• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7.11.1 - July 1014 York
Chapter 7.11

July 1014 York

Standing at the open windows of his chambers Rædwald read the letter again, hoping against hope that the words would somehow change, but they did not. The refreshing spring breeze nearly blew the letter out his hand. He gripped it tighter and turned away from the window. He walked into the center of the room and gazed about. Some coals still glowed in the hearth leftover from the fire the night before. One of his servants had left a pitcher of wine and some bread on the table between the two high back chairs that dominated the center of the room.

Longing to rest his suddenly weary body Rædwald moved toward the chair he normally sat upon. Nearly there when the door to the chamber flew open and Crístina hurriedly entered the room. Despite his melancholy he was able to smile at his wife. It was not a fake smile but a smile founded in love and togetherness they had long enjoyed. His outburst a few months ago at Wulfwaru had strained their relationship but they had since reconciled.

Rædwald slowed and Crístina hugged him as she reached him. Rædwald returned her hug at first not realizing how much he needed it. Holding her close began to ease his mood somewhat. She broke the hug and stepped back sliding her hands into his hands. As she guided him to his chair she said, “Your secretary informed me that you had received a distressful letter. I came to comfort you.”

She knelt before him still holding his hands. It was then that Rædwald knew he dropped the letter. Spying it on the floor he thought about rising and retrieving it but then recognized that he needed to speak of its contents. Choking back tears he said, “My brother Prince Sigfrið, Earl of Gloucester is dead.”

With that he pulled his hands away from his wife and buried his head in them sobbing. Crístina rose and walked to his side. She put one arm about his shoulders and neck and pulled him close to her. Rædwald lifted his head from his hands and as her buried it in her belly he wrapped his arms about her waist. Crístina patted him on the back and said, “We all knew some day the Great Pox would take him.”

Rædwald pulled his head away from her body and looked up at her. She could she the marks left by tears running through his beard. He shook his head and said, “It was not the Great Pox. No it was Camp Fever.”

z1Sx2a8.png

Caught off guard some Crístina asked, “His wife, Thordis, was with child. Has the babe been born?”

Regaining some of his composure Rædwald pulled out of Crístina’s grasp and sat back in the chair. Crístina stepped away from the chair as Rædwald responded, “No the baby should be born next month.”

Crístina sat in the other chair and said, “Then his barely two year old daughter Mildrith is now Countess of Gloucester.”

MB0ZIJX.png

Feeling sorry for the girl Rædwald nodded, “She and her regent s will have a tough time. Not only does she inherit a county suffering from the epidemic of Camp Fever she inherits a war with King Ælfgar of England over her father’s claim to Wiltshire that Sigrið started in April.”

paaGGpR.png

Sadness came over Crístina like a very heavy weight. Almost fearing the answer she asked, “Is the epidemic that dreadful?”

Knowing there was no way to soften the response Rædwald replied, “From the reports I have been given the illness is rampant in the counties where it has appeared. It takes both poor and rich, peasant and noble with no thought to status. It has spread like wildfire. From Glamorgan and Dyfed it has infested Gloucester, Gwynedd, and Somerset in England. Before long all of Wales, western England, and most likely Cornwall will be teeming with victims of the illness. Hlothere departed here and returned to Anglesey and is now in seclusion with his family and his court fearful of stepping outside the keep and risk infection.”

As she listened to her husband Crístina felt sad and sick. She could not remove the image of the dead and dying that Rædwald’s words had conjured in her mind. “We should pray for God’s help and the Church’s help.”

Rædwald laughed. Lately he held little faith in the Church and its hierarchy. “The Church cannot guide itself lately. It will be of little help. Many are concerned over the death of Pope Lucius II only four months after being installed as Pope. Many believe the new pope Honorius II had a hand in the death. Few believe that Lucius died from an apoplexy from the stress of being the Holy Father as the supporters of Honorius claim.”

dhFjOlZ.png

Crístina looked at her husband.To her it seem that the lines in face had grown deeper the past few months. She felt that he was taking on too many burdens and at times affected his decisions. With Hlothere in Gwynedd Rædwald had lost his confidant and closest advisor and she knew that without someone to talk with the stress was getting to him. She knew that she needed to become his new confidant and that in order to do so she needed to draw him out.

To start she asked, “What are your intentions with Sumarliði?”

Rædwald had not expected this question, “What of Sumarliði?”

Trying to sound trusting Crístina replied, “He mocks you.”

Amused Rædwald said, “How does he mock me?”

Hoping her husband was toying with her she replied, “You appoint him to command your armies and he rewards your trust with forming factions against you.”

Rædwald knew what Crístina was attempting to do and he truly appreciated it. He now realized that with Hlothere absent he did need someone else to confide in.

He replied, “I appoint him because he is a good commander. When raiders from Hälsingland landed in Gloucester. Sumarliði defeated them and chased them from our lands.

axGea4w.png
Z2SL5uN.png

His factions are harmless. The Sumarliði for Jorvik faction is a faction of one, himself. As is the Gavelkind Succession faction. I suspect his wife is more likely the one behind the factions.”

Not truly knowing all about the politics of the kingdom learning this information made Crístina less apprehensive.

Rædwald at that moment felt blessed. He had heard stories of how his grandfather King Sigfrið and grandmother Queen Emma had truly loved one another, of how she became his greatest advisor, and how they protected one another. Perhaps this the first step toward that kind of love and marriage.

Rædwald said, “You do not understand how much it warms my heart to know that you care and worry about me.”

Crístina smiled deeply, “And you gladden my heart by letting me show you how much I care.”

