• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blackberry

Lord of the Dweebs
65 Badges
Jun 8, 2002
www.canterlot.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
This first post has been edited to display the lastest copy of the Vinland Scenario installation, it will be updated as the scenario is:

Here is the final pre-Revolutions updated release of the fully playable, functional version of the Vinland scenario which places it at version 1.41:

Vinland Scenario 1.41

The Restore -- This will overwrite any VIP 0.4b files I changed back to "vanilla" 0.4b.

You will need: victoria version 1.03c and VIP 0.4b.

Victoria 1.03

Patch 1.03c

VIP 0.4 Installer link

VIP 0.4b, must install over VIP 0.4

Read Me with all the info is include in the Vinland ZIP. To install, simply unzip in the root Victoria folder and say yes to any file to overwrite.

From the Read Me:

I made sure to make as a minimal impact as possible on the files I had to add to in addition to providing backups. The changes to the files which are overwritten are minor enough that normal VIP 0.4b will run fine if you play their scenario. I wanted to make sure that this scenario did not alter anyone else's enough that you could not concurrently play other's scenarios as well. The VIP Grand Campaign runs, I have not played all the way through so I am unsure of the impact to having the Vinland scenario also installed, but is *shouldn't* affect the main VIP scenario in anyway other then a possible "vanilla" Vinland revolter, so far, this is true.

What this scenario has:

-- Complete Vinland nation with Pops that controls Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire and parts of Quebec. Initial population is set close, though above the real populations of those areas c. 1840-50
-- A custom Vinlander Pop (Uses the Icelandic slot which is unused in the VIP GC).
-- Custom Pops files for all the Vinlandic states
-- Pops set up so there are enough industrial jobs for clerks and craftsmen, no more extra unemployed of those types (although some will have to migrate to the correct provinces).
-- A full range of Political Parties throughout the scenario (Nine parties in total)
-- A large events file that has 141 events in all types of categories with multiple threads. (more on that below)
-- An AI for Vinland if you want to play someone else (but why? :) )
-- AI add-ons for other nations to react to Vinland's presence.
-- Custom flags and shields: Pagan, Christian, Reactionary, Communist, and Pagan to Communist.
-- Custom states including state names.
-- Leaders with authentic Icelandic names, each with their own background and personality, 14 admirals and 14 generals.
-- Custom Icleandic, Viking and Norse names for all classes of ships, Norwegian naming conventions for land units
-- All the rest of the VIP 0.4 scenario is intact; you can play any nation in that game in this scenario. :)
-- Lots of little tweaks based on suggestions

Events thus far:

-- Special immigration Events: Covering Irish Potato Famines and Sweden's Wet and Dry year events.
-- Large amount of flavor events including a host that are specific to the religion and government you have. In addition there are actual historical flavor events for real historical occurrences in the geographic areas but are now 'Vinland flavored'
-- A series of economic events
-- A series of constitutional events that allow for more then one path to take, many events will depend on what you choose before. Paths could lead to conservative constitution, absolutism, or a liberal state, even the end of the monarchy all together, each thread occurs over decades.
-- Events dealing with Iceland based on historical happenings (if you acquire the island).
-- A massive mutli-threaded religious event line, choose Protestatism, Catholicism, or stay Pagan, all with their own unique follow up events that last for most of the game, everything from Vinterblót and Piracy, to the Jesuits and the Third Great awakening to secularzation.
-- A series of social events
-- Events dealing with Denmark: From the Slesvig Question to dealing over Greenland and Iceland, even the Cod Wars.
-- Events dealing with the US, from border treaties, to the civil war and those pesky US economic panics.
-- Events with famed Swedish inventor Ericsson (only if Protestant)
-- Slavery and events ending it, depending on world events and your form of government.
-- Vinlandic Piracy (only Pagan) events.
-- Just lots in general (over 140 events in grand total)

What else I hope to have: (Hopefully many suggestions will come from testing this)

-- Vinland having the ability to unite Scandinavia like Sweden and Denmark can.
-- More flavor or large events.
-- Better translations for politcal parties and state names

Remember I am looking for suggestions, complaints, compliments :) and add ons to the parts still missing and/or need improvement.

Have fun!

Last edited:
That would be cool to see. Events would be necessary...hmm. Maybe a dominion of Denmark or Britain or something? Most likely a large navy...cool.

