• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
VIP .4b just came out, that's nice. Too bad didn't read anything about the changing of flag for the nation of Johore. Yeah I know, i can just replace the flag with something else. But hey, this is VIP and AFAIK, it is too make things as historical as possible (did I got this correct?). Anyways, the flag Johore is using now is the current flag for the state of Melaka (Malacca) in Malaysia.

This is the Flag (Modern day that is. I suppose there hasn't been any changes since the 19th century.)

JohorFlag.jpg

By the way, is it possible to stop UK from attacking Johore. Because, eventually, the Brits did gained control of Johore by placing advisors in Johore in somewhat late 19th century-early 20th century.

weychun said:
VIP .4b just came out, that's nice. Too bad didn't read anything about the changing of flag for the nation of Johore. Yeah I know, i can just replace the flag with something else. But hey, this is VIP and AFAIK, it is too make things as historical as possible (did I got this correct?). Anyways, the flag Johore is using now is the current flag for the state of Melaka (Malacca) in Malaysia.

This is the Flag (Modern day that is. I suppose there hasn't been any changes since the 19th century.)

JohorFlag.jpg

By the way, is it possible to stop UK from attacking Johore. Because, eventually, the Brits did gained control of Johore by placing advisors in Johore in somewhat late 19th century-early 20th century.

Haven't had anyone to work on the Malay world much (I have plans - but also plans for the Maghrib, West Africa, integrating DHarper's Canada Mod, Reworking Pop Needs, Further Developing British India, more work on internal politics of Europe and the Ottoman Empire, BTW did I mention I own my own small business :D ). I'll post on the development site about the flag needing to be changed, beyond that - anyone with an interest in Malaya (or Russia, or Japan, or just about any region of the world) who can also script events - come join the fun of VIP. :)

India parties very little bug

There is a very little bug in the MUG parties. Anarchist have a start date in 835. I think it needs to be 1835

Best regards

Cipolla

Thanks, Generalisimo. :D Do we have anything in the way of events for Southeast Asia? Also, do we see moddir in the future of Victoria?

going up

Well then. Since I suspect only I have the significant potential to act on this region, I will provide an assessment on the situation. School is starting soon, and unfortunately, priority will be given to adapting Southeast Asia for the upcoming new EU2 map. :(

Phillip V said:
Well then. Since I suspect only I have the significant potential to act on this region, I will provide an assessment on the situation. School is starting soon, and unfortunately, priority will be given to adapting Southeast Asia for the upcoming new EU2 map. :(
Not a lot has happened in this area so your help is quite appreciated :D

Phillip V said:

Any contributions will be appreciated. I've done an event chain for the transfer of the Northern Malay States from SIA to ENG control in 1907 but that is about all I've really done for this region, having mostly been focused on Africa so far, and now with the Beta Testing.

Myanmar/Burma has been renowned for its Rubies for a long time, they're the best in the world.
My suggestion is to change the Shan province to Precious Metal because of that, in the startup setup.

Rubies have been mined in Mogok (Shan province) since the 11th century.

http://www.myanmarembassyparis.com/gems/gem1.htm

Edit: Why is my post in Italic?

Edit2: Perhaps I'll make events to deal with the company Burma Ruby Mines, Ltd.

Last edited:
bump

Just so VIP know, but the nation of Annam was actually called Nam Viet, officially recognized as that by the Chinese emperor and most euaropean nations also recognized it as Nam Viet and it wasn't until after the French conquest of southern Nam Viet it changed to Annam simply becuase France wanted to make clear to Nam Viet and the rest of the world that they would not give up their conquests.

Nam Viet also had a high literacy somewere around 80-90% thanks to the confusian teaching system and values (almost every little village had a someone who would theach the young ones how to read, write and count were upon the best was sent away to a school were they had the chance to further educate themselfs and finally end up in the government if they were so good).

Mammut said:
Just so VIP know, but the nation of Annam was actually called Nam Viet, officially recognized as that by the Chinese emperor and most euaropean nations also recognized it as Nam Viet and it wasn't until after the French conquest of southern Nam Viet it changed to Annam simply becuase France wanted to make clear to Nam Viet and the rest of the world that they would not give up their conquests.

Nam Viet also had a high literacy somewere around 80-90% thanks to the confusian teaching system and values (almost every little village had a someone who would theach the young ones how to read, write and count were upon the best was sent away to a school were they had the chance to further educate themselfs and finally end up in the government if they were so good).

I'd be willing to consider renaming Annam to Vietnam.

Do you have sources for that literacy rate proposal. I'll agree that the elite might have been well educated (since the Vietnamese also maintained an exam system for filling bureaucratic positions, and that was the key to status in power, as in China) but from what I've read about pre-colonial Vietnam this did not extend to the peasant masses, though there were opportunities, as in China, for talented commoners with a touch of luck to come to the notice of the elite and rise.

A couple of things here. First off, 80% literacy in Indochina seems excessive to me. I would venture that it was no more than 35% at its hight. Secondly, I think that what defines "literate" in game needs to be cleared up here. It's not just the ability to read and write, but have a working knowledge of the language and culture. That is, it means having a basic education, including exposure to works of literature (which can be culturally dependent), as well as some skills in writing for various purposes.

OHgamer said:
I'd be willing to consider renaming Annam to Vietnam.

Do you have sources for that literacy rate proposal. I'll agree that the elite might have been well educated (since the Vietnamese also maintained an exam system for filling bureaucratic positions, and that was the key to status in power, as in China) but from what I've read about pre-colonial Vietnam this did not extend to the peasant masses, though there were opportunities, as in China, for talented commoners with a touch of luck to come to the notice of the elite and rise.

The name Vietnam has an very old history dating back to the time before the birth of Jesus and the old Vietnam included parts of china. Nam Viet was at the time of VIP the only possible has the emperor of China didn't want to make any reference to chinese land not under the rule of a chinese emperor and a nation stronger then China at that time.

Yes my reference is "Vietnams historia (The history of Vietnam, as far as I know the book only exists in Swedish)" by Hans Hägerdal ISBN 978-91-85057-10-8 published by Historiska media (website but only in swedish: http://www.historiskamedia.se/o.o.i.s/114)

JRaup said:
A couple of things here. First off, 80% literacy in Indochina seems excessive to me. I would venture that it was no more than 35% at its hight. Secondly, I think that what defines "literate" in game needs to be cleared up here. It's not just the ability to read and write, but have a working knowledge of the language and culture. That is, it means having a basic education, including exposure to works of literature (which can be culturally dependent), as well as some skills in writing for various purposes.

There is no metion in my source of numbers when it comes to literacy, but it was very high, although it does mention that the education was better then most european basic educations and it was extened to all as it was a pride to get knowledge, even the smallest village had a teacher who would teach the young ones on a daily basis. Once the french to over they quickly destroyed the system because it actually helped the resistance against the french and literacy almost disappered.

Unfortunatly I dont have the book with me but I will be able to get more "flesh on the bones" in 2 weeks then Im home again.

Mammut said:
The name Vietnam has an very old history dating back to the time before the birth of Jesus and the old Vietnam included parts of china. Nam Viet was at the time of VIP the only possible has the emperor of China didn't want to make any reference to chinese land not under the rule of a chinese emperor and a nation stronger then China at that time.

Yes my reference is "Vietnams historia (The history of Vietnam, as far as I know the book only exists in Swedish)" by Hans Hägerdal ISBN 978-91-85057-10-8 published by Historiska media (website but only in swedish: http://www.historiskamedia.se/o.o.i.s/114)

I'd probably still go with Vietnam though, in that it would allow for the tag to be recycled for post-colonial uses as well.

That book looks great. At this point there are no really good general histories of Vietnam in English that cover pre-modern and modern Vietnamese history in one work, though it does look as if Cambridge might be releasing one in the next year or so.

OHgamer said:
I'd probably still go with Vietnam though, in that it would allow for the tag to be recycled for post-colonial uses as well.

Okay

OHgamer said:
That book looks great. At this point there are no really good general histories of Vietnam in English that cover pre-modern and modern Vietnamese history in one work, though it does look as if Cambridge might be releasing one in the next year or so.

Well the only small downside, if you can say so, is that he abit too much focused on the modern wars vietnam was the battleground of. I think there have been written enough on especially the US involvment in Vietnam for him to go in to the details he did, but it was a important part of vietnams history so I do understand the need for him to go deep into various aspects of the war. I would have liked to learn more about the pre-colonial and colonial time.

Pro on the other hand is the rather good ethnical maps that were in the book although there is no reference to which era these maps belong to.

The guy who wrote it is a historian specializing on Asian history and have written several books on asian history, but this is the first and only I have read of them so far.

French Indochina?

Why aren't there events for French Indochina?

Not currently, except for the Punish Annam event.

VIP:R 0.2 will begin to add some for the historic French intervention in Annam in the late 1850s, and perhaps the expansion into Cambodia in the early 1860s and the conquest of Tonkin in 1884, if the time to produce scripted events for these comes about. Otherwise, it'll be in 0.3

So much history, so little time to script events to make the history equal gameplay. Once again, people who have any experience scripting events are more than welcome to submit them.