Rædwald was enjoying the moment but he did notice that Crístina still appeared to be internally struggling with something.

“What still troubles you, my wife?” he asked.

Crístina knew the subject she wished to discuss was sensitive to Rædwald. It was something lately he did not want to have a conservation about.

She hesitated and then began, “It is a matter that I know concerns and hurts you deeply and I am reluctant to speak of it.”

Rædwald laughed, “There is only one topic for which you speak and that would be my brother Swæfræd and his newest bastard with Eadflæd.”

Feeling more relaxed now that Rædwald had begun the conversation she responded, “Yes it about him and his baby girl they named Æthelhid. His continued affair with Eadflæd is not tasteful and even less tasteful is he did not acknowledge the baby as his.”

cJ4FfHE.png
w6ztISI.png

Rædwald nodded. He had become indifferent to his brothers constant affairs and bastards they produced. He said, “If you are hoping I know what to do about him and his affairs I am at a loss. All that we have tried in the past has not curtailed him. I truly doubt anything will bring him under control.”

Crístina shook her head and said, “I fear they will be the death of him.”

Rædwald nodded and replied, “So do I, so do I.”

Bambrugh, County of Northumbria

The wind out of the north had a dark feel about it as it blew past Prince Hjalmar standig on the ramparts of his keep overlooking the sea, waiting. He did not wait long before his Court Physician, Alfr joined him.

Hjalmar looked at Alfr and asked, “Well?”

Alfr looked out to the sea and replied, “It is as I feared, milord. The illness is consumption. There are many cases here in the city and throughout the county. Many have died and many more will. We are hearing of cases in County Durham.”

Hjalmar then looked out to the sea and said, God, help us.”

I39UlpO.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh great, more disease

Of course it has to be a "good" brother who dies, and not the "bad" one

Reactions:
Yeesh... stacking diseases. Both in outbreaks and in people... At least there's a chance to take land from England. Can you offer to help in that war without truce breaking? Or are you unable to because technically he's Hlothere's vassal?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh great, more disease

Of course it has to be a "good" brother who dies, and not the "bad" one

That is the CKII way. It never fails that the game leaves you with the problem brother (vassal).

Yeesh... stacking diseases. Both in outbreaks and in people... At least there's a chance to take land from England. Can you offer to help in that war without truce breaking? Or are you unable to because technically he's Hlothere's vassal?

One disease coming from the south and the other coming from the north and Jorvik stuck in between. Oh joy. As the diseases progress some counties get hit by both. It is enough to bring out the funeral pyres animation.

I tried to join the war but since he is not my direct vassal no luck. Rats!

I am working on the next entry. It is taking me some time to get the chapter the way I want it. About half of it is still in rough draft format. Part of the problem is it comprises subject matter I had not written before in detail so getting a feel for it has involved several rewrites and do overs. Not sure when I will get it posted. I will work on it some tonight. Tomorrow is a respite day for us and we plan to drive out to Lancaster County and Amish Country for the day. Hope is to come back recharged and a little heavier from a good hearty Pennsylvania Dutch dinner.

In the next chapter the epidemics take hold and begin to upset the best laid plans. A big change is coming for the royal family and its implications will be far reaching.

Reactions:
An intimate chapter showing the growing bond between king and consort. Important for the weal of the realm. Those diseases ravaging the land don’t look good though and I suspect we’ll hear more of them

The refreshing spring breeze nearly blew the letter out his hand. He gripped it tighter and turned away from the window. He walked into the center of the room and gazed about. Some coals stil

Some coals still glowed in the hearth leftover from the fire the night before
pretty sure that July is high summer, even in York lol so no ‘spring’ breezes or need for fires at night. Small point of order ;)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
An intimate chapter showing the growing bond between king and consort. Important for the weak of the realm. Those diseases ravaging the land don’t look good though and I suspect we’ll hear more of them

Thanks, I was trying to capture some of their relationship. It will be important in future chapters.

pretty sure that July is high summer, even in York lol so no ‘spring’ breezes or need for fires at night. Small point of order ;)

In an early version of the chapter it was set in the spring. Somehow this got left in there.:oops::D

Reactions:
Chapter 7.11.2 - November 1014 York
November 1014 York

Laying in his bed Rædwald opened his eyes and glimpsed upon the face of his queen sitting on his left side. Smiling she held his hands to her cheek. In her smile he found warmth and comfort. As the effects wore off from the drugged wine he had been given, he began to feel pain in his upper right arm from the procedure.

Turning to his right and through foggy vision he saw the Court Physician, Aharon of Mistretta cleaning and placing the tools of his trade into his satchel. Seeing that the king was looking at him Aharon smiled and said, “the bleeding went well, Your Highness. Your humors should be balanced in a day or so. For now you need to rest and eat.”

KEuYWC0.png

A cough wracked the king and he shot an angry glare at Aharon. Rædwald was never a believer in bleeding and resisted all suggestions and attempts to him to agree to the treatment. After the constant pressure applied by Crístina, Wulfgar, and Aharon he reluctantly agreed to the procedure. Fears that he had made a mistake increased with every cough.

Aharon knew he had to quickly reassure the king or his status and reputation would be diminished. Aharon said, “The cough is normal. The treatment takes time to run its course. In a few days you will see the cough will lessen.”

Not at all convinced Rædwald tried to relax. He clasped his hands on his stomach and Crístina quickly placed her hands over his and said, “See, my husband you will be well in a few days.”

As his doubts continued to mount Rædwald looked back at Aharon and asked, “You are sure your diagnosis was correct?”

The king’s question annoyed Aharon who believed he was above reproach when it came to his craft. It was he who had the training and the knowledge. To him other physicians were only pretenders. If other physicians were not his equal on what account did Rædwald have to challenge his diagnosis? He responded defiantly, “Yes, Your Grace. You contracted Food Poisoning. Either you ate something bad in Scone at the wedding feast for your cousin Guðrun and King Ewan III of Scotland or on the voyage home. When you left York there were no cases of consumption and there were no illness in Scone. Therefore there can be no other diagnosis.”

qetIScT.png
jxeEm2h.png

o94rF6Z.png

Rædwald was sure there was more to be said. He could tell in the way Aharon spoke and that he had said there was no sickness in York when he had left for Scotland. Why say that unless something had changed. Annoyed he would have to pry for information Rædwald said, “You say there was no sickness in York prior to our voyage to Scotland. Is there sickness here now?”

Aharon looked at Crístina and she at him. Neither wanted to upset him but in their silence only inflamed him more. Sensing something was amiss Rædwald ordered sternly, “Tell me!”

Knowing her husband Crístina concluded that she must say something. She knew he would find out in the end and hold it against them for not being honest with him. Taking a deep breath she responded, “Consumption is here in York and the surrounding county.”

Fearing such news Rædwald closed his eyes and as he took a deep breath he opened them and asked, “Where else?”

Crístina hesitated and then began, “Besides being confirmed here in York and Northumbria and Durham there are definite cases in Cumberland, Westmorland, Amounderness, Lindsey, and Derby. There have been some reported illness in Chester, Leicester, and Dunbar in English Lothian.”

Epidemics Rædwald feared them greatly. While there had not been a major epidemic in Jorvik in several generations Rædwald knew of their devastation from tales from France and East Francia. The last thing he wanted was to see such suffering happen in his kingdom. With great reluctance he asked, “What of the camp fever?”

Crístina lost some of her liveliness and confidence. She truly did not wish to discuss the sickness that had taken such a heavy toll already. The loss of Prince Sigfrið still weighed heavily on both Rædwald and her. Working up he best diplomatic voice she replied, “It too spreads.”

Rædwald closed his eyes and Crístina hoped he would drift off, but to her dismay he opened them. He then said, “I know it was entrenched in Glamorgan, Dyfed, Gloucester, Gwynedd, and Somerset in England. Where else has the suffering spread to?”

It was Aharon who responded, “It has spread to Hereford, Powys, Worcester, Shropshire, Perfeddwlad, and Gwent. In England Dorset, and Wiltshire. All of the Petty Kingdom of Cornwall is inflicted.”

Rædwald again closed his eyes. Crístina at first thought he was in pain and was about to call to Aharon but then realized that he was agonizing over the news.

S7KS0k8.png

Seeing the king was not in pain and no longer needed him Aharon closed his stachel. He bowed and left the chambers.

Rædwald opened his eyes and sighed loudly. In a melancholy tone he spoke, “Poor Worcester. It was not so long ago we visited there to witness and partake in how well the county was prospering.”

jUGVqud.png

Crístina squeezed his hands a couple of times and he relaxed and closed his eyes. Trying to think of something good to discuss Crístina said, “Sigfrið’s son Wulfstan is doing well.”

Xpla9uV.png

As soon as the words left her lips she thought it may have been a mistake mentioning the birth of Sigfrið’s son while Rædwald still grieved. Looking at his eyes moistening she knew it has been. Rædwald confirmed it by saying, “It is sad that he was born after his father’s death. I must do something for him when he is older…” He looked at Crístina an smiled, “... You will remind me.”

She smiled and squeezed his hands as he closed his eyes, “I will.”

With a smile on his face Rædwald drifted off to sleep.

Showing little effects of the food poisoning and treatment over the last month Rædwald stood in the strategy room leaning on the map table. Over the course of the last week a slight cough had begun. At first Rædwald ignored it but it had become more frequent the past few days. He finally mentioned it to Aharon who felt it was nothing to worry about but if continued another bleeding session may be needed. Still not totally convinced that bleeding worked Rædwald was hesitant to agree. He did have to admit after the bleeding he had been feeling better which is the only reason he even considered the possibility of another treatment.

Rædwald looked at the Court Chaplin Bishop Wulfgar the only member of the King’s Counsel still residing in York. Over the last month and even before then, the other Counselors had left York for their own duchies or cities. They all had secluded themselves within their keeps or strongholds hoping to ride out the sicknesses in isolation. Rædwald has contemplated closing the gates of the keep but as he watched events in the lands where leaders had done so the reaction of those left outside of the lord’s sanctuary were worrying. In a few places uprisings seemed to be smoldering.

Rædwald regarded his Council and realized how much he missed the other members of the Council at this particularly his brother Hlothere. Wulfgar may have been the Court Chaplin and a bishop but his personal life was anything but holy. Rumors abounded of secret lovers and lies to cover up his illicit affairs. While Rædwald had seen Wulfgar take his spiritual and religious duties serious in public his behind closed doors behavior concerned Rædwald lately.

It was now that the king required good solid advice. There still were communications with the sequestered Councilors but it was a long and tedious processes. Couriers had to be found that would travel through the sickened lands and carry correspondence back and forth between the king and Counselors or from Counselor to Counselor. Sometimes the courier never reached his destination. Some contracted one of the epidemics or fell victim to foul play. As the sicknesses ravaged the lands in some places law and order broke down. The County of Chester had been hit very hard by the camp fever and if rumors were to be believed consumption, many towns and villages were empty or mere shadows of their former selves. Bandits and people just trying to survive prowled the roads and paths looking for food and/or plunder and without watches the travelways had become precarious. Only heavily armed groups could move through the county with impunity. As a consequence Mayor Strula of Macclesfield, the Chancellor, had not been heard from in some time.

