• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have rather enjoyed Öysteinn, especially in that chapter. His "going rogue" is handled well, partially because he doesn't act as you'd assume a player would (crush a peasant revolt, hunt the shattered retreating army down).

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's what happens when you leave the regency to those Anglo-Saxon and Celtic landsmen. How would they know that boats, applied correctly, will save the day?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Even with this victory there is a very long laundry list of things to do.

The list is indeed long. The war is far from over.

I have rather enjoyed Öysteinn, especially in that chapter. His "going rogue" is handled well, partially because he doesn't act as you'd assume a player would (crush a peasant revolt, hunt the shattered retreating army down).

Jorvikian honor had been stained with the loss of Ath Claith and only one thing had to done. Never had a Jorvikian city fallen to an enemy before this.

When I started writing the regency I was not sure how was going to do it. Ofieg was only a couple of years old. Not much source material there. As i have written Öysteinn has become one of my favorite characters of this time period. He will be a central figure for some time.

That's what happens when you leave the regency to those Anglo-Saxon and Celtic landsmen. How would they know that boats, applied correctly, will save the day?

Know your enemy. If you forget that you will be doomed.

Next chapter is undergoing some final edits and I hope to post it over the long holiday weekend. The chapter after that is in finished draft but needs editing. They center around the ongoing Scottish War and some behind the scenes shenanigans. After that I am have some choices to make as how the story progresses.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.6.1 - April 1033 Jorvik, Jorvik
Chapter 9.6

April 1033
Jorvik, Jorvik

Vagn entered the Council Chambers and looked around the room. He had not been present at a Regency Council meeting in a year. He wondered how much had changed since he departed Jorvik with Harold and his army. Seeing Jarl Padern he made his way toward the marshal.

Padern saw him and smiled offering his arm in greeting, “Þegn Vagn, it is good to see you.”

Vagn took Padern’s outstretched arm in greeting, “Jarl Padern, I hope all is well.”

Padern nodded, “In these troubling days, the best that can be.”

Vagn grinned, “I understand.” Vagn looked at the other members and said, “I do not see Eormenric.”

Padern replied sternly, “And you will not.”

Confused Vagn asked, “Is he ill?”

Padern scoffed, “Ill only in faith. The Bishop of Furness was arrested as a Cathar heretic a week ago.”

Shocked Vagn responded, “It is shocking a man of his great faith could be misguided.”

Padern chuckled, “He was not misguided. He was their leader.”

owCVjBS.png

Vagn shook his head, “Who is now Court Chaplin?”

Padern pointed to a bishop across the room, “Bishop Winstan of Burton.”

PUqDwnC.png

Vagn nodded.

There was the loud clang of the Crier’s staff striking the floor. His voice bellowed out, “The Regent of Jorvik.”

Rígán entered the room and made his way to the council table. The other members took their places. Bishop Winstan said a quick prayer and Rígán looked at Vagn saying, “It is good that Þegn Vagn is able to join us fresh from victory in Ireland.”

All eyes turned to Vagn. He knew other than Rígán no one else heard the news he carried. Vagn cleared his throat, “It is with great joy I report Lord Öysteinn has retaken Ath Claith.”

SGyvKQO.png

There was a pounding of fists on the table and several “Hear, hear,” uttered in recognition.

Jarl Ealdmund looked at Vagn, “What of Lord Öysteinn and his army.”

Vagn was prepared for the Jarl of Powys question but still felt discomfort in responding knowing Ealdmund would not like the answer, “He marches north to find and destroy Earl Malmure.”

Irritated Ealdmund replied, “The French can tend to Malmure. The Scottish marshal is attempting to retake Scone. To counter that effort the French have dispatched Duke Gauthier of Poitou and 3500 men to deal with Malmure. Dunstaffnage has fallen to the French and now they lay siege to St Moluag. It is only a matter of time before the Scottish are defeated. I am sure Öysteinn can spare troops to aid Bedford.”

d7woHkc.png

Vagn was glad Padern spoke, “No I agree with Öysteinn. We must fight one war and finish it before we send troops to fight another particularly one not of our doing.”

With his face turning red with anger stood leaning on the table with his hands and looking toward Padern Ealdmund responded, “What do you insinuate, sir?”

Padern chuckled slightly, “Nothing but they are your peasants.”

Ealdmund was about to speak when he was interrupted by the loud thud of Rígán’s fist slamming onto the table. Ealdmund slowly sat down. Rígán spoke sternly, “There will be no troops to Bedford until the Scottish surrender. Once the Scottish War is done Lord Öysteinn and his army will be ordered to Bedford.”

Rígán stared at Eladmund who returned the glare. After a few moments Ealdmund dropped his gaze. Rígán took his eyes from the spymaster and turned to Mayor Strula. “Chancellor, you have other news from Scotland.”

Strula nodded, “Yes, Lord Regent. Earl Malmure is no longer Regent of Scotland. Conall, the Court Physician was named so.”

There was murmuring around the table. Winstan spoke, “Is he not blind?”

Strula nodded, “Not completely but close enough.”

Confused Winstan asked, “Why?”

To his surprise Vagn found himself responding, “If the war is lost, who better to surrender than a blind man. Better for the other members of their regency if it is not a nobleman who capitulates.”

Vagn’s answer earned him several looks of approval.

Smiling Rígán asked, “What of our neighboring kingdoms?”

Strula shuffled some papers before him until he found the ones he wanted. Quickly skimming them he looked up and at the other council members.

“King Muirgius of Connachta is still reeling from his failed attempt at claiming the crown of Cornwall. His treasury is nearly bankrupt and many of his vassals are displeased with him. Many more so now that he has shut the gate of his keep against the slow fever ravaging southern and central Ireland.”

O5e4ZWB.png

Strula looked down and selected a new document and continued, “Fresh from her victory over Muirgius Queen Gwen of Cornwall finally forced Chief Gandalfr of Léon to surrender. In doing so Riceneu was able to exert his claim and usurp Léon from Gandalfr.”

rJ6OvR9.png

“England?” asked Vagn. Being away from Council as long as he had been his knowledge of the affairs abroad was lacking and England concerned him deeply.

Strula looked at Vagn, “I was coming to that.”

“As all should be aware two months ago King Ælfgar declared war on Queen Gwen to make Cornwall tributary to England. We have just received word Gwen’s army defeated an English army led by Earl Wulgar of Kent at Bath.”

R33QPTr.png
NtZCz8z.png

Ealdmund pounded his fist on the table, “Good first blood to the lady.”

Heads around the table nodded their approval.

Rígán broke the good mood by saying, “It is only the opening battle. The war is far from won. We must watch the progression of this war. England has Tír Eoghain as a tributary, they do not need Cornwall. If things begin to go bad for the Queen, we may need to consider help.”

Winstan coughed slightly to bring attention to himself and then asked, “Will King Diogo aid Ælfgar in war against Gwen?”

Strula looked at Ealdmund. Ealdmund nodded and Strula answered, “After Diogo’s victory in the Portucalese War for Adelfonso’s Claim on Asturias de Oviedo there has been a falling out between England and Galicia. Ælfgar has not asked for aid and Diogo has not yet asked for aid in his newest war to Revoke Porto from Duke Nuno.”

iLwaSSl.png

Confused Winstan asked, “A falling out, what kind of falling out?”

Strula again looked at Ealdmund. The chancellor hesitated and the spymaster finally spoke, “The kind of falling out which occurs when certain earls and dukes think England always comes to the aid of Galicia, but Galicia never reciprocates.”

Padern chuckled and motioned toward Ealdmund, “I wonder where these earls and dukes got such thoughts.”

Everyone laughed and Ealdmund smiling broadly, “One never knows.”

Returning to serious Rígán, “And lastly Aquitaine?”

Strula again looked through his papers.

“King Thierry is bogged down in North Africa. He fights a holy war to take Tangiers and battles a revolt to liberate Mauritania from his rule.”

The room was silent and Rígán was about to move onto another subject when Winstan interrupted, “What of our ally France. Nothing has been spoken of them?”

Rígán glanced at Strula saying, “We have forgotten Bishop Winstan is new to the Council.”

Strula nodded, “There is not much to report. King Nicolas’ forces have Duke Dietrich’s well in hand. It is only a matter of time before the French are victorious in this Insbruckian War for Helferich’s Claim on France.”

Winstan nodded his appreciation of the report.

Rígán fixed his eyes on Padern. The marshal felt uncomfortable under the regent penetrating gaze as he asked, “Jarl Padern what can you tell us of the ongoing Gwyneddian Civil War?”

Padern let out the breath he had realized he was holding. He was afraid another topic was going to be broached. His nerves subside some as he responded.

“To all of our regrets the war continues on. Countess Mildrith wins battles. Over the last eight months she has found victories at Clun and Shrewsbury, but she cannot achieve the ultimate victory.”

JtOMrdA.png
qLH7y2j.png

Winstan again showing he was the newest member asked, “Why cannot she not find victory if she continues to win battles?”

Padern took some pity on the new court chaplain, “While her army is large enough to defeat Jarl Thurcytel it is not large enough to successfully lay siege to any of Thurcytel’s holdings.”

Winstan nodded, “I understand.”

Padern turned back to the entire council, “She continues to resist any overtures to end the war.”

Rígán frowned, “That is regrettable.”

Rígán looked down at the end of the table where individuals sat who were important enough to be in the chambers but were not officially Council members. Usually this would be the Court Physician, commanders, and other invited guests. During this regency Queen Mother Sarrazine normally attended as she now did. Prince Sigeberht sat next to her.

“Prince Sigeberht as Court Physician do have news for the Council?”

Sigeberht looked up from the table he had been staring at for most of the meeting. The prince looked very withdrawn. The imprisonment of his wife and son weighed heavily upon him. At first, he appeared confused but the gentle touch of Sarrazine’s hand on his hand as it rested on the table helped him clear his mind.

“Only the epidemic in Ireland is a concern at this time. Slow fever burns in the Kingdom of Connachta in the counties of Cill Dara and Connachta as previously mentioned. In our kingdom it effects only Hlymrek and Ossory. The illness had not spread beyond these places but within them it still ravages on.”

Rígán again brought his gaze to the same end of the table, “Queen Mother Sarrazine I believe you wish to address the Council.”

Sarrazine smiled, “Yes I do.” She looked over those sitting at the table. “I wish to extend my gratitude to the Council for honoring my wishes by rejecting the recent marriage proposal from King Vojnomir of Bulgaria to marry Tomislav Ljubomirov. While it was an honor to receive such a request, I feel it is more important for my son, the king, to have his mother close by at this time.”

All around the table nodded.

Padern whispered to Vagn, “The marriage having no political value to the kingdom made the decision that much easier. Bulgaria is too distant to be of any value to us.”

Vagn was shocked at Padern’s statement. He was brought out of his state of shock by Rígán announcing the meeting over. The members rose and began to leave the chambers. Vagn hurried over to Sigeberht who was still accompanied by Sarrazine. Seeing Vagn approaching they stopped and waited. Vagn stopped before them.

Looking at Sigeberht Vagn said, “Milord, I wish to personally apologize for what has happened at Ath Claith. I worry everyday about the welfare of Princess Richenza and Hjalmar.”

Sigeberht tried to smile but failed, “I thank you Þegn Vagn. It was not your fault and I am truly honored by your concern for my wife and child. It is more than many who sat at that table have shown.”

Confused Vagn said, “I do not understand.”

It was Sarrazine who responded, “You have been vacant from these chambers for a long time and do not understand what has been occurring in secret.”

Hearing this Vagn felt a shiver run down his spine.

Sarrazine continued, “I know the reason the marriage to the Bulgarian was truly rejected. There was nothing to gain from it.”

She looked directly at Vagn, “There are some on Council who wish me far from here. They want to control the king completely with no hindrance from any.”

The color had drained from Vagn’s face as he replied, “I did not realize. We had heard some rumors on the campaign.”

Now Sigeberht spoke, “It is worse with the factions that thrive in the shadows. They plot to make the Council more powerful making the king obtain their approval on certain actions.”

Feeling the anger building Vagn asked, “Who would do so?”

Looking sad Sigeberht replied, “Countess Katarina of Hereford, Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia, and Jarl Padern of Deheubarth.”

Seeing Vagn’s face, Sigeberht added, “Yes the Marshal himself.”

Vagn looked over his shoulder at Padern who was speaking with Rígán. Vagn then responded, “I knew Katarina was favoring returning to Gavelkind Succession. I did not realize she was involved in other factions. And a member of Council also being involved is very disconcerting.”

8oLmYiR.png

Frowning Sarrazine replied, “It is more unsettling than you realize.”

Wide eyes Vagn asked, “How?”

Sarrazine answered, “We believe they are close to making their demands to Council. Rígán offers no opinion but we know he secretly supports it and will not oppose the demands.”

Vagn shook his head in disgust, “What can I do?”

Sigeberht replied, “Win this damn war.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
The kingdom is beaten almost eated from within.

• 1Like
Reactions:
All those children on thrones... O tempora, o mores.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I thought the same thing! All those children, all those regents. I imagine the in-fighting in all those courts. All while the British Isles burn.

Quick question: Are you playing on the new patch or did you roll back? If you are playing on the new patch, how is that working?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick question: Are you playing on the new patch or did you roll back? If you are playing on the new patch, how is that working?

I am currently playing the game in 3.0.1.1 and it is going well. I did not patch to 3.1 or 3.2 because I read somewhere that 3.1 will break previous games. Not sure if it true and I have not worked up the nerve to test it.

I started playing 3.0.1.1 in March 1063. I am currently at June 1080. I still have quite aways to go with the older version before I start any stories based on 3.0.1.1.

However, I am able to load the older versions to get screenshots. I do not use it for map shots since it has the new unassigned counties shown.

Have you tried 3.1 or 3.2?

Reactions:
The kingdom is beaten almost eated from within.

Problems are everywhere but lack of leadership is the real problem.

I thought the same thing! All those children, all those regents. I imagine the in-fighting in all those courts. All while the British Isles burn.

There are quite few children as rulers. It has been a problem with dealings with some of them.

Reactions:
I am currently playing the game in 3.0.1.1 and it is going well. I did not patch to 3.1 or 3.2 because I read somewhere that 3.1 will break previous games. Not sure if it true and I have not worked up the nerve to test it.

I started playing 3.0.1.1 in March 1063. I am currently at June 1080. I still have quite aways to go with the older version before I start any stories based on 3.0.1.1.

However, I am able to load the older versions to get screenshots. I do not use it for map shots since it has the new unassigned counties shown.

Have you tried 3.1 or 3.2?

I did play on 3.1. In fact, the entirety of Geoffrey's reign was played on 3.1. Didn't really notice too much in the way of issues. However, I saw Paradox people say 3.2 was pretty much certain to break your game, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to make the effort to roll back. Right now, I just go to my various save points to take new screenshots, as it was all made before I had Monks and Mystics, so the English portraits are under the old style so I'm "reshooting" certain easy events to recreate.

I asked because there are always points where I look at things and I say "Is this properly in character?" and wonder if replaying might be better. Or an avenue I didn't consider because I had a much vaguer idea of friendships and alliances than I did before and I feel like it would make more sense for story. But thanks!

Reactions:
I did play on 3.1. In fact, the entirety of Geoffrey's reign was played on 3.1. Didn't really notice too much in the way of issues. However, I saw Paradox people say 3.2 was pretty much certain to break your game, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to make the effort to roll back. Right now, I just go to my various save points to take new screenshots, as it was all made before I had Monks and Mystics, so the English portraits are under the old style so I'm "reshooting" certain easy events to recreate.

I asked because there are always points where I look at things and I say "Is this properly in character?" and wonder if replaying might be better. Or an avenue I didn't consider because I had a much vaguer idea of friendships and alliances than I did before and I feel like it would make more sense for story. But thanks!

I never seem to take enough screenshots when I am playing. I usually don't do enough or even the right portraits. I have come to learn it is because when I am playing I am not sure how the story is going to develop and who the main characters will be. As I am writing I too second guess if things "are properly in character". This had led me to two major replays, the last half of Raedwald's reign and all of Eadward's. One of the biggest change was I did not have raedwald change his culture to Norse. By the time I realized how out of character it was because Jorvik then was just another Anglo-Saxon kingdom (no fun there) I was four kings and about 150 years past him.

Keeping friends and adversaries in character can be challenging and on a few occasions I deviated from the traits in the game for the sake of the story. Writing the regency chapters has been very difficult since the main characters and their actions are driven by the AI. I have had to make some allowances to keep the story going and making sense.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.6.2 - June 1033 Fortevoit, County of Gowrie, King of Scotland
June 1033
Fortevoit, County of Gowrie, Kingdom of Scotland

Vagn met Uhtræd on the path to the command tent where they were both going to attend the morning meeting.

After exchanging greetings Vagn said, “I have found this last year of serving under Öysteinn to very rewarding. When I first met him, I was quite skeptical of him.”

Perplexed Uhtræd asked, “Why did you have doubts?”

Slightly embarrassed Vagn replied, “The talk of his madness I suppose.”

Uhtræd chuckled, “As you have seen it in no way harms him. Perhaps as some say he is divinely inspired.”

Vagn was one of those who believed so, “Perhaps he is.”

Uhtræd stopped and looked at Vagn who came to a halt also. Uhtræd said, “I am bothered with all his victories and triumphs Council ignores him.”

Confused Vagn asked, “Why do say so? He has the full support of Council.”

Uhtræd glared at Vagn, “Why do they not make him Marshal?”

Vagn looked down at the ground and then back at Uhtræd, “They cannot.”

Showing his annoyance, “Why not?”

Vagn took a breath feeling bad he was not comforting Uhtræd, “He is unlanded.”

Uhtræd shook his head, “Then grant him a title. Make him a baron or a count.”

Feeling more uncomfortable because he felt Uhtræd was right, “It is complicated. Removing someone as powerful as Jarl Padern could create discord amongst the nobles. With this war the kingdom needs no further disharmony.”

As they resumed their walk to the tent. Uhtræd replied, “I still feel it is not satisfactory.”

Trying to save face Vagn responded, “If it is any comfort Rígán treats him as Marshal in everything but name. He follows and supports Öysteinn advice regarding this war.”

Chuckling Uhtræd, “How does Padern feel about this?”

It was Vagn’s turn to chuckle, “He is not pleased but he knows after his performance as a commander in the field he has no support to change the situation.”

Uhtræd nodded, “Good.”

Vagn chuckled. He had no love of Padern. He did change the subject, however, “What of this French Duke Gauthier of Poitou is he a man we can trust?”

Uhtræd thought for a moment. “I am not sure. Unlike his marshal Mayor Adrien of Chaumont, he was willing to leave the safety of the siege lines and battle the Scottish.”

Vagn chuckled, “Not that Malmure had much of an army left. I am still puzzled why Malmure tried to lay siege to Scone in the first place.”

XLbn83a.png

Uhtæd smiled, “Perhaps soon you can ask him. He is holed up with King Gilchrist and the Regent Conall here in Fortevoit.”

As they finished their conversation the command tent appeared. They walked into the tent which was a beehive of activity today. Öysteinn and Duke Gauthier stood in one corner conversing with each other. The French duke had wisely relinquished command of the siege when Öysteinn arrived. Despite Öysteinn’s natural mistrust of the French he appeared to get along with the Duke of Poitou.

Vagn and Uhtræd approached Öysteinn and Gauthier. Seeing them Öysteinn said, “Ah, Mayor Uhtræd and Þegn Vagn. Now all we need is Count Yngvar.”

A few moments later Yngvar hurried into the tent. Öysteinn smiled, “Good we are all here we can begin.” Öysteinn lifted a note he held in his hand to emphasize its importance.

“I was given this a short time ago.” He opened and glanced at the note and then continued, “St Molaug has fallen to Mayor Adrien and the French.”

g9uoDCK.png

The three Jorvikian commanders responded, “Hear, hear.”

Yngvar asked, “Will Adrien come here and help us?”

Looking sorrowful Gauthier answered, “No. My countryman feels it is more important to complete the conquest of Argyll and will land siege to the last holding of the Argyll Tribe.”

Öysteinn raised his arm to silence any further discussion, “I feel it will not be necessary.”

Intrigued Vagn asked, “Why Lord General?”

Öysteinn smiled, “I feel once Conall learns of the fall of St Molaug he will surrender.”

Vagn asked, “Why do think such?”

Öysteinn continued to smile, “I am sure he will be convinced further resistance and bloodshed is futile.”

Skeptical Vagn said, “You seem sure of this.”

Öysteinn looked at Vagn, “I am very sure since you will carry the message to Conall.”

Surprised Vagn, “Me?”

Öysteinn nodded, “Are you not on Council?”

Now feeling uncomfortable. He was Steward not the Chancellor who would normally handle such things. “Yes, but why will they believe me?”

Öysteinn reached down on the table and lifted a document. He gave it to Vagn who looked it over. “It is a copy of the surrender agreement for St. Molaug.”

With wide eyes Vagn shook his head, “What if they refuse?”

The evil smile was back on Öysteinn’s lips, “Explain to them they have no other course of action.”

Vagn took a deep breath and cursed his luck.

Half a day later Vagn found himself being escorted into the great hall of the barony. Instead of Baron Roderick of Fortevoit, who resided now in a dungeon in Jorvik, the boy King of Scotland, Gilchrist sat upon the baron’s chair. Standing next to the fifteen-year-old king stood the Regent Conall whose services as regent would only be required for another nine months. The blind man leaned heavily on the arm of the king’s chair to steady himself. Off to the right side of the king, several steps from the chair stood Earl Malmure of Oriel, Marshal of Scotland.

It was Malmure who spoke first, “Þegn Vagn of Warwick. It is good to see you again.”

Vagn smiled and bowed slightly, “Earl Malmure I wish the circumstances were different, but it is good to see you well.”

In an annoyed voice Conall spoke, “What is it you want Northman?”

Taken aback some by the tone of the regent Vagn replied, “I bring news and an offer.”

Conall scoffed, “Lies and demands are more like it.”

Gilchrist raised his hand and said, “My dear regent we should hear our guest.”

Confusion swept over Vagn. He looked at Malmure but the earl was stoic. Although Vagn thought he detected a slight grin.

Gilchrist continued, “He has made a great effort to be here.” Gilchrist looked at Vagn, “Speak your news.”

Vagn took a breath not knowing what to expect, “The French have taken St Molaug.”

Conall immediately yelled, “Lies!”

Vagn offered the surrender document. Malmure stepped forward and took it from Vagn. The marshal looked over the document. He looked up at the king and said, “It is the truth. The document bares the seal of Bishop Alpin.”

Conall responded, “Such things can be forged.”

Malmure stepped toward Gilchrist and handed him the document. The teenager viewed the document and returned it to Malmure. Malmure took the document and brought it back to Vagn. Handing it to Vagn he stated, “Word has reached me by other means of the surrender.”

Conall looked in the direction of Malmure and angrily said, “Why have you not spoken of this before.”

Glaring at Conall, Malmure replied, “I only received it an hour ago.”

“Enough,” called Gilchrist, “I tire of this bickering.”

Vagn was surprised how much authority the underage king exerted. Gilchrist looked at Vagn and asked, “What is your offer, Þegn.”

Now truly wondering how his offer would be received, Vagn said, “Surrender and end this war.”

Before any others could speak Conall exclaimed, “Demands, that is not an offer. It is a demand.”

Malmure began to speak but Gilchrist stared him into silence. He returned to looking at Vagn, “Terms?”

Vagn took a deep breath, “The war ends. The French return home and all captured holdings are returned. King Gilchrist will become tributary to King Ofieg.”

Conall started to protest but Gilchrist slapped his hand and ordered, “Silence.”

Malmure then spoke, “Captured nobles?”

Vagn replied, “Those that can afford ransom shall be allowed to pay such for their release. Those who cannot are at the good graces of their imprisoner.”

Conall quickly shouted, “Never.”

Gilchrist looked at Conall and angrily stated, “There will be no more outburst in my presence.”

Conall returned the anger and replied, “I am regent. You have no power.”

Gilchrist smiled, “In that you are correct, but the regency council ultimately holds the power not you alone.” The king paused to let the statement be absorbed by Conall. “The Council instructed by a unanimous vote for you to accept a surrender offer if one was presented.”

Conall was stunned. He stood shaking. Gilchrist smirked, “What are your instructions, Lord Regent?”

Conall did not respond. He finally realized he had been played into a corner and he would forever be the scapegoat for the surrender.

Gilchrist asked, “Lord Regent?”

Conall mumbled what sounded like yes and nodded.

Vagn breathed a sigh of relief. The war was finally over.

22wz6Ss.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well a victory in a war is a good thing, but I am really not sure it is worth it.

Padern is really being a millstone.

Reactions:
Well, let's hope the Scots prove worth all that trouble. If they can fight as well as they did in this war, they could be a useful thrall to have... and Jorvik should have them for a while!

Reactions:
That was about time. I agree that the Scots put up an amazing fight and might make for a very useful vassal once they're properly in line.

Reactions:
Well a victory in a war is a good thing, but I am really not sure it is worth it.

Padern is really being a millstone.

Time will tell whether the war was truly worth it. Looking back I find how things turn out in the long run to be interesting and surprising.

Well, let's hope the Scots prove worth all that trouble. If they can fight as well as they did in this war, they could be a useful thrall to have... and Jorvik should have them for a while!

I find the Scottish armies to be easy to defeat but in order to beat them you must take their cities and the war score for the cities are small. As a result it one must take a good number of cities and that takes time. They will provide a good number of troops.

That was about time. I agree that the Scots put up an amazing fight and might make for a very useful vassal once they're properly in line.

It was a long war indeed. We will have to see their worth.

The Scottish War in finally over but there is still a peasant war in Bedford to deal with. With the war over scheming can return to its proper place in the kngdom.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.6.3 - October 1033 Leicester, County of Leicester
October 1033
Leicester, County of Leicester

Öysteinn sat in the chair in guest quarters of Countess Wulfrun. His feet rested on a bench near the burning hearth. The general was enjoying the ale his hostess had supplied. On the bench next to his feet sat St Eustace. The Roman general shook his head as he watched Öysteinn.

Seeing the saint’s displeasure Öysteinn asked, “What troubles you, old friend?”

St Eustace looked around the chambers and replied, “This. This triumphant march back to Jorvik.”

Öysteinn finished a gulp of ale, “I will admit it has been a pleasure, but it does grow tiresome after some time.”

St Eustace nodded, “The people look to you as a hero in these uncertain times of a confused and treacherous regency.”

Öysteinn grinned, “Have I not earned some glory? I brought them victory against Scotland. And as promised I crushed Cenfus of Bedforder and his peasant army at St Albains ending the Bedford Peasant Revolt.”

OZVbRH1.png
32OkmfH.png

St Eustace looked down, “Careful my general. Many Roman Emperors returned to Rome victorious only to find the glory fleeting and a sharp blade around a dark corner.”

Öysteinn finished his ale. He stood and walked to the table where the pitcher was kept. He filled his mug and returned to his seat. “I do my duty and nothing else. I ask for no land or holdings. I am a simple solider.”

St Eustace grimly replied, “And now the Regency Council’s executioner.”

Öysteinn’s eyes narrowed and leaned forward in the chair, “Careful you may soon go too far, friend. You best of all know my feelings on executing prisoners.”

St Eustace glared at Öysteinn, “Yet, you hung Cenfus.”

Annoyed Öysteinn responded, “He rebelled against his God appointed liege and by doing so condemned himself.”

euGmaoO.png

St Eustace looked sorrowful, “You must take care. Storms are brewing all around.”

Confused Öysteinn said, “You speak in riddles.”

St Eustace seemed to look into the distance, “Here in Leicester forces move against the young king. Countess Wulfrun for one.”

M4zcIYO.png

Surprised Öysteinn asked, “What can a thirteen-year-old girl do to a king and his regent?”

St Eustace looked at Öysteinn with a stern face, “Grow up mistrusting the crown.”

Now confused more or perhaps it was the ale Öysteinn asked, “How? She is the granddaughter of King Eilif.”

St Eustace nodded, “Aye, she is through Eilif’s bastard daughter Judith by Countess Cyneswith of Bedford. But not all of the king’s children were raised by those who thought highly of the king. Thurfrith of Penrith, husband of Cyneswith never forgave Eilif for his affair with Cyneswith and after her death he held a position of great influence over his son, and half-brother of Judith, Ealdmund who succeeded his mother as Count of Bedford.”

Taken back Öysteinn asked, “Ealdmund? Jarl Ealdmund of Powys and Spymaster.”

St Eustace again nodded, “Yes, one in the same.”

Öysteinn replied, “But he has staunchly supported Rædwald and Eadweard, and is a member of the Council, a true friend of the crown.”

St Eustace frowned, “During the reign of Eilif it was not so. As regent his father convinced him to oppose Eilif. Thurfrith constantly reminded Ealdmund he was descended from the deposed Kings and Queens of Mercia, something that still haunts Ealdmund to this day.”

Shaking his head in an attempt to clear the cobwebs Öysteinn said, “I see not how this matters to your so called trouble brewing.”

Remorsefully St Eustace replied, “Judith was raised in a family who opposed the crown. Even after marrying Countess Maria of Hereford and was no longer regent Thurfrith persuaded Ealdmund to marry her to Æthelweald, son of Count Eadgar of Northampton. Eadgar was a known rival of Eilif and his sons followed the path of their father. After Æthelweald died of consumption his bother and now Count of Northampton arranged for Judith to marry Count Harold of Liecester. Harold would be a member of many factions that opposed King Rædwald. Upon Harold’s suicide Wulfrun became Countess. Many here blame Rædwald for Harold’s death. One of the most vocal is Eastman who as you know as regent of Wulfrun.”

Understanding Öysteinn said, “I see.”

St Eustace shook his head and frowned, “I foresee when Wulfrun becomes countess in her own right her mistrust of the House of Hvitserk will be a bother for King Ofieg.”

Öysteinn finished his ale. This time, however, he did not refill his mug. He remained seated. He tried to put on a smile to lighten the mood.

“Not all is dark. Prince Sigeberht ransomed his son Hjalmar and in month or two he will be able to ransom his wife, Princess Richenza.”

ypVk0x1.png

St Eustace nodded and Öysteinn continued, “Bishop Cynehelm paid his own ransom and is now free. After King Gilchrist paid the ransoms for Mayor Æfric, Mayor Alan, and Chief Andrew the Council used some of the funds to free Harold.”

1ci1Vwy.png

JFoeT1t.png

5tjCEfb.png

The lines on St Eustace’s suddenly seemed deeper and he looked as if he was in pain, “It grieves me Countess Mildrith continues her futile war with Jarl Thurcytel. She occupies Aberffraw and wins battle after battle but after more than four years she is still no closer to victory.”

Öysteinn wished he had gotten more ale before replying, “She has a little over a thousand troops under her banner. More than enough to defeat in battle the just over one hundred serving Thurcytel as she did again near Shrewsbury. Her one thousand, however, is not sufficient to lay siege to any of Thurcytel or his vassals’ holdings.”

OwedJXy.png

St Eustace shook his head in despair, “The war drags on with no end in sight. The true losers are the people of the Jarldom of Gwynedd and County of Gloucester.”

Öysteinn nodded and stood. He went to the table and poured another ale. He returned to his seat and took a long draught.

“King Ælfgar has defeated Queen Gwen first at a second battle near Bath and most recently at St Germans. Now he lays siege to Tintagel.”

AlBU8M9.png
mT5kVIz.png

St Eustace not finding any reason to smile, “Ælfgar has gained the upper hand. Cornwall will fall and become tributary to England.”

Öysteinn took another swig of ale, “England grows stronger and we argue with ourselves.”

St Eustace nodded sadly, “A sign of these dark times.” He paused and smiled slightly, “With Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia withdrawing her support for the Council Increasing its Power faction, the conspirators cannot make any demands.”

DvOlGxD.png

usxmmtd.png

Öysteinn finished his ale. He rose and walked to the table. This time he did not refill the mug but left the empty mug on the table. He turned to St Eustace, “I feel I should retire now. I must leave early in the morning.”

St Eustace stood, “Yes, you must. You have a new army to command in Jorvik.”

Öysteinn chuckled, “If you call 250 men an army, then yes.”

Smiling St Eustace replied, “It is good Council approved your suggestion to raise a permanent retinue.”

Öysteinn nodded, “It is a start.”

St Eustace bowed, “Until next time.”

Öysteinn replied, “Yes until then.”

St Eustace faded into the shadows of the room. Öysteinn turned and headed toward the bed.

Reactions:
Öysteinn is perhaps not well suited to life at Court.

That is my opinion reading all of this. Either that or he is one of the greatest actors of the age.

Reactions:
In fairness to Öysteinn, most of those Roman generals also played heavily in politics, aiming to be kingmakers. And when their influence waned... that blade was never far behind by the next wannabe kingmaker (or Emperor hoping to free himself).

That said, I'm in this weird place where I wonder if the in-fighting in Jorvik is not all bad? Vassals who fight themselves can't grow strong enough to fight the king and the king is in no shape to fight right now given his age and discord on his council. England grows stronger, yes, but should it dare attack, it will have to deal with the troublesome Scots, a more unified Jorvik, and France. A task, I suspect, is beyond England at the moment.

There is one other good thing, in theory. The king is young, and could be promised to a powerful vassal or foreign king for security and/or alliance purposes. So perhaps, while frustrating, things are not as dark as they seem.

Reactions:
Öysteinn is perhaps not well suited to life at Court.

That is my opinion reading all of this. Either that or he is one of the greatest actors of the age.

Öysteinn knows he would not be welcomed in the court. He is considered a foreigner despite being Norse. He is as he said a soldier and is resigned to that life. As long as he keeps winning he will be important and in many ways far mor important than some on Council and in the court. His only flaw is thinking he is immune to intrigue.

In fairness to Öysteinn, most of those Roman generals also played heavily in politics, aiming to be kingmakers. And when their influence waned... that blade was never far behind by the next wannabe kingmaker (or Emperor hoping to free himself).

That said, I'm in this weird place where I wonder if the in-fighting in Jorvik is not all bad? Vassals who fight themselves can't grow strong enough to fight the king and the king is in no shape to fight right now given his age and discord on his council. England grows stronger, yes, but should it dare attack, it will have to deal with the troublesome Scots, a more unified Jorvik, and France. A task, I suspect, is beyond England at the moment.

There is one other good thing, in theory. The king is young, and could be promised to a powerful vassal or foreign king for security and/or alliance purposes. So perhaps, while frustrating, things are not as dark as they seem.

Öysteinn knows the fate of those generals who try to be kingmakers and tries to stay out of court politics. With the retinue being raised he will remain with them instead f returning to court.

At this point the in-fighting is not bad. It is mostly posturing. No one faction is able to gain an upper hand. When someone does get a little too power a bribe is paid and they go away.

At this juncture England is trying to reassert itself but you are right they are alone. The alliance with Galicia is gone, not that it was much help. English levies died fighting for the King of Galicia more than fighting for their own king. However, te extra income form the tributaries could be used to hire mercenaries which could level the playing field some. While France is an ally they have their own wars to fight. They could become more of burden down the road. As for Scotland, yes, they will be there when called but that is a two-way street. As time progresses Scotland and its influence get very interesting.

A few games notes. I purposely kept Öysteinn off of Council. Without land he was more suited to be a general only. To place him would have meant removing a powerful lord from Council and their displeasure at such an event could lead to a faction making a demand. The AI played Scotland in a way I never expected during Ofeig's reign and I will say the outcome was surprising. I hope to be able to capture the flavor of what will occur as time goes on.

The next subchapter is almost ready. I plan to post it tomorrow. It is a very short chapter but it is a fitting end to this chapter and wraps up the Scottish War and its immediate aftermath. It also begins to ask the question, "was the war worth it?"

Reactions: