• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ælfgar's fatalism sounds appropriate, I have to say. Decent successions seem to be in short supply around the Channel.

His pessimism is well founded. England/Anglo-Saxon kingdoms have always been more or less at the mercy of Jorvik. King Knut for all intents and purposes allowed England to form and protected it. The House of Northumbria has ruled since the beginning and now an outsider is about to step in. Not a good situation for England from the nobility and also for Jorvik. House of Northumbria is a known enemy. The Germans are not.

Quite a frightening update in its way, with a sense of finality to it.
Ælfgar has been around long enough to know his time is short and the England he will leave is on very shaky ground. He is the last hope for the Anglo-Saxons in many ways.

Ælfgar can sire a son and then kick off - so England can join the rest of the world in long king regencies.

As much as I'd like to believe England will be finally dealt with - I feel like they're a group that just won't go away. Can Jorvik realistically take enough de jure English lands to usurp the crown at this point in the near future? I know they take Hwicce here, but do they have claims on those southern lands?

The regencies are driving me nuts at this time. They are everywhere.

England is still around because Jorvik has few claims and Casus Bellis against the English lands. Some of the English lands Jorvik conquered early on such as Northumberland, Mercia, and East Anglia are now de Jure to Jorvik. At the moment Jorvik controls Hwicce and portions of Essex, not enough to usurp the title.

Next chapter we finally meet the young king Ofeig. This was the first opportunity I have had to write about him. The subchapter is written and require some final editing which I hope to do over the next few days. Hopefully it will be posted over the weekend.

As far as playing forward I am over 60 years in the future. There is a change in rulers so I am going to take a break from the game and get some writing done. I am still trying ot decide on how the story will progress. I will carry the narrative through the regency. After that I am not sure. I may switch to historic for a time. I need to see how the tale flows and my feelings about it.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.7.4 - April 1035 Jorvik, Jorvik
April 1035
Jorvik, Jorvik

Standing prominently in the training yard, Tadg mac Broccán watched several boys go through their practice routines with their swords. As he watched he contemplated how he had come to his current lot in life as Weapons Trainer to King Ofeig and other children of the court. Being the brother of Queen Crístina of Mide and Jorvik he had enjoyed a place of importance and power as Spymaster of Mide. Once Eadweard had inherited his mother’s lands upon her death Tadg found himself relegated to an invisible and forgotten member of the court.

However, Rígán, former lover of Crístina, remembered his fellow former Council member of the Petty Kingdom of Mide and appointed him to train Ofeig in the use of weapons and intrigue. While not a glamorous post he was once again close to the ruling power of the kingdom. Some day he desired a return to a Council seat. Tadg smirked. He was a patient man and knew his day would come and had already taken steps to see it would come sooner than later.

hG5B4Fi.png

Those patients were at this moment being put to the test by the young king. Following the traditions of his house formally set down by Jarl Sigfrið I, over the last three years since he was six Ofeig had been doing weapons training. Many days Tadg wondered if the boy had retained one ounce of what he had been taught with today being one of those days.

YVDjQqG.png

The weapons trainer shook his head in disgust. Ofeig was a far cry from the fierce Northmen of old such as Ragnarr Loðbrok and King Knut. Pampered by his over protected mother he commonly was inattentive to instruction and lazy in application of techniques. Sarrazine had on several occasions given Tadg a dressing down when she felt a lesson or practice session were too dangerous for her son. As the training regime had grown more strenuous and precarious the dressing downs came more and more often. Tadg gave Sarrazine some leadway knowing Ofeig was her only child and the nature of Eadweard’s death but he grew weary of the tongue lashings lately.

Her interference had gone beyond Tadg to the other trainees. Many were hesitant to engage the boy king to the best of their abilities for fear or reprisals from the Queen Mother. The result was Ofeig never lost a practice duel. With each unearned victory Ofeig’s view of himself swelled to the point it became more and more intolerable for Tadg and the other students. Tadg was overjoyed hearing of the Queen Mother’s marriage to King Olav of Damark.

OBxSBPz.png

Watching Ofeig and his lackluster performance on the practice grounds Tadg grew incense. He searched the grounds for one who would not hesitate in a practice duel. He needed someone who understood what the true costs in a life and death fight were and why weapons training was paramount to one’s survival. He needed a warrior or some one from a family of warriors that had not been watered down from years of ruling in luxury.

A devilish smile crossed his face as his eyes came to rest on the son of Öysteinn, the great general and hero from the Scottish War. Despite being the youngest student at age six Alfgeir was perhaps the most aggressive pupil on the practice field. He seemed to care little about who his opponent was or their skill level. Beyond his aggressive nature Alfgeir exhibited a great skill with the sword and knife and could best almost every other student no matter his age. More importantly due to his age he had not been influenced by Sarrazine.

P0bNstB.png

“Alfgeir,” called Tadg.

Alfgeir and his partner stopped dueling and looked at the weapons trainer.

Tadg called out again, “Alfgeir, come here.”

Alfgeir and his partner pointed their practice swords toward the ground and bowed to each. Alfgeir then jogged over to Tadg.

The young boy was concerned he had done something wrong. He knew Tadg rarely interrupted a duel unless there was some grievous offense or error. Slightly afraid he asked, “Yes, Lord Tadg, have I done something that does not please you?”

Tadg realized his actions had unnerved the boy smiled and replied, “No, no, quite the contrary.”

Confused Alfgeir responded, “Milord?”

Still smiling Tadg replied, “It has come to my attention you have been dueling boys twice your age.”

Now horrified Alfgeir said, “I can explain.”

Tadg raised his hand, “No need to.” The smile returned, “It is good to see someone taking the initiative to become better. One cannot learn and improve by battling those who are beneath them. One grows by overcoming ever increasing challenges.”

Realizing he was being praised and not being reprimanded Alfgeir blushed and looked down at his feet, “Thank you, milord.”

Tadg put his hand on the boy’s shoulder and nudged him, “Come walk with me.”

Surprised Alfgeir replied, “Where to?”

Tadg grinned, “You will see.”

Tadg with Alfgeir in tow crossed the yard to where several other boys were training. Coming to a particular dueling site Tadg halted. In the area Ofeig was dueling another boy. Watching the two it was near impossible to determine who was putting less effort into the practice. The opponent was having difficulty losing to the boy king since Ofeig was obviously putting so little energy into the training.

Tadg looked at Alfgeir, “I want you duel here.”

Confused Alfgeir replied, “You want me to duel Arni?”

Tadg chuckled, “No.”

Alfgeir eyes widened with surprise, “You-u mean the king?”

Tadg grinned, “Yes, is there a problem?”

Not sure how he felt about the issue Alfgeir replied, “No, there is not.”

“Good,” replied Tadg. He looked into the dueling ring and shouted, “Arni.”

Arni and Ofeig stopped practicing and looked at Tadg in confusion and wonderment. They bowed to each other and Arni approached them.

Arni said, “Lord Tadg?”

