dwell in throughout the siege. The marshal had taken over the town hall for his command post and his residence since he wished to be close to the command post.

Rædwald now stood in the town hall looking over a map of Cupar and the surrounding area draped over a large table. Wood tokens of different colors were placed on the map around the outside of the city.

Prince Eadweard strolled over to the table. The young prince had turned 11 back in August and Rædwald felt it was time for him to experience life in a military camp. No objections from Queen Crístina were expressed with being a siege the prince could easily be kept away from harm. Besides the queen was in attendance elsewhere in the camp and had brought 14-year-old Princess Wulfwaru along.

As Eadweard stopped at the table Rædwald looked at him and asked, “How was your tour with Bishop Wistan of Burton?”

Eadweard looked at the tokens and without taking his eyes off them replied, “It was nice.”

Rædwald feigned horror and asked, “It was nice! Just nice. What did you see?”

Eadweard desperately wanted to reach out and grab one of the tokens and as he answered he slowly moved his hand toward one, “I saw the siege towers being built and the trebuchets.” His voice rose with excitement as he mentioned trebuchets. I saw the new big one. It hurled a huge rock toward the walls, but the rock did little damage.” Disappointment filled his voice, “The rock just crumbled when it hit the wall.”

Rædwald smiled and patted his son on the back, “That is why sieges take a long time. The walls of cities and castles are strong, and it takes many rocks hitting the same place over and over again to do any damage.”

Eadweard nodded and returned his attention to the tokens. Rædwald interrupted his attempt to grab one by asking, “Did you thank Bishop Wistan for showing you the camp?”

Eadweard was insulted at the question. Good manners had been drilled into him from an early age from his tutors and especially his mother, “Yes, of course I did.”

Curiosity finally overcame shyness and Eadweard asked, “What are these wood pieces for?”

Rædwald smiled and picked up one, “They show our army around the city. See this one,” holding a white token with a red cross, “it is for our Jorvikian troops.”

Rædwald handed the token to Eadweard and he examined it. He looked at the map and asked, “Why are there 8 Jorvikian tokens.”

Rædwald pointed at the tokens and said, “Each one represents about 500 troops.”

Eadweard thought for a moment and said, “that means there are four thousand Jorvikian troops here.”

Proud Rædwald nodded and said, “Yes that is very well done.”

Eadweard beamed in his father praise. He put the Jorvikian token down and asked, “What do the other ones mean?”

Rædwald ginned. He knew the question was coming. “The blue token with the three yellow stripes is for the Tarans.”

Eadweard excitedly interrupted, “They are mother’s soldiers from her Petty Kingdom of Mide.”

Rædwald realized he had an audience of sorts as Emrys, Vagn, and Earl Cathal of Tír Eoghain now stood around the table.

Rædwald continued, “The green with the wavy blue and white lines is for Ulaidh.”

Eadweard looked around the room and asked, “Is Chief Garalt of Ulaidh here?”

It was Vagn who answered. It was his responsibility to arrange the upcoming war council meeting. “He is not here but will be along shortly.”

Eadweard looked at Earl Cathal and pointed at the white token with a red dot and said, “That one is for your soldiers, Earl Cathal.”

Cathal smiled and nodded, “Yes, prince it is.”

Eadweard looked at the map and pointed to the amber with red stripes tokens and said, “Those must be the Scottish.”

Emrys chuckled and responded, “You are correct, Prince Eadweard.”

At that moment several people entered the room. Eadweard spotted one and ran toward her saying, “Mother.”

Crístina smiled as he hugged her about the waist. Eadweard suddenly stopping hugging her and looked oddly at her. Crístina chuckled, “This is a place of war.” She removed her furs and revealed how she was dressed. “Since I command the Tarans I dress like the men, in armor and with a sword at my waist.”

Eadweard seemed to be relieved. He had grown used to seeing his mother in dresses and gowns. This was the first time he had encountered her dressed for war.

With Crístina was Chief Garalt and Princess Wulfwaru. Crístina told Eadweard to join Wulfwaru and to stand along the wall near the table out of everyone’s way. She also told them to stay quiet and observe.

Crístina and Garalt took their places at the table. They were soon joined by Beorhthelm. Rædwald nodded and Beorhthelm said a quick prayer for a successful council.

Emrys nodded and two servants laid a map of Scotland and English Lothian on the table. Emrys began, “We all had held the hope that the newly elected King of Scotland Uhtred would be reasonable and surrender. Unfortunately, he has not yielded to the inevitable and continues to fight on even after the defeats his army under the command of Earl Stephan of Tyrconnell have suffered at the hands of the army commanded by Dathgus mac Cummascach at Tain in September and Crossraguel last month. Since Crossraguel we have split the army with our half besieging Cupar and Dathgus pursuing the remnants of the Scottish army into Moray.”

9P37yJ4.png
YFSkspw.png

jNIhIEs.png
asqwE7Z.png

So far, this news was not anything those gathered did not know as many were present at the mentioned battles.

Garalt coughed and said, “If I may interrupt for a moment.”

Emrys nodded and indicated Garalt should continue. Garalt did so, “I must speak bad tidings. Dathgus mac Cummascach has gone to God. Mayor Ríán of Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe from the Kingdom of Connachta now commands.”

DwK57Kb.png

There were shocked murmurs from around the table. Crístina asked, “Of what did Dathgus die? I do not recall him being wounded or even sick the last time we saw him.”

In a somber tone Garalt replied, “He had a cancer of the spine that he hid from all but his closest friends. The physicians say it happened because of his hunched back.”

Solemnly Rædwald said, “We will pray for his soul.”

Garalt nodded his gratitude.

Emrys turned back to the map and pointed to the County of Moray, “Mayor Ríán is to pursue and destroy the Scottish. With over six thousand troops it should not take long to crush eight hundred Scottish.”

A hearty round of “Hear, hear” filled the air around the table.

Rædwald waited for the clamor to die and then produced a letter. All eyes were upon him. He held up the letter and said, “I bring good tidings regarding our common enemy King Ælfgar of England. Even with the assistance of the filthy Galicians he has been forced to yield to Fer-Fugaill who is now known as the Liberator. He is also Earl of an independent County of Tuadhmhumhain free from English rule.”

W9gvXlX.png

Applause followed the announcement.

Emrys lead the discussion as the council continued. He discussed how the siege would progress and assigned different tasks to the various units within the army. Once he was finished the council was called to a close. Everyone left except for Rædwald, Crístina, Emrys, and Cathal. Wulfwaru and Eadweard made their way over to their parents.

Cathal acknowledged the royal children. They politely returned the greeting.

Cathal looked at the children and smiled. “I want apologize for not being able to attend the ceremonies due to the war, but I would like to offer my congratulations to both of you on your betrothals.”

Both children fidgeted some and Wulfwaru blushed. Cathal continued, “Princess Wulfwaru I wish you a loving and long marriage to Prince Konrád of Great Moravia.” His smile became broader and he said, “You will be the Queen of Great Moravia someday.”

DfGNv0p.png

Amazingly Wulfwaru’s face became even redder. She nodded and thanked Cathal.

Cathal then turned to Eadweard and said, “And you Prince Eadweard you are lucky to be betrothed to the Princess Sarrazine of Burgundy. Your marriage will join the great houses of Jorvik and of King Josselin of Burgundy.”

Bap8kyA.png

Eadweard was not sure how to react to the fact that he was betrothed. To him girls were just annoying and could not imagine living with one.

Eadweard looked at his parents and his mother gave him a look. He quickly thanked the earl.

Cathal then looked at Rædwald and Crístina and bowed. He then left the room.

Crístina looked at the children and said, “Why don’t you go see what the cooks are making for the mid-day meal.”

Eadweard was off running before his mother finished. Wulfwaru rolled her eyes and protested, “Mother.”

Crístina motioned for her to go, “Wulfwaru go.”

Wulfwaru put her head down and followed her brother.

After the children had left Emrys turned to Rædwald and asked, “What of the situation with Birgitta?”

Rædwald sighed, “She has returned to court in York. Since her husband Geoffroy was appointed Bishop of Charlieu, their marriage was annulled. Since she no longer had ties in the Burgundian court she was sent back to our court.”

0whpt95.png

Crístina eyes widened and anger crossed her face, “No ties to the court? What of her children?”

Rædwald knew how Crístina felt and regretted what he had to say in response, “They remain at court in Burgundy.”