I would like to help.

I can help with graphics, pops, parties, whatever you want.

Etienne Martel said:
That would be cool to see. Events would be necessary...hmm. Maybe a dominion of Denmark or Britain or something? Most likely a large navy...cool.
More likely an independent nation as contact between Scandinavia and Vinland was lost for quite som time, and even if it wasn't Vinland would properly belong to Norway, but still I don't think they would care much about what the Norwegian king said them being very far away and such.

Perhaps they would even start as uncivilised, since contact with European tech progress has been cut off... and Pagan since they worship the Norse gods rather than adhering to Christianity. :D

Perhaps they should have civilising events like Persia, if they approch either Sweden or Denmark for aid? Perhaps the US or Britain will even be inclined to help?

Last edited:
I was thinking of Britain and the US because of the proximity (Canada). They probably should have tech and status slightly greater than the Native American nations would, since they had metal.

If Vinland had survied this long it would probably changed world history a bit. Since the 17th century Vinland would have had contact with europe and would probebly had a alliance with the scnadinavian countries. Probably Norway-Denmark. And would also had grown to a big country with a mixed population between norwegian and native tribes with a mixed religion.

It could have adopted the protestant view on christianity.

Having said that... Canada would not exist and probably USA would not look like it does since a european present since the 12th century in america would have given the natives a more european look, the would have understand the importens of a common leader and diplomacy. Probebly they would have formed a stronger alliance with the french or scandinavian since these two people did more commerce with them and set up tradepost. The english was more for grab farmland and drive them away. So do a cscenario with vinladn and with a Rather small USA and two big colonial chunk for england and france. Lusiana would probebly still be french.

It could have adapted it views yes, but I would rather allow the player to make that choice by event in early 1836. Also I would prefer that the player also chooses his alliances and relations by event in early 1836. This is a fantasy MOD after all, and each is entitled to his or her own fantasy. ;)

However I agree that Canada properly wouldn't exist, as the British and Franch colonisation would have been halted by the existance of Vinland.

Etienne Martel said:

I got the idea from a scenario done by another individual for Vinland for EU2 a couple years back. The project never completed, but I still thought it was a cool idea. If I went by what happened there, Vinland will be an independent nation.

I wondered myself about the navy, I am open to suggestions. Right now they just have two transports but I was mainly working on getting the nation to appear in the game (which was successful).

Events, oh yes! Of course being an imaginary nation, almost anything is possible. Thus far I have written some for immigration.

Sute]{h said:
More likely an independent nation as contact between Scandinavia and Vinland was lost for quite some time, and even if it wasn't Vinland would properly belong to Norway, but still I don't think they would care much about what the Norwegian king said them being very far away and such.

Well I was thinking an independent nation, since it would have been cut off during the first 500 or so years, the culture and people had plenty of time to develop on their own. The idea for this scenario was to have it loosely based on the incomplete EU2 Vinland scenario. In the EU2 one, Vinland did again have ties to Europe in the 16th century, which caused all sorts of events (religion, tech grouping, etc.)

Perhaps they would even start as uncivilized, since contact with European tech progress has been cut off... and Pagan since they worship the Norse gods rather than adhering to Christianity. :D

I wondered about that, for an EU2 era game that would certainly be true in the beginning. By the time of Victoria with the US and Britain right there and several South American nations independent and civilized, I felt Vinland would of been "civilized" by then.

Last edited:
Sute]{h said:
It could have adapted it views yes, but I would rather allow the player to make that choice by event in early 1836. Also I would prefer that the player also chooses his alliances and relations by event in early 1836. This is a fantasy MOD after all, and each is entitled to his or her own fantasy. ;)

Well even though it is pretty likely that by 1836 Viinland would be protestant, your idea of a choice sounds certainly intreging, also your idea of choice of alliances and relations. I am most curious to hear more.

However I agree that Canada properly wouldn't exist, as the British and Franch colonisation would have been halted by the existance of Vinland.

Right now I have British Canada the same as before, minus the Vinland provinces, but that is more to being in the early stages of the MOD then anything else. I am open to a different history for the Canadian provinces because of Vinland, although I don't know what it would be :confused:

LordScod said:
I would like to help.

I can help with graphics, pops, parties, whatever you want.

Cool, well I can use the help, more for what the parties, pops, events would actually be then for scripting, though assitance in that is welcomed as well.

Suggestion for starting setup

I've created three suggestions for a starting setup. With Vinland ranging in size from small to large... an even larger setup could be possible, but I didn't want to rob the US of New York.

Red means Vinland, blue means United Kingdom, green means USA.
A line indicates a border, a dot is a trade post, a square is a colonial fortress. Where nothing else is indicated the standard vanilla setup is used.

vinland_setup_small.gif

vinland_setup_medium.gif

vinland_setup_large.gif

Last edited:
Yes, this is a fantasymod, but still...
If there where a existing country in Vinland since 1100 century. Their presens would bee quite dominant. And I do not think the brittish would have that easy killed all the indians.

AND since the fantasy mod, why not create 1-2 indian nations with alliances to Vinland (since Vinland after 700 years would consist of a mixed culture between indians and scandinavians) And only have a small USA and a french independent lousiana, brittish loyalist in some parts. All the west could be divided between Dakota and souix-nation.

Then North america would be looking more like europe and more intresting.
Vinland should own iceland and Greenland also... Since their heritage from those two islands would have made the Vinlands to take it back when the danish took norway.

Well I for one don't want Vinland to own Iceland or Greenland, but they should get cores by event. This will make for excellent border conflicts with Denmark. Neither do I want a completely crippled USA. Vinland couldn't have done much to prevent the British from expanding their holdings, because of the technological gap between the two states. I could accept a Metis nation in Canada though, but still this will eliminate the colonial war option between USA, UK and Vinland, which I also find an interesting option.

My suggests form early events allowing Vinland to choose their own religion. Vinland should start as an uncivilized pagan nation, with a protestant minority. Depending on which religion one chooses ones can ask for aid from different countries, and the chance of getting the aid also depends one which religion one belongs to.
Code:
[color=white]#The religious issue
event = {
	id = 1
	trigger = {
		religion = { country = U00 type = pagan }
		random = 5
	}
	random = no
	country = U00 #Vinland tag
	name = "The religious issue"
	desc = "All of Scandinavia has turned form our ancestral religious roots to the worship of White Christ. Even the old easten tribes in Russia have abandoned the Norse faith in favor of this religion. While this isn't exactly news to us the people are looking for guidance and the Anglo-Saxons from the United Kingdom and USA are increasingly pressuring our borders. If we turn from our old ways, our chances of receiving aid and avoiding an Anglo-Saxon invasion will be increased. However Christianity isn't one religion, it is factured into several religions. Scandinavia and the Anglo-Saxons seems to call themselves Protestants, while the Russians calls themselves Orthodox. Another alternative could be to appeal to the French and Spanish who call themselves Catholics. The choice of religion could prove the most vital one we are going to make my lord, and abandoning our roots will most certainly anger the ones who don't follow your lead."
	style = 0 #Is this used in Victoria?
	data = { day = 1 month = january year = 1836 }
	offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1920 }

action_a = {
		name = "We shall become Protestant"
		command = { type = set_religion which = protestant }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = danish value = protestant when = 80 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = swedish value = protestant when = 80 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = norwegian value = protestant when = 80 }
		command = { type = relation country = DAN value = 50 } 
		command = { type = relation country = SWE value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = NOR value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = SCA value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = USA value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = ENG value = 50 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3 } #Vinland event: The protestants protests
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 4 } #Vinland event: The protestants revolts
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "We shall become Orthodox"
		command = { type = set_religion which = orthodox }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = danish value = orthodox when = 60 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = swedish value = orthodox when = 60 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = norwegian value = orthodox when = 60 }
		command = { type = relation country = RUS value = 50 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 4 } #Vinland event: The protestants revolts
	}
	action_c = {
		name = "We shall become Catholic"
		command = { type = set_religion which = catholic}
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = danish value = catholic when = 40 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = swedish value = catholic when = 40 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = norwegian value = catholic when = 40 }
		command = { type = relation country = SPA value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = FRA value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation country = PAP value = 50 }
	}
	action_d = {
		name = "We shall remain true to our roots"
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = danish value = pagan when = 20 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = swedish value = pagan when = 20 }
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = norwegian value = pagan when = 20 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 2 } #Vinland event: Norse Uprisings
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 3 } #Vinland event: The protestants protests
	}
}

#Norse Uprisings
event = {
	id = 2
	trigger = {
		event = 1
		random = 5
	}
	random = no
	name = "Norse Uprisings"
	desc = "Following the abandonment of the old Norse faith, the few people who remained loyal to the faith began a series of revolts demanding the right to practise their own religion. They recieved support from several native american groups that wanted the same right."
	offset = 3

action_a = { 
		name = "This was to be expected"
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = pagan value = pluralism when = 75 }
		command = { type = pop_consciousness which = pagan value = 2 } 
		command = { type = pop_militancy which = pagan value = 4 } 

}
}

#The Protestants protests
event = {
	id = 3
	trigger = {
		event = 1
		random = 5
	}
	random = no
	name = "The Protestants protests"
	desc = "Following the abandonment of the old Norse faith, the protestants protested that the new state religion wasn't protestantism." 
	offset = 3

action_a = { 
		name = "This was to be expected"
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = protestant value = moralism when = 75 }
		command = { type = pop_consciousness which = protestant value = 1 } 
		command = { type = pop_militancy which = protestant value = 2 } 
	}
}

#The Protestants revolts
event = {
	id = 4
	trigger = {
		event = 1
		random = 5
	}
	random = no
	name = "The Protestants revolts"
	desc = "Following the decision of remain true to the old Norse faith, the protestants revolted and tried to seize control of the government." 
	offset = 3

action_a = { 
		name = "The heathens must die!"
		command = { type = convert_pop_type which = protestant value = moralism when = 75 }
		command = { type = pop_consciousness which = protestant value = 2 } 
		command = { type = pop_militancy which = protestant value = 4 } 
	}
}[/color]

Sute]{h said:
I've created three suggestions for a starting setup. With Vinland ranging in size from small to large... an even larger setup could be possible, but I didn't want to rob the US of New York.

Wow, that's a strong Vinland there! :)

Thus far I have setup in the scenario initially is a Vinland that has the island of Labrador, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick (minus the part that later in history makes up Maine IRL) as its nation. That is a pretty small Vinland nation that allows an entire historical continental US plus British Canada (minus the Vinland part) to exist. However if the consensus here is to make Vinland larger, I am certainly open to that suggestion, the question is "how large"?

If I weren’t at work I would have a screen shot, sorry about that...

Sute]{h said:
Well I for one don't want Vinland to own Iceland or Greenland, but they should get cores by event. This will make for excellent border conflicts with Denmark. Neither do I want a completely crippled USA. Vinland couldn't have done much to prevent the British from expanding their holdings, because of the technological gap between the two states. I could accept a Metis nation in Canada though, but still this will eliminate the colonial war option between USA, UK and Vinland, which I also find an interesting option.

I do like the idea of possible conflict between Denmark over Greenland and Iceland for events, espcially after Denmark suffers from the war with Prussia. Perhaps Vinland would see this as an oppertunity to make good on their claims while Denmark is down. As for the US, yes I would like to have the nation be intact, I am open for a possible Vinland Maine though.

What I have so far...

I will have to wait until I get home to display any screenshots for people, I will post then when I can as I am in serious overtime right now here at work.

Anyway since I started this scenario, this is what I have:

I am using the VIP 0.3b scenario as a base.

I am using the U12 tag for the Vinland tag.

I am using 293000-293999 for all tags such as parties, events, leaders etc. This range was set-aside for U12 in VIP.

I have changed the Icelandic culture tag to say "Vinlander" and using it for the people of Vinland since the Icelandic tag was available in the 1836 scenario (i.e. wasn't used by any province).

I have flags and shields.

I have an initial Vinland set up covering Labrador, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick (minus the portion that became Maine IRL). I will show screenshots of all of these when I get the chance.

Right now Vinland is mostly Vinlander, who are all Protestant.

I have seven parties and around a dozen events.​

I am open to changes of course, none of the above is set in stone except for the culture tag, country tag, and ID range. Although I really do like my flags :)

I think the first questions that should be answered before anything else is:

How big should Vinland be? Will there still be a British Canada?

What should its population consist of ethnically? Should there be minorities outside the Vinlander population and if so, who will they be and what percentage?

What are the faith or faiths of the Vinalnder people?

Unhistorical or a historical fantasy path

WHY do you hve USA as it existed. It makes absolutly no sence. The only reason I can think of is that you are patriotic americans who think its cool to have some Vikings in the north instead of Brittish.