• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What?
Victory??? :confused:

For Austria I had to give up Luneburg - a province I stole from them during the war - and the Duke of Brandenburg title.

For Upper Lorraine I took from them 500 and forced them to renounce all cores on my land.

Edit: But I'm somewhere between 2k - 3k in debt so if I achieved "Victory" it all depends on what you'd call victorious :)

Edit: But I'm somewhere between 2k - 3k in debt so if I achieved "Victory" it all depends on what you'd call victorious :)

Still victory, although I didn't know you could rack up so much debt in CK in proportion to the size of the country :eek:

2wqaex5.jpg

2d790up.jpg

s123p1.jpg

o0wbxv.jpg

Enewald: After being pushed around so much the first fifty years I needed a little luck to come my way.

Judas Maccabeus: By their teeth. :cool:

aldriq: The Byzantium alliance was accepted because I was so desperate to have a large ally to deter Austria or LL - although I don’t know how well alliances deter other duchies, counts, etc. since there’s no penalty in declining to aid your ally :wacko: - but the Austrian alliance ought to work out much better, being near LL and a few other dangerous powers.

The Pope hasn’t been silent but the excommunications were getting ridiculous. I was excon’d one day during the previous update then five days later relieved of the trait. It was excluded for obvious reasons :) From now on I’m only going to mention it when it would make sense. It occurs too often otherwise.

Enewald: I got rid of Mecklemburg and Great Poland cores on my land, so that’s a victory. I was also planning on losing Cheb sooner or later anyway since it was so close to Austria and having it really made my duchy look out of shape. Bavaria and Mecklemburg could’ve really taken me for a ride so I consider it a victory even though I clearly lost ;) Though the propaganda pamphlets say we won everything and gave Cheb to Bavaria because we felt sorry for them :D

Ideally I want to create a solid block with a few coastal provinces by the end of the campaign. The trick is trying to work my way around existing powers while not going over my ten province limit.

aldriq: Allies almost never help. I don’t know how valuable they are in deterring DoWs in the first place but they’re pretty ineffective no matter what course. The only exception of help is occasionally Poland and that’s probably because they’re conveniently close to the battlefield.

To all: Can't wait till I get to EU3. More detailed battles, more detailed wars, leaders I can do with as I like etc. With the chaotic army movements and stiff characters in CK its very difficult creating these scenes. Expect better descriptions as we move through the games and I'm permitted more creativity.

Enewald: The son then that son's uncle, if I remember right.

aldriq: LL and Austria seem to be the permanent thorns in my side. Its hard to not want to take an extra province or two just so I’m assured an easier time.

To all: I forgot to save a save for 1200 so instead of a 1200 map update, there’ll be a 1210 one when we get there.

wjc584.jpg

Eight months into the new century the Regency of Austria threatened, and then went to war against the Meissen duchy. The threat of total war was again on the doorstep of the troubled region.

Berengar’s mettle would be tested in October when he first took nearly 10,000 men into Wurttemburg, meeting the court of Mainz. At first the battle was going well for the duke but it ended two weeks after it began when Austria flooded the territory with nearly twice as many troops. Berengar would not be able to recover on his own:

The duchy is falling aparte... [Defense] is useless without Poland... There is no point in being a subject if protection is not guaranteed.​

Through the rest of the year Benrengar’s words proved true as Weimar, Plauen and Thuringia all crumbled under the incredible Austrian weight. Berengar would not face the Austrians again until 1201, unable to gain an opportunity in all that time.

v5wi0p.jpg

The Flight of the Weimars by Albrecht Leyden

Upon the two armies meeting for a second time, in late January, Berengar suffered another loss with his then 7000 man army against the Austrian groups which inflated to more than 15,000 by the beginning of February. A five day battle informed Berengar that fighting the roving Austrian hoard was not the way to reach a truce.

Over the course of the following months, Austria crept farther into Meissen territory just as Poland woke to the realization that a war was occurring on their border. The frontal assault of the arriving Poles permitted Berengar to sweep around the distracted Austrians.

Both Brandenburg and the Meissen capital fell quickly but the belated Poles swept into the Meissen battlefield. This allowed Berengar to take his mass of men to sack Gent in late March while Poland stalled Austria in Meissen; so too did Poland’s wealth of men lift themselves into Austria’s home territory.

Without a single Meissen soldier in the Austrian path and while Poland paid lip service to the thought of Meissen’s defense as the months went by, defeat once again seemed credible. The proof lies in not only old, rare transcripts and letters but the Austrian capture of Lubusz and Wolgast. Nearly all of Meissen was carrying the Austrian colors; Poland was less interested in saving a vassal than it was in destroying Austria. It was a pain that would forever resonate in the back of Duke Berengar’s mind.

302s0us.jpg

Duke Berengar of Meissen

From March until September Berengar force-marched his men to Austria’s farthest province, Genoa. Settling there, Austria was sailing the same ship as Meissen; each maintained control over only one of their own provinces. Genoa, Austria’s possession would fall first, forcing the Austrian Regency to admit defeat.

Berengar reported:

They are without money; supplies are captured and are turned over to the alliance... The Austrian troops, without home support will have to surrender lest the Kingdom of Poland rips them from the map.​

A cease-fire was signed while Duke Berengar made his way from Genoa to Wien. After his arrival he was greeted with chills from the Austrians and applause from the Poles. However, Berengar paid neither much attention, viewing one just as dangerously as the other.

2rray6e.jpg

Berengar dangerously ignored the balance-of-power game Austria and Poland had been playing for decades

Days after his arrival in November a treaty was signed. Berengar called for the Austrians to relinquish their claims on all Meissein land. In addition, Duke Berengar demanded the return of the Duke of Brandenburg title to where it belonged. This stipulation was also agreed upon.

This was a great victory for Berengar and for Meissen. While it had thrown the duchy deeper into the red, the victory over Austria, the supreme power in Central and Southern Germany, established Meissen as a name not to be taken lightly for any German power. Berengar was able to return home with a great sense of accomplishment.

This victory, this great prestigious event spurred Meissen’s smaller neighbors to want to become a part of the rising power. Thus, in December of 1201, Szymon Blagai, the Count of Lausitz, requested to become a vassal of the Duchy of Meissen. After briefly meeting with his advisors, Berengar returned with a positive note for the County and so, Meissen expanded into a territory they had once thought lost.

No matter the recent addition there was a great deal of cleaning to do in the connecting years. Opportunity was rife in the territories. Counting his Marshal, Albrecht von Weimar* as one of his closest men after the Austrian campaigns, Berengar offered his Marshal the county of Wolgast. Albrecht accepted the position and was sent to the territory immediately in hopes that he would learn something of administering land.

2sb8rbk.jpg

Heir to the duchy, Albrecht von Weimar

Soon thereafter, within the year of 1202, construction had finished on a castle in Brandenburg. It was one of the few construction projects that wasn’t destroyed by the Austrians and was able to continue work as soon as Brandenburg received word that the war had ended. To pay the workers, minor projects and finished buildings in Weimar and Brandenburg were sold piecemeal. But this didn’t matter to Berengar. His paranoia grew after the war due to circumstances involved with it; security, manpower and soldiers were the most important keys to protecting the integrity of Meissen.

Beregnar’s goal was to deter the Austrians from eyeing the duchy again during his reign, fully knowing that one day Austria’s eye would gaze over Meissen again. The most he could do, as Berengar understood, was to build a credible defense, threatening that it would be poison to swallow any piece of the duke’s land.

_____

* Who was also Berengar’s oldest living son.