What QoL improvements can we expect to come for multiplayer?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pewpew!

Captain
Apr 24, 2018
With a major update looming what are some quality of life improvements expected for multiplayer? We almost never hear from you guys anymore and we hope that isn't a pattern that's gonna continue post-acquisition. Anyway, would love to hear from you!

We should see it when it comes, I would however not expected PvP changes. Remain optimistic they fix the connection issues and put a leaver penalty on.

We should see it when it comes, I would however not expected PvP changes. Remain optimistic they fix the connection issues and put a leaver penalty on.
Why wouldn't you expect changes? I think there needs to be some quality of life things added to it. Like is the game stock? What map? Explain to newbies what stock actually means etc.

With a major update looming what are some quality of life improvements expected for multiplayer? We almost never hear from you guys anymore and we hope that isn't a pattern that's gonna continue post-acquisition. Anyway, would love to hear from you!

I agree
[Mod edit: language]
the worst multiplayer I've ever played!

Last edited by a moderator:
While Quality of Life Improvements are important to me (both Single and Multiplayer QoL Improvements), it is the following portions of BATTLETECH Kickstarter Update 47, I am most interested in seeing HBS release new information about:

"With release in sight in the next few months, we want to tell you about a few features that were part of our Kickstarter Campaign, but need to be delivered post-launch in order to focus development and testing as we move towards release.

• Linux support
  • Legendary 'Mechs and MechWarriors
  • Ability to play different types of missions in Skirmish mode (The campaign itself still has plenty of mission types though.)
  • Some Valhalla-tier reward items (specifics TBD)
  • Famous character cameos in the campaign (a Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
  • Famous AI Lances in Skirmish mode (another Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)

Rest assured that we are still committed to delivering these features after the game’s initial launch and at no additional charge to Backers.

One other change - instead of a multiplayer experience focused around competitive tournaments & leagues, we've opted for a more friend-focused model of multiplayer functionality. Players can invite each other to matches via Steam/GoG, create private games, and browse public games from the lobby.

Because of this change in direction, we also won’t be delivering a Solaris-themed multiplayer experience at launch. Instead, the game will ship with a diverse set of multiplayer maps across all the game’s biomes to battle on. We recognize that Solaris VII is a great setting for BattleTech experiences, and in success, we still hope to explore different ways to bring Solaris VII to life.

And finally, a feature that wasn’t a Kickstarter commitment but that we talked about online a bunch is Ironman Mode. Unfortunately, that won’t make it in for launch but we’d love to add it later."

Well aside from my suggestion in the other thread about having a Que/Matchmaking system.....

Allow us to modify lances/mechs while in the "lobby" or that point just before you and your opponent click ready to enter the match (not sure what to call it here in this game). It's kinda frustrating to have to go back to the main screen to edit mechs/lances from the "Mech Lab" instead of while paired up.

More maps, Options to adjust your color scheme, option to pick a random map (might be there already but can't recall off hand). Make the interface a bit more Clear that someone has joined your game. Right now there is only some text notification in the chat.

Probably a bunch of others I can't recall while sitting here at work.

multiplayer was supposed to be full in the game!
it's nothing interesting to me.
It's the arena of 2 or 3 moves and you see your opponent, that's boredom.

I'd rather play another game where the multiplayer is okay

multiplayer was supposed to be full in the game!
it's nothing interesting to me.
It's the arena of 2 or 3 moves and you see your opponent, that's boredom.

I'd rather play another game where the multiplayer is okay
So how would you change it? You really gotta give specifics or nobody is going to take your posts seriously.

Well aside from my suggestion in the other thread about having a Que/Matchmaking system.....

Allow us to modify lances/mechs while in the "lobby" or that point just before you and your opponent click ready to enter the match (not sure what to call it here in this game). It's kinda frustrating to have to go back to the main screen to edit mechs/lances from the "Mech Lab" instead of while paired up.

More maps, Options to adjust your color scheme, option to pick a random map (might be there already but can't recall off hand). Make the interface a bit more Clear that someone has joined your game. Right now there is only some text notification in the chat.

Probably a bunch of others I can't recall while sitting here at work.
You can change your lances while in the lobby......

You can change your lances while in the lobby......
I mean make new and modify existing Lances. Which the last time I checked, you cannot do while in the "lobby" screen where you are waiting for each other to pick your lance.

(sorry for delayed reply, been kinda busy at work and have not checked the forum in a few weeks)

Unlike the majority of people here, i backed this game for the PvP experiance. Not including the above 2 items was something i barely tolerated because you promised them in the kickstarter. I figured hey how bad could that be.
After playing multiplayer exclusively since Backer Beta i could see this was a big mistake. Whether your curbstomping somebody into oblivion, or, as in my case, losing 4-0 3 games in a row is terrible. Its NOT fun. Its a complete turnoff. I thought this game was awesome and in certain parts it is. But PvP isnt. Congratulations on slowly alienating a chunk of your player base. Keep neglecting the multiplayer portion of this game your doing a great job. No filter for game types, maps still listed as unspecified, glitchy lobby interface, and a draconian language filter that was ABSOLUTELY needed. And in case you werent aware, assaults are completely useless in multiplayer. Oh, and adding the reseen into the game will be like putting lipstick on a pig.

P.S. I dont know about other languages, but the word "put" is NOT a curse in the english language.

You should reconsider your approach to asking for things. You might actually get what you want if you didn't throw a ranting fit about all the things you don't like.

By being so overly aggressive, you actually reduce the chances of your request being taken seriously.

You should reconsider your approach to asking for things. You might actually get what you want if you didn't throw a ranting fit about all the things you don't like.

By being so overly aggressive, you actually reduce the chances of your request being taken seriously.
I'm not asking for anything. Just a pissed off customer.

BATTLETECH Kickstarter Update 47 was a disappointment, both to Backers and Team HBS itself.

At some point, I hope the Multi-player aspect of BATTLETECH is further developed, but so much potential has already withered on the vine. Lobby matchmaking reliability is to me the most glaring deficiency. Here's four examples, my last four tournament matches required three, seven, two and four matchmaking attempts/client restarts on my end alone before a match successfully connected, and we were all continental USA.

And this is the norm for me and no few others since launch.

How can we expect to retain current Multi-player gamers, let alone entice new gamers with lobby matchmaking reliability like that?

There is a hardcore group of BATTLETECH Multiplayer fans, including myself and @Pewpew! still very active in-game, on Discord and taking part in Community Tournaments. We actively WANT to trumpet and champion the HBS BATTLETECH Multiplayer game...

...but with Launch we even lost the ability to "Resign" from a Multiplayer match (like we had in the Backer Multiplayer Beta). And the grayed-out "Quick Match" button on the UI, was a Multiplayer feature dropped at Launch.

We desperately need something new or upcoming to trumpet and champion.

I hope to hear from HBS about their intentions with regard to the Current State of BATTLETECH Multiplayer. May @HBS_HighCommand hear our concern and know our hopes. :bow:

I fear we have lost quite a few multiplayer people due to the frankly painful process of trying to set up a game. Even amongst the hardcore mp discord crowd names that were trying to play at all times are slowly disappearing. Its like friends slowly drifting away. It is a very frustrating and sad experience to watch something you love dieing in front of you and be unable to save it.

I just want to say that I've never been so frustrated by continuous losses in a game. Not sure what it is perhaps it's my love for the franchise. I stand by what I said, HBS decided that some things they said would be in the game to get my kickstarter money weren't actually important enough. They didn't even say "We are pushing these features back, but they'll be in the game with time." They just canceled them. [Mod edit: Hyperbole and flamebait]

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Mechwarriors,

Please consider: Expressing one's criticism or opinion in a respectful manner is appreciated as it helps inform the entities of community interests as they make decisions going forward, even when the respectfully phrased criticism or opinion reflects an unhappy feeling. However, it's not the same behavior as consistently posting the same negativity repeatedly in the same thread or especially across threads. Thats what would lead to such being either opinion spamming, or trolling others depending on context.

Also: Community members are welcome and encouraged to express respectfully phrased criticism and negative opinions, but not to make it personal or wage a campaign in doing so.

Sometimes the how of a message is the problem, not the why of it. In this case there are community members that I would encourage to please consider the how of communication in posts moving forward.

If your perspective on this issue has been heard and documented then Please take a break on it for now, as excessive hammering on it by some has crossed over into opinion spamming as expressed above.

Thank you.

HBS completely dropped the ball in this regard. I'm seriously considering leaving this game and it's pathetic excuse for multiplayer behind. Far too many blowouts to make the game enjoyable for either side. Go throw up a lobby and hopefully you'll get somebody who knows what the reserve button is. Make a match in the discord and go play against a pro and get roflstomped on valley plateau. We can't even get a surrender button back! This community feels totally neglected.

I have long been a proponent of BATTLETECH Multi-player.

Post-BATTLETECH KickStarter Update 47, I advocated long and hard for the Matchmaker feature to be resurrected for Launch. My case hinged on the exact same Feast or Famine you mention above. I am either curb-stomping New Gamers or being curb-stomped by our Pro’s in turn.

Unfortunately a Matchmaker requires a viably large enough player-base (for example the numbers we saw at Launch) to work efficiently... or to work at all, for that matter.

It was the “grayed-out” Quick Match button that we used to have in Beta, that would have used a Matchmaker to drop us into near-peer matches. But that button and that Launch-sized bulk of players are now lost to us.

I don’t think a Matchmaker would work as Multi-Player stands today. I think it would stand as a tombstone over lost potential... over a largely stillbor, Multiplayer Player-Base.

Such a feature as a BATTLETECH Matchmaker would in my opinion, need to be part of a larger expansion, an expansion large enough and interesting enough to rekindle BattleTech Gamer interest in the base game... and then while they are at it, perhaps if it were held up as the "Solaris VII Gaditorial Experience" enough of these returning players may decide to give BATTLETECH Multi-Player, and hopefully it's Matchmaker, a second shot.

I just hope that if such a scenario (or one close to it) works out, that our BATTLETECH Multiplayer Community ~ you, I, our Discord friends and all the others are positioned to make the most of welcoming, guiding and assisting newcomers to Multi-Player to make the most of their experience. Hopefully retaining as many as possible past their first blush of experience with BATTLETECHNPvP. :bow:

Last edited: