• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe it will be a greater focus on religion as well as empires since the 10th century saw the rise of the holy roman empire
What I hope for is that they add a dynamic religion system with doctrines for religion and allowing the player to influence their interior state.

I believe it will be a greater focus on religion as well as empires since the 10th century saw the rise of the holy roman empire
What I hope for is that they add a dynamic religion system with doctrines for religion and allowing the player to influence their interior state.

Religion in this game already plays huge role but I guess you can never have enough of this.

The only complain I have is that college of cardinals is mostly pointless money sink. At least I didn't find any reliable use for it.

My personal hope for the expansion (Super excited the game is still getting support, BTW.) is more content for many of the otherwise threadbare religions. Shiites, Nestorians, Miaphysites and many of the games heresies.

I wish for an HRE-themed expansion. Heresy overhaul would go quite nicely with it.
People point out how the new bookmark might be somewhere between 936 and 939.
Otto the Great came to power in 936.

Last edited:
I'd like if take what they did with pagan religions and apply to the more standard religions. Make a Build-your-own-Heresy system, the possibility to gain influence in the church and try to reform it from the inside, or to split from it and create your own schismatic religion. Maybe make satanism an organized religion? It would be fun.

I'd like if take what they did with pagan religions and apply to the more standard religions. Make a Build-your-own-Heresy system, the possibility to gain influence in the church and try to reform it from the inside, or to split from it and create your own schismatic religion. Maybe make satanism an organized religion? It would be fun.

I am surprised by how often this keeps coming up; two and half years ago I wrote up a suggestion to implement dynamic pagan reformations and heresies for the organised faiths and I'm honestly surprised the latter hasn't been implemented yet.

That said, the path they implemented dynamic heresies was completely different from my suggestion.

To add another point to this - SnowCrystal also said he was making a bloodline for one of the descendent of Alfred the Great and neither confirmed nor denied that was Aethelstan irrc.

Aethelstan died in 939 and not letting us play as him seems gratuitously cruel - so it will probably be closer to 936 than 939.
Aww but Brian Ború was born circa 941. Not allowing people to play as him would also be quite cruel.

I am surprised by how often this keeps coming up; two and half years ago I wrote up a suggestion to implement dynamic pagan reformations and heresies for the organised faiths and I'm honestly surprised the latter hasn't been implemented yet.

That said, the path they implemented dynamic heresies was completely different from my suggestion.

It come up often now because pagan reformation made pagans the more interesting/fun religion to play, and the others just seems lackluster. That catholicism/hortodox/muslin are not changed in forever doesn't help.

CK3 would also be a good opportunity to add things that would brake the engine like light naval combat or dynamic trade and strip back things that didn’t work

Why would it break the present engine? That makes no sense...

Regarding the gist of this thread, I am more passionate about new mechanics than about a new starting date...

This means that the upcoming bookmark will be taking place somewhere between 933 and 939. And unless the name of West Francia does not change in this specific instance due to being under a non-Carolingian dynasty, we can further assume that the upcoming bookmark takes place between 936 and 939, since the Carolingian Louis IV of Outremer took the throne from King Rudolph Bosonid in 936.
Actually, the rules state that if West Francia (and East Francia) ever comes under the control of a non-Carolingian dynasty, the name permanently changes to France (and Germany). Therefor, we must either assume that the rules have been changed or this places the start date at 888 at the latest (which obviously isn't the case with all the other evidence taken into account). It's safe to establish that the naming rules regarding West (and probably East) Francia has been altered.
Secrets.png

Okay, the German monarch can't be Heinrich the Fowler since he'd be gray haired by 926. This places the start date at 936 at the earliest, as that's when Otto the Great becomes king. Now the Fatimid caliph can't be Al Mahdi (the founder) as he died in 934, but is probably his successor. The King of England is wrinkled (which asserts age of 50+) and is therefor Æthelstan as his successor Edmund won't get wrinkles before 971 (which has been established earlier as too late for this start date).

The fourth ruler is difficult to establish as I don't recognize the CoA. Number five is a tribal king of Hungary. This means de jure Pannonia will most likely no longer be feudal in 867 and create a different dynamic in that start date (maybe they won't settle and continue raiding Europe). The king is most likely Zoltán, but whether he'll hold the Kingdom of Hungary or the Kingdom of Magyar can't be determined. The final would then be Haakon the Good and will probably have some exiting fights against Erik Bloodaxe and his sons.

It come up often now because pagan reformation made pagans the more interesting/fun religion to play, and the others just seems lackluster. That catholicism/hortodox/muslin are not changed in forever doesn't help.

Well, Catholics get the new Crusades and coronations, making them plenty interesting. Heresies are getting more popular support because the new pagan reformation suggests a convenient way to create dynamic sects, and the non-Catholic faiths have always been a little bare-bones.

I'd really like the next expansion to focus on fleshing out all those less-loved denominations, giving the existing heresies some proper event chains, and making the "generic" heresies more dynamic so that you don't have multiple court chaplains independently trying to resurrect Catharism. A secondary wish would be for a mechanic to simulate the politics between Eastern and Western Christianity, perhaps with the possibility of mending the schism peacefully.

Either that or an Islamic DLC with a 632 start date and a new succession law representing the Rashisun Caliphate, but that's pretty much never going to happen.

Alright, I haven’t played in several months (well, other than the AGOT mod)...

Is that cart icon next to the tech levels something new?
See, I was wondering about that one, too. Is that a new trade mechanic?

See, I was wondering about that one, too. Is that a new trade mechanic?

I really hope so! The economic side of CK2 is definitely in need of some serious fleshing out.