• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well now, I see more than a little potential to foment trouble in England at this rate.

There are more than one potential to make trouble for England.

It's a shame you can't outright swap prisoners - in this case, I imagine that is probably what would have happened. And it would have been beneficial too - get back the prince without having to fund the English mercenaries.

But after that initial setback though, things seem to be falling into place.

Exchanging would be nice. Things are going well.

I almost have the next chapter ready. I again had to do some rewriting to make me feel that it right. Also I had to change a few points to make it agree with the previous two.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.9.3 - 28 February 1011 Siege Line Outside Buckingham
28 February 1011 Siege Line Outside Buckingham

In the tavern that had been commondaired as his residence and the command post of the besieging army Rædwald stood before the roaring fire in the hearth. Stretching his hands out toward the fire he tried to find some warm for them. Furs were wrapped around his body in a vain attempt to combat the elements. The cold scoffed at his fruitless struggles. The cold crept in through cracks in the walls and through the old dilapidated shutters.

In a room full of men scurrying about doing the business of war and sieges Rædwald was alone. For the first time he could remember he was truly lonely. His wife and queen Crístina was north, in Scotland leading the Taran army as it besieged St Andrews, the last English held lands in Scotland. It was Hlothere he missed the most. His brother was his best friend and confidant. He was the voice Rædwald turned to in troubling times. It would be sometime before Rædwald would hear his brother’s voice. For now Hlothere was under guard somewhere in England, a prisoner of war.

So engrossed in his melancholy thoughts of those that were not here, Rædwald did hear or notice the Court Chaplin Bishop Wulfgar of Lichfield walk up beside him. When he did realize the bishop was there it startled the king.

Looking down and bowing Wulfgar said, “I beg your pardon, milord. I did not mean to alarm you.”

Rædwald smiled, “It was somewhat my fault I was lost in thoughts of those in harm’s way.”

Wulfgar nodded and placed his hands at chest in prayer, “I understand, milord. I offer prayers for their safe turn.”

Rædwald placed his hand on the bishop’s shoulders, “I truly thank you.”

Wulfgar looked a little distressed, “In times like these I wish I could offer more than just prayers.’

Rædwald keeping his hand on Wulfgar’s shoulder smiled, “Sometimes a prayer is the difference between victory and defeat, between life and death.” Rædwald removed his hand from the chaplin’s shoulder.

A servant walked by with cups of warm ale. Both king and bishop took one.

They drank from their cups and relished in the warm of the brew.

Wulfgar then nodded and smiled, “My reason for coming over here was to deliver messages that have arrived from York.”

Rædwald took the messages and began to read them. Wulfgar turned his attention back to the fire. Rædwald chuckled a few times. He then turned back to the fire himself and took another drink from his cup.

Still looking into the fire Wulfgar said, “From your reaction I gather there was good joyful news among those papers.”

Rædwald turned and looked at Wulfgar. Wulfgar turned to look back at the king. Rædwald smiled, “Yes there was more good news than bad. Queen Crístina wrote that my sister Princess Bodil, wife of Sigismond Welf who is the nephew of King Renaud, sent a letter thanking us for our gift on the birth of their son, Benoît. She hopes to read the letter to me personally sometime soon.”

cTRtf7y.png
fosSEFf.png

Wulfgar nodded and smiled, “That is very good news and I will pray for the princess and her son that he may grow up to be healthy, strong, and wise.”

Rædwald nodded his appreciation for Wulfgar’s gesture.

Wulfgar then asked, “If I may be so bold were there other good tidings? You seemed to chuckle at one of the note.”

Rædwald smiled and patted Wulfgar on the back, “Yes there was. Eadhburgh, wife of my brother Swæfræd, has announced that she is with child. That means that Swæfræd listened.”

Confused Wulfgar asked, “Listened? To whom or what?”

Rædwald suddenly realized that Wulfgar was not aware of Swæfræd’s past infatuation with certain ladies of the court.

The king laughed and said, “That my dear chaplin is a story for another time.”

Wulfgar accepted his king’s explanation and finished his ale. “I ask for my leave, milord, it is getting close to noon and I must prepare for the noon mass.”

Rædwald nodded, You may go.”

Wulfgar bowed and moved off into another part of the room.

It was then that Duke Emrys of Deheubarth, Marshal of Jorvik, and commander of the army besieging Buckingham approached the hearth. Once at the hearth Emrys threw another log onto the fire, sending a shower of sparks upward and outward from the fire.

Emrys called to a servant for warm ale. The boy quickly brought the marshal a cup and took the king’s empty cup and replaced it with a full one. Emrys took a long drink and then asked, “How was the conversation with Wulfgar? I think the old boy is afraid of me.”

Rædwald laughed, “And you enjoy scaring him at every chance you get.” Emrys laughed as Rædwald continued, “He brought messages from York. Mostly family matters but a few relevant to us.”

Rædwald handed one of the messages to Emrys who read it.

Emrys looked at Rædwald and said, “Friedrich has destroyed the last of the English army at Limerick. It appears he has fulfilled his contract several months early.”

hbipSnb.png

Looking a little down Rædwald said, “That means I will have to pay him a bonus for destroying the English before spring and another for capturing Oshere Ealdmundsson.”

Emrys nodded, “It appears that way.”

Rædwald sighed and said, “We will need to send a messenger under guard with the bills of exchange covering the costs of the bonuses and informing Captain Friedrich that his services are no longer required at this time.”

Emrys nodded, “It will be arranged.”

Rædwald looked through the notes and upon finding the one he desired he handed it to Emrys. “This is a noted from our spymaster, Ealdmund, saying that young King Ælfgar has recently become a fall down drunk.”

Emrys grinned, “Now that is interesting.”

Rædwald also grinned, “According to the spymaster he has drunk himself into a stupor on more than one occasion. During a few of these binges his brother and heir Ealdmund Osheresson has had to make decisions for him.”

Emrys took a few sips from his warm ale and asked, “When did all this start.”

Rædwald looked a t his marshal and replied, “Apparently there was some drinking after we declared war on him. The real bad drinking started not long after King Renaud of France landed and destroyed the small army gathering in Wessex at Southampton.”

AjvOnm2.png
AMdBAms.png

Emrys chuckled, “I suspect the last month or so has been pretty hard for Æflgar with Bishop Hrolfr and King Renaud taking Selsey at the beginning of the month and us taking Reading at the end of January. We are now here at Buckingham and Hrolfr and Renaud are besieging Chichester.”

jO6NBeU.png
YQhVbyM.png

Rædwald smiled, “You do not how correct you are. Ælfgar went on a huge binge. Not only was he drinking himself silly, he was bedding every female servant he could lay his hands on. Queen Eanswith has locked him out of her chambers and bed. For the foreseeable future there will be no son born to the king and queen. His two daughters, Siffiæd and Seaxburh from his first wife, Anlaith nic Broccán will be his only legitimate children. Since they are girls they are ineligible to rule.”

Emrys rubbed his chin in thought, “Wasn’t Anlaith your sister-in-law?”

A tinge of sadness came over Rædwald, “Yes she was Crístina’s younger sister. She died giving birth to Seaxburh.”

Both men stood looking into the fire. They both finished their ale and a servant brought them new filled cups.

Emrys handed the notes he had back to Rædwald and asked, “Is there any news regarding the English - Scottish War in there?”

Rædwald responded, “I believe so.” He began going through them. Frustrated some that he could not find what he was looking for he placed the notes on a nearby table. He searched through them with more care. As he found what he was looking for he said, “Here it is.”

Rædwald pulled the paper out of the pile and read it through. When he was finished he looked up at Emrys. “The Scottish and Tarans are besieging the English holding St Andrews. It is the last stronghold of the English on Scottish soil as they have driven them from Moray, Crieff, and Cupar. The Scottish now occupy Clydesdale.”

Emrys scratched his beard under his chin, “It will not be long before Ælfgar will have to make a white peace with King Ewan.”

Looking slightly concerned Rædwald asked, “What will that mean for us?”

Emrys took a sip of ale and replied, “Most likely we will be facing a new English army.”

Now fully concerned Rædwald asked, “What plans do you have if that occurs?”

Emrys thought for a moment and then answered, “We will have Sumarliði lift the siege of Westminster and join with Sigfrið and the remains of the Northern Army after Friedrich departs. Once joined they pursue and destroy the English.”

Rædwald seemed to be a little annoyed, “What of Westminster?”

Emrys replied, “What of it? As things stand now it is not important. Once Chichester falls and Hrolfr and Renaud take Lewes they can march on Westminster and invest it.”

Satisfied Rædwald said, “Good. We need to be vigilant.”

Emrys adjusted his fur over his shoulder and asked, “Did Ealdmund report anything on Hjalmar’s Claim War for Durham?”

Rædwald rummaged through the papers again and removed one. He handed it to Emrys.

Emrys read the report and placed it on the table, “They are trading sieges. Hjalmar took Durham and the Bishopric of St Cuthbert. He is now besieging Hartlepool. Duchess Elin has taken Bamburgh. She is trying to invest Corbridge but she does not have enough troops to do so.”

8p3bj6K.png

Rædwald looked at Emrys, “When this war is over we will need to deal with Hjalmar.”

Emrys nodded, “Yes we will.”

Rædwald took a sip of ale, “What of our Irish allies? How are they adjusting?”

Emrys chuckled, “They had some problems at first. They did not agree with our level of discipline at first. Unfortunately we had to make an example of a few of the worst offenders. Those of Earl Cathal of Tír Eoghain understood the lesson right away. Those of Chief Garlat of Ulaidh took a couple of more lessons before they appreciated the advantages to following orders.”

R3nTTia.png
APhjmlH.png

Rædwald chuckled himself, “I wonder how King Rogallach of Connachta’s troops would have handled themselves.”

Emrys sipped from his cub, “They must be behaving themselves in North Africa. King Thierry II of Aquitaine has not sent them home.”

Rædwald rubbed his hands together and stretched them out to the fire, “Did Rogallach accompany his army to Africa?”

Emrys smirked, “No given his girth and age it would be nearly impossible for him to have done so. He sent Bishop Ernán of Cluain and Mayor Túathal of Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe. How did he get involved in this war?”

hektNPw.png

Rædwald continued warming his hands, “He is doing penance for a great sin. He was directed by the pope that if there was a need for assistance in fighting the Muslims he was obligated to answer. When Caliph Anwa II of Burhanaddin Sultanate declared the 5th Burhanaddin Holy War for Tangier and King Thierry called, he had to help. ”

Intrigued Emrys asked, “What sin would be that great?”

Without any emotion Rædwald replied, “Cannibalism.”

Shock and surprise filled Emrys’ face, “You jest.”

Rædwald shook his head, “No I do not. It was about fifteen years ago when a consumption epidemic swept Ireland. Rogallach secluded himself in his keep. The epidemic lasted longer than they planned for and they ran out of food.”

Emrys shook his head, “I cannot imagine that happening in Jorvik.”

Rædwald looked at Emrys and said, “I pray that you are correct.”

Both stood silent staring into the fire. Somewhere a bell tolled calling the faithful to the noon mass.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Rædwald smiled and patted Wulfgar on the back, “Yes there was. Eadhburgh, wife of my brother Swæfræd, has announced that she is with child. That means that Swæfræd listened.”

LOL. No Rædwald, that is not what that means at all. In fact, it is often the opposite. It feels like when a seduction character gets their wife pregnant, a mistress soon follows. So... yeah, Rædwald's gonna be in for a shock.

But the English seemed truly outclassed. New army or no, that the Franks have landed on the island with 11K pretty much spells the end for English hopes at victory.

Reactions:
Well now it appears the war is going well indeed. There is a great deal of contentment in these discussions. It just goes to show how rubbish England's situation really is.

Reactions:
LOL. No Rædwald, that is not what that means at all. In fact, it is often the opposite. It feels like when a seduction character gets their wife pregnant, a mistress soon follows. So... yeah, Rædwald's gonna be in for a shock.

Wait for it:p:D

But the English seemed truly outclassed. New army or no, that the Franks have landed on the island with 11K pretty much spells the end for English hopes at victory.

They are truly outclassed. In the previous playthrough this war was much harder and took about 5 years to win. Rædwald found himself dragged into several wars in France at the time due to revolts against the French king. He had no real help and since the English had not been at war they were harder to defeat.

You can see the difference in the replay this time. Things are going to get real interesting for the English over the next few years. Rædwald will grow to hate the 10 year cooling off.

Well now it appears the war is going well indeed. There is a great deal of contentment in these discussions. It just goes to show how rubbish England's situation really is.

After the rough start with Hlothere the war has gone well. The English are in bad straits and it can only get worse.

I am tweaking the next chapter. Remember that new army. Well it arrives in the north and has to be dealt with. The south is just one siege after another.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.9.4 - 9 August 1011 near Dunragit County of Rhinns
9 August 1011 near Dunragit County of Rhinns

Earl Sigfrið of Gloucester opened the flap of the tent and walked. At first the occupant of the tent stood with his back to Sigfrið. The occupant of the tent spoke, “Who am I?”

Sigfrið was confused, “I don’t understand.”

The occupant still did not turn to face Sigfrið, “I ask again. Who am I?”

Sigfrið swallowed, “You are Sumarliði Totilsson, Earl of Hereford.”

Slowly Sumarliði turned, “Who am I here?”

Warily Sigfrið answered, “General of the Northern Army.”

Sumarliði nodded, “And who appointed me?”

Sigfrið was getting more and more nervous, “The king.”

Sumarliði glared at Sigfrið, “As such I have full authority over this army and it’s soldiers.” He paused and then in a low hissing voice continued, “ All of them.”

Sigfrið looked around the room to see if anyone else was present. He was feeling like he had walked into a trap. “Yes it is my understanding.”

Sumarliði did not release his gaze, “Now that we have established my authority and that extends to you. Do you know for what reason I have summoned you here?”

Sweating Sigfrið replied, “I do not.”

Sumarliði reached for several papers on the table next to him. He looked through them and then at Sigfrið, “It has come to my attention that you have been killing wounded men and prisoners.”

Sigfrið glared at Sumarliði, “They are just English. They are worthless animals that do not deserve to live.”

Sumarliði placed the papers back on the desk, “The days of the sons of Ragnarr are long past. We are not raiders and pillagers. Even though the blood of Ragnarr Loðbrok runs in our veins we are the God appointed rulers of this land and Christians. While there may be some truth in what you say about the English who refuse to accept their place. There are still rules and ways that wars are fought. The needless killing of wounded and those fellow Christians who have surrendered is frowned upon by the Church and the king. Those you kill may be valuable as hostages who can be ransomed.”

“I have heard that you were responsible for killing the Mayor of Berwick after he surrendered during the battle two months ago at Scarborough. He could have been ransomed for a nice sum.”

FiecQGv.png

Sigfrið stood silent.

Sumarliði continued, “Then again today you were observed killing wounded men on the battlefield and on several occasions when English soldiers came to you to surrender you slew them.”

waHCIIk.png

“This must cease from this point on. If you continue you will be arrested. Do you understand?”

Sigfrið’s face was turning red as he was ready to lash out. However, he thought better of and responded, “I understand.”

Sumarliði glared at Sigfrið and ordered, “Good, now remove yourself from my sight. If I speak of this to you again you will be irons.”

Sigfrið stepped back and bowed. Briskly he turned and exited the tent.

After Sigfrið left Hafrid the wife of Sumarliði stepped out from behind the screen and rack of clothing she had been lurking behind. She walked over a small table near the side of the tent. She raised the pitcher and poured two cups of wine. She lifted the cups and walked over to her husband. She handed him one and took a sip from her cup.

“Rather harsh on him?”

Sumarliði took a sip from his cup, “I needed to be with him.”

Hafrid looked at her husband, “Not a good way to win support from him for your causes.”

SOZ61ab.png

Sumarliði smiled, “I do not need the likes of him.”

Hafrid sipped from her cup, “He is half brother to the king and could help to undermine Hlothere.”

Sumarliði smirked, “Hlothere has already undermined himself with his poor generalmenship.”

Hafrid shook her head, “Do not be too sure of that. After all he is Rædwald’s favorite brother. I am sure he will not be out of favor for long. Someone like Sigfrið would be very useful then.”

Sumarliði shook his head, “He is stark raving mad and cruel. I could not trust him and I do not need someone who enjoys killing the way he does.”

Hafrid drained her cup, “Strange how those of the line of Loðbrok now shy away from killers and marauders. We have become civilized and in doing so lost something of our ferocity. However, there may come a time when a killer is sometimes needed.”

Sumarliði finished his cup and walked over to the table and filled his cup, “Yes but not one like him. He kills for the pleasure and that is problemsome in these times.”

Sumarliði then picked up the pitcher and walked over to his wife. He took her cup and filled it. He handed it back to her and walked back to the table placing down the pitcher.

The tent flap opened just then. Earl Åke of Westmorland entered the tent.

Sumarliði looked at Åke and said, “The daily dispatches?”

Åke replied, “Yes”

Sumarliði asked, “Anything of interest?”

Åke placed a pile of papers on the table. “Queen Crïstina as Queen of Mide has joined the war. With King Ælfgar and King Ewan agreeing to a white peace she was released from her obligations to fight as Scotland’s ally. Now she is our ally.”

SNKfc9K.png

Sumarliði looked at the papers and thumbed through them, “Anything about the war?”

Åke responded nonchalantly, “The Siege of Westminster goes well. Once Bishop Hrolfr and King Renaud began marching toward Westminster, King Ælfgar recalled Ealdmund Osheresson from the army facing us to Westminster to command the defense of the barony. Speaking of Renaud his horse tripped or slipped on the march from Sussex to Middlesex. The horse went down bringing the king along with it. The king hit the ground hard. They say that he hit his head and has a broken back. He is now bedridden and infirmed. His son Prince Nicolas is commanding the French.”

Hafrid now walked around her husband still holding her freshly filled cup with both hands at her chest, “What of the Siege of Buckingham?”

Åke looked at the countess and replied, “It continues.”

d6RYtX2.png

Hafrid threw back her head, “You mean that while Emrys and Rædwald struggle to take one city the Bishop of Burton and the King of France took Chichester and Lewes. Now they go after the capital of England. Me thinks that our king is relying far too much on the King of France. Who is truly the stronger Rædwald or Renaud?”

cpzmaTT.png
b8NETP0.png

Sumarliði and Åke exchanged glances.

Sumarliði replied, “Buckingham is one of the strongest cities in England if not these isles. The other two were lightly defended compared to it.”

Hafrid quickly sipped her wine, “It would seem to me that a strong king would be able to fight his own war and not rely on the King of France. It appears that we need a stronger king.”

Sumarliði glared strongly at his wife, “This is not the time. We need to win this war first.”

Hafrid chuckled, “I did not say to do so now. Support for such an action must be secured.”

She then looked at Åke, “Is that not so Earl Åke?”

Confused at first Åke replied, “Yes, support for such an endeavor is very important. As a matter of fact you can never have too much.”

Åke smiled at Hafrid who returned the smile.

Hafrid then asked, “Earl Åke why are you here acting as my husband's secretary?”

Åke smiled broadly, “Why to give support him.”

Hafrid laughed, “Now what is the real reason?”

Åke chuckled, “You know that it is not the reason. I am in hiding.”

Hafrid looked at him questioningly, “Hiding? Here amongst an army? Why?”

Åke grew serious, “I am avoiding assassins?”

Now intrigued Hafrid asked, “Who would want you dead?”

Åke somberly replied, “My brother.”

Shocked some Hafrid said, “Brother?”

To Hafrid it looked as Åke was in pain, “My brother Skuli, husband of Sif, the former Countess of Gwent. He is now in Hålogaland where he is spymaster.”

Hafrid felt sorry asked, “Why?”

Åke seemed tired, “He is my hier and desires my titles.”

Hafrid looked at Åke and responded, “That is not good. But why here?” as she said here she swept around the room with her right arm.

Åke chuckled, “Here I am surrounded by guards and men who watch over me and protect me.”

Hafrid nodded.

Åke turned to Sumarliði and said, “If there is nothing else I will take my leave.”

Sumarliði indicated that he did not. Åke nodded and left leaving husband and wife alone.

Hafrid turned to her husband and took his hands in her hands, “It is wise to grant him protection. He will owe you. Later you can collect on that debt.

Sumarliði just smiled at his wife and then drew her near and kissed her passionately on the lips.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Rædwald's brothers are quite the group right now. One captured due to foolishness. Another a savage butcher. Another a lecher. Another doesn't follow orders!

Still, at least they're loyal. Pesky cousins on the other hand, who are telling themselves stories to justify their desires of kingship while the actual king waltzes through and crushes the enemy... they're the real troublemakers.

Reactions:
Well a good stern talking to, and no doubt is was needed.

The plotting ... the plotting I feel will only get the good commander into trouble.

Reactions:
Rædwald's brothers are quite the group right now. One captured due to foolishness. Another a savage butcher. Another a lecher. Another doesn't follow orders!

Just your normal political family.:D

Still, at least they're loyal. Pesky cousins on the other hand, who are telling themselves stories to justify their desires of kingship while the actual king waltzes through and crushes the enemy... they're the real troublemakers.

So far the brothers have been loyal.

Well a good stern talking to, and no doubt is was needed.

The plotting ... the plotting I feel will only get the good commander into trouble.

He has surprise with the number of factions he keeps turning up in. Also his time in factions is the longest of any of the lords in the kingdom.

Reactions:
I am having issues with the next chapters. I have completely rewritten it two times. While I like the setting and the premises for the chapter the second time around. Filling it in has proven to be the annoying part.

Perhaps some of it is that I am thinking too far ahead with somethings. I am debating the AAR after Rædwald. Do I continue it or do I spin it off? I seen others do both I wonder if the AAR has become too long and that a part 2 is needed to continue it.

Or is it that I am at the point where I need to play the game some more. At the moment the gameplay is only four years ahead of where the writing is. There is a big change coming and then another big change.

Decisions, decisions.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.9.5 - 23 October 1011 Westminster
23 October 1011 Westminster

A cool autumn breeze blew across the hilltop. The fabric of the hastily erected pavilion flapped wildly in the wind. The same breeze unfurled the banners of the Kingdom of England and the House of Northumbria. The banners stood amongst the group of soldiers who held the horses for the nobles present.

Those nobles stood several feet away from the soldiers and about a hundred feet from the pavilion. They included Hereweald, the Mayor of London. After Westminster his city would be next for the Jorvikians. Additionally Baron Morcar of Buckingham, Mayor Wistin of Lewes, and Countess Leofwynn of Sussex stood in the group. These were lords who lands were occupied by the Jorvikians and who hoped to get them back. From Council present were Lord Marshal Duke Swithelm of Lothian, Chancellor Earl Hacon of Essex, and Court Chaplin Bishop Mærleswegn of Muchelney. The remaining two nobles were Ealdmund Osheresson, heir to the crown of England, and his brother King Ælfgar.

Ealdmund looked at his brother. It had taken quite an effort to have Ælfgar in attendance. The king had been drinking heavily the past few days especially after the realization that all was lost had overcome him. Ealdmund along with the king’s servants had done the best they could to sober him up. Even so the king's eyes were bloodshot and his stomach was quesy. He had vomited twice on the way to the meeting place. Ealdmund feared he would do so again during the conference. He forehead was covered in sweat and he smelled of body odor and alcohol.

Swithelm was the first to spot the approaching banners of the Kingdom of Jorvik, and Kingdom of France as they appeared from behind the small rise. A moment or two later the heads of riders came into view. Hacon and Mærleswegn began to walk toward the pavilion. With Ealdmund assisting him Ælfgar made his way to the pavilion.

Duke Emrys, Marshal of Jorvik raised his right arm in the air and ordered, “Halt.”

The column of horsemen halted. King Rædwald riding next to Emrys looked at the men under the pavilion and asked Emrys, “Can you tell who is there?”

Emrys squinted and replied, “Looks like King Ælfgar, Ealdmund Osheresson, Earl Hacon of Essex, Chancellor of England, and I am not familiar with the bishop.”

Rædwald rubbed his chin and said, “Interesting that Duke Swithelm of Lothian, the Lord Marshal is not present.”

Emrys looked at the group further away and said, “He is back with the other group either. I suspect he wishes to continue the fighting.”

Rædwald nodded, “Perhaps.”

Emrys looked over his shoulder at the column behind him and ordered, “Dismount.”

The column dismounted. Soldiers came forward and collect the mounts of the nobles and took the horses back about fifty feet. The nobles gathered near Rædwald and Emrys.

Bishop Wulfgar looked at the men under the pavilion and stated, “The bishop is Bishop Mærleswegn of Muchelney, Court Chaplin of England.”

Rædwald thanked him for the information. Wulgar then quickly blessed the nobles and the upcoming proceedings.

Rædwald and Emrys started to walk toward the pavilion. Prince Nicolas of France followed. He was now the commander of the French army since his father King Renaud had been injured and was confined to his bed. Along with him walked Bishop Hrolfr of Burton, commander of the army besieging Westminster. Next came Earl Thurcytel of Northampton and his liege Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia. Since she was only 13 her regent Offa Waltheofsson accompanied her.

The Jorvikian party stopped just inside of the pavilion. It was then that Rædwald and Emrys got a good look at King Ælfgar. The rumors were true. The KIng of England was a dunkard. He looked wretched. His eyes were bloodshot and sweat covered his forehead. He seemed unsteady in his feet. He kept licking his lips as if he had an unquenchable thirst. Ealdmund and Ælfgar stepped into the center of the tent. At times it seemed Æflgar had to lean on his brother in order to remain steady.

Rædwald, Emrys, and Prince Nicolas walked into the center of pavilion. There a long table was placed that separated the men of the warring kingdoms. The negotiations would be conducted in the Anglo-Saxon tongue since neither Ealdmund or Ælfgar were fluent in the Norse tongue spoken in the Jorvikian court. Ealdmund could understand some Norse but not enough for these talks. Rædwald and Emrys could speak Anglo-Saxon and French fluently. Prince Nicolas on the other hand did not know Anglo-Saxon and could only speak some Norse. Therefore Emrys would act as an interpreter for the French prince.

As Rædwald expected Ealdmund spoke first, “You called this truce for what purpose?”

Rædwald put on his best face and responded, “To end needless bloodshed.”

Ealdmund not pleased that it had come to this snapped back, “And how would that be?”

Knowing he had the position of strength of arms Rædwald kept calm and replied, “By the surrender of Westminster and the surrender of King Ælfgar.”

Ælfgar shot Rædwald a wicked glare and said, “Never! We will fight to the last man.” His words were slurred. Rædwald and Emrys exchanged looks both thinking the same thing, He is drunk even now.

Ealdmund looked horrified. He glared at his brother thinking the same as the Jorvikians and wondering where he hid the flask. Fearing that the chance for peace could be lost he turned back to Rædwald and said, “Please excuse us.”

Rædwald nodded and Ealdmund grabbed Ælfgar by the upper arms. Ealdmund turned him and marched him to the edge of the pavilion. There the two brothers engaged in a heated discussion. The discussion ended when Ælfgar threw his arms up in disgust. He lost his balanced and tripped backwards. He landed against Mærleswegn. Caught off guard the bishop could not hold his king upright. Ælfgar slipped through the bishop’s hands until he was seated on the ground in front of the bishop.

Ealdmund leaned over into his brother’s face. He made a few comments and then Ælfgar hung his head down. Ealdmund straightened up and nodded to Mærleswegn. The bishop and Hacon helped their king stand. Ealdmund then marched back to the center of the pavilion nearly tripping into the table. Ælfgar followed behind him and stopping just behind his brother.

Embarrassed and furious at his brother Ealdmund looked at Rædwald and said, “I beg your forgiveness for that interruption.”

Feeling awkward Rædwald nodded.

Still annoyed with his brother Ealdmund looked at him and then turned back to Rædwald and said, “I am obligated to ask of you why should King Æflgar surrender?”

This time Rædwald deferred to Emrys. Enjoying the moment and with an evil grin the Marshal of Jorvik replied, “ Your armies are defeated. The little annoyance you sent to the north is no more. It was defeated at Berwick and then eliminated to a man at St Machar. You have no more levies to call.”

kRBEMtH.png
a620D3j.png

“Buckingham has fallen.”

2ZCK9yE.png

“Here at Westminster the walls are breached in many places. You cannot defend them all. Our army will storm through the breaches. All you will gain will be a sad tale sung by bards and minstrels in taverns about your foolish bravery.”

kz4TDnD.png

Trying to maintain his dignity and control his anger Ealdmund glared at Emrys. No matter how hard he tried Ealdmund could not deny the truth in the duke’s words. Prince Nicolas laughed out loud after Rædwald translated Emrys’ speech. Ealdmund turned his dissatisfaction and anger toward the French prince. Taunting Ealdmund, Nicolas returned the glare.

Regaining his composure Ealdmund took a couple of deep breaths and asked, “What are the terms?”

Trying not to appear to be gloating Rædwald answered, “All prisoners are to be exchanged.”

Agreeing wholeheartedly Ealdmund and Ælfgar nodded.

“As stated at the onset of the war King Ælfgar will relinquish control of Oxford to Earl Thurcytel of Northampton.”

Ealdmund’s stomach tightened into a knot. He turned and looked at his brother. At first Ælfgar showed no reaction. He stood there staring at the ground. Desiring that the nightmare conclude quickly Ealdmund coughed and Ælfgar looked up at him. Ealdmund gave Ælfgar a look that show he expected his brother to respond. At last Ælfgar nodded.

Now Ealdmund felt as if he was going to vomit. He turned back to Rædwald, “to prevent further useless bloodshed your terms are acceptable.”

As Ealdmund was finishing Hrolfr stepped out from the pavilion. He looked at the group of Jorvikians standing away from the pavilion. He nodded and clapped loudly several times. Several men stepped away from the group and headed toward the pavilion. When they were half way there two men stopped. The man in the center stopped and looked at them. One nodded and the man continued to the pavilion. He joined Hrolfr who lead him a few steps into the pavilion.

Prince Oshere saw his sons standing in the tent. Knowing he was about to be free Oshere smiled. Disgusted Ealdmund looked at his father but did not return the smile. Ælfgar took one quick glance and then looked away. The smile on Oshere face faded.

Knowing it would make his sons uncomfortable Oshere said, “Greetings my boys.”

With a voice full of venom Ealdmund replied, “Greetings father.”

Ælfgar continued looking at the ground and did not respond. Oshere shook his head.

The tension from the English royal reunion was broken by the appearance of Prince Hlothere. Hlothere stared at his brother. Rædwald returned the stare. Feeling the full weight of the shame of being captured Hlothere looked away from his brother and hung his head down. Before today all Rædwald had thought about was the dressing down he was going to give Hlothere. Now with his brother standing across the pavilion all he could think of was how good it felt to see him and knowing he would be returned.

Rædwald nodded and the prisoners were directed to walk to the other side of the pavilion returning them to their people. As Hlothere passed Rædwald he smiled. Wanting to smile and grab his brother but knowing he could not Rædwald showed no emotion. The smile on Hlothere’s face quickly disappeared and he lowered his head. He walked over to Hrolfr and stood next to the bishop.

Oshere on the other hand did not exchange any further glances with his sons or show any kind of emotion as he walked past them. Oshere did not stop at the edge of the pavilion. He kept walking until he reached the group of Englishmen. Once within the group he mounted a horse. Without a word he quickly rode off toward Westminster.

As the prisoner exchange was occurring Mayor Strula of Macclesfield entered the pavilion with two scrolls. He was followed by two scribes. Strula bowed to Rædwald and then unrolled the scrolls on the table. One of the scribes placed several quills on the table and inkwells. Another placed a small wide red candle which he lit. Strula and the scribes stepped back away from the table.

Rædwald pointed the scrolls, “These are the peace treaty which ends the war and grants Oxford to Earl Thurcytel.”

He then gestured to Æflgar. Æflgar looked at the documents with disgust and then looked up at Rædwald with the same look of disgust. He next looked at Ealdmund. Not hiding his displeasure Ealdmund nodded.

Æflgar stepped over to the table. He picked up one of the quills and dipped in the inkwell. He again looked at the documents. He quickly signed his name to each document. One of the scribes lifted the candle and poured some melted wax on each document. Æflgar then placed his signet ring in the wax. He then stood up straight and looked at Rædwald with a look full of hate. Without uttering a word or any sign of courtesy he turned his back to Rædwald and walked out of the pavilion.

ckKqvjT.png

Strula then called out, “Earl Thurcytel.”

Thurcytel came forward. He signed and sealed the documents.

Strula next called Rædwald forward. The King of Jorvik signed and sealed the treaty.

Finally Ealdmund, Hacon, and Strula each signed the treaty as witnesses.

One of scribes poured pounce over the treaties and shook the dust off after the ink and wax had dried. He rolled up the documents into scrolls. He handed one of the scrolls to Hacon and the other to Strula.

With the business completed Ealdmund, and Hacon turned and left the pavilion.

Relieved that all had gone well Rædwald turned and began to walk out of the pavilion. He found himself face to face with Hlothere. Hlothere would not make eye contact with his brother. Rædwald approached his brother and outstretched his arms. The next thing Hlothere knew Rædwald was hugging him. Surprised at first Hlothere hesitated and then returned the hug.

Choked up Hlothere said, “Brother I…”

Rædwald cut him off, “Not now we will speak of it later. For now we celebrate your return.”

Playfully Rædwald spun his brother around and put his arm over his shoulder. They walked back to the horses together with their arms over each other shoulders. Two brothers reunited.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Not that I expected Hlothere to be disloyal, but it is useful for Rædwald to show him such affection. Plotters likely hoped to drive a wedge between brothers - and this shows it will not be easily done.

England is a mess and ripe for the picking. The true timer is a bit of a pain but... the true is with the current king. If he were no longer the king, Jorvik could attack again...

Reactions:
Perhaps a claim on England itself might be found - for this business of cutting a country down county by county might get wearisome.

Reactions:
Not that I expected Hlothere to be disloyal, but it is useful for Rædwald to show him such affection. Plotters likely hoped to drive a wedge between brothers - and this shows it will not be easily done.

England is a mess and ripe for the picking. The true timer is a bit of a pain but... the true is with the current king. If he were no longer the king, Jorvik could attack again...

In the game Rædwald and Hlothere remain friends and their feelings for each other remain at 100.

Wait until you see the mess England will become. If only there was not that 10 year wait or the king die or be replaced.

Perhaps a claim on England itself might be found - for this business of cutting a country down county by county might get wearisome.

County by county does get tiresome. I do need to look into getting a claim for the whole kingdom.

Next chapter is in the works. Like many recently it has gone through massive revisions. It is now two chapters. I hope to get it posted tomorrow or Sunday. While trying to finish it I am moving forward with gameplay at the same time.

Reactions:
Chapter 7.10.1 - March 1012 York
Chapter 7.10

March 1012 York

The spring sun found it hard to penetrate the strategy room. Darkness and shadows lingered in the corners. To Hlothere it felt like tentacles reaching out and surrounding him. They crushed his chest making breathing a chore. The gloom of the chambers was feeding off the mood of his brother.

Since Rædwald had entered the chambers Hlothere could sense his brother was troubled and angry. The king stormed across the room, looked at some documents on the table and then with grunt of disgust threw them across the room. Now leaning on his fist the king glared at the map of Jorvik and England that had been left on the table. After a few moments he rose from the table and walked over to the shelf and selected another map. He strolled back to the table and threw the map of Ireland across the map. Rubbing his chin he concentrated on the map.

Hlothere suspected he knew the reason for his brother’s foul mood. He had heard the rumors too. If true they were rather upsetting and annoying since they had tried to prevent it from happening. Hlothere knew not to mentioned the subject until his brother had calmed some.

Hoping a different approach would work Hlothere asked, “What has your interest in Ireland, brother.”

Rædwald did not speak or move at first. After a moment he raised his eyes without moving his head to look up at Hlothere.

Under his breath and barely audible Rædwald muttered, “Damn raiders.”

Not understanding his brother Hlothere asked, “What was that, brother?”

Rædwald lifted his fists off the table and stood erect. He looked at Hlothere and asked, “How many times over the last few years have we had to deal with raiders from Södermanland?”

Hlothere had not expected the conversation to go this way. He had to take a moment to think. “I know of two times. Once before the war with England when Chief Haukr landed in Gloucester. He fled before Sumarliði could bring him to battle. The second was during the war when Haukr landed in Glamorgan. Again he fled when an army came close to him.”

Rædwald caught a slight look of pain on Hlothere’s face. The army he spoke of was the remnants of his brother’s army after Hlothere’s defeat at Melrose. Sigfrið had the army regrouping in Powys afterwards. When the raiders appeared he began to move the army south. Sensing trouble Haukr fled before Sigfrið came near.

With some anger in his voice Rædwald said, “ Over the last two years Haukr and others from Uppland, and Gotland have raided Devon, Oriel, Rhinns, and Argyll. Do know what they all have in common?”

Hlothere was not liking the questions as he had not been following recent raids. Rædwald sensed Hlothere’s despair and said, “I should realize you have not been concerned recently with the coming and goings of raiders in the Irish Sea. You have been busy with replenishing the treasury and reestablishing efficient tax collection since the war with England.”

Rædwald chuckled seeing the relief in his brother’s face. “Therefore I shall answer my own question. They all are vassals of King Snorri of Svea Rike.”

Hlothere knew his brother had a plan brewing and wanted to know what it was, “Interesting brother.”

Rædwald was about to speak when a noise of someone humming floated into the chamber. With wondering looks Hlothere and Rædwald looked at one another. They then turned their heads toward the entrance.

Mayor Strua, Chancellor, stepped into the room. Under his right arm he held a scroll. Humming as he walked he approached the king. Oblivious to all the mayor continued his journey across the room at a brisk. Some sort of sixth sense triggered and Strula realize he was being scrutinized by the king and his brother. Now being self conscious he stopped humming and slowed his pace.

Seeing the awkwardness in Strula Rædwald smiled and said, “Strula, my dear chancellor what do have under your arm there? Quick bring it here.”

Strula was still wary as he approached his king. Once before the king he bowed. He reached under his arm and grabbed the scroll. He bowed and as he was handing the king the scroll he said, “This arrived this morning.”

Rædwald took the scroll and before he began to unroll it said, “You know what it is, so if you please.”

Still recovering from his awkward entrance Strula cleared his throat, “It is the signed betrothal contract with King Refr of Norge concerning the marriage of his son Prince Hakjell to Hextilda Æthelwealdsdotor daughter of the late Earl Æthelweald of Gloucester.”

j2h2hyY.png

With a large smile on his face Rædwald began to unroll the scroll, “Perfect, just perfect.”

Rædwald read the document in particular King Refr’s signature and seal. As he did so Hlothere walked over and stood next to Rædwald so he could too read the document.

Rædwald smiled and looked at Hlothere and said, “An alliance with Refr could be advantageous dealing with these raiders.”

Both Rædwald and Hlothere turned slowly and looked at Strula with sly grins. Strula looked horrified. The last thing he wanted was to take a trip to Refr’s capital in far off Kemi. Given the fact that Refr was also involved in numerous wars and revolts safety was a major concern.

Seeing Strula’s distress Rædwald chuckled, “Don’t worry old friend there is no trip to the far off reaches of the Gulf of Bothnia. Refr is involved in too many conflicts to be of any use for. How many wars is he fighting?”

Hlothere made a face as he thought, “I think at last count it was nine.”

The number surprised Rædwald, “Nine?”

Hlothere nodded.

Disappointed in losing a potential ally Rædwald said, “That does not help us with our problem.”

Confused and realizing he was absent for the conversation Strula asked, “Problem? What problem?”

Rædwald returned to the map and then looked at Strula, “We were discussing the problem with raiders in the Irish Sea who are vassals of King Snorri of Svea Rike.”

Strula was still confused, “They have not landed on Jorvikian soil in years.”

Hlothere walked around to the other side of the table from his brother. As he did so he dragged his hand along the map, “That is because our coastal patrols have been able to thwart their landings. We know of at least a dozen times they approached our coast.”

Rædwald looked at Strula, “It has been costly to maintain such vigilance. It also wears on those who must do the patrolling. We need something to convince Snorri to control them. A punishment of some type.”

Strula still felt he was missing something, “What type of punishment? An attack, a war?”

Hlothere thought it was time to add some levity to the moment, “We could recruit some raiders of our own and send them off to Svea Rike.”

Rædwald raised his eyebrows and looked at his brother. He knew he was up to something.

Hlothere knew an opportunity to tease his old friend Strula and was going to take it, “We will need someone to lead them. Someone from Council would lend a seriousness to such an adventure. Since it is a raiding party he would have to be Norse.”

Being the only one of Norse blood on the Council Strula eyes widened. The color drained from his face. Strula looked desperately at Rædwald. Rædwald at first was stern but then laughed.

“Enough brother. You will give the good Chancellor a seizure and I need him.”

Strula looked at Hlothere who had a huge smile on his face. Strula returned the smile with a look that said he will get his revenge some day.

Rædwald turned serious, “You are correct Strula a war is what may be needed to teach Snorri a lesson.”

Strula now feeling better that he knew what was being discussed, “A tribute war?”

Rædwald already knew the answer to that, “No that will not do. Svea Rike is not a wealthy kingdom. As a matter of fact Snorri is almost bankrupt. If we make him a tributary they would use raiding to pay his tribute. That would not do.”

Hlothere was lost for ideas, “Then what can we do?”

Rædwald smiled. It was his turn to tease, “We take something from him.”

Hlothere was growing impatient, “What could we take?”

Rædwald smiled and pointed to the map. Hlothere and Strula followed his finger down to the map. Both looked surprised at where he was pointing.

Hlothere then looked up at Rædwald and asked, “Dublin? But you do not have a claim.”

Rædwald nodded. He had anticipated such a point. “That is where our good Chancellor comes in.”

Rædwald looked at Strula. Strula now understood. While he knew it would be difficult it was better than heading off to Scandinavia. “It would be difficult and it could be costly.”

Rædwald looked at Strula. “Can you do it?”

Strula who was enjoying the attention now replied, “Yes.”

Hlothere ran his hand through his hair. Now it was his turn for doubts and confusion. “How can you do it?”

Strula smirked. Now he was in charge and the expert. “You are of the blood of Ragnarr Loðbrok. At one time or another Ivar the Boneless and Björn Ironsides ruled Dublin. It will take time but a connection can be found.”

Rædwald knew Strula meant a connection could be fabricated. A smile came over the king. “Very good.” Rædwald looked sternly at Strula and said, “You now have a new task, Chancellor. Do not disappoint me.”

Proud that his king had confidence in him Strula replied, “I will see that it is done.”

Rædwald nodded. Strula bowed. Rædwald motioned that he could leave and Strula turned and walked out of the chamber.

Once Strula exited Hlothere looked at his brother. He knew there was more to this than raiders. “Taking Dublin will not end raiding and you know it. What is your true plan?”

Rædwald tried to look innocent. Rædwald knew Hlothere understood him, sometimes better than he knew himself. “I want Ireland for my Eadweard. He will inherit Mide from his mother. We will keep Tír Eoghai, Ulaidh, and Connachta under our thumb. When his time comes Eadweard can conquer them outright or make them tributary.”

Hlothere could see his brother formulating such a scheme, “What of Ewan and Scotland. You have spent time and blood supporting him. He controls Oriel and Tyrconnell.”

Rædwald had plans for Scotland. He just was not ready to reveal them, “In time Ewan will no longer be king and the new king will no longer warrant our support.”

Hlothere knew his brother was not telling all and that he would not at this time so he nodded and said, “I am sure in due time you will share you plans.”

Rædwald smiled. Sensing that Hlothere still had something on his mind Rædwald asked, “I feel you still have something to discuss.”

Hlothere rubbed his hands together nervously. He knew what he was about to say could be contentious, “What of our brothers Hjalmar and Swæfræd?”

Rædwald was never enthused to discuss his wayward brothers as he considered them. Hjalmar we will discuss at a later date. With him I have much to ponder.”

Hlothere had not thought Rædwald would ignore Hjalmar at this time. But then again his brother was always scheming so what was on the surface might be all that there was. “And Swæfræd?”

Rædwald smiled and almost laughed. Hlothere for a moment thought his brother may have gone mad. “He is no longer our concern. A higher authority is in taking over.”

Hlothere’s eyes widen. Something awful must have happened.

Rædwald laughed at his brother’s reaction, “No, he is not dead or injured….yet.”

Hlothere could not contain himself, “Yet? What is happening?”

Rædwald was enjoying torturing his brother, “Mother is handling the matter.”

Hlothere was truly surprised, “Mother! When does Swæfræd arrive?”

Rædwald smirked. He knew his brother was going to have a major reaction with the next bit of news, “Swæfræd does not need to travel. Mother will visit him.”

The news hit Hlothere like a huge punch in the gut. He almost staggered, “Mother is traveling. Is the world ending?”

Rædwald smiled, “Perhaps for some. Given the news of the last few days mother feels that it is necessary for her to visit her son and explain the world to him.”

Hlothere regained his composure. “Does Swæfræd know?’

Rædwald had a evil grin, “Not yet but he will soon.”

Hlother returned the evil grin, “The question is will mother kill him or the stress of knowing she is visiting kill him?”

Rædwald laughed

• 1Love
Reactions:
A visit from one's mother can be pretty darned daunting.

Reactions:
A shift to Ireland... which makes sense since there's nothing else to really do on the Isles at the moment. England's in a truce, much of Ireland are tributaries and Scotland has already been dealt with. Of course, getting that claim could take the length of the England truce...

Reactions:
A visit from one's mother can be pretty darned daunting.

Yes that is so true. The game has Eadhild as craven. I have portrayed her while being craven when it comes to her children, well that is a different story. I have known a few mothers who won't stand up for themselves, but when it comes to their children the devil better take cover.

A shift to Ireland... which makes sense since there's nothing else to really do on the Isles at the moment. England's in a truce, much of Ireland are tributaries and Scotland has already been dealt with. Of course, getting that claim could take the length of the England truce...

I saw the opportunity when it comes to Dublin. I missed it in the previous play through and Aquitaine grabbed it. They already have Leinster. I hate fabricating claims. If it does not happen fast it takes years and years, even decades.

Working on the next chapter. It was originally part of the previous chapter but when I reworked the chapter it became its own. But this meant it needed a major rewrite. I am now on the second draft and hope to finish it tonight. Depending on when it could get posted late tonight or tomorrow. I will say one word about it: lechery.

Reactions:
Working on the next chapter. It was originally part of the previous chapter but when I reworked the chapter it became its own. But this meant it needed a major rewrite. I am now on the second draft and hope to finish it tonight. Depending on when it could get posted late tonight or tomorrow. I will say one word about it: lechery.

Wait... no... he didn't. He couldn't! I mean, I've never ACTUALLY seen what I'm thinking in CK2 games before, though I've heard it's possible. But you did say he arguably surpassed my Angevins, and Geoffrey has checked off everything BUT that one. (As that one is impossible for Geoffrey).

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Wait... no... he didn't. He couldn't! I mean, I've never ACTUALLY seen what I'm thinking in CK2 games before, though I've heard it's possible. But you did say he arguably surpassed my Angevins, and Geoffrey has checked off everything BUT that one. (As that one is impossible for Geoffrey).

Boy this game has given you impure thoughts:D

It is not quite that but close, real close as you will see.

Reactions: