• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Updated my event:

Code:
event= {
	id = 293600
	country = U13
	random = no

picture = #some nice picture

trigger = { 
		technology = 3002
		technology = 5102
		#something else?

}

name = "The industry of Vinland"
	desc = "UK has their textiles, Prussia has their Steel, France has their Luxuries. What kind of industry should be the speciality of Vinland?"
	style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = march year= 1847 } #?
	offset = 120
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = march year= 1880 }

action_a = {
		name = "Let's develop our textile industry!"
		command = { type = gainbuilding which = 635 value = fabric_factory } #Ärskland, perhaps -1 instead? (random prov)
		command = { type = production_modifier which = cotton_plantation value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = sheep_ranch value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = fabric_factory value = 2  }
		command = { type = treasury value = -5000 }
		command = { type = local_setflag which = textile } #wakes events
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Cold steel is the thing!"
		command = { type = gainbuilding which = 635 value = steel_factory }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = iron_mine value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = steel_factory value = 2  }
		command = { type = local_setflag which = steel } #wakes events
	}
	action_c = {
		name = "Forestry could make us a fortune!"
		command = { type = gainbuilding which = 635 value = lumber_mill }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = timber_lodge value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = lumber_mill value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = paper_mill value = 2  }
		command = { type = local_setflag which = forestry } #wakes events
	}
	action_d = {
		name = "We've always been good at building ships!"
		command = { type = gainbuilding which = 635 value = clipper_shipyard }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = clipper_shipyard value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = steamer_shipyard value = 2  }
		command = { type = production_modifier which = timber_lodge value = 2  } #you need timber for making ships
		command = { type = treasury value = -8000 }
		command = { type = local_setflag which = ships } #wakes events
	}
}

What kind of events would be woken by the flags?

The event looks good to me, I just have to think on the technologies and the start date, I am not sure what to use those event flags for initialized in the event.

Update

Been playing around and started updating the events file again. The changes are not in the copy I have uploaded and is available through my signiture (or directly in the first post of this thread). I am waiting for feedback from those I hope are playing it, to give me before I prepare to upload again. Besides I want to add more events and stuff first, as I am an event junkie. :)

Another of those nice events:

Code:
event = {
        id = 294566
        random = no
        country = U13

picture = 33801

name = "The cod war"
        desc = "In 1893, the danish government extended their fishing limits around Iceland and the Faroes to a limit of 13 nautical miles. The same action was also taken with Greenland. This collided with the traditional fishing areas of the vinlandian fishermen, who descided that the danish government wasn´t going to bully them around. The result was a series of clashes between vinelandian fishing boats and the royal danish coastguard."

style = 0
        trigger = { 
           OR = {
           owned = { province = 43 data = DAN }
           owned = { province = 49 data = DEN }
           }
	}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1893 }
        offset = 100
        deathdate = { day = 15 month = june year = 1900 }

action_a = {
                name = "Fishing has become very dangerous lately..."
                command = { type = production_modifier which = fishing_wharf value = -10 }
                command = { type = relation which = DAN value = -50 }
                }
}

event = {
        id = 294567
        random = no
        country = U13

picture = 33801

name = "End of the cod war"
        desc = "In 1900, Vinland and Denmark reached an agreement on the so-called Cod war, where the danes withdrew their fishing limits around Greenland to their earlier positions, aswell as giving icelandic fishing boats the right to fish in certain areas around Iceland."

style = 0
        trigger = { 
           event = 294566
	}

date = { day = 15 month = june year = 1900 }

action_a = {
                name = "Pass that fishing net!"
                command = { type = production_modifier which = fishing_wharf value = 10 }
                command = { type = relation which = DAN value = 50 }
                }
}

Cool flavor events there Zuckergußgebäck, I think it is pretty safe to say I will include those in the expanded and touched up event file I am working on. :)

Names and more names

One of the improvements for this scenario (that I hope people play) is to create both leaders and names for ships one may commission in the course of the game. Of course the real challenge is what to use for names for a fantasy nation whose real end was a milleia ago? Well below I collected these names, if for nothing else, can be used for ship names:

Names:

Icelandic people of note before Vinland's birth

Naddoddr -- Viking credited with the discovery of Iceland.
Flóki Vilgerðarson -- Searches for Iceland, first to get there because he wanted to.
Þórólfur -- Came with Flóki, a farmer
Herjólfur -- Came with Flóki
Faxi -- Came with Flóki
Garðar Svavarsson -- Swedish Viking who was the first Scandinavian to live in Iceland, just for one winter.
Náttfari -- Stayed one Iceland after escaping from Svavarsson.
Ingólfur Arnarson -- Recognized as the first permanent Nordic settler of Iceland.
Þorgeir Ljósvetningagoði -- Decided Iceland's issue of religion by arbitration.
#############################################################################

Greenlander people of note before Vinland's birth

Eiríkr Rauði (Eric the Red) -- Founded the first Nordic settlement in Greenland
Þorvaldr Ásvaldsson -- Eric the Red's father.
Leifr Eiríksson -- Son of Eric, discovered Vinland!
Bjarni Herjólfsson -- First Norse person to see North America.
Thorkell Leifsson -- Son of Leifr Eiríksson

Vinland's first settlers

Þorfinnur Karlsefni -- Icelandic explorer who led an attempt to settle Vinland circa 1010 A.D. with three ships and 160 settlers. In this scenario, he obviously succeeded.
Freydís Eiríksdóttir -- Part of that first settlement, half-sister of Leifr Eiríksson
Þorvaldr Eiríksson -- Part of that first settlement, brother of Leifr Eiríksson

Icelandic Surnames:

Arnardottir, FinnbogadÙttir, Flosadottir, Fridleifsdottir, Gudmunsson, Hafthorsson, Hauksson, Helgarson, Hermannsson, JÙnsson, Magnusson, Sigurbjornsson, Stefansson, Vigfusson

Norse mythical figures:

Æsir -- Andhrímnir, Baldr, Borr, Bragi, Búri, Byleist, Dagr, Delling, Forseti, Heimdall, Hermóðr, Höðr, Hoenir, Kvasir, Lóðurr, Loki, Magni, Meili, Modi, Ódr, Odin, Ríg, Thor, Tyr, Vali, Ve, Vidar, Vili

Ásynjur -- Bil, Eir, Frigg, Fulla, Gefjun, Gna, Hlín, Iðunn, Jord, Lofn, Nanna, Nótt, Saga, Sif, Sigyn, Sjöfn, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Var, Vor, Þrúðr

Vanir -- Freyr (Yngvi), Freya, Gullveig, Nerthus, Njord, Ullr, Vana

Valkyries -- Brynhildr, Göndul, Gunnr, Hildr, Hlaðgunnr, Róta, Skuld, Sigrdrífa, Sigrún, Skögul, Sváva, Þrúðr

Jotuns (Giants) -- Ægir, Angrboda, Baugi, Beli, Bergelmir, Bestla, Billing, Bolthorn, Elli, Farbauti, Fenja, Fjalar, Fornjót, Geirrod, Gerd, Gjalp, Greip, Gilling, Grid, Gunnlod, Gymir, Hel, Hræsvelgr, Hrod, Hrungnir, Hymir, Hyndla, Hyrrokkin, Jarnsaxa, Kari, Laufey, Loki, Mani (moon), Menja, Modgunn, Mundilfari, Muspel, Mökkurkalfe, Narfi, Olvaldi, Ragnhild, Ran, Rind, Rym, Skaði, Snær, Suttung, Surtur, Thokk, Thiazi, Thrudgelmir, Thrym, Utgardaloki, Vafthruthnir, Ymir

Dwarves -- Alvis, Andvari, Berling, Brokk, Durin, Dvalin, Eitri, Fafnir, Fjalar, Galar, Gandalf, Hjuki, Hreidmar, Litr, Lofar, Nordri, Sudri, Austri and Vestri, Nyi and Nidi, Otr, Regin, Sindri

Really I would like to make the leader names as authentic sounding as possible, but I do not know Icelandic, Norwegian or old Norse, so I may use combos of the names above, or rely on anyone who wants to help that speaks any Nordic language. :)

Last edited:
In Icelandic, people who've got names ending with "-dottir" are female, while names ending with "-son" are masculin names.
The rest is easy, just combine 'em!! :D

G-Klav said:
In Icelandic, people who've got names ending with "-dottir" are female, while names ending with "-son" are masculin names.
The rest is easy, just combine 'em!! :D

I should of noticed that :p Thank for pointing it out, now I can make sure no general or admirial has the last name with "dottir" in it. Personally a female general and/or admirial would be very cool, I don't think the world of Victoria is quite ready for that. :rofl:

Suggestions Please!

Ungrading the scenario for the next release (1.11?):

Added some more events:
-- Cod Wars (by Zuckergußgebäck)
-- Investment in Industry (by G-Klav)
-- Third Great Awakening
-- Extended the Vinterbolt thread of events

Fixed and touched up some event text.

Made a leaders file, 14 admirals and 14 generals

Tweaked the nation file

Right now I am just looking for suggestions, espcially event suggestions, I am open to about anything, enhancments to existing event threads, new events, historical, ahistorical, etc, etc. :)

Version 1.2 is Out!

Wow, that was a lot of work but version 1.2 of the Vinland scenario is finally ready, just follow the link in my signature or go to the first post of this thread for all the download info and links.

What this scenario has:

-- Complete Vinland nation with Pops that controls Labador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hamsphire and parts of Quebec.
-- A custom Vinlander Pop (Uses the Icelandic slot which is unused in the VIP GC).
-- Custom Pops files for all the Vinlandic states
-- A full range of Political Parties throughout the scenario (Eleven parties in total)
-- A large events file that has 101 events in all types of catagories. (more on that below)
-- An AI for Vinland if you want to play someone else (but why? :) )
-- AI add-ons for other nations to react to Vinland's presence.
-- Custom flags and shields: Pagan, Christian, Reactionary, Communist, and Pagan to Communist.
-- Custom states including state names.
-- Leaders with authentic Icelandic names, each with their own background and personality, 14 admirials and 14 generals.
-- Custom names for all classes of ships, Norwegian naming conventions for land units
-- All the rest of the VIP 0.4b scenario is intact, you can play any nation in that game in this scenario. :)
-- Lots of little tweaks based on suggestions

Events thus far:

-- Slavery events (now expanded)
-- Religious events, many specific to a particular religion.
-- Economic events
-- Flavor events including events explaining Vinland's earlier history and actual historical happenings to that same area.
-- Social Events
-- Special evenst for Vinland entering the modern world (of 1830's)
-- Piracy events (now expanded)
-- Many Immigration events (don't fully work unless one has 1.03c due to Victoria add_pop bug)
-- Ericsson Events
-- Events involving the American Civil War
-- The Slesvig Question and Vinland
-- The German-Danish Crisis and Vinland
-- Vinland - Denmark events over Greenland and Iceland
-- Cod Wars

What is still missing:

-- Vinland & The Great War events
-- Some addition events with the US

Thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Now if people will only play it and let me know anything I missed. :p

Hi, this mod is really great, but in my game Vinland is called User Definert, can I change it?

And now when there is a Vinland mod, why not do a Viking mod? :)
With countries like Gårdarike (in Russia or Ukraine I think) and the Danelaw?

Jacob XVI said:
Hi, this mod is really great, but in my game Vinland is called User Definert, can I change it?

And now when there is a Vinland mod, why not do a Viking mod? :)
With countries like Gårdarike (in Russia or Ukraine I think) and the Danelaw?

First off, I am happy people still have an interest. It inspires me now more to release this next update I have been working on :)

It should say "Vinland" as the name, you are the first to report that it said "User Definert", I have never had that issue personally. It sounds like not all the files were upzipped sucessfully or sucessfully into the appropiate folders.

The name should be stored in the Victoria\config\worldnames.csv file and should be: U13;Vinland;;;;;;;;Benutzerdefiniert;;x (may say 'user defined' instead of 'Benutzerdefiniert' depending on your language copy), but Vinland should definity be after the first semi-colon for the U13 country definition, that is where the name is retrived from. If you don't see this, I suggest re-unizpping the files again, the red me has the instructions.

personally a Viking mod would be cool, I wonder if Victoria would be any good for a Dark Age - Mideval mod, but that would be a monumental task. :)

Anno said:
hmmm, well, I'm getting "cannot find server" when I try to download, so...

Try this page and use the links there, or just wait a few days as I am about to release a version 1.32.

Hm, no 1.32? Understandable, given the seemingly lack of feedback.
I just started my first game with Vinland and so far I am enjoying it - will add a couple of changes of my own and then probably make an AAR out of it.
I want to thank you for this work and give you a heads up. People are really using it.

Kabraloth said:
Hm, no 1.32? Understandable, given the seemingly lack of feedback.
I just started my first game with Vinland and so far I am enjoying it - will add a couple of changes of my own and then probably make an AAR out of it.
I want to thank you for this work and give you a heads up. People are really using it.

Actually I have the scenario up to version 1.4, however I was originally delaying the release of that until VIP 0.5 which was to be for version 1.04 of Victoria. Unfortunately it looks like VIP 0.5 will never arise, mainly because of Victoria: Revolutions making all previous Vicky versions obsolete and reworking so many of the game's core principles.

So I am stuck with this dilemma: Either release version 1.4 (which does have a ton of improvements and additions) for Vicky 1.03c/VIP 0.4 and hope people still play those, or wait until Revolutions is released and understand it enough to retune the scenario to run with Revolutions or a Revolutions with some new VIP version built on top.

Kabraloth said:
Why don't you do both? Release 1.4 now (for the poor sods who most likely won't be able to get Revolutions asap, like, uhm, me) and rework it later when VIP 0.5/VIP for Rev has been released? I mean, it's not exactly as if you could only release it once.

Well I suppose I could, I guess I didn't think anyone was interested really, but hey it is greatly improved and maybe there are enough VIP 0.4 players to make it worth while, so I will see what I can do get up ASAP.

Alrighty, do to some interest I have posted version 1.41 of the Vinland scenario.

Remember this version works only with the latest VIP version, VIP 0.4b. This will be the last update until after Revolutions because any new changes after this will be for the new expansion pack (and any VIP addition to that).

Originally I was waiting for a VIP 0.5, but that never materialized and in the wake of Revolutions, likely only will for that expansion, and this scenario will eventually follow. :p

Download version 1.41 from here

What this scenario has:

-- Complete Vinland nation with Pops that controls Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire and parts of Quebec. Initial population is set close, though above the real populations of those areas c. 1840-50
-- A custom Vinlander Pop (Uses the Icelandic slot which is unused in the VIP GC).
-- Custom Pops files for all the Vinlandic states
-- Pops set up so there are enough industrial jobs for clerks and craftsmen, no more extra unemployed of those types (although some will have to migrate to the correct provinces).
-- A full range of Political Parties throughout the scenario (Nine parties in total)
-- A large events file that has 141 events in all types of categories with multiple threads. (more on that below)
-- An AI for Vinland if you want to play someone else (but why? :) )
-- AI add-ons for other nations to react to Vinland's presence.
-- Custom flags and shields: Pagan, Christian, Reactionary, Communist, and Pagan to Communist.
-- Custom states including state names.
-- Leaders with authentic Icelandic names, each with their own background and personality, 14 admirals and 14 generals.
-- Custom Icleandic, Viking and Norse names for all classes of ships, Norwegian naming conventions for land units
-- All the rest of the VIP 0.4 scenario is intact; you can play any nation in that game in this scenario. :)
-- Lots of little tweaks based on suggestions

Events thus far:

-- Special immigration Events: Covering Irish Potato Famines and Sweden's Wet and Dry year events.
-- Large amount of flavor events including a host that are specific to the religion and government you have. In addition there are actual historical flavor events for real historical occurrences in the geographic areas but are now 'Vinland flavored'
-- A series of economic events
-- A series of constitutional events that allow for more then one path to take, many events will depend on what you choose before. Paths could lead to conservative constitution, absolutism, or a liberal state, even the end of the monarchy all together, each thread occurs over decades.
-- Events dealing with Iceland based on historical happenings (if you acquire the island).
-- A massive mutli-threaded religious event line, choose Protestatism, Catholicism, or stay Pagan, all with their own unique follow up events that last for most of the game, everything from Vinterblót and Piracy, to the Jesuits and the Third Great awakening to secularzation.
-- A series of social events
-- Events dealing with Denmark: From the Slesvig Question to dealing over Greenland and Iceland, even the Cod Wars.
-- Events dealing with the US, from border treaties, to the civil war and those pesky US economic panics.
-- Events with famed Swedish inventor Ericsson (only if Protestant)
-- Slavery and events ending it, depending on world events and your form of government.
-- Vinlandic Piracy (only Pagan) events.
-- Just lots in general (over 140 events in grand total)

What else I hope to have: (Hopefully many suggestions will come from testing this)

-- Vinland having the ability to unite Scandinavia like Sweden and Denmark can.
-- More flavor or large events.
-- Better translations for politcal parties and state names