Crístina’s became red with anger and started to respond but Rædwald raised his hand to stay her and said, “I know what you are going to say, and I agree with you. According to Burgundian law they are considered Burgundian and therefore stay at King Josselin’s court. I have asked Ealdmund and Strula to see what can be done.”

Crístina glared at Rædwald but said nothing.

Emrys hesitated with his next question. He had not intended to create a family confrontation. After taking a deep breath he asked, “Why did King Nicolas of France end the anti-papacy of Innocentius II?”

W6R6fMn.png

Rædwald shook his head, “We have not heard any one reason. From what Ealdmund has discovered he needs Pope Honorius’ support to aid him with the peasants. The situation with the peasants is dire throughout France. There is one active revolt in Valencia and many others brewing. The raising of levies is now being affected by the unrest and in some places the levies refused their last muster.”

Emrys nodded and said, “Keeping the peasantry happy is very important in ruling a kingdom. Without them the kingdom will come apart from within.”

The three decided to make their way to the dining area to join Eadweard and Wulfwaru. They did not get far when a courier overtook them.

The courier sought out Crístina. As he was handing the queen a note she asked, “You are from York?”

The courier nodded and replied, “Yes, the queen mother sent me.”

Rædwald, and Crístina held their breath as she opened the note. Both knew that Eadhild would only send a courier if there was a major problem.

Crístina read the note and horror filled her face. She felt weak in the knees and leaned against her husband who desperately asked, “What is it?”

Crístina sniffled and replied, “It is Ælfthryth.”

Becoming more stressed Rædwald asked, “What is wrong with our daughter?”

Crístina swallowed hard and replied, “She has contracted a life-threatening case of the flu.”

TaZWAek.png

Rædwald hugged his wife tightly and ordered the courier, “Find Beorhthelm.”

The courier nodded and replied, “Yes, Sire.” He then went off in search of the court physician.

Rædwald kissed Crístina on the forehead and said, “We shall leave for York immediately.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
So while things look almost reasonable in the war, disease - they ever present enemy strikes.

Reactions:
The poor kings of Scotland... nothing they can do to stop the oncoming wave of Jorvik crashing against their borders. I find that throne is not a very good one to have in most games. Usually plenty of rebellion, and that's when whoever is in the south isn't coming north to take a county or two from them.

If it's not one disease, it's another these days.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So while things look almost reasonable in the war, disease - they ever present enemy strikes.

Everytime one thinks you got under control sickness pops up to drive you crazy.

The poor kings of Scotland... nothing they can do to stop the oncoming wave of Jorvik crashing against their borders. I find that throne is not a very good one to have in most games. Usually plenty of rebellion, and that's when whoever is in the south isn't coming north to take a county or two from them.

If it's not one disease, it's another these days.

I have never tried Scotland. I have done Ireland and did well.

In this game sickness is becoming annoying but at least it not the Black Death (yet).

I am going to take some time off from writing. I am going to play forward some more. I think I need a change of pace to help rejuvenate me some. I have the next two chapters written in near final form. After that there is a period of slow pace and then a major event, and I mean major, happening.

As far as the next chapter goes the war continues and we learn of some happenings within the realm and surrounding lands.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 7.14.3 - August 1019 City of Dunfermline, County of Fife
August 1019 City of Dunfermline, County of Fife

Rædwald drew his horse to a stop before the town hall. Groomsmen took the reigns from the king and the other dignitaries as they dismounted. Jorvikian, Deheubarthian, and Tír Eoghian guards quickly and smartly took their positions around the dignitaries. Rædwald nodded and the group which along with the king included Duke Emrys and Earl Cathal of Tír Eoghain walked toward the stairs leading up to the town hall.

Rædwald was in a good mood as he closed the distance to the town hall. The events of the last eight months had a very large part in his attitude. In that time Emrys and he had taken Cupar and St. Andrews.

cMUGmTM.png
2jhMMbJ.png

Mayor Ríán with his army of Jorvikians, Munsterians, Ulsterians, and Tír Eoghianians defeated the Scottish army at Rosemarkie and Elgin.

usSNsAQ.png
qMyGBhS.png

After the battles Mayor Ríán and his Munsterians continued to pursue any remaining Scottish troops. Mayor Uhtræd of Scarborough and the Jorvikians, Ulsterians, and Tír Eoghianians under his command besieged and captured Dunstaffnage in the County of Argyll.

wsDsPfb.png

Mayor Uhtræd and his army moved on and now besieged St Moluag.

Rædwald now had Dunfermline and with it all of the County of Fife.

At the bottom of the stairs Mayor Edward and several of the city’s leaders stood waiting for the king. Normally this formality would have occurred inside the town hall, but the building had suffered damage in the siege. It was now a burned-out shell of fire scorched stone walls and charred beams that once held the roof. One of the great wooden doors hung loosely on its bottom hinges, the other lay in ruin on the stone entranceway.

As the king approached Edward and the city leaders dropped to one knee and bowed their heads.

Rædwald stopped before Edward and said, “Mayor Edward, you have made a wise choice.”

The king indicated that the group may stand, which they did.

Edward replied, “Further resistance would have been foolish and resulted in unneeded bloodshed and suffering. We have been abandoned by our king and left to our own inadequate means. Our people starve and have suffered greatly from the bombardment”

Emrys nodded and responded, “With less than 300 soldiers you have fought with honor and can hold your heads high.”

Rædwald added, “We will share what provisions we can. It may not be a large amount as you must remember we are still an army fighting a war and must move on to our next objective.”

Edward looked at the Jorvikians confused. These were not the barbarians he had been told about. They showed honor and compassion. The mayor replied, “Your words are truly gracious. Any food and medical assistance will be truly appreciated.”

He then looked at Rædwald and frowned, “It is traditional for the mayor to turn over at this time the key to the city gate, but I fear it has been lost in the destruction of our town hall. I can only offer you my word that the city is yours and sign whatever documents you desire.”

Rædwald grinned, knowing the city gate key was worthless as the gates would have to be replaced. A battering ram had seen to that. He replied, “I accept the surrender of Dunfermline. My scribes will bring the articles to you later this day for the formal signing. For now, your word will suffice.”

XhnS0uA.png

Several hours later Rædwald returned to his tent. No soft bed waited for him, no four solid walls either. No time to relish in the victory over another city. The army was on the move. Tents were being struck and equipment crated and hauled onto wagons. Soldiers cursed and complained as soldiers do when given orders to march. Soon discipline and pride would overcome the malcontent of the soldiers. Even before the city fell Emrys had ordered nearly half of the army north on the road to Scone, where King Uhtred’s throne stood.

It may be August, but winter would soon be upon them. Knowing the defenses of Scone were formable Rædwald and Emrys knew a prolonged siege lasting through the winter and perhaps into the spring was in store for them. Before the bitter cold and snows came Emrys wished to have his army ready for the weather, entrenched around the city with winter quarters constructed and provisioned. To aid that effort raiders had been set loose in Gowrie to gather supplies and create fear and panic. Scouts had begun sending reports from the outskirts of Scone.

Rædwald, full of confidence and satisfaction opened the flap to his tent and stepped in. As expected, a figure was seated on a stool provided for guests. Upon seeing the king enter the figure rose and then went to one knee and bowed.

Rædwald smiled and gestured with his hand, “Duke Ealdmund there is no need for such formalities at a time like this.”

Ealdmund rose and returned the king’s smile, “Thank you, Sire.”

Rædwald walked across the tent and took a seat in the padded arm chair that served as his throne in this tent. Rædwald pointed to the stool and said, “Resume your seat.”

Ealdmund nodded and sat down on the stool.

Rædwald asked, “Something to clinch your thirst after a long journey?”

Ealdmund nodded, “Yes thank you, milord.”

Rædwald signaled and a servant brought them two goblets of wine. As the servant handed the king his goblet, Rædwald ordered, “Leave the pitcher. You are dismissed.”

The servant sat the pitcher down on the table next to Rædwald’s chair, bowed and left the tent.

Once the servant had left the tent and secured the flap Rædwald leaned over in the chair toward Ealdmund and in a low voice asked, “What of the plot?”

Ealdmund leaned toward the king and in a low voice said, “I wish you would reconsider, Sire.”

Rædwald leaned back quickly nearly spilling his wine and responded in his normal voice, “Reconsider? Why should I?” Realizing what he was doing the king paused, lowered his voice, and returned to the leaning position, “Because he is my brother?”

Ealdmund hid his anger. He had expressed his growing concerns over the plot and the possible repercussions if it went wrong. “Partially. You have sent him to the oubliette and now he suffers from consumption. With no treatments and being in that place he is not long for the living. His death will be expected, and no one will question it.”

Rædwald glared at Ealdmund. He was tiring of this conversation. “I want him to know that it was I who ordered his death and had it carried out. I do not want him to think that God or some illness is responsible. I want him to hear the assassin tell him it was I who is responsible for his death.”

Ealdmund was growing frustrated, “Milord, while I understand you desire for a measure of revenge against your brother for the wrongs he has committed against you I fear he will not know your name or who you are.”

Confusion crossed Rædwald’s face, “What do you speak of? Of course, he will know.”

Ealdmund took a deep breath, “I do not think it will be so. The guards report that he is completely out of his mind. He acknowledges no one, not even his mother when she visits him.”

um7eYkb.png

Rædwald snickered, “So Ingrid still visits him and hopes for his release. Fool.”

Ealdmund nodded, “She is his mother.”

Rædwald shook his head, “That maybe but she is still a fool.”

Ealdmund sat back in the chair. His back was becoming painful from the leaning. Still in a low voice he said, “She is someone that will have to be dealt with upon Hjalmar’s death no matter the manner. Be it by natural causes, consumption, or and assassin’s blade, she will turn her anger toward you.”

Rædwald now sat back in the chair and took a sip of wine. “If she becomes too bothersome we will remove her from court one way or another.”

Ealdmund swallowed. The death of one member of the royal household on his hands was bad enough. At least with Hjalmar the Duke of Northumbria had earned his fate with constant plotting and refusal to follow orders. Ingrid was only a mother protecting her child.

“Yes, milord.”

Annoyed and impatient when came to this matter Rædwald asked bluntly, “Are you going to complete this task, or shall I find another who will without question or hesitation?”

Ealdmund took a long draught from the goblet eyeing Rædwald the entire time over the rim of the goblet. To have another take on this task was not something Ealdmund wanted. While the task of having the king’s, half-brother killed left a bad taste in his mouth he did not want some incompetent fool botching the scheme exposing the king and others to retribution from the lords of the kingdom. To protect the crown, he knew what he must do.

“There is no need to find another. I will take care of it.”

Rædwald smiled and said, “Good I do not wish to speak of this again until the deed is done.”

Rædwald finished his wine. He placed the goblet on the table and filled it with the pitcher. Ealdmund waited until the king was finished and he too filled his goblet. Rædwald took a long sip.

Rædwald held the goblet in his lap and looked at the wine in it. “I truly miss the French wine we once received from King Renaud. Our monks do well but it is not the same.”

Ealdmund finished his sip and replied, “A shame that Nicolas is not of the same mind as his father when it comes to friends.”

Rædwald nodded and took another sip. Holding the goblet in his right hand and resting it on the arm of the chair he looked at Ealdmund and asked, “Were my condolences expressed to the new Chief of Ulaidh on the passing of Garalt?”

vUHTWQD.png

Ealdmund was growing weary of being both Spymaster and Chancellor. Too often lately Strula has fled to his manor in Macclesfield every time he perceived a threat to his life. Prince Hlothere, Steward of the kingdom was fighting a war against King Ælfgar and therefore was not able to assist in matters of diplomacy at the present. Rædwald would never allow Beorhthelm, the Court Chaplin, to leave for a diplomatic mission as long as he was the Court Physician. Emrys who was perhaps as good a diplomat as he was a marshal was busy leading the war. That left Ealdmund.

Ealdmund finished his sip of wine and replied, “Yes, Sire. I met with Chief Eláir expressing your condolences, sympathies, and prayers for the soul of his nephew.”

Rædwald grinned. He knew of Ealdmund’s dilemma over performing diplomatic missions but appreciated Ealdmund’s loyalty, “I thank you for going beyond your duties for the sake of the kingdom.”

Ealdmund smiled and nodded, “As always I am your man.”

Rædwald returned the smile and lifted his goblet in a toast. Ealdmund reciprocated the toast.

Rædwald asked, “What do make of this Eláir?”

V7RNxyk.png

Ealdmund sat further back on the stool and placed the goblet on the table. He stroked his beard as he thought for a moment as he tried to find the right words.

“He is a proud man who is said to be charitable and patient to and with his people. There are those who say that he has always been envious of his nephew becoming chief instead of him.”

Rædwald chuckled, “Nothing out of the ordinary then. Will he present any problems?”

Ealdmund reached for his goblet and replied, “I doubt it, Sire. He is skilled tactician and was Marshal under Garalt. He is primarily a solider.”

Rædwald sipped his wine and nodded. A devilish grin appeared, “Any vices?”

Ealdmund returned the grin knowing Rædwald was fishing for leverage over Eláir, “It is said he is chaste.”

Rædwald cocked an eye brow, “Since when is being chaste a vice?”

It was Ealdmund’s turn to chuckle, “It is if the reason is because of your preference.”

Rædwald’s grin turned to a full smile, “Yes I can see that.”

Both men laughed as they drank.

Rædwald placed his goblet on the table and Ealdmund took his and rested it on his lap. In a bitter voice the king said, “What is the word from Rome? I expect any day to find a papal envoy at my tent flap begging for money for the new Holy Father.”

Ealdmund responded, “I believe it will be some time before a papal representative from Rome arrives here.”

Intrigued Rædwald asked, “What makes you think so?”

Ealdmund finished his wine and placed the cup on the table and grinned. Displaying his knowledge of events, places, and people is what he truly relished.

“According to my sources the transition from the late Pope Honorius II to Pope Gregorius V has been anything but pleasant. The election was contentious and filled with infighting. The conclave took several weeks before a deal between the German, Occitan, and Venetian cardinals elected Gregorius. Before being elected Gregorius was Prince-Archbishop Manfred of Bremen. Many of the Italian cardinals resent a German especially one who is considered a puppet of King Karl III of East Francia being elected.”

UOIG1Ba.png
q3wJYXP.png

Rædwald scratched his beard, “If the German is pope what can the Italians do? Is it not God’s will that he was elected?” A sinister grin came to the king’s lips. He shared his father and grandfather’s skeptical opinion of the papacy. Too often he felt the popes were more concerned with their earthly existence and not the welfare of their flock.

Ealdmund laughed at the king and his sarcasm. “It is not just the cardinals who are upset. It is also the rulers of Italy. From all the signs my sources have uncovered King Berardo II of Italy is preparing to launch a war for the County of Florenz against the Papacy. At least that is what the stated reason will be, but the true reason is to curtail the German cardinals and prevent the election of another German as Cardinal Leopold of Osnabrück is the Perferatus.”

Rædwald smirked, “The pettiness of men is why I like my father and grandfather do not put much trust in the so-called Vicar of Rome.”

Ealdmund smiled and said, “There is interesting news from Dyflinn.”

Rædwald raised his eye brows. The king had a claim on the county and if not for the war with Scotland he would have acted upon it by now. He would have to fight a war with the Kingdom of Svea Rike meaning that the much of the war would be fought in Scandinavia, far from Jorvik.

lMibk9Z.png

The king asked, “What news would that be?”

Ealdmund smile grew, “Chief Suni of Dyflinn is no longer a vassal of King Snorri of Svea Rike. Snorri and several powerful vassals were not fond that under their elective system for choosing a king Chief Suni was the leading candidate. These vassals convinced Snorri to grant Dyflinn its independence. Apparently having a king who is possessed did not sit well with the lords of Svea Rike.”

HoME9ZC.png

Rædwald chuckled, “That is interesting. We will not have to battle in faraway places.” Then an unpleasant thought came to Rædwald, “Other than myself who has a claim to Dyflinn?”

Ealdmund knew he would be asked this question, “None of any importance. There are several Scandinavian chiefs who hold claims. They are, however, small and insignificant.”

56qhddS.png

Rædwald still was worried, “Once this war is done we must move quickly on Dyflinn before someone like King Ælfgar fabricates a claim.”

Ealdmund nodded. “Yes, Sire.” Since he had discussed all the topics he had come to discuss he was readying himself to leave.

Rædwald, however, was not finished and asked, “Is it true that my sister Judith is with child?”

Ealdmund had to think for a moment. Judith who was also Ealdmund’s sister had once been his ward but after her marriage to the late Æthelweald son of the late Count Eadgar of Northampton he had lost track of her life. After a few minutes he did recall a report he had seen.

“I believe she is.”

6weeZ21.png

Rædwald sighed and anger flickered in his eyes, “First she marries Earl Harold of Leicester and now she bears his child. Most disappointing.”

UUyT5yG.png

Ealdmund knew that Harold had been bothersome of late with creating and joining factions. He expressed his displeasure with the king to any who would listen. However, he had not crossed the line and done something that could be considered traitorous. Ealdmund truly wished he would cross that line, so he could be dealt with.

Ealdmund responded, “I too harbor disappointment in her new husband but after the death of her first husband she was a member of the court of Earl Wulf of Northampton and he made the choice of her husband.”

Rædwald looked at Ealdmund and said, “Earl Harold must be watched. We do not need him to become too bothersome.”

Ealdmund nodded, “That is true, Sire.

Rædwald was pleased with the meeting and said, “You are free to go Duke Ealdmund.”

Ealdmund stood and said, “Thank you, milord.” He bowed and then turned and began walking out of the tent and suddenly stopped. He turned and looked at Rædwald.

Fearing there was something amiss Rædwald asked, “Is there something more?”

Ealdmund frowned at first but then smiled, “Yes, milord.”

Rædwald prepared himself for bad news and asked, “What is this news that makes my Spymaster stop in his tracks?”

Ealdmund chuckled, “No, Sire, it is not bad. It concerns your cousin and former Queen of Scotland, Guðrun.”

Rædwald was still unsure and asked, “What of Guðrun? Last, I had heard she no longer resided in Scone. She married Edward of Galloway, who is Marshal of Tyrconnell.”

Ealdmund rubbed the back of his neck and replied, “Yes she did marry Edward. However, before doing so she gave birth to the twin sons of the late King Ewan. The oldest Gilchrist is now Tanist of Scotland. His younger brother Robert may not see many more days. He is sick with consumption and may not make it until the end of year.”

eCdfFhM.png
V6QDZuh.png
J722Vx8.png

Relieved Rædwald responded, “I am glad for Guðrun. She deserved better.”

In the back of Ealdmund’s mind an annoying memory came to the forefront. It was Rædwald who had sent her off to marry Ewan and put her in the position she is currently in.

Ealdmund nodded and said, “By your leave.”

Rædwald smiled and said, “If there is truly nothing more then you may depart.”

Ealdmund bowed and said, “Thank you, Sire.” The spymaster turned and left the tent. When Rædwald stood and walked to see where Ealdmund had gone it seemed as if the spymaster had just vanished.

Pleased Rædwald stepped back into his tent and called for his squire and other servants to help him prepare for the coming march to Scone.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Whatever Hjalmer's fate ends up being I think it can only be said he brought it on himself.

Reactions:
Murdering his brother seems an unnecessary risk - potentially picking up a kinslayer mallus for simple revenge?

But then it seems like Rædwald was rather... brutal in that chapter. Like Jorvik might be in for a dark time in the near future.

Reactions:
Whatever Hjalmer's fate ends up being I think it can only be said he brought it on himself.

Hjalmar did go too far and against a lunatic. The outcome will not be in his favor.

Murdering his brother seems an unnecessary risk - potentially picking up a kinslayer mallus for simple revenge?

But then it seems like Rædwald was rather... brutal in that chapter. Like Jorvik might be in for a dark time in the near future.

One has to rember that Rædwald is a lunatic and well lunatic don't always do what they should be done. Role playing Rædwald made this a fun and different. When I went back and replayed the game I made sure to try to play it according to his traits. It has made for a better game for me.

I still have some tweaking to o on the next chapter and it should be up in a day or two. The chapter continues the war. The end may be foregone but the outcome may not be as clear as usual.

After that I am taking my time writing. I am some trouble getting things together with the next few chapter of chapters. There are several small yet important events that are needed as background for some things coming down the road. Trying to write them is proving to be a challenge. I have jotted down some parts of the stories and now need to clean them up and bring them together. I am subscribing to the write and see where the story takes you theory. (Sound familiar Jabber?:D)

I am still playing the game forward. I'm just trying to find a good spot to pause or even finish the next reign. so after the next chapter it may a little while before the next batch gets posted.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.14.4 - 22 February 1020 Scone, County of Gowrie, Kingdom of Scotland
22 February 1020 Scone, County of Gowrie, Kingdom of Scotland

The great hall of the manor was small and cramped compared to the halls where ceremonies such as this were normally held. The fires in the hearths were roaring keeping the cold and dampness that prevented the ceremony from occurring outdoors at bay. At one end of the hall a dais with a throne upon had been constructed. Behind the throne the banners of Kingdom of Jorvik and the House of Hvitserk hung prominently. Adorning the remaining wall space were the banners of the Duchy of Deheubarth, the Barony of Warwick, and the City of Scarborough for the commanders of the Jorvikian forces. Along with Jorvikian banners those of the County of Tír Eoghain, the Chiefdom of Ulaidh, and the Petty Kingdom of Connachta hung for the allies present with the army.

The banner of the Petty Kingdom of Mide was among the other banners even though Queen Crístina was not in attendance. The queen was in York preparing Hextilda for her betrothal ceremony. In a few weeks Crístina and Hextilda would travel to the court of King Refr of Norge in Reykjavik. The daughter of the late Earl Æthelweald of Gloucester had been betrothed to the son of King Refr, Prince Halkjell.

S0P0Yy8.png

Her Taran soldiers, however, remained behind under the direct command of her husband. The banner honored them.

A table was placed at the foot of the dais. Scribes worked feverishly on the documents laid out on it. Finally satisfied the scribes stepped away from the table leaving the documents and several quills and ink wells.

Rædwald waited in a room off the great hall that had been used by the previous occupant of the manor as a private audience chamber. The room was small containing a large desk and several high back chairs. A large tapestry depicting a Scottish victory over some Norse raiders hung on the wall. Rædwald chuckled, here he was the direct descendant of the greatest Norse raider looking at a scene of the Scottish defeating his ancestors while he waited to accept the Scottish king’s surrender. Perhaps God did possesses a sense of humor.

Rædwald sat in one of the chairs behind the desk. Emrys sat in another chair before the king. Ealdmund leaned on the back of the remaining chair. Beorhthelm stood in the doorway waiting for a signal telling that the Scottish king was close.

A game of honor, willpower, and saving face was playing itself out. King Uhtred of Scotland was late. By being late he was forcing Rædwald to wait for him thus showing strength to his nobles that he was not at the beckoning call of the Jorvikian king. Rædwald had no choice but to wait. Any reaction could be taken as a weakness. However, Rædwald did hold the ultimate coup. Uhtred was coming to him in defeat and to accept his lot as Rædwald’s tributary. In that the true power rested.

Rædwald looked at Ealdmund and said, “My dear Duke of Powys you must learn to partake in the joys of the moment. Scone has fallen and thusly we have won the war.”

R00611M.png

Ealdmund tried to smile and replied, “I ask for your forgiveness, milord, for dampening the mood but I am suspicious and cautious by nature.”

Rædwald smiled, “Those traits are what makes you a most effective spymaster for us.”

Ealdmund bowed in gratitude and replied, “Thank you, Sire.”

Rædwald continued to smile and said, “Uhtred is beaten. His armies are crushed, and his castles and towns taken.” Rædwald looked at Emrys for support, “All went as planned.”

Emrys leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs and began, “Remember in October Mayor Uhtræd of Scarborough took St. Moluag. Uhtræd then moved to the Argyll Clan and conquered them by the end of November.

5CcJidR.png
vxHgD22.png

Ealdmund looked at Emrys and said, “Even after suffering defeats on the battlefield and the loss of their cities they still managed to raise another army.”

Emrys grinned, “Only 600 men.”

Ealdmund stopping leaning on the back of the chair and stood straight. “Nevertheless, they marched on our garrison at St Andrews.”

Emrys was getting annoyed, “Yes they did and Mayor Ríán of Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe and his army of Jorvikians, Munsterians, and Ulsterians dispatched them to a man.

ltiwJkL.png

Ealdmund glared at Emrys and asked, “What of those other battles fought while we sat here?”

Emrys gripped the arms of the chair and replied, “You speak of a raid on Chief Eláir as he returned from Ulaidh traveling to the front near Dunblane as a battle. At least at Ellon they had almost 500 against Ríán and his two thousand.”

KqHrrk1.png

Rædwald knew he had let the dispute go long enough and spoke, “Emrys did an excellent job conducting the war.” He turned and looked at Ealdmund, “Lord Ealdmund you will find this source of suspicion and root it out.”

Ealdmund nodded.

Just then Beorhthelm called from the doorway, “The Scottish king draws near.”

As word spread the Scottish king and his party were close the nobles began to file into the hall taking their places. As they did so they left an aisle from the door to the throne. First to enter were the allied lords. Earl Cathal of Tír Eoghain was the first to enter along with several of his advisors. Chief Eláir of Ulaidh with his entourage followed. Mayor Ríán of Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe lead the Munsterian delegation as King Natfraich remained in Connachta. Lastly the Taran representatives took their places along the what would be the king’s left.

After the allies were settled the Jorvikian lords arrived. Frist to take their places were the commanders. Mayor Uhtræd of Scarborough lead, followed by Bishop Wistan of Burton, Bishop Bulði of Worcester, and Baron Vagn of Warwick. Several lords who had not taken part in the fighting directly, namely Earl Eadwine of Cumberland, Duke Hlothere of Mann, and Earl Harold of Leicester trailed the commanders. The Jorvikians lined to the right of the throne.

A few moments later Beorhthelm entered from a side door and took his position to the left of the throne. Next Emrys and Ealdmund walked into the hall and stood next to the right of the throne. The three Councilors then ceremoniously moved to the steps of the dais.

When all was ready Beorhthelm cried out, “All hail, Rædwald Hvitserk, King of Jorvik.”

Rædwald came into the hall wearing his regal robes over his armor, and his crown. Several attendants came behind him. One carried the king’s sword, another the scepter of the kingdom, and a third with the orb. Once in the hall all present bowed. The king ascended the dais. Once before the throne he stopped and turned to face the audience. An attendant held his robe as Rædwald sat upon the throne. An attendant handed the king the sword. The king took the sword and placed it on his lap. Next, he was handed the scepter which he held with his right hand. Lastly, he was given the orb in his left hand. The attendants bowing walked backwards down the steps. At the bottom of the dais they stopped. Beorhthelm clapped and everyone stood up straight.

Rædwald nodded and Beorhthelm called out, “Enter, he who has business before the King of Jorvik.”

Rædwald sat on the throne holding the symbols of his kingship smirking. Uhtred would see him in all his power and glory. The Scottish king would now know his place.

There was a commotion at the rear of the hall. A voice rang out, “Uhtred Mac Ailpin, King of Scotland.”

Uhtred appeared at the rear of the hall. He wore a yellow tunic with the red lion herald of Scotland embroidered on the chest over his armor. A simple crown sat upon his head. He walked slowly down the aisle toward Rædwald. The Scottish king was followed by his Chancellor, Earl Stephan of Strathearn; and his Court Chaplin Bishop Gilbride of Iona.

Uhtred reached the table before the dais. He looked down at the document and then at Rædwald. If he was impressed by Rædwald’s display, he did not show it. There was no bow or other sign of respect given by either king.

After a few tense moments of silence Uhtred said, “Let’s get this over with.”

Rædwald glared at Uhtred and said, “Yes,” and looked at Beorhthelm.

Beorhthelm looked at Uhtred and asked, “Uhtred, King of the Scottish do you accept the terms of surrender?”

Uhtred narrowed his eyes and growled, “Yes.”

Beorhthelm asked, “Do you recognize King Rædwald as your suzerain and swear allegiance to him?”

Uhtred looked at Rædwald with all the hate he could muster, “Yes.”

Glaring back at Uhtred Rædwald said, “Then swear here before God and those present.”

Somewhere Uhtred found more hate and malice and projected it through his eyes and at Rædwald. He quickly uttered the oath.

A scribe handed Uhtred a quill and the Scottish king signed the documents. Wax was melted and Uhtred sealed the documents. Finished he stepped back and continued glaring at Rædwald.

Rædwald handed the sword, scepter and orb to his attendants. He rose leaving the royal robe draped over the back of the throne. Methodically he walked across the dais and down the steps. Once at the table a scribe offered him a quill and Rædwald signed and sealed the documents.

AZx5EgZ.png

One document was rolled up and presented to Uhtred who indicated it should be given to Earl Stephan. The Chancellor took the document. Without saying a word Uhtred turned and stormed out of the hall.

As Uhtred turned he looked at Gilbride. Ealdmund caught a glimpse of the two men grinning at one another.

Ealdmund turned to Emrys and asked, “Did you see that?”

Emrys looked oddly at Ealdmund and asked, “See what?”

Ealdmund pointed at the departing Scottish party, “They were grinning at one another.”

Emrys looked confused, “Grinning?”

Ealdmund nodded and replied, “I tell you there is something afoot.”

A moment later Ealdmund and Emrys were following Rædwald out of the hall. Just before he exited Emrys looked at where the Scottish had departed. Was the spymaster finally losing his mind. However, Emrys could not shake the feeling that something was amiss. Uhtred did seem to be overacting for some reason. Emrys shook his head and left the hall.

Spymaster Earl Stephan of Tyrconnell, and Marshal Earl Malmure of Oriel waited for the arrival of Uhtred and his companions. The Counselors looked at the broken walls, one in awe at the destruction and the other with professional respect.

Stephan shook his heads, “Amazing to see the damage wrought by those barbarians.”

Malmure shook his head at Stephan’s prejudice, “The Jorvikians are very adept at warfare, far better than we anticipated at the start of this foolish war.”

Stephan looked shocked at the marshal’s remarks, “Careful how you speak dear marshal. One may think you did not lead well on purpose.”

Malmure glared at Stephan, “I would be careful of how you refer to the Jorvikians and the Norse. Do you forget that the Tanist is half Norse?”

Stephan smirked, “I have not and many others do not. I worry not about a young boy who may or may not become king.”

Malmure was about to retort when the king and his companions came into view. Malmure decided to allow the subject to pass for now.

The king reached the waiting men. The groups exchanged greetings.

Stephan of Tyrconnell asked, “How did the ceremony play out?”

Uhtred smiled, “The arrogant bastard did as we had expected. All pomp and circumstances trying to intimidate us.”

Uhtred then looked seriously at the spymaster and asked, “You are sure this will work?”

Tyrconnell nodded, “Yes, milord it will.”

Uhtred then looked at Malmure and asked, “What are your feelings marshal?”

Malmure looked grave, “While the Spymaster and I rarely agree this is something that I do. It was the only way to get the lords to agree to the surrender.”

Uhtred sighed and said, “I pray you are correct.” Looking again at Malmure he asked, “You are certain a year.”

Malmure nodded, “Yes, Sire, a year maybe a year and a half but no more.”

Uhtred smile, “That is good.”

The king then directed his horse toward the city gates.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Something is definitely afoot.

Reactions:
Well, what are them Scots up to? Let's see if they are better at intrigue than they are at war.

Also, outside of England, Jorvik holds the entirety of the Isles as tributaries, right? That would be an impressive feat for the era.

Reactions:
Something is definitely afoot.

You will see in a few chapters. I found it to be downright rude and annoying.

Well, what are them Scots up to? Let's see if they are better at intrigue than they are at war.

Also, outside of England, Jorvik holds the entirety of the Isles as tributaries, right? That would be an impressive feat for the era.

I will say they figured out a way to get what they want and have someone else do it for them. I was truly annoyed at the AI when it sprang it on me.

In Ireland there are two independent counties, Dyflinn and Tuadhmhumhain. They will begin to play a role in future chapters. There is also the Petty Kingdom of Mide ruled by ruled by the queen. Lastly the County of Leinster is held by Aquitaine.

0p78X9q.png
e4qXVdp.png

I had hoped to have the next chapter ready to go but things changed somewhat. I have the next several chapters laid out. I had written the next chapter but was not 100% sure about it. I thought it should think on it for a day or two and moved on to fleshing out the following chapter. In doing so I discovered that I could include the events in the next chapter in a more relevant format within the following chapter. As a result the next chapter has been deleted and its events added to the new next chapter which required a small rewrite which I finished tonight. I still need to review it once or twice before it is ready for posting. Most likely it will be up tomorrow night.

The chapter is being to lay some groundwork for events and reactions to those events that will be coming further down the line.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.15.1 - April 1020 York
Chapter 7.15

April 1020 York

Strula walked slowly along the corridor toward the council chambers. Being several months since he had last been at court he was not sure how he would be received. The latest plot in a long string of plots had taken some time to thwart. He knew enemies watched him at every turn whether they were jealous of him being Chancellor or wish to seek revenge on him for some task he had performed for the king.

Ub5HAP5.png

He came to a stop at the open chamber doors. He peeked into the room. Ealdmund sat in one of the chairs at the large council table in the center of the chamber. The spymaster was reading some documents. Several lay in his lap and others on the table. Rædwald stood leaning on the table. The king was examining maps on the table. He moved several out his way and picked up one to look at it more closely. From his spot at the door Strula could see it was a map of Ireland.

Sensing that someone was watching Rædwald put down the map and turned to the door. Grinning he said, “Strula. Is that you hiding in the shadows? Come hither you are welcome here.”

Strula stepped out from behind the door frame. Ealdmund smiled broadly and said, “It is good to see you, old friend.”

Strula returned the smile. The two men had known one another for many long years and had been on council together for some time. The two had shared many crises and triumphs over the long years.

The Chancellor walked from the door to the king. At the king he bowed and said, “At your service, Sire.”

Rædwald motioned for his to rise, “As always. I offer my gratitude in you responding to my summons quickly.”

Strula stood straight and replied, “I have always been your man, milord.”

Rædwald looked at Strula through squinting eyes thinking, when it is convenient you are. You have not answered our summons for several months prior. Rædwald’s tolerance for Strula’s behavior of fleeing to his manor at the slightest whim of a plot was waning.

Rædwald directed Strula to a seat. The Chancellor took a seat in the chair indicated. The king offered Strula wine, “This not the good French wine we once grew accustomed to. It is a local vintage and is quite tolerable.”

A servant brought Strula a cup. At the same time the servant refilled the king’s cup and the spymaster’s cup. Strula takes a sip. As Rædwald described it not great but it good. Strula said, “It is far better than anything I have had recently. Our grapes in Chester are just too sour and ruin the taste.”

Rædwald and Ealdmund nodded their agreement.

Rædwald turned to Strula after taking a sip of wine and said, “Prior to you joining us, we were discussing our half-sister, Judith.”

Strula placed his cup on the table and stated, “She is now married Earl Harold of Leicester.”

Rædwald nodded, “Yes to our disappointment.”

Strula asked, “Is not Harold campaigning for a reestablishment of Gavelkind Succession.”

Ealdmund finished drinking some wine and said, “Yes, He is a faction of one.”

Rædwald smirked, “He is barely a nuisance for now, but we must watch him closely.” Turning to Strula he said, “I will ask you, Chancellor on your next tour of the kingdom to pay special attention to the Earl of Leicester and see if you can alter his misdirected path.”

Strula responded, “Of course, milord as you wish.”

Rædwald smiled and said, “I knew I could rely upon you to do what is required.”

Strula became apologetic and said, “I beg your forgiveness you were speaking of Judith and I lead you on a different conversation.”

Rædwald took a sip of wine, and said, “We needed to discuss Earl Harold.” He then looked at Ealdmund.

Ealdmund also took a drink and responded, “Judith gave birth to a daughter whose was named Wulfrun. The child is now heir to the County.”

FneQUUm.png

Strula lifted his cup from the table and took a sip and with a slight grin, “And how does the good Earl of Leicester fare these days?”

Rædwald acted as if surprised by Strula’s question, “What do you infer my dear Chancellor?”

Strula grinned sinisterly and replied, “I mean no ill intent toward the earl. It is just the last time I visited him he was depressed. His hunchbacked condition weighed heavily on his mind as did the opinion of several physicians who stated with certainty due to his condition he could not sire any children.”

Rædwald raised his eye brows and looked at Ealdmund. The spymaster gave a knowing smile. The king returned his gaze to Strula thinking Damn, you can be rather cold blooded and bold. With a slight edge to his voice the king responded, “Do you suggest something about my sister Judith?”

Without any sign that he may have crossed a line Strula replied, “No, milord. She has given no indication that she has been anything other than entirely faithful.”

Rædwald took a sip of wine and said, “We shall not speak of this again.” The king again looked at Ealdmund and could see the spymaster was already thinking of ways to leverage such thoughts and information.

Rædwald put his cup down and motioned for a servant to refill the cup. Quickly and efficiently a servant not only refilled the king’s but also the other counselors. Once the servant was finished Rædwald asked, “What of Duke Hlothere of Mann and his idea that the Council should have more power?”

Ealdmund shrugged his shoulders, “Another nuisance of no consequences. A mere gnat.”

Rædwald took a sip of wine and looked at Ealdmund and said, “Do not become over confident. One gnat is no problem, but many gnats can drive a horse crazy.”

Ealdmund nodded as he sipped his wine, “Yes, milord, we shall be ever diligent.”

Strula took a long drink of wine and fidgeted in his seat. Rædwald noticed and said, “Chancellor it appears that you have something on my mind.”

Strula looked as if he was in pain and it took him a moment to speak. Rædwald thought to hurry him up, “Well out with it, man.”

Strula took another drink from his cup and placed it on the table. “Your treatment of the papal representative during his recent visit may not have been appropriate.”

Rædwald annoyed that his actions were being questioned replied, “You speak of Gerolamo di Chiaramonte, the so-called Chancellor of the Holy See?”

Strula nodded, “Yes, Sire. You were how do I say it rather abrupt with him.”

Rædwald laughed, “Abrupt. I should have run him out of the kingdom at the point of a spear. As many times as, he has been in attendance at my father’s court and mine he should know that arrogance and disrespect will not be tolerated.”

Strula was somewhat fearful, “He is still the representative of the Holy Father.”

Rædwald now truly annoyed and on the verge of yelling at Strula, “The only time he crawls out from under whatever scared rock he dwells under is to come here and demand gold from us and to take credit for what we have been doing for many years without Rome’s assistance.”

Strula was growing worried about the king’s continuing dislike of the pope, “The priests do work in the hospitals of Amounderess.”

Seeing Rædwald was about to explode Ealdmund stepped in and responded, “Yes they do because it is God’s work. And who do think pays for the supplies they use and who built the hospitals and maintains and expands them. It is the king. Why should he pay the pope for something he is already paying for?”

Strula backed down but replied, “I understand but it still troubles me.”

2lAcXMK.png

Somewhat calmer Rædwald grinned and said, “Do not trouble yourself. Pope Gregorius V will never excommunicate me. Doing so would be disastrous for his coffers. Excommunicating me places the entire kingdom under the decree. He would lose our annual royal donations and the gold collected by the bishops of the kingdom. How then could he afford his lifestyle that he has grown accustomed to as Holy Father?” A smirk was very prominent on the king’s face.

Not fully convinced Strula wisely decided to let the matter rest.

Rædwald finished his wine and placed his cup on the table. This time he did not request additional wine. Speaking to both Ealdmund and Strula he asked, “Has my brother the absent Steward of the kingdom responded to his summons?”

Ealdmund and Strula looked at each other hoping the other would answer. Finally, Strula responded, “No.”

Strula desperately looked at Ealdmund hoping the spymaster would come to his rescue.

Without any outward sign of emotion Rædwald asked, “The summons was delivered?”

Strula swallowed fearing what could be coming next, “Yes, sire.”

A hint of annoyance appeared in the king’s voice, “Then where is he?”

Strula flashed a cry for help to Ealdmund. At this point the spymaster agreed and felt he should takeover, “He claims that the war with England is requiring his presence in Gwynedd.”

Eye brows raised Rædwald responded, “The war requires his presence? A war he is losing badly? A war he should have won six months ago.”

Ealdmund did not wish to defend Hlothere but he also did not want to damn him, “Once the Galicians landed he was greatly outnumbered.”

Rædwald shook his head, “Excuses, excuses that is all they are. He moved too slowly after capturing Wilton and Ramsbury. He had King Ælfgar beaten. He knew the Galicians may be coming and should have stormed Sarum.”

Ealdmund knew he had to try to reason with the king. The war had severely strained the relationship between the two brothers. Hlothere bore most of the resentment feeling that Rædwald had baited him into the war.

The spymaster said, “The city was too well defended to storm without suffering unacceptable casualties.”

Rædwald’s now reflected his annoyance to the fullest, “He moved too slow after taking Ramsbury and that allowed Ealdmund Osheresson time to reinforce Sarum.”

Ealdmund sighed, “Yes, sire his lack of speed may have contributed to his eventual defeat but as the other wars England was involved in ended more and more of their levies could be brought against Hlothere.”

Rædwald smacked his right fist into his left palm startling Strula who nearly dropped his cup. The king retorted, “He wanted a command and he had one and as before he proved inept. He was out maneuvered by the English and the Galicians being defeated at first at Wilton and then at Taunton. He lost Wilton and Ramsbury and has been pursued across most of his duchy.”

Strula braved a remark, “The Galicians are no longer aiding the English. They have returned to Iberia to fight the heathens.”

With his anger nearing its peak Rædwald became red in the face said, “Even without the Galicians Hlothere’s army was nearly trapped and destroyed at Caernarfon. Did Hlothere take command of his leaderless army when it desperately needed a commander? No, he hid behind the walls of the city and let it be decimated. Now the English besiege Gloucester.”

RojRy1T.png

There was little more to be said on the matter. However, news had reached Ealdmund that perhaps could lessen the bleakness of the situation some.

The spymaster said, “Some additional information has come to me about the battle at Caernarfon.”

Skeptical Rædwald asked, “What information?”

Ealdmund looked at Rædwald and replied, “Oshere Ealdmundsson, father of King Ælfgar and Ealdmund Osheresson, Marshal of England was slain in battle by Mayor Oswulf of Shrewsbury.”

vYCNdAQ.png

The news did seem to lift Rædwald’s spirits some as the redness faded from his face and smile began to form.

Surprised Strula said, “I did not know Oshere had returned to England.”

Relieved that Rædwald was calming Ealdmund replied, “After his ill-fated attempt to seize the crown of Galicia and spending some time in King Diogo of Galicia’s dungeons he returned to his son’s court and eventually was appointed Court Chaplin and a commander.”

Fully smiling Rædwald said, “We should reward Mayor Oswulf.”

Ealdmund and Strula chuckled.

The smile disappeared and Rædwald became serious, “Since the Steward is absent I must ask both of you to assist in helping to introduce Eadweard to the court.”

Ealdmund smiled broadly and replied, “It would be my pleasure, Sire.”

Strula also smiling answered, “Mine also, Sire. And I would like to take this time to say how impressed I have been with Eadweard and his patience. I have observed him on numerous occasions taking great care to organize and perform the tasks given to him by his tutors.”

Full of pride Rædwald responded, “I shall pass your praise on to him.”

KOrwVwS.png

The king smiled and reached for one of the maps on the table. He arranged it to his satisfaction. Curious Ealdmund and Strula stood and walked over to Rædwald, each standing to one side of the king.

Looking down at the map Rædwald said, “Now, Lord Chancellor, the reason for which I summoned you here.”

Strula gazing at the map responded, “I gather since this is a map of Ireland that it involves the Irish.”

Rædwald chuckled, “You are very astute.”

Strula returned the chuckled.

The king pointed to a county and said, “I want a claim to Tuadhmhumhain and I want it before we press our claim on Dyflinn”

Strula stared at the map and nodded, “It shall be done, Sire.”

Rædwald smiled, “It is my pleasure to press both claims at the same time.”

Strula nodded “That is wise. Only have to raise the levies once.”

Pleased Rædwald moved away from the table and was preparing to leave but Ealdmund called him.

The spymaster began, “Sire, there is one last matter to discuss.”

Rædwald stopped and looked at Ealdmund, “What is this matter?”

In his most formal voice Ealdmund said, “We have confirmed the reports that your brother is a drunkard.”

Rædwald looked at Ealdmund out of the corner of his eye. Rædwald long suspected it.

Ealdmund continued, “He has been found several times passed out in his chambers. He has on numerous occasions neglected his duties as Earl of Gwent.”

Rædwald shook his head in disappointment, “He is Emrys’ problem. He is a vassal of the Duke of Deheubarth. Have you spoken to him?”

Ealdmund shook his head no, “I wish to speak with you first.”

Rædwald looked down at his feet. “I thank you for your discretion. You must inform Emrys at the earliest opportunity.”

Ealdmund nodded.

Rædwald smiled, “Now I must see the queen. We have much to do before introducing Eadweard to the court.”

Ealdmund and Strula bowed as the king exited the chambers.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well Hlothere is not doing his reputation any good is he?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great AAR, keep work on, mate!

Reactions:
Hlothere is good at overseeing a realm. Not so good at overseeing a war.

Is there any reason why you don't intervene on Hlothere's behalf, given the desire to cut England down to size? Just saving your levies for the attack on Ireland?

Reactions:
Well Hlothere is not doing his reputation any good is he?

His relationship with his brother is suffering as a result. Not that Rædwald is completely innocent. He has helped set Hlothere's mood.

Great AAR, keep work on, mate!

Thanks and welcome aboard.

Hlothere is good at overseeing a realm. Not so good at overseeing a war.

Is there any reason why you don't intervene on Hlothere's behalf, given the desire to cut England down to size? Just saving your levies for the attack on Ireland?

So far Hlothere has been a disaster as a military leader.

I could not intervene. There was no option to join the war. If I remember correctly the king cannot join a vassal's war against another kingdom. Since Rædwald was still in the cooling off period with England any declaration of war would have had a huge impact on his reputation.

Next chapter is almost ready. I again combined a couple of chapters and had to do a little more rewriting that I planned on. It should be done later tonight depending on what time the trick or treaters stop dropping by.

In the chapter we learn about Eadweard some and see how Rædwald's relationships with certain people are deteriorating. These declining relationships will come back to haunt him down the road.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.15.2 - May 1020 York
May 1020 York

Eadweard and Wulfhelm, son of Prince Hlothere, ran amongst the plants and pathways of the courtyard playing a game of cat and mouse. Out of breath the boys and stopped trying to catch their breaths while laughing. Both leaned forward with their hands on their knees.

kFZbm4G.png
RoOopA8.png

Eadweard laughed, “That was fun.”

Wulfhelm feigned anger and replied, “Only because you won.”

The boys laughed. Eadweard stood straight and said, “I am exhausted.”

Wulfhelm straighten up and answered, “What shall we do now?”

Eadweard looked at the sky and the clouds and replied, “Let’s find a place where we can see the clouds and what shapes they take.”

Wulfhelm nodded and smiled. The boys walked off into the courtyard.

S7b25P3.png

Rædwald stood on the balcony overlooking the courtyard frowning. As he watched the boys leave the courtyard he shook his head. Crístina joined him on the balcony. She cuddled up on his arm and said, “It was good while it lasted.”

Rædwald shook his head again and replied, “I have my concerns about him.”

Crístina said, “I seem to remember hearing at his age you were not too active. Your father had to drag you to go hunting and to be outdoors.”

Defensive Rædwald responded, “I spent my time in the library reading history and learning about the world around us. In the arts of war, I knew I was not like my father or grandfather. My skills with a bow were average at best, therefore hunting was frustrating for me. I missed my target far more times than I hit it. In battle my skills with a blade or spear are enough to keep me alive but I would never want to fight one on one.”

Crístina looked worried, “How are Eadweard’s skills?”

Rædwald sighed, “I know not.”

Concern and a flash of anger crossed the queen’s face, “Why do you not know? Is he not attending training or is there something else wrong?”

Rædwald sighed, “He is not always attending weapons training. On several occasions he has been found asleep in his chambers. On few others he was found avoiding the training.”

Crístina stepped away from her husband but still held his hand, “Have you spoken to him?”

Rædwald replied, “Several times. He promises to attend but then a few days later I am told he has missed training again.”

Crístina rubbed her forehead, “Are there other lessons he is missing?”

Rædwald frowned, “I have similar reports from almost all his tutors of the same problem. In addition, they report that when he is in attendance he does not listen and many times but little effort into his lessons.”

Crístina now looked at the courtyard below and asked, “What is being done to impress upon Eadweard that his lessons are important?”

Rædwald turned and looked at his queen and replied, “I hope that the introduction ceremony and what happens afterwards puts a fear of God in him.”

Crístina rubbed her chin and said, “Perhaps I should speak with him. He is also heir of my Petty Kingdom of Mide and I can express my concerns to him.”

Rædwald nodded, “I had hoped you would do so. Perhaps he will listen to you.”

Crístina looked again at the courtyard and then down to floor, “Do you feel that Wulfhelm may be a bad influence upon him?

Surprised Rædwald asked, “Why do you asked?”

Crístina hesitated and then replied, “I know that Wulfhelm is considered lazy by many here and in Anglesey.”

Rædwald thought for a moment and responded, “He could be.”

Crístina frowned, “Perhaps then you should forbid him from seeing Wulfhelm.”

Rædwald became melancholy as he remembered being Eadweard’s age. After a deep breath the king replied, “He needs a friend. This is a very hard age for someone in his place.”

Crístina looked confusingly at Rædwald. Seeing her look Rædwald continued.

“Until I was 12 years old I lived with my mother and siblings in Warwick. For many years King Eilif tried unsuccessfully to convince my mother to move here. Finally stating as crown prince my place was here in court in York my father ordered my mother to either move here with myself and my brothers and sisters if she did not oblige his order then I alone would move from Warwick to York.”

Rædwald paused seemingly remembering something unpleasant. The king continued.

“I came here at age 12 alone. My only friend Hlothere was back in Warwick. Those years before my mother and Hlothere moved here we some of the loneliest I can remember.”

Rædwald looked at Crístina, “I cannot deny him a friend. I cannot make him alone like I was.”

Crístina let go of Rædwald’s hand and caressed his cheek. She smiled, “I understand.”

She turned and walked off the balcony. Just before she exited she turned and gave Rædwald a seductive grin.

Rædwald watched her leave. Alone on the balcony Rædwald again looked over the courtyard hoping to catch a glimpse of Eadweard. Not seeing him he turned and briskly walked off the balcony in pursuit of his wife.

Laughing and playfully pushing one another as they walked down the pathways Eadweard and Wulfhelm came to a sudden stop. Before them on a bench watching the waters dance in the fountain was a girl about their age. By the style and make of her garments she was clearly not one of the daughters of the servants or other workers of the keep.

Wulfhelm grabbed Eadweard by the arm stopping him in his tracks. Wulfhelm seeing that Eadweard was enthralled with the girl leaned over to him and in a low voice asked, “Do you know who that is?”

Without taking his eyes off the girl and shook his and almost inaudibly replied, “No.”

Taking a measure of delight in knowing something his friend did not, Wulfhelm paused. Seeing that Eadweard was becoming anxious for a reply Wulfhelm said, “That is the Countess Katarina.”

Surprised and with a look of disbelief Eadweard said, “So that is the Countess of Hereford.”

qyrGU66.png

Wulfhelm chuckled, “What did you expect of her, green skin and sharp teeth?”

Eadweard looked at Wulfhelm and in a serious tone replied, “The way my father and Ealdmund speak of her, something like that.”

Wulfhelm laughed, “As you can see, she is not.” Wulfhelm rubbed his chin and continued, “Now from I hear her mother and regent Hafrid could be who they were describing.”

Both boys laughed, and their laughter caught Katarina’s attention. She looked shyly at the them. Eadweard blushed and Wulfhelm smiled and waved at her.

Seeing Eadweard’s reaction Wulfhelm grinned and asked, “Shall I introduce you?”

Enthusiastically Eadweard replied, “Yes.”

Wulfhelm chuckled, “Slow down there. She is betrothed to our cousin Wulfstan son of our late Uncle Sigfrið, Earl of Gloucester.”

The boys walked toward Katarina. The countess did her best to pretend she not notice them. When they arrived and stood before her, she looked at Wulfhelm and in a toneless voice said, “Wulfhelm Hlotheresson.”

Wulfhelm replied in his formal voice, “Milady.”

Looking at Eadweard Katarina asked, “Who is your friend?”

Wulfhelm held out his hands toward Eadweard, “This is Eadweard son of Rædwald.”

Katarina smiled, “Ah, the crown prince.” Bowing her head slightly she said, “It is so good to finally meet you.”

Blushing Eadweard stumble through his reply, “The pleasure is all mine.”

Katarina laughed, “You are quite a charmer, cousin.”

Eadweard looked confused. In all his father’s talks about her he never mentioned that she was a cousin.

“Cousin?”

Katarina laughed again, “Did you not learn of your family?”

Eadweard was somewhat embarrassed. He remembered when his tutor spoke of his family history, but he thought it was unimportant, so he did not pay attention. He may have even fell asleep.

Katarina gave Eadweard an odd look and said, “We are both of the House of Hvitserk. Therefore, you realize that we are related to some degree?”

Eadweard stumbled, “I, ah, yes of course.”

Katarina was shocked and disappointed. The future king did not his linage, “Your great grandfather King Sigfrið and my grandfather Prince Totil were brothers making us second cousins once removed.”

Eadweard gave a fake smile and shook his head yes, and replied, “Of course I knew that.”

Katarina gave him a disbelieving look. She was about to reply when the stern voice of woman called out, “Countess Katarina.”

All three froze. Katarina stood and looked passed Eadweard and Wulfhelm. She curtsied and said, “It was nice to meet you, Prince Eadweard, and nice to see you again Wulfhelm.”

She then stepped between the two boys and toward the woman standing on the pathway o the other side of the fountain.

Eadweard began to protest but Wulfhelm stopped him by grabbing his arm. Eadweard glared at Wulfhelm and pushed Wulfhelm’s hand off his arm.

As Katarina walked across the plaza Wulfhelm said in a low voice, “Her mother and Regent, Hafrid.”

Eadweard and Wulfhelm watch Katarina and Hafrid walk out of the plaza. Wulfhelm looked at Eadweard and put his fists on his waist and glared at Eadweard, “I cannot believe you do not know our family history. Even I know it.”

Eadweard shrugged his shoulders. He still didn’t see the importance of it. After a moment Wulfhelm’s mask of seriousness fell off and he began laughing. Eadweard joined in. The two boys continued on their way laughing and slapping one another on the back.

As Katarina and Hafrid walked across the plaza toward the keep Hafrid said, “You have met the Crown Prince. What are your thoughts of him?”

0mnLNPF.png

Katarina thought for a moment and then responded, “At first I was intrigued but that view quickly changed.”

Hafrid was curious and asked, “What changed your mind?”

Katarina stopped walking and looked at her mother. “He did not know our family linage. He did not know how we were related. Worst of all he did not care. How can he be king if he does not know and respect his family?”

Hafrid grinned evilly, “Someday he will be your king.”

Katarina stood silent thinking. She looked down at the ground trying to understand the feelings that were washing over her. “Troubles and uncertainty will come to the kingdom when he takes the throne.”

Hafrid smiled and took her daughter by the shoulders and said, “My child you are wise beyond your years.”

Katarina smiled. Rarely did her mother compliment her.

Hafrid continued, “His reign will be like his father’s with greed, mistrust, and deceit. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.”

Confused Katarina looked at Hafrid and said, “I understand not. Under King Rædwald none will challenge us.”

Hafrid frowned realizing her daughter was still young and naïve. No better time than the present for a lesson. “How do you think the kingdom became so strong?”

Katarina replied sheepishly fearing her answer would be wrong, “We have defeated England, Scotland, and the Irish lords in war and through the wisdom of King Rædwald.”

Hafrid almost laughed out load. Her voice dripped with venom as she replied, “It was on the back of your father Sumarliði and his military skills that defeated the revolt of Countess Maria and, defeated the English and the Irish. What was your father’s reward? Nothing. Rædwald did not make him Marshal as he promised many times. He only made your father Earl of Hereford after the other lords pressured him to give your father some type of reward.”

Katarina was confused and concerned, “Why would King Rædwald act in such a manner?”

Hafrid replied quickly and with hatred in her tone, “Jealousy.”

Katarina asked, “Jealousy of what?”

Hafrid leaned into Katarina’s face and replied, “Your father’s success and popularity amongst the nobles.”

Katarina looked down and in low voice said, “I did not know.”

Hafrid stood straight and mockingly asked, “I guess you do not know it was King Rædwald who had your father murdered.”

Katarina looked up at her mother surprised, “I have heard the rumors, but it has never been proven.”

Hafrid shook her head, “I know that Rædwald ordered the deed.”

Katarina asked, “Then why have you not said so publicly.”

Hafrid laughed, “One does not accuse a king lightly especially this one. You are likely to be thrown in the dungeon or found with your throat slit.”

Katarina stared back at her mother with her eyes wide open with shock.

Hafrid continued, “See what has happened to Prince Hjalmar.”

Katarina nodded, “He is in the dungeon here.”

Hafrid looked at Katarina and said, “He spoke out against the poor rule of his brother and was arrested. He will most likely meet an assassin’s blade someday.”

Katarina was shocked, “Do you mean King Rædwald would order his brother killed?”

Hafrid put her right hand on Katarina’s shoulder and replied, “Of course he would. Anyone who dares oppose him will meet an untimely end. There are rumors circulating throughout the kingdom that Rædwald already plots Hjalmar’s death.”

Katarina shook her head as her mother released her shoulder, “It cannot be.”

Hafrid started to walk toward the keep, “I fear it is so. Do you think Eadweard will be any different. He is his father’s son and will follow in Rædwald’s footsteps. The only difference is Eadweard is not as smart as his father. He will bring ruin to the kingdom.”

Walking beside her mother Katarina replied, “Perhaps Eadweard should not become king.”

Hafrid smiled as they entered the keep, “That is truly something to think about.”

• 1Love
Reactions: