• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shame about the Breton war, but at least it wasn't too big of a setback (other than you not gaining anything from your investment).
I was furious when I found out Austria was just sitting there with their 31k stack in Treviso. We could've easily won the war, but they didn't want that to happen. The only word those Habsburgs know is diplomacy. COWARDS :mad:!

let me guess, you want to go for Denmark/ HOP/ Norway and Iceland to hop into Newfoundland huh...
That's weird, I though Karel II said he didn't like colonial nations at all ;)?

Fair enough. Guess you will try to beat the Netherlands to the Cape Good Hope ;)

The road to the Belgian pretender flag lies around the cape!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I simply like the idea of Flanders colonizing :p

Friesland annexed and the colonial wars beginning... Exciting times for Flanders.

Fair enough. Guess you will try to beat the Netherlands to the Cape Good Hope ;)

The road to the Belgian pretender flag lies around the cape!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I simply like the idea of Flanders colonizing :p
Cape of the Good Hope is definitely a primary goal since it is a centre of trade and all trade from East Africa and the East Indies flow through there.

I don't think you're hijacking, this AAR is actually sort of a joke itself. I'm making fun of the current situation and I appreciate your comments. Humour is a very powerful thing in life and everybody should be able to see things in a perspective here, like the 'Make Flanders great again' line in the first chapter.

As for the pretender flag, I don't know what I have to do if they are already annexed, maybe vassalize them? All options are welcome.

Friesland annexed and the colonial wars beginning... Exciting times for Flanders.
Indeed, it will be a bumpy road...

hmm well, in fact your aar is about Flanders, and not Belgium ;)

There are flags in eu4 that are much like flanders flag too. KILL the pretenders!

Regarding humor in AAR: without it, I would have stopped writing aar long ago.

Although I sometimes wonder if everyone can appreciate Green Jelly and three little pigs, or Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rambo appearing (and firing guns) in a EU4 AAR ;)

If I would write Flanders AAR, I would use Jan zonder Vrees animation series, the smurfs animation series, TinTin and whatnot. And Herman Van Rompuy as president, of course. And Maggie De Block as palace chef. And Pieter De Crem (crembo!) as general.

Err, nevermind :oops:

hmm well, in fact your aar is about Flanders, and not Belgium ;)

There are flags in eu4 that are much like flanders flag too. KILL the pretenders!

Regarding humor in AAR: without it, I would have stopped writing aar long ago.

Although I sometimes wonder if everyone can appreciate Green Jelly and three little pigs, or Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rambo appearing (and firing guns) in a EU4 AAR ;)

If I would write Flanders AAR, I would use Jan zonder Vrees animation series, the smurfs animation series, TinTin and whatnot. And Herman Van Rompuy as president, of course. And Maggie De Block as palace chef. And Pieter De Crem (crembo!) as general.

Err, nevermind :oops:
I do appreciate your humour, and of course not everyone will appreciate it, but that's the case with everything.

I won't be able to make it as hilarious as you do, but maybe we'll see you doing something like that in the future ;)?

Chapter IV: 3rd of April 1499 till 3rd of June 1517
Chapter IV: 3rd of April 1499 till 3rd of June 1517

Margareta was ecstatic when she received a report of how Antoon Van Leeuwergem was progressing. Margareta was able to let Portugal grant fleet basing rights to Flemish ships before Antoon left Flanders. But these basing rights were expensive. The solution came when Antoon discovered a native kingdom called 'Kongo'. They allowed to let Flemish ships be repaired in their dockyards, against a much humbler price.

The real accomplishments of Antoon were the discovery of West Africa and Kongo near Central Africa. After the fleet basing rights were accepted from Kongo, a second journey was made in which Antoon discovered the edge of Africa, which he called 'Kaap de Goede Hoop', or translated 'Cape of Good Hope'.

20160521194009_1.jpg

The third expedition uncovered the east side of Africa, and also uncovered an island called 'Madagascar'. After that, Antoon decided to recover in the Kongolese ports and was awaiting new orders. Despite Flanders not having enough colonial range to start a colony, Margareta hired a navigator to increase the colonial range with 20%. The Flemish treasury had a big deficit now, but this enabled Flanders to find a first colony, at Beafada. And on the 13th of December 1503, the colony was founded. The navigator was no longer needed and was fired. With no natives present at the colony, there was no risk of a native uprising.

20160521194747_1.jpg

Meanwhile in Europe, France had declared war on England when the first explorer started his journey, and England was getting stomped very badly at their homeland, being half occupied by the Scottish and half occupied by the French. In the end, England had to cede two provinces to Scotland again, and gave France Caux and Somerset. Wales was independent again, and Margareta hoped this would enable Flanders to invade England as well. London is rich and is providing most trade power of all in the English Channel. There is no use to owning the whole world: when you can't dominate your own home node, you're doing it wrong.

20160521195204_1.jpg

And later, in the year 1509, terrifying news spread across Europe: The Protestant Reformation occurred in Scotland, defying all power of the Pope and the Catholic Church. They started their own national church, and Scotland was lost to the infidels forever.

But that was the opinion of most European courts. Margareta knew being different and being independent from the Church could provide special benefits, and so she decided to convert to Protestantism. A Center of Reformation was founded in the capital Brugge, and Austria and England were not amused...

20160521200108_1.jpg

Soon after, Brandenburg, Bohemia, Saxony and more converted to Protestantism, and the HRE was getting divided even more.

5 years later, on the 2nd of August 1514, Beafada became a proper city and colony of Flanders. Margareta knew that the Ivory Coast trade region was the most important region to get a hold on, because from there on all trade from Africa, India and Asia flows through there to Europe. As a result, the Gold Coast with a trade centre was getting colonized first. An army would be needed to guard the colony against aggressive natives.

An army consisting of 3000 infantry, 1000 cavalry and 1000 artillery was sent to Africa, and was led by the conquistador Hans Van Bellegem.

20160521201707_1.jpg

With an army based in Africa, the Flemish force limit was reached. In a war, more troops would be needed and manpower is short. Therefore, the administrative idea group was unlocked to provide Flanders with more and cheaper mercenaries when necessary.

Europe was turning more and more Protestant, and when Austria gave Gelre an Electorate, our only possible expansion target, Margareta was furious (once again).

The frustration about Austria became too much for her: she murdered her Austrian husband before killing herself. They were found death in their room, with their wrists being cut on the 3rd of June 1517. Her heir, Margareta V Jaworski (6/2/3) would lead the country into a new age of exploring and religious turmoil. She would be succeeded by her son, Boudewijn (1/5/4).

Margareta is dead, long live Margareta.

20160522084746_1.jpg

Last edited:
The first colony founded and converting to Protestantism... lot happening in such a short time frame. It seem changing religions will cause some interesting issues within the HRE. I wonder if Catholicism will end up overwhelmed.

Lots happening, plenty excitement.:p

The first colony founded and converting to Protestantism... lot happening in such a short time frame. It seem changing religions will cause some interesting issues within the HRE. I wonder if Catholicism will end up overwhelmed.
I hope Catholicism will suffer from it, so far I hoped France would get into trouble with it and maybe convert too, but as far as I could see they only converted provinces in Switserland! I don't have to tell that this is really weird and frustrating o_O...

Lots happening, plenty excitement.:p
I'm glad you like it :).

I read this AAR whenbit started but it seems I forgot to subscribe. Oh well, better late than never.
Indeed, welcome aboard @Niethar :).

Almost nostalgic to see some "oldschool" exploring, nice work with the fleet basing rights there, I didn't use that in ages.

Almost nostalgic to see some "oldschool" exploring, nice work with the fleet basing rights there, I didn't use that in ages.
I like the oldschool exploring, it gives you the real feeling of exploring the world. With the current missions you just say 'AI, go to there and uncover everything' and I don't like that. If you manually command your exploration fleet you are actively searching for the new world. And every time the world is still the same, but every time is as enjoying as hell :)!

And if you have to watch out for attrition you're more engaged with it too, although a war can distract you and suddenly you can get a pop-up saying that your fleet is lost o_O...

Chapter V: 3rd of June 1517 till 22nd of December 1524
Chapter V: 3rd of June 1517 till 22nd of December 1524

< 4th of June 1517, Brugge >

The day after the burial of her mother, Margareta V Jaworski asked her advisor to pay her a visit. When he entered, he bowed and asked:

“My Queen, how can I be of any assistance?” the advisor asked.

“As you know, my mother and her husband were buried yesterday. It was a good idea to announce it as a natural death. Suicide would make us weak in the eyes of other aristocrats across Europe.” Margareta answered.

“Indeed my Queen, it was the best thing we could do. We will never forget your mother’s efforts to lead our country. But that’s probably not what you want to talk about?”

“No indeed. I can’t help it but this is the fault of Austria. If they had helped us decently we wouldn’t have been humiliated after that war and then my mother wouldn’t have committed suicide. My grandfather was clever to ally Austria, but they definitely don’t want to support us anymore. They just want us to elect them as Emperor and that’s it. Therefore, I am going to break all treaties and diplomatic relations with Austria."

“But my Queen, Austria surrounds us. We need their armies to defend ourselves, they are the Emperor of the Empire which we joined. What if they turn hostile to us? We must not let our personal feelings affect our decisions about the country.”

“Personal feelings are not of any relevance here. I am the Queen and if I feel that Flanders should abandon its ally Austria than that is what we will do. It would be nice if you and the other advisers for once would approve of how we lead the country. After all, I am THE QUEEN!”

“Of course you are, my Queen, but still… What are you going to do? If we break our alliance we only have the Polish to protect ourselves.”

“That is already a sorted matter. Take a seat, I'll explain it all but after that I want your complete cooperation with this. I’ll take revenge for the death of my mother, I swear!”

After Margareta explained the plan to her advisor, he politely agreed with her. And while he left the room, he wondered when advisers would become useless due to the fact that rulers always do what they want to do…

20160522085540_1.jpg

On the 26th of May 1519, a first sign of Margareta’s plan being executed occurred: Flanders made a claim on the province of Antwerpen, or Antorf like the filthy Austrians called it.

Margareta wanted to take revenge for the humiliation Flanders had to endure from the Breton-Flemish war, which was caused by Austria. Margareta declared war on Brittany on the 4th of November 1519. They don’t have any allies so this should be an easy war.

But before Margareta could take revenge France fully annexed Brittany during their own war, so Flanders was left with a shortened war for revenge. Margareta had still proved Flanders was capable of resurrecting back after a defeat.

20160522090409_1.jpg

3 years later, on the 1st of December 1522, Fort Dorothea or Gold Coast as it was named before became a self-sustaining city. Because of the importance of the centre of trade, it was made into a state and a marketplace got built in the province. Another colony was established at the Cape, another centre of trade. These centres would gain absolute priority above all the other provinces.

20160522091542_1.jpg

And on the 8th of January 1524, Margareta decided that enough was enough: the alliance between Flanders and Austria was cancelled.

Everybody realized Flanders was making bold manoeuvres with this alliance breaking, but Margareta knew what she was doing: only a month later, France guaranteed the Flemish independence. Margareta was going to do everything she could to ensure an alliance with the French.

Only a month later, the Emperor had rejected Protestants confessional positions at the Imperial Parliament of Augsburg. This greatly upset the Protestant princes, and they formed the League of Schmalkalden. Flanders joined the league, further upsetting Austria and further improving relations with France.

20160522092002_1.jpg

The only obstacle of allying France was the size of the Flemish army: it was way too small. France wants a powerful ally, and they know Flanders isn’t. Therefore, Margareta made a desperate decision: she took a lot of loans and hired as many mercenaries as possible and recruited infantry from the manpower pool. She was clearly almost bankrupting the country!

20160522092206_1.jpg

After taking 7 loans and raising the army size to 48 000 men, France accepted the alliance proposal. The army got quickly reduced after that, and Flanders voted for France to further please them.

Flanders’ first attempt at breaking Austria has succeeded.

Last edited:
Who needs Austria when you have the Big Blue Blob? Now to use this new alliance and seize some power!

LOL at 'how to butter up France" strat.

Who needs Austria when you have the Big Blue Blob? Now to use this new alliance and seize some power!
Indeed, but I hope the BBB doesn't turn around and decide it's my turn to be eaten o_O...

LOL at 'how to butter up France" strat.

bold move, breaking alliance. Your queen has some cojones ;)
That was indeed very extreme, but with my alliance with Austria broken and England being hostile I decided I really needed that alliance. And in the end it will be all worth it, I hope...