Wulfgar looked at the king. Fearing for the king, the Court Chaplin was desperate and was pleading. “Your grace, You are still recovering from the bought of food poisoning. You still need time to regain your strength. Is traveling to Ros Comáin so important to risk your health? I must agree with the queen and court physician in this matter.”

Standing straight Rædwald looked at the court chaplin, “We were invited to attend the coronation. Not going would be taken as an insult.”

Wulfgar knew that respect and honor were important to Rædwald but the bishop did not want his sovereign dying attending what he considered an inferior kingdom, “Were you not suzerain to King Rogallach before his death and now are you not suzerain of the newly elected King Natfraich?”

Q5Kq8ne.png

0BdvqQh.png

Not sure where Wulfgar was taking the conversation Rædwald said, “The Kingdom of Connachta is tributary to us. You know that so what is your point?”

Wulfgar knew he had to play to the king’s ego, “As a tributary should they not come to you? If you go to them does that not make you appear weaker, as if you are answering to their call when it should be the other way around?”

Wulfgar had given Rædwald something to think on but the king still had doubts. Rædwald said, “What of respect? Natfraich is a king and should be treated accordingly.”

Wulfgar knew he was winning, “He is a king true, but is the King of Connachta equal of the KIng of Jorvik? Can he demand the respect and adulations that you can?”

Rædwald laughed, “When you say it in those terms I see your point. That still does not resolve the issue of the invitation. Who shall I send in my stead? Those who sit on Council are now behind the walls of their keeps.”

Proud of himself Wulfgar for making the king agree with him the bishop suggested, “ Perhaps Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia? Her lands are unscathed by the sicknesses and she a pretty young lady.”

Knowing of Wulfgar’s vice Rædwald found himself laughing again, “You would be one to notice how pretty she was.”

Without warning the king’s laughter deformed into a cough. The cough became deep and violent. The king’s face began to turn red and his eyes seemed to bulge from their sockets. In a matter of moments the king doubled over and fell to one knee. Wulfgar rushed to him. The bishop managed to grab him before the king fell fully to the ground. The coughing subsided and the king wiped his mouth with his sleeve. To both Rædwald and Wulfgar’s dismay there was now blood on his sleeve.

Rædwald just stared at the blood and did not move. He suddenly felt too weak to move. Wulfgar helped the king to stand and in doing so noticed Rædwald sweating. Slowly Wulfgar guided the king to one of the chairs surrounding the table. Rædwald sat heavily into the chair.

They made it just in time another coughing spell wracked Rædwald. Once it was finished there was more blood on the sleeve. Wulfgar was becoming frantic. He called for the guards. A guard entered and bowed.

Doing a poor job of trying not to panic Wulfgar ordered, “Go find the physician.”

The guard looked at the king and froze. Wulfgar raised his voice, “The king is in need of the Court Physician. Go and find him now!”

The guard snapped out of his stupor and ran from the room.

Rædwald could not hold his head up and slumped in the chair. In a weak voice he said, “I am cold, so cold.”

Wulfgar swallowed hard. The hearth in the room was full burning and pumping out heat. The room was comfortable on the border of being too warm. Wulfgar felt the king and he felt feverish. The bishop found a fur laying on another table and threw it over the now shivering king.

Wulfgar was on the verge of hysteria. Cough with blood, fever, and chills. This does not bode well.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Wulgar makes fine points on the appearance of status. Rædwald should send someone, but not go himself.

Not that he'll be able to, anyway, what with the consumption he's contracted.

Reactions:
Not good at all.

Disease is no respector of rank.

Reactions:
Oh dear oh dear. Very well written account of the ravages of disease on the land and even more the king’s succumbing. I’ve got a bad feeling about this

Reactions:
Wulgar makes fine points on the appearance of status. Rædwald should send someone, but not go himself.

Not that he'll be able to, anyway, what with the consumption he's contracted.

This disease is going to be changing many plans as you will see in future chapters.

Not good at all.

Disease is no respector of rank.

Yes not good. I am afraid it is going to get ugly.

Oh dear oh dear. Very well written account of the ravages of disease on the land and even more the king’s succumbing. I’ve got a bad feeling about this

Thanks! Your bad feeling is justified but not quite in the way you are thinking.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.11.3 - December 1014 York
December 1014 York

The last few days had been a living hell for Crístina watching her husband laying in his bed suffering. Every bout of coughing sapped more and more of his strength. His level of discomfort ranged from one extreme to another, one moment shivering, the next burning up. For the moment he slept soundly. A potion given to him by Aharon was providing relief at the expense of his consciousness.

Only Crístina, Aharon, and a few select servants were permitted in the king’s chambers with him. Guards stood vigilant outside the doors to prevent any unwanted persons from entering. All were being told that the king suffered from the flu but with illness running rampant through the streets of York many made their own assumptions.

Rædwald’s children were being kept far from him. No chances were being taken with the future of the crown. Seven year old Eadweard, the Crown Prince was basically under house arrest. Keeping him from contracting the king’s illness was not the only concern. With the uncertainty of the king’s recovery there was the distressing possibility that Eadweard would be the subject of some unsavory plot.

Such were the troubles of the Queen of Jorvik and Mide as she sat next to her husband’s bed holding his hand. Before her stood Aharon.

The Court Physician looked down at the queen and said, “It is consumption, milady.”

Choking back tears the distraught queen asked, “Are you sure?”

Not liking his opinion being challenged Aharon answered quickly, “I have confirmed it beyond any doubt the king suffers from consumption.”

Di2NUtS.png

Desperate and feeling the need to lash out Crístina said, “You were sure it was food poisoning and that bleeding would cure him. Now you say it is consumption. Which is it?”

Trying to maintain his outward appearance of calm Aharon inwardly seethed at the queen’s accusations of him misdiagnosing Rædwald. “Both, milady.”

Crístina was beginning to think that Aharon had no clue of what he was doing. She raised her eyebrows as she said, “Both?”

Requiring even more energy to control himself Aharon responded, “Yes, milady. The king contracted food poisoning from the trip to Scotland and he was cured. However during his recovery time he was exposed to consumption and just recently being sick he was very susceptible to becoming afflicted with consumption.”

Aharon breathed a sigh of relief seeing that the queen appeared to accept his explanation. She looked at the sleeping Rædwald who at that moment coughed several times. She squeezed his hand with both of her hands and said, “What can be done?”

Returning to air of superiority Aharon replied, “He is beyond the point where further bleeding can help. I have, however, heard of a treatment that has been known to help. I myself have not used it but I am sure I can master it.”

Crístina nodded, “Master it quickly, physician.I fear it may be needed soon.” She leaned over and placed her cheek against her hands that held his hands.

Wordlesly Aharon nodded and exited the room. He had much to learn and master in a short time.

zDzUY1K.png

Rædwald was having doubts once again as he laid on the cold stone table that Aharon used as a treatment platform. Despite the potion that Aharon’s assistant had given him a cough found its way into the king’s chest and throat. Laying in bed unable to anything except cough hsi life away the last couple of weeks had convinced the king that something had to be done.

When Aharon first proposed the treatment Rædwald was firmly against it. As he weaken so did his reluctance to the treatment. Rædwald knew much more was at stake than just his life. Eadweard was too young to rule on his own and the kingdom could not suffer a regency at this time. Rædwald knew there were few, Hlothere, Emrys, and Ealdmund, he could trust to watch over and protect the young prince. Others, Hjalmar, Sumarliði, and Åke would plot for their own gains at the expense of the young prince and the kingdom. Foes from outside the kingdom would line up against him.

In the end Rædwald knew he had to try everything and anything to survive. He listened to the choices Aharon presented, to their benefits and their risks. With desperation setting in Rædwald chose the treatment that promised the quickest and fullest cure but it came with the greatest risks. Now the King of Jorvik lay on a cold slab waiting at the hands of the Court Physician.

Aharon entered the room carrying several vessels and instruments. He began laying out the instruments on a wood table. He opened several of the vessels and scooped out some of the paste from each and placed the globs in predetermined piles.

One of his assistants approached him. Aharon stopped working with the pastes and turned to the assistant, “Did you mix the potion as I instructed?”

The assistant nodded, “Yes, lord physician, I followed your instructions to the letter.”

Aharon normally would prepare every aspect of a treatment but given the amount of preparation required for this treatment Aharon had his most trusted assistant prepare the potion necessary so Rædwald would not feel any part of the treatment. The assistant had aided him many times before in the preparation of the potion so Aharon did not worry. However he never missed an opportunity to exhibit his superiority, “I pray that you did, otherwise the consequences could be dire.”

The assistant swallowed hard going over the steps in his head and reassuring himself that he followed them. Before he could finish Aharon spoke again, “You have administered it to the king?”

The assistant nodded, “Yes, lord physician a half and an hour ago.”

Aharon returned to his instruments and pastes and ordered, “Check to see that it has taken effect.”

The assistant nodded and walked over to the slumbering king. He grasped the king’s arm and lifted it. In his other hand he held a needle. He took the needle and jabbed the exposed skin on the arm. Seeing and hearing no reaction from the king he placed the arm back down. He turned to Aharon and said, “It has taken effect.”

The king was startled by someone taking his arm. He soon felt the prick of a needle. He tried to pull the arm away but it would not follow his command. No matter how hard he tried he could not remove it away from the point that pricked his skin. He tried to call out but no voice came. His lips and tongue would not respond. Sudden terror filled the king. He could not move or cry out but he was awake and could feel everything.

Aharon turned toward the king and ordered, “Turn him on his side and lift his shirt up.”

Several assistants rolled Rædwald on his side and one lifted his shirt to his shoulders. All the while Rædwald tried to scream and move to defend himself without success.

Aharon reached onto the table and retrieved a drill like instrument. He leaned over Rædwald’s back and back to work. As he did so he said, “First you must make a hole for the sauve.”

As Aharon drilled into his back, Rædwald felt the excruciating pain which he could not escape from.

Aharon directed an assistant to clean the hole in Rædwald’s back. As the assistant worked Aharon gathered the paste from different piles and mixed them. He rolled them together between his palms and shaped it into a tube. He returned to the hole and stuffed the paste into it saying, “Now we add the medicine.”

As the medicine was placed the pain subsided. Then without warning the wound began to burn. A burn that was white hot unlike any that Rædwald ever experienced.

Aharon ordered an assistant to bandage the wound with the medicine still in it.

Acting like a teacher bragging to his students he said, “We leave the medicine in place for two hours.”

The assistants nodded and Aharon continued leading the lesson, “We must perform this five more times.”

With that Aharon began the second procedure.

Sometime during the third application Rædwald mind could take no more and he passed out from the pain.

cXLvoMr.png

Slightly over two weeks later Rædwald sat on his throne in the throne room. Still recovering from the botched treatment for consumption by the Court Physician Aharon he hunched over leaning to his right in the chair not able to straighten his back without pain. Several furs were thrown over the king to keep him warm. His lips quivered mostly from the pain. His eye, however, were frightening to look upon as they seemed to harbor all his hatred at the moment.

Alongside Rædwald to his left sat his wife and queen Crístina. Her eyes too bore an incredible amount of hatred and betrayal. One she had trusted had done this to her husband. She rested her right hand on Rædwald’s left hand offering what reassurance she could.

Other than the king and queen only a single scribe and several guards were present in the throne room. Normally one or more of the Counselors would be present but with them all sequestered in their keeps none were present here in York. The only exception was the Court Chaplain Bishop Wulfgar who would be along momentarily.

The doors to the room opened and Wulfgar entered at the head of a column. Behind Wulfgar marched two guards with halberds. Then came a guard and a prisoner in chains followed by four more guards. The column approached the throne.

At the bottom of the dias Wulfgar stopped and bowed to the king and said, “I bring you the prisoner Aharon of Mistretta.”

oohoTQm.png

The bishop then stepped to Rædwald’s right. The two guards behind Wulfgar bowed and stepped to each side. Aharon was dragged forward by the guard holding his chain. Aharon’s wrists and ankles were shackled and he nearly tripped when the guard pulled. Once before the dias one of the guards behind him used the butt of his halberd staff and swept the feet out from under the prisoner. Aharon fell sideways to the floor landing on his right shoulder. Aharon slowly picked himself up but the guards would not let him stand. They would only allow him to kneel. Aharon looked down at the floor and refused to look up at the king.

Rædwald looked down at Aharon and all the king think was how much he wanted to stand up and walk down to his tormentor and beat him to a pulp. To his disappointment Rædwald knew at this time physically he could not. He would have to settle for other means of obtaining his satisfaction.

In a voice laced with hatred Rædwald said, “Look upon you handiwork.”

Aharon did not lift his head. A guard slid the staff of his weapon under Aharon’s chin and forced his head up. Aharon did not speak.

With even more venom Rædwald asked, “Are you proud of it?”

Still no response from the former court physician. The guard standing next to Aharon punched him in the side of the face. His chin dislodged from the staff. Blood appeared at the side of his mouth.

Rædwald stood and demanded, “Say something for yourself.”

Aharon remained silent. One of the guards behind him slammed the end of his weapon staff into the prisoner’s upper back. Aharon fell forward hitting the stones with his face. He slowly rose onto his knees and hands. He looked up at the king, blood running from his nose.

Aharon spat out some blood and finally spoke, “I did nothing wrong. I followed the treatment to the letter.”

Rædwald threw his arms up and pointed to himself, “Does this look like it worked.”

Aharon rose to his knees and replied, “God must not have been with you…” He never finished as Rædwald nodded. A guard kicked Aharon in the stomach. Aharon fell back to all fours gasping for breath. The guard then kicked him in the side and Aharon lifted off the ground and spun landing on his back. He laid there clutching his side and gasping for air.

As Rædwald sat back down he said, “I am done with him.”

The guards grabbed Aharon and forced his back to his knees. His nose was still bleeding and he was spitting blood between gasps.

Once seated Rædwald said, “Take him from here to the place of execution and saw him in half. Take his remains and feed them to the hogs for all I care.”

As the guards began to force Aharon up he started to protest but it was cut short by the fist of a guard to Aharon’s jaw. A listless Aharon was dragged from the throne room.

ew14KAm.png

Rædwald turned to Crístina. She looked him in the yes and nodded her approval. She then stood and helped Rædwald stand. Leaning on his queen they walked out of the throne room.

• 1Love
Reactions:
This bodes very ill indeed.

Reactions:
Lunatic who is cured of consumption? Probably not a great trade for everyone in Jorvik.

Also, sawed in half? I didn't even know that was a CK2 method of execution! You learn something new everyday in this game!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This bodes very ill indeed.

Things are changing. The balance has been upset.

Lunatic who is cured of consumption? Probably not a great trade for everyone in Jorvik.

Also, sawed in half? I didn't even know that was a CK2 method of execution! You learn something new everyday in this game!

I should have posted a screenshot. The king is not cured. As I said before things will change. The impact won't be at first but further down they will be profane.

It has been a crazy week. I have not had time to be on the forum and writing has been tough. Life threw a curve ball and still feeling some effects. Taking me a little time to get back up to speed. I have some catching up to do on the AAR's I follow. I need to give the next chapter a final look over and hopefully will get it posted later tonight.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.11.4 - January 1015 York
January 1015 York

This was a winter like none could remember. Death and dismay stalked the therofares of the city and the countryside. Not even the the freshness of newly fallen snow could wash the stench and fear away. Few ventured in the streets. The marketplace was frequented by fewer than a third who would regularly mingle among the stalls many of which were empty. Even the taverns saw fewer patrons and several stood empty and neglected. Only the churches had seen an influx in visitors, those seeking divine intercession as the efforts of man were failing miserably.

The small fire burning in the hearth barely took the chill off the empty cavernous Great Hall. The three lone occupants of the hall wrapped themselves tightly in furs and they could see their breaths in the winter air.

Crístina and Wulfgar stood stunned and bewildered at the foot of the throne dias. Rædwald’s orders had caught them off guard and given the current state of the keep made little sense. They both were trying to come to terms with them.

A visibly frustrated Wulfgar argued, “Milord, little or nothing will be gained. The illness had already taken hold with the keep.”

An equally frustrated and upset Crístina took up the cause, “Several members of the court such as Eadflæd suffer from the sickness.”

Neither had the nerve to state that the king too suffered from consumption. Doing so would bring his wrath upon whoever mentioned it. With her heartbreaking Crístina knew that the botched treatment had changed Rædwald. A madness had set upon him and was growing worse day by day. She awaited the coming storm.

She did not have to wait long. From the top of the dias Rædwald took a step down. His face turned bright red and her clenched his fists so hard his arms shook. He roared, “Am I not the king?”

Full of fear Wulfgar swallowed hard and remained silent. He did not wish to loose his head in a disagreement with the king. The queen, on the other hand, felt it was her duty to speak up.

She said, “Yes you are king. A wise and benevolent king. This thing you do is not wise and is cruel.”

Rædwald glared at his queen and took another step down the dias, “Am I not being allowed to protect my court, to protect my… our children?”

Standing her ground Crístina replied, “No one is denying you the right to protect our children but this is not the way. Send them elsewhere if you must.”

Rædwald threw his arms up in frustration, “Where do I send them? My choices are to send them to the counties suffering from consumption or the ones suffering from camp fever. Do I send them to another court and risk them being taken hostage or worse?”

Crístina replied, “No I do not want that.” She hung her head in defeat.

Rædwald smiled and then yelled, “Guard”

A guard ran into the room. Reaching the dias he took a knee and said, “Yes, Your Highness.”

Rædwald triumphantly ordered, “Go to the Captain of the Watch and tell him the king has ordered the gates to keep be shut.”

He tossed a rolled up and tied scroll to the guard. The scroll fell at the guard’s feet.

Rædwald ordered, “Go now!”

The guard picked up the scroll and stood. He quickly left the hall.

As the gates closed their banging echoed through the hall. Crístina shook her head in despair.

L20MpBp.png

A little over a week later a priest, several grave diggers, and a couple of women dressed in mourning clothing stood solemnly amongst the gravestones that denote the final resting place of relatives to the royal family. The cemetary was located just outside the walls of the sealed keep and few ventured there. The priest read the burial prayer as the coffin was slowly lowered into the grave.

A single rider came upon the scene and halted. He dismounted and tied his horse to the gate of the cemetery. Quietly and respectfully he entered the graveyard and stood near the grave but several steps away from the others so as not to disturb the ritual. As the priest read the prayers and performed the burial rites the man bowed his head in reverence. Once the rites were completed and the mourners departed the man stayed for a moment praying for the soul of the deceased.

The priest noticed the man and walked toward him and said, “May God be with you friend.”

The man replied, “And may he also be with you.” He looked at the grave and asked, “If I may ask for whom’s soul were you praying for and their return to our Lord.”

The priest looked at the place of interment as the gravediggers shoveled dirt into the grave, Her name was Eadflæd. At one time she was the Countess of Gloucester until Æthelweald her husband and half brother to the king died. As they were childless the county passed back to the king and she came to live here at the court.”

The man nodded, “Did she die from the sickness?”

The priest nodded and shivered from the cold, “Yes the consumption took her life.”

FlVGzZR.png

The man turned his gaze to the priest, “I thought so. Why else would a grave be dug in the frozen ground.”

The priest smirked as he watched the gravediggers some more, “The gravediggers were not a happy lot. Normally they would have waited until a thaw but with the disease raging they could not. Since she was a member of the royal family, so unlike a commoner her body could not be just burned.”

The man too watched the gravediggers, “Strange how times have changed.”

The priest looked confused, “How is that?

The man turned and looked at the priest. It was then the priest saw that under the man’s furs he wore a monk’s robe. The man continued, “The Only a few generations ago the descendants of Loðbrok would lay their dead upon a prye that rested on a ship. The pyre was set afire and the ship pushed out to sea.”

The priest was shocked, “Not to bury in consecrated ground is no way to reach heaven.”

The man/monk smiled, “They were not trying to reach heaven instead Valhalla was their destination.”

The priest looked at the man in disbelief, “You are a man of God and speak of heathen rituals like some blasphemer.”

The man chuckled, “I am no blasphemer. I just speak of things that once were. Nothing more.”

The priest huffed and began to scurry away. He wanted to put distance between himself and this stranger.

The man called out, “Friend if I may ask a question.”

The priest stopped and turned around. He was becoming anxious besides wanting to be rid of this odd monk he did not being out in the open for this long of a time. The longer he was here the likelihood of encountering an infected person increased. Not all priests in York were willing to expose themselves to the suffering. Some were needed to preach to those who survived. The priest pleaded “Please hurry. I must return to my church.”

The man walked over to the priest, “Where does one go to deliver a message to the king since his keep is now secluded.”

The priest now getting desperate to be far from this man quickly replied, “There is a place near the rer gates that messages can be sent through the walls.”

Without waiting for a response the priest turned and almost ran from the graveyard.

The man shook his head and muttered under his breath, “Disgraceful. A man of God who should be tending to his flock in its time of need. Instead he worries only about himself” He walked back to his horse and untied the animal. He mounted and continued on his journey to the keep.

A short time later the man found himself at the rear gate of the keep. Before going on he surveyed the scene. Near the rear gate which consisted of a large oaken door reinforced with metal a camp with a makeshift wall of stone, dirt, and wood had been erected. Within the camp dwelled messengers and couriers for the king. They were not within the walls of the keep but they did what they could to isolate themselves from others.

As the man watched a courier approached the oaken door and rang a bell next to the door. After a few moments a slot in the door was opened. The courier spoke with whoever was on the other side. He nodded and then passed a packet through the slot. The person on the other side of the door took the packet and then closed the slot with a loud clang. The courier stepped away and retrieved his horse. He then lead his horse into the camp.

The man began to make his way to the door but hesitated when he noticed someone standing on the ramparts. The person placed his hands at his mouth and shouted, “The king has a message to be taken from here.”

The man notice activity in the camp. Several couriers spoke together and one began to walk to the camp gate. The others disbursed into the camp. The selected courier approached the door and rang the bell. The lot open and words were exchanged. A satchel was based through a slot next to the door as it was too big to pass through the door slot. Apparently the stachel was placed in the wall from within and a door shut inside the keep. The courier opened the door on his side of the wall and removed the satchel and closed the door. With the satchel the courier walked back to the camp.

Before approaching the door the man waited to see what transpired. A short time later five mounted and armed guards left the camp with the courier riding his horse. They galloped past the man without noticing him.

Once the small squad was past him the man approached the door. He rang the bell and waited. He could hear men talking but could not understand them. After a few minutes the slot slid open. It was then that man realized that above him on the ramparts stood an archer with an arrow notched pointing at him.

A voice from the slot demanded, “State your business or begone.” The thought he heard the bow string being pulled tauter.

The man looked through the slot at a pair of cold grey eyes encased within a helmet.

With no emotion the man responded, “I am Beorhthelm the Monk. I bear a commision from the king”

The eyes seemed not to believe him and replied, “A commission you say. What type of commission will that be?”

Wondering how much tighter the bowstring above would become before it loosed its arrow and just getting generally annoyed Beorhthelm answered, “I am to be the new Court Physician.”

With a bit of mockery the eyes replied, “Is that so?”

It took a moment for Beorhthelm to realize that was the request from the eyes for Beorhthelm to provide proof. Beorhthelm removed the scroll containing his commission from inside his furs and handed it through the slots. A hand took the scroll and Beorhthelm could hear the tie being removed and a huff as the eyes read the scroll. There was a muffled discussion and Beorhthelm could hear footsteps of someone leaving.

The eyes returned to the slot and ordered, “Wait here.” The slot was abruptly closed. The bowman relaxed but still kept a vigilant stance.

Beorhthelm waited for close to a half an hour. In that time three couriers came and went. Thinking he was forgotten Beorhthelm was readying to leave when he heard the bolts locking the door being thrown.

Beorhthelm could hear the unmistakable sound of bow strings being pulled taut. He looked up at the ramparts above and saw the signal archer had been joined by several more all with arrows notched and waiting. Some watched him but the others scanned the area around the door. Necessary precautions just in case someone decided to charge the door while it was opened.

The door creaked as the hinges protested at being moved. Two guards in full armor with swords drawn stepped out from behind the door. Behind them a man who was obviously a bishop stood.

The bishop smiled and said, “I am Bishop Wulfgar of Lichfield, the Court Chaplin. The king is overjoyed that you have answered his commission.” Wulfgar looked about and then said motioning to Beorhthelm to follow, “Now let us get inside the walls.”

Beorhthelm did not have a chance to react as the two swordsmen grabbed him and basically dragged him through the door. Once they were clear the door shut and the locks were engaged and the keep was once again sealed.

d7wOUn6.png
w0SsEt3.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
I admit I'm not 100 percent certain on the effects of closing the gates after the fact. I think I've done it successfully when something first hits a county, but I don't know if it loses all effectiveness after a certain point.

New physician looks decent though! I'm usually cool taking a physician if they're over 15 learning. Cynical in his ways, but well versed on his new employers it appears! Let's hope he knows what he is getting into.

Reactions:
Rædwald is impotent in this, and it makes him all too understandably surly.

I think I like this Beorhthelm

• 1Like
Reactions:
I loved these 2 chapters-as good as any you've written (though quite a lot of spelling errors still in there...)

The poor king-that was ill done by the physician but i was stunned at the punishment-heinous! As for the new guy-well we will see if he can do anything to ease Rædwald's tortured mind-it might also cost him by the looks of that lunatic trait...we will see

• 1Like
Reactions:
I admit I'm not 100 percent certain on the effects of closing the gates after the fact. I think I've done it successfully when something first hits a county, but I don't know if it loses all effectiveness after a certain point.

New physician looks decent though! I'm usually cool taking a physician if they're over 15 learning. Cynical in his ways, but well versed on his new employers it appears! Let's hope he knows what he is getting into.

I am not sure what benefits are gained myself. I did based on the Lunatic trait. Who else but a madman would close the gates to keep the illness out after it had already gotten in.

Beorhthelm makes an impact pretty much from the beginning as will be shown in future chapters.

Rædwald is impotent in this, and it makes him all too understandably surly.

I think I like this Beorhthelm

Rædwald as a lunatic has offered some new avenues to explore in role playing the character as part of the game. I am still learning how this will play out. One thing I have to remind myself is that I am not playing to win the game. I am playing the role now.

Beorhthelm comes at the right time.

I loved these 2 chapters-as good as any you've written (though quite a lot of spelling errors still in there...)

The poor king-that was ill done by the physician but i was stunned at the punishment-heinous! As for the new guy-well we will see if he can do anything to ease Rædwald's tortured mind-it might also cost him by the looks of that lunatic trait...we will see

Thanks! These chapters were quite a chore. Many outside distractions caused several starts and restarts when I wrote them. I pretty much threw both of them out at least twice because I was not pleased with them.

I apologize for the spelling errors. I have discovered the hard way that Google Docs spell checker leaves a lot to be desired. I dumped one of the chapters into Word and was unpleasantly surprised by the errors previously missed.

That punishment was a shocker to me also. I will say Beorhthelm will try to cure the king. In the next chapter you will see how it turns out.

The next chapter will be up tomorrow. I have to give it another read through just to be sure I like it.

Reactions: