• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald: Thanks. My USA AAR, The Revolution, follows the same style but the book looks a little more cartoonish and I hadn’t bothered learning much about what I can do with paint.

Judas Maccabeus: Yes, there may be a few mentions to our real history but for the most part, this is going to take a different route. At least I think it will, I’m not too sure what the Count of Krain was able to do in real history. ;)

aldriq: I’m glad it looks better than the US AAR. Since that time, I really started looking into how to do different things with paint (photoshop would be a waste since its only purpose would be for AARs... not a very good investment) and I’m getting better considering where I began with the Dark Muse.

The war will still be a primary focus until 1096 so the next chapter won’t be too revealing on the politics of the court or people, but we’ll get there.

To all: I should add that in my maps section, if a King or Duke has vassals, they’ll be labeled as the “King’s” or “Duke’s” land. Also, after the update below, we ought to be getting more into the characters, what’s happening in the provinces and so on so there will be more depth.

21j9b3s.jpg

6z6du9.jpg

zyg3dv.jpg

j9bksg.jpg

Enewald: Not much. About 3000, and if I recall, Bohemia has a lot more (about 10,000 I’m guessing by not looking at my notes.) So its going to be a war, one that I’ll have to rely on Poland to win. Maybe the Principalities won’t tie them up so much... maybe.

Judas Maccabeus: Yes, well, the war will still be very tough. I’m lacking in manpower due to previous wars and Bohemia has more or less been sitting tight for a while. I’ll be lucky if I leave the war with all my provinces; luckier if I can take one of theirs.

aldriq: Bohemia will be tough. Even if our manpower was equal, their provinces are more together which can pack a heftier punch considering each of their provinces could have men on the front line by the end of one month whereas a province or two of mine, it will take time.

gabor: If I remember - again, without my notes at hand - most of my claims seem to be out in the middle of nowhere in Southwestern Germany. Blame it on the Kingdom of Germany. All claims at this point though are useless to me which was one reason I was looking to invade the Pagans before the Count refused to mobilize his troops.

I think I'll have my hands full with Bohemia so my ‘plan’ - if it can be called that - is to hope the Polish war with those two principalities ends and Poland comes to help me. :D

To all: Well, I’ve been sick the last few days which is why there weren’t any updates anywhere. The Vicky AAR will definitely have an update out sometime today, I may try adding on to the Muse and that should be ready Sunday or Monday and this AAR will probably be worked on today but I’ll refrain from editing/posting it until tomorrow so weary eyes don’t make mistakes.

Right now I’m listening to Bon Jovi’s New Jersey. Its medicine music. ;)

EDIT: Discovered a pic with my claims on it the day I went to war with Bohemia :cool: so here they are: Count of Besancon, Kujawy, Plock and Neiderbayern & Duke of Mazovia. Plock and Mazovia are owned by Poland, Neiderbayern is now owned by a count under a Duke (Austria I think), Besancon may be somewhere in France and I don't have a clue as to where Kujawy is. When 1100 hits you will get to see who owns what and so forth. As it stands, I'm trying to keep saves every 10 years so I can go back and answer questions if I go too far ahead in time, as usually happens.

Last edited:
Enewald: I’m not sure atheism is the best way to go right now. ;)

gabor: Oh he isn’t kinslayer... yet. The person he was trying to kill was the daughter of the Duke of Upper Lorraine, no relation. The inheritance actually goes through Ulrich II’s wife which is why Ulrich II’s first born has a chance to inherit the Duchy. If that happens, I’ll have to break apart my Duchy a little to get myself back to 10 provinces.

You’re right in that I’m lucky I’m not a big country. But I’ve never been excommunicated before in any game. Maybe the mod helps with that, if not, then I’m just getting lucky.

The war with Bohemia could’ve been a disaster. Right before that happened I vowed to role-play the characters - and have continued to do so ever since - and because Ulrich II was already warlike in his attributes, I had to go a-warring. I’m glad all I lost was gold due to the army’s maintenance. But Poland is going to be the beast in the east. You’ll get to see what their whole empire looks like in 1100. If they keep eating things, they’re going to be huge which could allow for an implosion later. For now, I’m hoping they stay strong and remain my allies so when the Horde comes, they can stamp them out - in a previous game, a Poland got so huge that it stamped out the Horde within a few decades. They didn’t get beyond Crimea.

aldriq: The Pope is a kitten in EU3 compared to CK’s Pope. If you’re excommunicated, few people like you. Its usually only the bloodline and even then its rare they like you. This is tough when you want to keep people in your court, those people who help bring income into your nation, keep your leader safe from assassinations, help diplomacy and war. Also, if you’re excommunicated the cost for other leaders to lay a claim on your title - which gives them the ability to declare war on you - is lowered drastically.

I’ve never been excommunicated before so getting out of this situation is going to be interesting. I remember hearing a rumor that there’s an event that removes it but since I’ve never been excom’d before, I haven’t seen it.

Qorten: No worries, I’m not really following either. :cool:

Judas Maccabeus: Something to aim for. ;)

To all: When I create my 10, 20, 50 or whatever year I decide updates, I’ll probably do it without the book as the background. The pics would be too small to highlight the growing nations. I’ll probably put that out around the middle of the week since picture only updates are very easy. :cool:

gabor: He was a man who was very hard to play. Failed assassinations cost a lot in reputation and money.

aldriq: Ulrich II is still alive and could live for a few decades more. The excommunication won’t be an easy thing to live through but its possible. Let’s just hope Eberhard doesn’t flee to another realm in the meantime, he’s really my leader’s only decent court member who still likes him.

To all: In the post below I’m going to post the regional maps. Let me know if there’s a nation you want to see before Wednesday. I may do this every 10 or 20 years depending on the advancing and failing of various nations. I have yet to do the immediate powers around Meissen but that should be out in a few days. First I wanted to get this out because I have a question.

I have two types of maps. One that’s in jpg and another that’s in png. If the png interferes with the loading of jpg, contact me. If it does, I’ll reserve an entire page (page 3 of this AAR) and post all png pics there for the duration of this AAR. If it doesn’t conflict and the png just doesn’t load for you, you’re not missing anything but a clearer picture. Sorry, but I have to do the png. The jpg makes them fuzzy and ugly. Oh, and there is no png for the Poland/Meissen lands.