Tadg smiled at Arni and replied, “Go find Eadger and tell him you need a new partner.”

Arni nodded, “Yes, milord.” Tadg gestured he should leave. As instructed Arni ran off to find Tadg’s assistant Eadger.

With a serious look Tadg looked at Alfgeir and said, “I want to duel to your fullest skills.”

Frightened Alfgeir responded, “But he is the king.”

Nodding Tadg replied, “Yes he is, and he needs a challenge.”

Still unconvinced Alfgeir protested, “But I could hurt him.”

Tadg grinned, “Perhaps. Just don’t kill him or maim him.”

Alfgeir continued protesting, “Why must I do this?”

Tadg smirked, “This is for his own good. He needs to learn to battle a superior foe.”

Out of excuses Alfgeir nodded and lowered his head.

“Now go,” Tadg ordered. Tadg looked at Ofeig and said, “Ofeig, Alfgeir is new partner.”

Ofeig chuckled and nodded. With distain Ofeig watched as Alfgeir drew near.

Once Alfgeir faced him Ofeig said, “What are you doing here?”

Sheepishly Alfgeir answered, “Tadg said I am your new partner.”

Ofeig laughed, “Three years my younger and beginner.”

Alfgeir glared at the boy king.

Tadg yelled, “I want both of you to fight your hardest. Anything less will disappoint me and you know how I respond to disappointment.”

Both boys knew precisely how Tadg responded to disappointment and neither looked forward to that punishment.

Ofeig now returned the glare as Tadg called out, “Begin.”

They bowed. Both lifted their practice swords and shields. Without any warning Alfgeir struck first. Ofeig blocked the blow with shield. Absorbing the blow his arm felt numb and the shield felt unnaturally heavy. He never felt such strength in an attack and could not fathom a six-year-old had delivered it. The ferocity of the attack also angered Ofeig. He could not believe someone would have the audacity to come at him with such intensity.

Ofeig now launched an attack of several quick strikes. Alfgeir stood his ground and easily deflected the blows with his shield and sword. Astounded that Alfgeir effortlessly countered his attack Ofeig stepped back to regroup.

Alfgeir saw this as an opening and sprung his assault. After two hits to his shield Ofeig’s arm was numb and the shield slipped from his grasped. The shield hit the ground with a thud. Holding his sword with both hands Ofeig barely was able to parry Alfgeir’s strikes. The third thrust was a backhanded swing that hit Ofeig’s sword hard enough to knock the boy king off balance. Ofeig stumbled back and another swing from Alfgeir was barley fended off. Ofeig, however fell backwards. The next thing Ofeig knew he was laying on his back with the tip of Alfgeir’s sword at his neck.

Satisfied at the result Tadg yelled, “Enough!”

Alfgeir sheathed his sword and offered his hand to Ofeig. Angrily Ofeig slapped the hand aside and rose on his own.

“Again,” shouted Tadg.

They squared off again. For a total of four times the two combated each other. Each time ended the same with Ofeig either disarmed or on the ground with Alfgeir standing over him.

At the conclusion of the fourth battle Tadg said, “You are done.” Ofeig quickly stood and ran off trying desperately to hold back the tears and hide from the embarrassment he had suffered.

Tadg stood with his hands behind his back observing as Ofeig ran off the field. Part of Tadg was concerned and worried the lesson may have gone too far. After a moment of contemplation Tadg was confident it did not. He was sure Ofeig would learn from it and realize he had to undertake his lessons more seriously. Most importantly Tadg prayed Ofeig learned he would have to stand on his own two feet now his mother was no longer present to protect him.

A short time later after the practice was concluded as Ofeig was leaving the practice area he sighted several boys congregating in the bailey. He could see them laughing and pointing at him. As he approached them, he could make out some of the statements such as, “He lost to a beginner; How can such a weakling be king; He couldn’t defeat a baby; He ran away crying.” They were calling him, “Ofeig the Defeated.”

Ofeig’s blood began to boil. He caught sight of Alfgeir in the group. Seeing him laughing and joining in the taunting Ofeig’s anger boiled over. He clenched his fists and charged toward the group. Teasing the boy king from afar was one thing. Having the king charging at them was another. Most of boys melted away from the group leaving only a few including Alfgeir.

The speed and ferocity of Ofeig’s charge caught Alfgeir completely by surprisre and he was unable to defend himself. Ofeig reached out and pushed Alfgeir. Alfgeir fell backwards and landed on the ground. The back of his head struck ground dazing him.

Ofeig jumped on Alfgeir pinning him down with his knees on Alfgeir’s chest. He punched Alfgier in the face several times screaming, “You dare to mock me!”

While being smaller Alfgeir was far stronger than Ofeig. He was able to push the boy king off of him. Ofeig found himself on all fours as Alfgeir started rise. Ofeig did not let him finish and lunged at Alfgeir putting his arms around Alfgeir’s waist. Both boys fell to the ground in a heap. They rolled around grappling trying to get an advantage on one another.

Without warning hands grabbed both of them and pulled them apart. They were stood upright and spun around. They found themselves looking at a extremely red faced Tadg with anger burning in his eyes.

Tadg growled, “Enough!”

Ofeig began to speak, “He star—”

Tadg threw his hand up and roared, “I don’t want to hear it. Disgraceful, both of you! You should know better.” He looked at Alfgeir, “That is not the way the son of our greatest general acts.” Alfgeir hung his head. Tadg turned to Ofeig, “And the King of Jorvik in a common brawl.”

Again Ofeig tried to protest and again Tadg silenced him, “I do not care.” He turned to Alfgeir and ordered, “Off with you. Go to your quarters.”

He turned to Ofeig, “I believe you are late for your theology lesson.”

A third time Ofeig attempted to protest and Tadg interrupted, “I think you leave now. And while you are there pray to God to give the intelligence to act like a king.”

Ofeig stood still. Tadg glared at him and pointed toward the keep, “Now go.”

Ofeig glared back but turned and started walking to the keep. After the boy king was out of hearing range Tadg turned to his assistant Arni and with a grin said, “Well there appears there is some hope for him.”

Arni nodded, “But at what costs?”

Confused Tadg asked, “What costs?”

Arni frowned, “He and Alfgeir will never be friends.”

Tadg looked at Arni and replied, “A king cannot afford friends.”

4l6Lq6A.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well, to be fair the monarchy has not been well served by its so-called friends of late.

That said, Ofeig could be walking down his own perilous path.

Reactions:
The weapons trainer shook his head in disgust. Ofeig was a far cry from the fierce Northmen of old such as Ragnarr Loðbrok and King Knut.

True, but not necessarily a far cry from the latest kings of Jorvik and their siblings. Ofeig seems to fit in well with the likes of them, which may not go so well for the lad.

And ironically, despite Öysteinn's attempts to avoid politics, his family gets dragged into a mess anyway. And arguably into a situation worse than the current regency council, given that this is the actual king.

Reactions:
Responding here is a bit difficult without giving a away too much.

