• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello All, I was wondering if one of you might be able to help a complete technical novice?

I have downloaded VIP 0.4 and I am a complete lose as to what directory I need to put it in for it to work. Any ideas? I have used the search function to see if this question had already been asked but no luck!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Hello !
I want to play with the VIP for first time, and I wish play in converted from HttT savegame (if it possible to convert from HttT :))
and here is the question: can I play with VIP in converted game ?
Thx in advance !

Had the crash to end all crashes - I swear time went backwards. I tried pausing on Oct 1, 1862, with a massive slowdown ensuing. About ten seconds later the display read Sep 30, 1862, followed by a CTD.

Errors in Chinese Files:

There are two tags being used for Manchukuo (MAN and U32)

MAN is the tag used in revolt.txt

U32 has what I assume is the correct political party file for Manchukuo (MAN for some reason has obscure US parties)

The two events (The Taiping Victorious, 137030, 137031 VIP_China) that turn Qing China into Manchukuo use the tag U32

The only Manchukuo event (VIP_ Manchukuo, 432000) (which has Taiping Victorious as a pre-requisite) uses the tag MAN

Chinese Oddities in Revolt.txt

Communist China is created as a civilized nation for reasons that make no sense

CHI, DAI, and MAN have literacy -1 (like they should), but U27-U31 and U33 all have literacy: 0.03

It doesn’t make any sense to me why those Chinese revolters should have a specified literacy of below the literacy level of Qing China at game start

Ways to make China more historical

Its way too easy to make money as China

In the beginning of the game with max tariffs, you can have max education, max military spending, 20% taxes, and still make >20 pounds/day

By making the Qing Chinese political parties all have free trade (which is historical considering after the Opium war China was forced to have a British control customs, and the British forced China to have a maximum tariff of 5%)

By removing China’s ability to make tons of money using a-historically high tariffs, China players have to make actual choices and are forced to tax their population to the level of subsidence (or slightly below subsidence) like it was historically

Qing Chinese political parties should all have Full citizenship

Other than the barrier of not being the highest rank member of a particular leadership level (the organization tended to be a Manchu in the #1 with a Han second in command), race really wasn’t a barrier to occupation as long as they could assimilate to the system and pass the exams. Families could rise in class level (it usually took a few generations) no matter what race they were

Removing beifaren as a country culture would represent the assimilation aspect, reduce the productivity of China which may be a-historically too high in game, and help with making sure most of the Chinese pops live at subsidence or below subsidence level like it was historically. Besides it makes little sense to have beifaren and not nanfaren, and if having both is too powerful it is easier to justify having neither

Of course if that is done, after the Xinhai Revolution China would have to receive beifaren (they should also receive nanfaren.) Actually they should probably receive all the cultures the rest of the Chinese revolters have, but I think the VIP team said no to that for balance reasons even though the republic should be short lived and break down into warlord states

The instant civilization option is ridiculous. The hundred days reform should help towards civilizing, but not lead to decision civilizing. I suggest it instead adds research points and changes the government into a constitutional monarchy.

Found a bug...Playing as UK its Aug 1881 and the British North Borneo event fires but crashes when i try to pick a option for it >.<

This has been reported already, and I'm really uncertain why this is happening. There are no scripting errors, so I think it's just a problem with the engine. For the time being I would suggest loading up as an AI country and firing the event for the UK before crashing - it seems to work fine when the UK is an AI country.

Playing as Sweden, was able to help the Danes out twice and formed Scandanavia , but i have no flag

This has been reported a few times, and it seems no matter what we do it persists - probably due to the large number of ways it occurs. I'll add a line to re-check the flag once forming SCA, but I'm uncertain if it will finally fix it (I could've sworn some of the events used to have it in before).

[Screenshot]

easy to fix

Fixed for the hotfix.

[Liquidation of Assets bug]

Already reported and fixed for the hotfix.

Accepting the Megali Idea as Greece reduces relations with Ha'il, not Ottomans, I doubt that's intentional.

It's because the event selects random countries to change relations with. I'll amend this now.

Also, here is a strange screenshot from a game as Korea.

[Screenshot]

That is a problem with the engine which we haven't been able to fix.

[Various]

Thanks Haynen! Will get these fixed for the hotfix.

Regarding your suggestions - most seem reasonable, though I would say that making all parties full citizenship may make China too powerful. Also, I'd be against the free trade aspect as I am doubtful of that being an accurate trade policy for the Qing regime.

Last edited:
From a historical legal capability standpoint, it would be more accurate to have Qing China have full control of its tariffs before it loses the Opium war and then have the British force China to have a free trade policy in the Treaty of Nanjing (which would presumably have to be modeled by forcing a ruling party change)

Its not like Qing wanted foreign goods in China (other than modern guns for the elite Manchu units), they just didn't have a choice in the matter

Modeling it that way would give China a few years of high income from max tariffs when China really didn’t legally import anything before Britain opened them up

The main problem is that Chinese pop needs pre-Opium war, which other than being chemically dependent on foreign opium, were historically met self-sufficiently by China aren’t met that way in game, thus requiring the importation of a lot more goods than were historically imported and therefore much higher tariff income than is realistic

And after Britain opens up China and foreign goods start pouring in destroying the Chinese handcraft economy (important because it was produced by farmers so they could generate supplemental income so they could survive), the British wouldn’t let the Chinese have a protectionist trade system anyway

I´m going to install VIP:R 0.4 and have a couple of questions; Is the VIP:R hotfixes from OHgamer included in the package? And how is vanilla VIP:R with just the hotfixes compared to
VIP:R 0.4?

From a historical legal capability standpoint, it would be more accurate to have Qing China have full control of its tariffs before it loses the Opium war and then have the British force China to have a free trade policy in the Treaty of Nanjing (which would presumably have to be modeled by forcing a ruling party change)

Its not like Qing wanted foreign goods in China (other than modern guns for the elite Manchu units), they just didn't have a choice in the matter

Modeling it that way would give China a few years of high income from max tariffs when China really didn’t legally import anything before Britain opened them up

Part of free trade is the "free" part. I wouldn't really describe the situation as being "free trade" since the British were made the preferred trading partners.

The main problem is that Chinese pop needs pre-Opium war, which other than being chemically dependent on foreign opium, were historically met self-sufficiently by China aren’t met that way in game, thus requiring the importation of a lot more goods than were historically imported and therefore much higher tariff income than is realistic

I think that's really a problem with the engine and AI itself - we can't actually force China to be self-sufficient, or for their POPs to only buy specific resources. It'd be great if we could on this old engine, but sadly we can't.

And after Britain opens up China and foreign goods start pouring in destroying the Chinese handcraft economy (important because it was produced by farmers so they could generate supplemental income so they could survive), the British wouldn’t let the Chinese have a protectionist trade system anyway

This is something which I think we could better model in V2 with artisan production becoming obsolete due to new factory goods.

I´m going to install VIP:R 0.4 and have a couple of questions; Is the VIP:R hotfixes from OHgamer included in the package?

OHgamer's hotfixes are not requires for the VIP:R 0.4 installation as they are jus tfor the plain version of the game, not the mod. The installation process is exactly as described: Victoria: Revolutions + VIP:R 0.4 + VIP:R 0.4 Hotfix 1 (which has just been released yesterday).

And how is vanilla VIP:R with just the hotfixes compared to VIP:R 0.4?

I think you mean vanilla V:R compared to VIP:R 0.4, don't you? Assuming so, VIP:R 0.4 (the mod, as opposed to the Revolutions expansion) has lots of new event chains, improved AI, new resources and generally greater balance.

Unable to research

I'm playing a multiplayer LAN game with a friend. I play as Sweden and he as Two Sicilies. About 2 years ago i started to research the tech "high anf low preassure steam engines" it finished after about a year and i was able to give it to my friend, i then looked for the button that tells me that i can start researching again. It did not show up.

I went to the technologyscreen and there i saw that the research for "high and low steam engines" had restarted!

I decided that i could waste a year without any big problems and ignored it. now it was february-march and it was almost finished again, i finished it but it just restarted again. i went back to an earlier autosave a month before but got the same results.

How can i solve this, i thought about looking in the autosave but i do not know what to look for so im stuck until i can find a solution. Have anyone experienced this earlier

the computer that the save is on has the hotfix installed, the comp i play from might not.

That's very odd. I've never come across such a bug.

Did you try to save and reload in order to fix it? You should also ensure that you are playing with the same version as that can cause problems in multiplayer.

we restarted the game from a save before i begun researching, it works fine now.

I'll just get the hotfix installed on my computer just in case that was the reason for the bug.

A simpler way to deal with the high income from Tariffs China gets would be to simply force China's income down by adding "command = { type = tariff_eff value = -10 }" (-10 being, at least, what I added) to the treaty of Nanjing. This gap could be closed if China is civilised around the same time as the British let Chinese set their own tariffs again (sometime in the 1930s, I believe).

The idea here being, mostly, to deprive the Chinese player of tariffs income, thus increasing the level of difficulty for him.

As an additional note, a problem I seem to have with countries like China and Japan (or even Carlist Spain) who start off with State_Capitalism as their economic policy is that it seems to stop capitalists in every other country from building anything. I've been forced to switch to interventionist parties so the rest of the world would actually develop properly and I wouldn't have to look at Britain having only a handful of railroads in 1860. Is there any way to fix this?

A simpler way to deal with the high income from Tariffs China gets would be to simply force China's income down by adding "command = { type = tariff_eff value = -10 }" (-10 being, at least, what I added) to the treaty of Nanjing. This gap could be closed if China is civilised around the same time as the British let Chinese set their own tariffs again (sometime in the 1930s, I believe).

The idea here being, mostly, to deprive the Chinese player of tariffs income, thus increasing the level of difficulty for him.

Well if VIP were to redesign the Chinese economy to be more historical, the tariff income should greatly increase after the treaty of Nanjing (As China was forced to import all kinds of British goods and the British customs agents increased Chinese tariff efficiency)

The problem is with the tariff income at the beginning of the game. The starting tariff efficiency for China is too high and there is no reason for China to have protectionism as a trade policy

China should be forced to start with a free trade policy and the starting tariff efficiency should be reduced. The most historical starting tariff efficincy would probably be be 16%.

The tariff efficincy should be increased in the treaty of Nanjing event. The most historical value would probably increasing it to 24%

Last edited:
After checking around the starting Chinese setup for a bit it seems like the primary problem comes from the fact that every pop starts with some money by default (IE, its hardcoded), this means that for the few starting months even the poorest Chinese classes will have enough money to fulfill both their life and everyday needs, the latter of which include manufactured goods which China does not produce, so they buy them from the world market, which gives the player tariff income.

If you look further, you'll notice that after the peasants run out of money, Chinese tariffs income decreases enormously as the peasants are now only capable of fulfilling their life needs, which are mostly agricultural products they can buy from your own market.

Some time after the ACW as the USA I have been left with lots of Yankees in southern states. This is not because the events for the CSA converting Yankees to Dixies didn't fire - they did. I think my Yankees in southern states is due to migration. I would like to convert these erroneous Yankees to Dixies. How does one do this?

Hi,

is it possible to program an global event which gives ANY country a liberal party (full citizenship, laisser-fare, pluralism, anti-military) as soon as this country has lets say 50 liberal pops and is civilized ?

The idea is that parties will appear according to the need of people and if there are enough liberal people in lets say a highly industrialized and civilized Asian country then a liberal party would form simply because people would found it.