• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
War in the Far East

"The war ended in Asia but the rebuilding will never come so long as China and Japan are unwilling to forgive each other." - John Leighton Stuart, US Ambassador to China[1]

chinamap1.png

Map of Far East Asia prior to the Outbreak near Shanghai and the Third Sino-Japanese War.
By the end of the Second World War, Japan had suffered their greatest defeat and humiliation since. Signing a treaty with the Americans led many high ranking Japanese officials to commit suicide rather than to suffer the prospect of surrender - a term considered dishonourable to the nation of Japan. Even worse, the Japanese Emperor, Hirohito was no longer considered a living god. The good in such a situation that the Japanese faced was that they didn't instantly remove their troops from the lands that they occupied; as such, both French Indochina and Dutch Indonesia were still being occupied by Japanese force, but this time, they acted until the leadership of the United States. By the time of the Outbreak, the lands were still occupied by the Japanese - namely French Indochina which was still under Japanese occupation during France's Communist Revolution and Dutch Indonesia, which was in the process of holding a state wide referendum in the issue of independence.

Whilst the terms of surrender were being absorbed by the Japanese, in China, the Communist Chinese and the Nationalist China resumed their war against one another; a civil war happening for almost 2 decades. The Nationalist Chinese, under Chiang Kai-shek and their alliance with the regional warlords; the Ma clique and the Guangxi clique, and the assistance of Japanese troops still in China began attacks on Communist holdings - while in Manchuria, the Communist Chinese, under Mao Zedong, were able to capture Harbin with Soviet assistance, effectively controlling the north. Still, by the time the outbreak occurred, both parties in the civil war had fought small battles against each other in north-central Communist holdout as well as areas in the border of Shangxi province to the northeast but still remained in a state of slatemate - neither side could gain the edge.

Mao1946.jpg

Mao Zedong, leader of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party).
A third Sino-Japanese War in the area would seem almost impossible with both nations occupied with their own internal troubles if it wasn't for the crashing of a Japanese transport plane near Shanghai on March 3, 1947. The Nationalist Army[2] send a platoon of soldiers to investigate the wreckage. From a passage by one of the soldiers present:

"I still cannot believe what I had saw. The plane survived well given that it seemed to have fallen from the sky and crashed at the great speed - markings on the side of the plane showed that it belonged to the Japanese. My commander began to speculate that it was a failed Japanese raid - that the Japs were going to invade China just 2 years after the last war's end - under we heard a noise from the wreckage. One of the men in the platoon spoke some Japanese and roughly yelled in the direction of the aircraft for the person to surrender - more noise was heard from the wreckage so the commander told use to ready our weapons - which were ironically, Type-99 rifles and to aim at the wreckage. The Japanese speaking soldier yelled out once more and when no reply came, our commander told us to fire a single shot each.

After the firing, we heard no more sound so we went up to investigate. Looking around the wreckage, we finally found the source of the noise - a Japanese soldier was trapped under the left wing of the aircraft. That area was blocked by rubble so that from our positions, we couldn't see him. The commander told us to pull him out, so one of the soldiers went up to pull him. When he grabbed the dead soldier's arm, its head looked up and bite the man in the arm. The soldier screamed; a lot of blood was coming from the wound while I was aiming at the Jap. I shot him once in the heart - which knocked him down. But his head continued to move and so did his body. I took one more shot to his head, which finally stopped it. Then, I heard more screams...."

This incident is considered to be both the start of the Outbreak in East Asia, as well as the start of the Third Sino-Japanese War.

[1] - John Leighton Stuart was an American raised in China; the most ideal choice to be ambassador to China.

[2] - Known as the the KMT (Kuomintang) Army.

Ohohoho~ So it begins

I going to be hard to persuade the "Infected" to start attacking once Shanghai is under Infected occupation. I'm thinking of moving the effective "capital" of the Infected to Shanghai so that it would be easier for them to start attacking; as well as it would be easier for them to deploy the "newly" Infected.

oh shi...

now zombies have the mp of asia... all is lost :(
people! say farewells to your families and... *shot*

True, it seems bad. But just give it a bit of time. :D

Or you can mod the game to create different alien countries. Split it into three regions.

Europe, Asia, and Middle East?

Then code them so they don't attack each other.

That is: if it's possible

Or you can mod the game to create different alien countries. Split it into three regions.

Europe, Asia, and Middle East?

Then code them so they don't attack each other.

That is: if it's possible

I'm not sure if that possible though - a good idea, one worth trying.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just a simple copy-paste of the alien AI/country files.

Oh, I missed the last update. It'll be interesting to see how the remaining humans will purge China in some years from the Infected. If the infected don't die out naturally, it would be necessary to develope some very huge and big weapons ... :D

Another question that came to my mind: How can the Infected cross rivers?

Human recklessness + zombies = uber zombie mess!

Thanks! But we're in the second chapter so expect the Humans to start learning.

This is an amazing AAR I have no doubt you will win the contest. Ive always wanted to try the zombies attacking cheat but wondered how it worked. Now I might just do it.

Thanks for those words of encouragement! But I don't want to jinx it. :eek:o

Likewise, it's not really 'zombies'. The cheat is alienattack provID (provID being the number) which sends aliens. I just decided to call them zombies. :)

Oh God, the European front was bad enough but now hilarity's really going to ensue. I wonder who's the lesser evil out of Mao, Chiang, the Japanese or the Infected?

Depending on how you view them. But the Infected doesn't discriminate so they might be the ultimate form of a Communist society.....it kinda works if you look at it that way.

Oh, I missed the last update. It'll be interesting to see how the remaining humans will purge China in some years from the Infected. If the infected don't die out naturally, it would be necessary to develope some very huge and big weapons ... :D

Another question that came to my mind: How can the Infected cross rivers?

China will obviously take longer to fully purge the Infected out; maybe they might not even purge it out fully!

And to answer your other question, I would say that a combination of simply floating and letting the current take them to an different area and going through another way. They could also use bridges.

To All: I sorry there hasn't been an update. I'm tweaking the savefile and all that nice stuff. I would say an update on Saturday, latest Sunday.

Nice update, could use another though.

I KNOW! which is why I'm posting a new one tomorrow or (at the latest) Monday - I have no school on that day. :D

AWKWARD

Likewise, I believe that all of you know that I am entered in a contest to win Blue Coins, the contest being hosted by TekcoR. Well, due to some unforeseen events, the judging has been changed to a public voting decision. Now, I feel really weird asking this, but it would mean the WORLD if all of my commenters could possibly vote for my entry. I'm not aiming for 1st place (though it would be nice), 3rd would suffice.

The link to the voting thread is here: Click ME

Again, I do hope that my viewers and commenters would take some time out of their day to vote for my AAR. Thank you.

:D

Drop of Hope

“From Galicia in the Atlantic to Murcia in the Mediterranean, a wall of freedom has descended across Iberia, splitting the peninsula in half...” - Prime Minister Winston Churchill on the events in Spain.​

iboftarragonamap.png

Fighting a retreating defense, General Vega was able to inflict massive damage to the Infected. The entire battle lasted for almost 5 days.

[As I continued to research into the events pertaining to the most crucial part of The Outbreak, I received a call from an acquaintance of mine in Lisbon telling me that she had found one of the men who was present during the Infected Battle of Tarragona. The Infected Battle at Tarragona started out as any of the previous battles against the Infected; chaos and confusion, then outright desertion would plague the divisions. However, in the case of General Alonso Vega and his 12 divisions [1], he was able to make a stand against the Infected; the outcome forced the General to retreat but was considered a tactical victory - the first victory against the Infected since it's spread during the summer of 1946. The General employed a simple strategy; to form his divisions into formations, reminiscent of 18th - late 19th century battle tactics.

My trip to Lisbon was expensive, as with everything the includes air travel. Massive precautions were taken by the British government so that the Infection doesn't re-occur again, much less on British soil. Blood samples, check-ups and sterilisations were among the things that I had to endure for a 4 hour plane ride to Portugal. Nowadays, tourism is just starting to rise; after the massive scare that tourists could bring with them the Infection, many nations closed their borders off to them, but not to military aircrafts or high-level government talks. Arriving at Portugal, I met my contact, Mrs. Maria Silva e Costa, was a civilian who was just a child when her home in Barcelona was attacked. Her family had enough money to escape to neighbouring Portugal; luck would play a part as the Coalition [2] was able to halt the Infecteds' advance.

Mrs. Silva e Costa showed me to her apartment, where an elderly man was sitting on the balcony; enjoying the sun no doubt. After a quick introduction, I found out that the man was actually a former Corporal in Franco's army - Amado Pedro Meraz. I sat on the empty chair beside him, took out my notepad and began to ask some questions.]

iboftarragona.png

The first victory - though a tactical one, raise morale across the continent.

"I'm reading my notes here Mr. Meraz. It says that you were a former soldier in the signal's battalion; the 15th Signal's." I said.

I waited for Mr. Meraz to finish speaking. Maria was nice enough to act as my translator. "Amado says that you are correct. I worked in Signal's - specifically with the front line troops; to call in artillery strikes or to communicate with the Captain. Our group was one of the first to use the square formation - If I remember correctly, the last time Spain was fighting in formation was around the mid 1800's, around Napoleon's time."

"That's correct Mr. Meraz." I said with a hint of surprise. "Continuing with my question, how did the square formation help in halting the Infected?"

"Amado says that at first, it didn't do much. But then, Sergeant Lopez suggested that we fire at alternate intervals - the even numbered rows would fire their rounds (Sergeant Lopez would coordinate them to fire at the same time) while the odd numbered rows would rest. Then, when the even numbered rows needed to reload, the Sergeant told us to switch, the odd numbered rows would fire (again, all co-ordinated by the Sergeant) while the previous row would be allowed to rest. This was actually helping our morale - even though we were fighting against an enemy that has not lost a battle thus-far, we fought with discipline and were organized. I think we kept it up for almost an hour before I received a communication from the Battalion to fall back." Mr. Meraz stopped and whispered something into Maria's ear and she left. I thought he was going to tell me something important, but it turns out that he wanted a glass of water.

Continuing from where he left off, "I informed the Sergeant of this and he told the entire group that we will be "...Marching back quickly, organized and efficient. No chaos." I remember those exact words. We began to march backwards, shooting the Infected as they came. I recall a scout plane flying overhead - I think it was taking photos and it must of seen us cause I flew over us. Later, I would find out that it took a photo of us retreating, but not in disorder. Rather, we were all organized; the picture itself was made into a Spanish propaganda and I think a number of them were translated into English, German etc. Later, the soldiers who were with the Sergeant were given distinctions and medals; the Sergeant even got a promotion to Captain. We didn't find out until we got back to the Battalion HQ, some 10 km away."

GCV9_Base.jpg

A Battalion from General Vega's divisions doing a military march in Madrid.

"What happened after your first encounter with the Infected?" I asked, "many soldiers in other armies deserted. Why didn't you do the same?"

"Because, we knew we could kill them." Amado chuckled as Maria translated the sentence, "Even though we never saw the creatures, we fought against them. Now, that didn't mean some soldiers didn't desert, just that a lower number of them did."

"When did you realised that you need to retreat?" I asked.

"General Vega delivered a speech on the radio, saying that he was proud of us; that we were able to fight a retreating defense against the Infected. But now, he said, we need to continue that all the way to the Ebro. He told us of a series of fortifications being built, splitting Spain in half. One side would remain 'free' territory while the other would be territory near or already occupied by the Infected. Franco's Wall [3]. That's what the army called it - even General Vega followed along with the name."

"So what happened next?" I asked redundantly. I already knew that the retreating defense would happen all the way till they reached the outskirts of Franco's Wall. A magnificent feet and a miracle that they didn't suffer much casualties. Maria chuckled. "Amado says that the look on your face gives the impression that you already knew what happened." Unable to hide my knowledge, I told Amado that he was correct. The elderly Corpreal let out a heavy laugh. Amado then turned to Maria and said something in a series of rapid Spanish. "Amado asks that if there is no more questions, if it is alright if he returns home? He lives around 7 km away from my apartment." Not wanting to keep the elder waiting, I shook his hand - his frail shape was a illusion to his firm handshake and said goodbye.

[1] - In reality, there were 8 divisions that were Spanish, 2 were Portuguese while 2 others were a mixture of the surviving divisions that escaped from Barcelona.

[2] - Though the stand in Spain - which included units from Canadian, Free French, etc. forces - had no official name, it was unofficially dubbed 'The Coalition'.

[3] - A series of fortifications which were built by Franco as the Infection advanced. Help from the British, Americans and Canadians were required to complete it in such a short time frame.

---------------------

NOT bribing my viewers and readers or anything, but it would delight me ever so much if you were to vote for my AAR in a contest that I've entered. It only takes 2 minutes to vote! Please, help me help you by winning the contest!

The link to the voting thread is here: Click ME

Just vote for We Are Outnumbered..., which is my AAR by posting a comment there. Thank you!

Why a Spanish woman had a Portuguese surname, I wonder? :p

Good to see that the steamroll is coming to it's end.

Finally, some sort of success. Shame this is probably going to lead to Franco getting a lot more power and influence but you can't have everything I suppose.

Franco's going to do MUCH better here than in OTL. But, he'll still lay claim to Gibraltar, which the British don't like.

Why a Spanish woman had a Portuguese surname, I wonder? :p

Good to see that the steamroll is coming to it's end.

:D I dunno.

Well, the steamrolling in Western Europe is slowing. In Eastern Europe, it's beginning to slow down - the cold is affecting them more adversely while in the Far East - it's game time for the Infection.