Well, to be fair the monarchy has not been well served by its so-called friends of late.

That said, Ofeig could be walking down his own perilous path.

Yes the regency has proven to very difficult to deal with and it has harmed the kingdom in many places.

In a little bit of a spoiler, you are correct regarding Ofeig and the path he goes now.

True, but not necessarily a far cry from the latest kings of Jorvik and their siblings. Ofeig seems to fit in well with the likes of them, which may not go so well for the lad.

And ironically, despite Öysteinn's attempts to avoid politics, his family gets dragged into a mess anyway. And arguably into a situation worse than the current regency council, given that this is the actual king.

At the present time Ofeig is an enigma with little to go on as to how he will mature.

Öysteinn has to be shaking his head at this time. He is a solider and wants to stay that way but his family is at court and unfortunately easily dragged into the conflicts and intrigue.

I know the next update has taken a little extra time. I can blame my computer as my old one went critical over the last week or so. It was making noises that were similar to fingernails on chalkboard. I was lucky as it did not completely die before I got a new computer. With the new computer there has been a slight learning curve with how things are organized and getting used to the new one.

Now getting to the next sub chapter. It is ready. I need to upload photos. Given the hour I will most likely post it tomorrow.

Reactions:
Glad to hear you were able to get a new pc before the old one got transferred to the Great Circuit Board in the Sky

Reactions:
Chapter 9.7.5 April 1035 Constantinople
April 1035
Constantinople

Ealdmund cursed as he finished the last of his ale. Looking around the room he could not find the man who he just met. Something about the man did not feel right. Ealdmund was beginning to worry he had underestimated the Imperial spy network within the seedy element of the city. As he scrutinized the room, he felt every patron, and serving wench were watching him like hunters did with their prey.

Ealdmund sighed. This had been another dead end in a series of dead ends. A few more failures such as tonight he would be out of coin and favors. Ealdmund was coming to the belief a large portion of the population of this city made their living telling lies to foreign spies for money.

A serving wench approached and offered more ale. Ealdmund shook his head in refusal. He had lingered here too long. Since arriving in Constantinople Ealdmund felt hidden eyes watching him. On many occasions he was not sure his shadow was his own or a stalker.

Trying to be indiscreet Ealdmund quickly and with no fanfare rose from his seat. Pulling his cloak close around him he began to negotiate his way to the door. He desperately wanted to lift his hood to hide his face but knew such an action could draw unwanted attention. Melting into the crowd he found himself at the door. As he stepped into the street he pulled his hood over his head.

The spymaster stepped out into the crowded street. Hiding in plain sight in this environment would be easy. He was just another foreigner amongst countless others. Many in the crowd surrounding Ealdmund were Greek. Ealdmund found himself also jostling with Italians, Venetians, and Genoese. He even spied former enemies of the Empire such as Bulgars, Arabs, Berbers, and Turks in the crowd. There were nomads from Azar and Alan, mingling with Armenians, Poles, and Slavs. The number of Jewish merchants surprised the Jorvikian who saw little of them in his homeland. One group he strongly desired to avoid were Northmen who made up the Varangian Guard.

While the diversity helped to mask his presence, it made him uncomfortable. Home in Jorvik Ealdmund was mostly surrounded by his fellow Anglo-Saxons, and the ruling Norse. As the kingdom grew more and more Welsh and Irish became part of the composition of the kingdom. In the last years of Rædwald’s regain and throughout the kingship of Eadweard many Danes, Norwegians, and Swedish came to Jorvik seeking fame and fortune. The only foreigners he expected to encounter were the traders from France, Scotland, Cornwall, Aquitaine, and Brittany.

As he traversed the thoroughfare Ealdmund pondered what had brought him to this great city. In order to the place of power and prestige he once held something of epic proportions was required. An event or discovery which would alter the destiny of the kingdom would satisfy. Uncovering and returning to Jorvik with the secrets of the weapon know as Greek fire grant him his heart’s desire and make the kingdom even greater than it is now.

However, over the last week or so Ealdmund’s spirits began to wane. He was not making progress. He was feeling he was chasing his tail. Tonight’s meeting was another in a ever increasing series of disappointments. As each day passed Ealdmund was coming to grips with the possibility of returning home empty handed.

Nearing the place where he was staying the feeling of being followed began to rise within Ealdmund. He stopped suddenly and spun around. Seeing nothing but just indiscreet faces in the crowd he took a breath. He continued on his way until he reached the alley leading to his rooming house.

Again, he looked behind him. After seeing nothing out of the ordinary he was beginning to feel foolish. He glanced down the alley. With the sun setting the shadows in the alley were growing long. He now began to regret his choice of hideout. At the time the seclusion of the roomig house seemed appropriate. Now he was wishing for something more public.

Ealdmund took a deep breath and reassured himself all was safe and stepped into the alley. He had gone about a quarter of the way to the rooming house when something moved in the shadows. His heart jumped into his throat. Instinctively he reached for the dagger hidden in his cloak. He hurried his pace.

He had not taken a few steps when a large figure moved out of the shadows. It was quickly followed several more. Ealdmund mouth and throat became dry. He stopped and turned to go back up the alley. To his horror four large armed men were approaching him from that direction.

In the gathering gloom Ealdmund could see the men wore fine cloaks of purple. There armor appeared to be the best money could buy. Each man carried large swords on their belts. He turned back to the way he was going and found four men outfitted as the men behind him barring his path.

He knew he was surrounded by members of the Varangian Guard. He found himself in an odd way feeling proud he warranted eight members of the Emperor’s most trusted men.

So, this is how it ends. In a gloomy alley at dusk in a city far from home.

One of the men spoke. To Ealdmund’s surprise he spoke Jorvikian Norse.

“Ealdmund Thurfrithsson Wiglafing, Jarl of Powys.”

Ealdmund knew there was no point in denying who he was. These men obvious knew. Even in his current state the man speaking to him in the language of his kingdom intrigued him. Ealdmund responded, “I am he, and to whom do I have the pleasure?”

Without showing any emotion the guard replied, “I am Skuli of the Varangian Guard.”

Trying to hide his fear Ealdmund said, “I did not expect one of the Emperor’s guard to speak the Norse of Jorvik.”

Skuli sneered, “I was once from Lancaster.”

Ealdmund chuckled nervously, “You are far from home.”

Skuli’s sneer turned evil, “As are you, Spymaster.”

Ealdmund felt the sweat beading on his brow. Things had decidedly taken a bad turn. Trying his last chance to talk his way out he stated, “I protest this intrusion. I am a diplomat of King Ofeig of Jorvik with official business for your Emperor.”

Skuli smirked, “You may be or not.”

Growing more defiant and desperate Ealdmund knew he could not best these men in a fight. Even as a younger man he doubted he could have done so. Now his only means of escape, his words and intellect, were failing him. He had one last attempt, “I demand to see your superior officer.”

Skuli smiled. Ealdmund did not like the look of this smile as Skuli replied, “You will.” He paused for a moment and gestured. Ealdmund could not discern the gesture as Skuli finished, “By the order of Basileus Romanos II you are hereby placed under arrest for the crime of spying.”

As he finished Ealdmund was grabbed by the arms from behind. A sack was quickly thrust over his head and secured. He was promptly placed in shackles. He could hear Skuli barking orders in Greek. Ealdmund’s Greek was enough that he learned he was being taken directly to the dungeons. A push from behind confirmed his destination.

alidI9Y.png
HGmIXIZ.png

May 1035
Jorvik, Jorvik

Tadg looked around to see if anyone would see him enter the solar. Once he was sure no one would notice him and the person he wished to speak was alone he passed into the solar. There he found Padern gazing out of one of the windows. Hearing Tadg approaching the jarl of Deheubarth turn to face the Irishman. Padern’s face was dominated by the smile he wore.

Extending his arms in greeting Padern said, “Come, come my dear Tadg.”

ghJKzZv.png
pwwQUMA.png

Tadg reached out and the two men hugged in greeting. Breaking apart Tadg now also smiling said, “I gather you have received good tidings from afar.”

Still smiling Padern nodded and replied, “Everything worked flawlessly.”

Tadg chuckled, “Then Ealdmund was arrested.”

Padern took a few steps away from Tadg saying, “He is now residing in the dungeons of the Emperor Romanos II.”

Barely able to contain his joy Tadg said, “Good, very good.”

Padern leaned against the wall, “Your acquaintance in the Varangian Guard was able to guarantee Ealdmund was discovered and brought before the Emperor.”

Tadg proud of himself chuckled, “I am glad I could be of service.”

Padern laughed, “Your service has ended the time of a man who should have been replaced many years ago. His bumbling cost Eadweard his life and the lives of countless soldiers in the field.”

Tadg nodded, “His departure was long overdue.”

Knowing the true reason for Tadg’s assistance, “Now nothing should bar you from becoming spymaster as your heart desires.”

Tadg grinned, “I only want what is best for the kingdom.”

Padern grinned knowing the truth, “I know you do. When the time comes in the meeting I will nominate you for the position.”

Smiling immensely Tadg nodded, “Thank you, milord.”

Padern gestured toward the door saying, “Now we should make our way to the Council Chambers.”

As the walked down the corridor a female voice called out to them from behind, “Jarl Padern, Lord Tadg.”

They stopped and turned to face the voice. The king’s aunt stood there looking at them.

Padern worked up a smile, “Princess Ælfthryth.”

JCPY9UW.png

Ælfthryth smiled and said, “Jarl Padern I heard you have just returned from Cardiff. How was visit?”

Still with the fake smile Padern replied, “It is always good to return home for a time. The Jarldom prospers in my absence.”

Ælfthryth nodded, “Your regent must be a fine ruler in your stead.”

Padern nodded, “Yes, my son Emrys does a superb job.”

Ælfthryth turned her attention to Tadg, “Lord Tadg I surmise you will be giving a report on how my nephew is progressing with your weapon lessons.”

“Yes, milady.” Tadg replied.

Ælfthryth smiled, “Good, I look forward to hearing it.

Surprised Tadg asked, “You will be attending the Council Meeting?”

Surprised Tadg and apparently Padern did not know she would be attending Ælfthryth replied, “Of course I am.”

Seeing the confused and surprised looks on Padern and Tag’s faces Ælfthryth chuckled, “You don’t know.”

Padern growing annoyed asked, “Know what?”

Ælfthryth seemingly not paying attention to them and in her own world, “I guess you would not since you both only returned to Jorvik in the last day or so.”

Padern was about to let his anger spill over, “What should we now? What did we miss?”

Smiling Ælfthryth replied, “Why my appointment to Council?”

On the verge of screaming Padern asked, “Appointment? Appointment as what?”

Chuckling Ælfthryth responded, “Spymaster.”

Padern and Tadg’s mouths dropped open. Tadg felt as if he had been punched in the gut as all his breath seemed to disappear. Padern clinched his fists in anger. He knew where to direct his anger and it was not at the princess.

Ignoring their reaction turned as she was saying, “You must excuse me. I cannot be tardy to my first Council meeting.”

She left Padern and Tadg standing in the corridor stunned and silent.

Several hours after the Council meeting had adjourned Padern stormed into the solar where Rígán sat drinking wine. With his fist clinched in anger the marshal crossed the room. Hearing Padern approaching Rígán put his cup down and stood. With his hand on the hilt of the dagger concealed under his shirt Rígán turned and faced Padern. He had been expecting the Jarl arrival and the fury that would accompany it.

eLG1hxj.png

Padern halted before Rígán and leaned into the regent’s face. With his nose inches from Rígán, Padern spoke, “How dare you appoint a spymaster without me especially after all we had planned.”

Rígán stared back into Padern’s eye which were full of fury. In a stern and controlled tone Rígán responded, “How dare I? Do you forget I am Regent of Jorvik. My word is the king’s word. I can appoint anyone to anything or fire anyone I feel is necessary.”

Realizing he may have pushed too far Padern retreated some, “Why? I understood we would decide together on such appointments.”

Rígán scoffed, “If understood such, why did you authorize a plan of your own regarding Ealdmund?”

Shocked Rígán knew Padern stepped even further back.

Rígán chuckled, “Do you take me for a fool. I knew what you and Tadg were planning. I just underestimated your insolence in carrying it out.”

Padern swallowed the lump that had been building in his throat, “Ealdmund was a problem needing a solution.”

Angerly Rígán replied, “He may have been a problem but it did not warrant his removal.”

Now Padern fired back in anger, “But his incompetence and inability to perform his duties.”

Rígán narrowed his eyes and looked directly at Padern, “Do me his military spying during the Scottish War?”

Padern replied, “One of many issues. He cost me a battle.”

Rígán shook his head, “Your own incompetence and arrogance lost you the Battle of Ath Claith from what I recall.”

Furious Padern replied, “You question my abilities?”

Rígán shook his head, “I merely state the facts. No other general had a problem with Ealdmund.”

Padern, his face red with anger stepped toward Rígán. Rígán gripped tighter on the dagger hilt. Rígán looked at Padern and stated, “Do not do something you will regret. You will find yourself in the dungeons below us or worse dead.”

Padern looked around. He realized Rígán and he were not alone in the room. Several guards in the room. At least two had loaded crossbows pointed at him. Padern stood down and retreated from an attacking position.

Rígán continued looking at Padern trying to detect any signs of an attack. As he did so he said, “Ealdmund may have been a problem to some degree. His wish to return to the good graces of the Council was bothersome at times. However, he performed his duties and put the kingdom first. When it was time and a suitable replacement found he would have been retired.”

Weakly Padern replied, “What of Tadg. He was once Spymaster of Mide.”

Rígán chuckled, “You were not a member of that council. I was a member as matter of fact I was marshal. Tadg was anything but competent. He was more concerned with his own personal gain. I would never have chosen him.”

Padern lowered his head. He had been bested. Without a word he turned and scurried out of the room. The whole time plotting one day he would have his revenge.

• 1Love
Reactions:
And how the crows bicker over the fresh kill

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Hopefully Rígán knows what he is doing. I'm not sure if a devious teenage girl who despises the king is the best spymaster choice for same king's security.

And very sad that there was no Death Star in Constantinople, only a vile trap :(

Edit: Gosh, I just noticed I botched the Admiral Ackbar reference. It could have been so easy...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I forget... where is Ælfthryth in the line of succession? Because people who have strong claims on kingdoms tend to make poor spymasters to the children who rule said kingdoms. Especially greedy ones who are easily bribed. ;)

And very sad that there was no Death Star in Constantinople, only a vile trap :(

Many Ealdmunds died to bring us that information.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And how the crows bicker over the fresh kill

This seems to be the best talent this group of Counselors has.

Hopefully Rígán knows what he is doing. I'm not sure if a devious teenage girl who despises the king is the best spymaster choice for same king's security.

Edit: Gosh, I just noticed I botched the Admiral Ackbar reference. It could have been so easy...

We will see if Rígán knows what he is doing. Ælfthryth will only have a short time as spymaster since she is betrothed to the King of France who will come of age in 2 years. So you can see this appointment was done out of spite.

Constantinople proved to be Ealdmund's undoing. His obsessions brought him doom.

I forget... where is Ælfthryth in the line of succession? Because people who have strong claims on kingdoms tend to make poor spymasters to the children who rule said kingdoms. Especially greedy ones who are easily bribed. ;)

Many Ealdmunds died to bring us that information.

Ælfthryth is 5th in line. Very unlikely she would become queen. We will have to see if she places family and kingdom first.

Thanks for the comments. They are part of what makes this fun. Seeing others enjoying the tale.

The next chapter is underway. The first sub chapter is almost done and should be posted in a day or two. In it all will discover what it means to be a suzerain of a kingdom with ambitions.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.8.1 - August 1035 Jorvik, Jorvik
Chapter 9.8

August 1035
Jorvik, Jorvik

Sensing his father’s discomfort, Alfgeir remained silent as they neared the Council Chambers. As his father’s page he knew he should speak. A page was expected to be concerned about his lord and to take action to ensure his well-being. However, being the first time, he accompanied his father in such a capacity without a tutor Alfgeir lacked the confidence to be decisive.

Seeing the internal conflict reflected in his son’s face and looking for a reason to delay his appearance in the chamber Öysteinn halted and looked at him. “What troubles you, Alfgeir?”

Surprised his father knew Alfgeir stumbled for words.

Öysteinn grinned, “A page must answer his lord without fear. There are times his life depends upon the words of his page.”

Alfgeir took a breath and replied, “Why are you uneasy about meeting the Council?”

Öysteinn chuckled, “You are conflicted over my own conflicts.” His smile grew, “You do have the makings of a good page.” Alfgeir smiled ear to ear as his father continued, “I am a solider, nothing more. I have no desire to be involved in the affairs of the council or court. I witnessed firsthand the price paid by those who are.”

Knowing his father was held in high regard and many thought he would be given a title and land to go with his current title of Lord General. Not wanting such an honor was contrary to what Alfgeir believed and he was confused, “I do not understand, father.”

rVm9hIr.png

Öysteinn tried unsuccessfully to show a good face, “Your grandfather Sumarliði was King of Damark. When I was a couple of years older than you are now Einar claimed he should be king and began a war to force his claim. Many of the men who had elected your grandfather a few years before now betrayed him and sided with Einar. After a brutal war Einar won and Sumarliði returned to Nerke to be its chief. The defeat rendered him depressed and his depression lead to a bitter and broken man. He directed his frustrations toward his family and courtiers. Once I grew old enough and tired of his abuse I left. At first I spent time as a mercenary and when the call came from King Rædwald to come to Jorvik I jumped at the chance.”

G1bt0hA.png
YBvwGj2.png

Alfgeir was stunned. He had never heard this tale or even a rumor of it.

Öysteinn smiled, “Here I have made a better life and that is why when I was informed of your troubles with King Ofeig I had you brought to me and made my page. I will not have you or brothers or sister suffer as I did. Do you understand?”

Alfgeir nodded, “Yes I understand. Is that why Kjartan Lord Harold’s page and not page for Count Yngvar of Lincoln?”

Slightly surprised Alfgeir knew of Yngvar’s request of Kjartan asked, “Who told you of Count
Yngvar?”

Without any thought of repercussions Alfgeir replied, “Mother.”

Öysteinn set his jaw and responded, “Unhuh, I should have guessed.” Öysteinn knew his wife, Sif, tired of being a soldier’s wife. He was aware she desired a title, and this disagreement had led to a rift in their relationship. “Your mother and I have different opinions regarding certain matters. Kjartan will learn much more as Harold’s page than with Yngvar.”

Alfgeir did not fully grasp his father’s displeasure with Sif telling Alfgeir of the count’s request. As a child it seemed unimportant now. What was important was they were about to enter the Council Chamber, a place his father obviously was not fond of so he asked, “If you do not like the Council then why are we here?”

Öysteinn laughed, “When you are summoned by the Regent of King Ofeig and that summons is delivered by the Commander of the Royal Guard you come.”

He patted Alfgeir on the shoulder and said, “Now we must get on with it.”

Öysteinn and Alfgeir entered the chambers and were directed to a place to sit until called.

As they settled into the seats Tadg passed them, his business with the Council concluded. Tadg nodded to Öysteinn and smiled at Alfgeir who returned the smile.

Being a warrior Öysteinn surveyed the room. He noticed first the ornate and plush king’s chair at the end of the table was empty. The chair was not centered on the table but pushed some to right. Next to the king’s chair was a ordinary chair in which the regent, Rígán sat. To right of the regent along the side sat Mayor Strula of Macclesfield. Next to the Chancellor was Princess Ælfthryth, now the Spymaster. On the left side the Marshal, Jarl Padern was placed. To his left was Þegn Vagn of Warwick, the Stewart. At the bottom of the table closest to Öysteinn was the Court Chaplin, Bishop Wistan of Burton.

Öysteinn watched several servants place a large map on the table and unroll the map. At this distance Öysteinn could not see what area the map covered. Rígán held a document in his hand which he appeared to be reading. Finished he pointed to Öysteinn saying, “Lord General would you come forward.”

Reluctantly Öysteinn stood. He indicated to Alfgeir he should remain. Feeling like a lamb being led to the slaughter the general slowly crossed the room. Nearing the table, he could comprehend the map. The map showed Scotland, English Lothian, Northern Ireland, and the jarldom of Northumberland. Öysteinn could see about half of Scotland was marked “Rebel” including the counties of Moray, Buchan, Ross, Caithness, Ross, Strathearn, Carrick, and Oriel.

“I had not grasped how large the rebellion was,” Öysteinn said to no one in particular.

“It is very large,” Rígán stated. Öysteinn did not realize anyone heard him and nodded. Pointing to the map the regent asked, “Beyond what you see here, what is your understanding of the state of affairs in Scotland?”

Öysteinn looked at the map and took a moment to gather his thoughts. He heard many rumors and innuendo and did not want to give the impression he was a gossiper.

“I know King Gilchrist was forced to abandon his war to revoke Strathearn from Earl Stephen when the earl became Duke of Galloway. There were rumors he still desired Strathearn.” Looking down at the map he continued, “From the map here, I gather the rumors are true and Duke Stephen did not take too kindly to the wishes.”

Rígán nodded, “You have assessed the situation very well. One Stephen refused the revocation Gilchrist found himself at war with not only Duke Stephen, but Duchess Lillias of Moray, and Earl Malmure of Oriel.”

Öysteinn rubbed his chin hearing of his old foe, “Malmure, now that is an interesting turn of events. I would have never guessed he would rebel against his king. Scotland must be a bigger mess than we suspected.”

5Pax47A.png
4dnD88d.png

Rígán chuckled, “We do value your opinion.”

Confused and growing a little angry Öysteinn replied, “I was summoned away from my soldiers to give my opinion on the state of Scotland. I am sure another could have suited you better.”

To Öysteinn’s surprise it was Ælfthryth who answered, “My good Lord General your assessment of Scotland is not why you were brought here.”

Now angry Öysteinn replied, “Then why am I here?”

The spymaster grinned, “We wish your opinion on fighting the Scottish specifically the Rebels.”

Öysteinn’s eyes widened with surprise and then narrowed as he thought on the matter, “Battling determined Scottish is not something I would relish doing anytime soon. Once in a lifetime is plenty for me.” Looking at each council member Öysteinn an unsettling thought crossed his mind. Fearful of the answer the Lord General asked, “Is war forthcoming?”

This time Rígán responded, “King Gilchrist has requested our assistance in this fight.”

Npt6h1f.png
lqOHx5O.png

Öysteinn’s mind screamed No. Unknowingly he clenched his fist and raised his voice, “Jorvikian blood should not be shed to help Gilchrist settle is what is obviously a problem, a Scottish problem, he initiated.” As soon as he finished Öysteinn regretted speaking. He had done what he abhorred and placed himself square into the politics of the Council.

Padern pounded the table with his fists, “We said, Lord General.”

Other than Vagn all the other counselors glared at Padern. Vagn for his part kept his head down looking at the table avoiding eye contact with anyone.

In a raised voice Rígán ordered, “Jarl Padern control yourself.”

Eyes burning with hate Padern glared back at Rígán and replied, “Gilchrist does not truly need us. He can easily defeat these rebels if he only tries. He only wishes to have our soldiers bear the brunt of the fighting and dying while his soldiers collect the glory and the spoils.”

Now it was Rígán who pounded the table with his fist. His anger reddening his face Rígán responded, “We are his suzerain and as such are obligated to protect him and come to his aid when called.”

Öysteinn had thought Wistan had fallen asleep suddenly stated, “Not honoring our obligation will be looked upon poorly. Trust would be lost. In the eyes of many we will find ourselves labeled oath breakers. We would be with the support of the pope.”

Padern scoffed, “I care not about that lunatic, Gregorius V who claims to be the Vicar of Christ.”

Wistan responded in anger, “Take heed Jarl of Deheubarth. You speak of our Holy Father.”

Padern chuckled, “Holy Father indeed. Do they not call him ‘Son of Lucifer’?”

3iI5bJS.png

Embarrassed Wistan looked down and did not respond. The pope’s many transgressions and cruelties were something that was spoken of in whispers and behind closed doors. Many wondered how such a man come remain as pope.

Padern looked around the table and continued, “And trust? We are surrounded by enemies. Do any of you think England, Cornwall, or Connachta trust us. They would sooner cut our throats than give us trust or respect.”

Rígán banged his fist on the table startling everyone. “We must fulfill our obligation otherwise those we wish to aid us will not respect their obligations.”

Padern muttered, “Fools.”

Öysteinn had heard tales of the bad blood between Padern and Rígán. Until now he had only half believed it. After witnessing the exchange, he was more convinced he wanted nothing to do with the life at court.

However, as a general he knew he had certain obligations. As a soldier he resigned himself another war with the Scottish was coming and he felt compelled to express his concerns.

“Milords, if I may.”

The muttering around the table subsided and all looked at Öysteinn. Welcoming the interruption Rígán asked, “Do you wish to speak Lord Öysteinn.”

Öysteinn nodded, “I do, milord.”

Rígán nodded, “Then do so.”

Öysteinn nodded and looked around the table, “If we are to fight this war we must consider many of the lords of this land will not look kindly on a war with the Scottish so close to the one we only concluded a little over two years ago. Their dissatisfaction could fuel many other problems within the kingdom.”

Padern smiled thinking he had gained an ally. Rígán stared at Öysteinn trying to determine the general’s motives. Finally, he asked, “Do you oppose this war?”

With no emotion Öysteinn replied, “My opposition or not is of no concern. I am a subject of the kingdom and as a commander of the kingdom I will do as ordered without question. I merely state what we all know is true.”

Rígán smiled. He felt satisfied although he was not if it was from knowing the Council would authorize aiding Gilchrist or watching the smug smile fade from Padern’s face after he realized Öysteinn did not side with him.

Looking at Öysteinn Rígán said, “You speak wisely. We do not want to upset the lords of land needlessly. Therefore, we raise the levies from the king’s own lands of County Jorvik and County Lancaster. With the retinue they will comprise your army. Will this suffice?”

Öysteinn rubbed his chin as he thought. Lancaster, Jorvik, and the retinue would give him close to five thousand. Gilchrist should about five thousand under arms at the present. He quickly estimated the Scottish Revolt could raise somewhere between four thousand and forty-five hundred.

With a stern face Öysteinn nodded, “Yes, Lord Regent, it will be adequate.”

Making as much noise as he could getting out of his seat, Padern stood. Shaking his fist at Rígán saying, “As my opinion as well as any other whose differ from the Lord Regent then perhaps the time has come for Deheubarth to forge its own path.

The way Padern looked at Vagn reminded him a master looked at dog who was at his beckoning call. The Jarl of Deheubarth spun around and without a look back stormed from the chambers. Vagn rose sheepishly, bowed awkwardly and hurriedly followed Padern.

KkMoFus.png
HS6tDeJ.png

Öysteinn did find some relief in Padern’s action. They meant that he was again conceding control of the armies to Öysteinn and there would be no meddling by the Marshal. Öysteinn shook his head knowing this was a far cry from when Padern’s father, Emrys, was marshal.

We have fallen so far from where we once were. Öysteinn looked around the chamber. He wondered if there would still be a kingdom for Ofeig to rule when he came of age or just a collection feuding lords.

The meeting was quickly adjorned. Öysteinn walked over to Alfgeir. The boy stood wide-eyed in a combined state of awe and confusion over the proceedings he had just witisnessed.

Öysteinn put his hand on Alfgeir’s shoulder saying, “Come now we must return to the army.”

Öysteinn and Alfgeir had just exited the chamber when a woman’s voice called out, “Lord Öysteinn, please wait.”

Slightly angry but curious Öysteinn stopped and turned to see Ælfthryth approaching. He bowed, “Princess.”

Ælfthryth smiled looking at both Öysteinn and Alfgeir. “So, this is Alfgeir.”

Alfgeir nodded, “Yes, milady.”

Ælfthryth continued, “I have heard much about you. You are very much like your father, a great fighter.”

Having the pretty young princess praise him, made Alfgeir blush. He mumbled, “Thank you.”

Still smiling the princess replied, “It is a shame you are not among us any longer.”

Now it was Öysteinn who spoke, “After the incident with the king it was decided he would learn more being my page.”

Now it was Ælfthryth turn to blush, “I did not mean to insult. In my opinion Ofeig had it coming.”

Tired of the small talk Öysteinn asked, “Is there something I can do for you princess?”

Ælfthryth nodded, “You seem troubled by this war. Can I ask why?”

Öysteinn took a breath and replied, “This is an unnecessary war. It is also dangerous.”

The princess nodded, “I can understand unnecessary, but dangerous?”

Öysteinn frowned, “Dangerous in many ways. The lords will not be happy with the war. When it is over Jorvik will have gained nothing. Gilchrist, on the other hand will become stronger.”

The jovial attitude was lost. Ælfthryth responded, “I understand your misgivings. However, we must honor our commitments to the Scottish king.”

The general shook his head, “We should have taken some land such from them instead of making them tributary. Sometime in the future we may find ourselves looking at a much stronger Scotland, a stronger Scotland we helped create.”

Ælfthryth was silent as she thought for a moment. With a slight frown she replied, “You have given me much to think about.”

She began to leave but Öysteinn called her back, “Princess can you answer a question for me?”

She nodded, “I will try.”

With some sadness and concern in his voices Öysteinn asked, “What can you tell me of Vagn’s actions? He served with me during the Scottish War and his mannerisms today were out of place for the Vagn I know.”

Ælfthryth frowned, “He supports Padern these days.”

Shocked Öysteinn replied, “How? Why? I know he does not care for Padern at all.”

The princess sighed, “Padern resolved a rather embarrassing matter for Vagn involving Vagn’s daughter Yrsa several months ago. Padern has called in the favor by demanding Vagn support his actions in the Council and any factions Padern is involved in.”

BSMARK1.png
RKF3V9V.png

Visibly disappointed Öysteinn responded, “I see. Thank you, milady.”

Ælfthryth nodded and excused herself. She left Öysteinn and Alfgeir standing in the corridor.

Öysteinn looked at Alfgeir and said, “Now do you understand why I want nothing to do with this den of unscrupulous scoundrels.”

Alfgeir nodded his agreement.

As they walked down the corridor Öysteinn could hear St Eustace say, “You forgot soulless wretches who care only for themselves.”

Öysteinn now found himself nodding in agreement.

PLhcJ1F.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It goes from bad to worse.

I am so glad Emrys is not alive to see it all

Reactions:
With no emotion Öysteinn replied, “My opposition or not is of no concern. I am a subject of the kingdom and as a commander of the kingdom I will do as ordered without question. I merely state what we all know is true.”

The man is far better at politics and diplomacy than he lets on.

Gilchrist certainly going to milk Jorvik's overlordship for all it's worth. But two can play at that game. Once can join a war and not do much in it, after all. Or earn some gold by raiding the more lightly defended areas, rather than the ones of the most strategic importance.

Reactions:
It goes from bad to worse.

I am so glad Emrys is not alive to see it all

The kingdom is along way from the days of a strong ruler. Having the Council rule is making things difficult in the long run. Emrys' son is proving that he is not like his father in all the bad ways.

The man is far better at politics and diplomacy than he lets on.

Gilchrist certainly going to milk Jorvik's overlordship for all it's worth. But two can play at that game. Once can join a war and not do much in it, after all. Or earn some gold by raiding the more lightly defended areas, rather than the ones of the most strategic importance.

Öysteinn may not like the politics but that does not mean he is not proficient at it when he needs to be. In a few sub chapters more of Öysteinn's backstory will be revealed.

Gilchrist proves to be very good at using Jorvik to his advantage.

Next sub chapter is getting the finishing touches. I should have it posted in a few days. It covers the beginning of the war .

Reactions:
Chapter 9.8.2 - October 1035 Cupar, County of Fife, Kingdom of Scotland
October 1035
Cupar, County of Fife, Kingdom of Scotland

Öysteinn sat upon his horse watching the line of Jorvikians soldiers march north in the hot autumn sun. Seeing their general the men’s spirits seem to rise. To all he was the great general who had crushed the Scottish armies in the last war effortlessly. There were no rumors of madness only tales of how he was divinely inspired and protected by the saints. Recognizing the respect of his soldiers’ pride washed through him. Öysteinn smile and nodded at the passing troops.

War. To Öysteinn this where he felt at home. Leading an army gave him the most comfortable feeling he could imagine. He was in control and everyone answered to him. There was no court gossip and intrigue. If any arose, he could squash it without any worries of repercussions. None disturbed him with sugar coated lies and invitations to join with this group or another. What went on in those chambers within the great keep left him with a bad taste in his mouth. He was content to remain aloof with his retinue training and preparing them for this day and the days coming.

Harold and Mayor Uhtræd rode up and joined Öysteinn watching the troops.

Uhtræd said, “Another victory, General.”

Öysteinn shook his head and chuckled, “Not much of a victory five thousand against five hundred. I would say the outcome was preordained.”

Harold watching the men march said, “Still the Scottish fought hard and brave. Prince Conan did well with what fate had dealt him.”

DRpr8Lx.png
2gFa8t4.png

Öysteinn nodded, “I for one would never call the Scottish cowards. Experience has taught me that. They may be foolhardy at times but never craven.” Öysteinn turned his horse to face both commanders. “We must end this war quickly. I fear the longer it lasts the quicker opinions with the lords will sour and we could find ourselves battling not only the Scots but unrest at home.”

Both commanders nodded their agreement.

Harold looked toward the south and said, “It is good King Ælfgar has decided to make Kernev tributary. His attention lies in Britany and the chances of him taking advantage of our involvement in this war are reduced.”

oedW2Bp.png

Uhtræd steadied himself in the saddle, “True.” He looked at Öysteinn and asked, “Will the levies from Lancaster and Jorvik be enough for this campaign?”

Öysteinn took his time responding, “They should – must be enough. We will get no more. The Scottish need to do their part.”

Uhtræd shook his head in doubt, “They have not done so thus far. Mayor Alan of Perth being defeated by Prince Conan at Renfrew does not fill me with confidence.”

stUsrqB.png

Harold chuckled, “Mayor Alan was not prepared when he stumbled onto Prince Conan. I feel the Scottish will do better in the future.”

Öysteinn nodded, “Harold is right. Even now they lay siege to Ellon, the seat of power for the Duchess Lillias of Moray.”

Harold changed his grip on the reins and said, “I have heard the Countess Mildrith of Gloucester has taken ill and fell into a coma.”

Uhtræd smirked, “Now perhaps we will see an end to her ridiculous war.”

Öysteinn looked to the north, “Perhaps, but it is of little concern to me now.”

Uhtræd said, “If it is true then it will credence to the rumors Jarl Ealdmund of Powys is attempting to gain a claim to the Jarldom of Gwynedd.”

mkxRMh8.png

Harold looked at Öysteinn, “Have you spoken with Jarl Ealdmund since his return?”

Öysteinn nodded, “Briefly before we left Jorvik to go this campaign.”

Harold asked, “How does he fare?”

Öysteinn was silent and looked off into the difference. After a short moment he responded, “He does well. He was not long in the dungeons of the Emperor. The Emperor treated him more like an honored guest than a prisoner. However, before he was released the Emperor made it very clear if he returned, he would be treated entirely different.”

Öysteinn fell silent. Harold and Uhtræd waited for Öysteinn to continue as they felt there was more to be told.

Öysteinn did continue, “He is not the same man. Gone his sense of duty and I wonder his unquestioning loyalty is a thing of the past. Upon his return he has felt disgraced and betrayed. He knows someone told the Greeks he was coming and for what. He blames Council and I feel some day he will try to take his revenge.”

Uhtræd shook his head, “Such a pity one so great has been reduced to just another schemer.”

Öysteinn looked away from his commanders. He dared not tell them of the true nature of Ealdmund’s meeting with him. How the Jarl of Powys wished to recruit Öysteinn in his schemes to regain power and bring down members of the Council. While agreeing some Council members needed to be curtailed Öysteinn was concerned Ealdmund now put himself and his power before the king and the kingdom.

Annoyed over the rumors Öysteinn looked at his commanders and in a stern voice said, “I wish to have the siege lines complete around Crieff before winter sets in.”

Both stood tall in the saddle and replied, “Yes, milord.”

They turned their horses and joined the march north. Öysteinn remained for a few moments. He could hear the voice of St Eustace saying, “You know the truth. Change is coming and much of it will bring harm to the kingdom. This war will do more harm than good as will the next.”

Öysteinn sighed, “What should I do?”

In an onimus voice St Eustace replied, “All that you can. The kingdom is in danger, your family is in peril, and I fear you most of all are in harm’s way. If your sons continue down the path they are traveling only woe will come from it.”

For the first time St Eustace’s words brought dread to Öysteinn. He had always known the saint to bring words of encouragement. This was not like his guide, his friend. Dark times must truly lay ahead.

Öysteinn closed his eyes and when he reopened them, he asked, “Can this be changed?”

St Eustace nodded, “Yes, but the choice will be almost impossible to comprehend and even more than you can fathom.”

Öysteinn lowered his head, “How will I know?”

St Eustace tone changed to a more hopeful one, “You will know.”

Öysteinn nodded, “Will you be there?”

St Eustace smiled, “As always. I will be at your side.”

Öysteinn half smiled. He watched the troops march by. After a few moments he guided his horse into the line of march.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh my, if even St. Eustace has bad news...

Scotland turns out to be a drag. Now I see why it was dubitable if it was worth the bother.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems like you found a compelling voice in this regency with Öysteinn. Nicely done.

The man seems so hellbent on avoiding becoming a tragic figure but seems to be stuck on that path regardless of the many actions he takes. Naturally, that increases the gut punch of that possible future tragedy. I hope it all works out for him, but nothing seems to be going his way. And honestly, I don't know that there is a right answer for him. Everyone involved in the council has issues, and the king is far too immature to be of any use, not to mention the rivalry he's developed with his son.

In other words, Öysteinn is close enough to power to be caught up in the winds around it, but not close enough to actually influence it. A complete mess for the poor man.

“He does well. He was not long in the dungeons of the Emperor. The Emperor treated him more like an honored guest than a prisoner. However, before he was released the Emperor made it very clear if he returned, he would be treated entirely different.”

He kept his eyes and his family jewels. How positively un-Byzantine of the Emperor! :p

Reactions:
Every update adds new threads to the tapestry of woe of the Kingdom of England, its best men bereft and betrayed, its best hope remaining a possible madman.

This is fine storytelling and taleweaving.

Reactions:
Oh my, if even St. Eustace has bad news...

Scotland turns out to be a drag. Now I see why it was dubitable if it was worth the bother.

The good saint tells the truth even if it bad news. Scotland is proving to be a bother.

Seems like you found a compelling voice in this regency with Öysteinn. Nicely done.

The man seems so hellbent on avoiding becoming a tragic figure but seems to be stuck on that path regardless of the many actions he takes. Naturally, that increases the gut punch of that possible future tragedy. I hope it all works out for him, but nothing seems to be going his way. And honestly, I don't know that there is a right answer for him. Everyone involved in the council has issues, and the king is far too immature to be of any use, not to mention the rivalry he's developed with his son.

In other words, Öysteinn is close enough to power to be caught up in the winds around it, but not close enough to actually influence it. A complete mess for the poor man.

He kept his eyes and his family jewels. How positively un-Byzantine of the Emperor! :p

Öysteinn has become the central figure in the tales of the regency. He is the one person who is the steady rock which is holding the kingdom together. However, he is a rock in stormy sea. Time will tell if the seas wash him away eventually.

Every update adds new threads to the tapestry of woe of the Kingdom of England, its best men bereft and betrayed, its best hope remaining a possible madman.

This is fine storytelling and taleweaving.

Thank you for your comments. I was just trying to make some sense of what the game threw at me.

I want to take a moment to talk more about Öysteinn and his family. In a few chapters more will be provided on his back story and his other children will be introduced. A slight spoiler here, the House of Jute is going to play a big part in what happens in the future.

In gameplay I am 70 years out. I am glad I have played this far now. It has given me a better perception of the events happening now in AAR and their impacts on the future. A few game years from now I made a choice which I eventually regretted. Now as I have played further the “bad” choice has become a great story arc. This had given me a whole new way to write the AAR and hopefully allowed me to develop more of a storyline.

For some reason I got away from this and was only playing 10 or 15 years out from where I was writing. I am thinking this may have been a big source of my frustrations with the writing. Now I am writing for a few days and then taking a few days to play the game. There may still come a time where I change from the narrative to a history book telling to help move things along. I have a feeling where this may occur and where I would return to the narrative.

The next subchapter is ready. I just have to load and link the screenshots.

The story involves a quirkiness the game threw at me. It took me a while to figure out how to explain and introduce the event. At first, I wanted to ignore it but it does create an odd possibility. Next came a way to integrate it into the storyline and I think I found a way.

Hopefully it will be posted in the next hour or so.

Reactions: