• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

laywoman

Sergeant
Paradox Staff
QA
Oct 4, 2022
Dear Victorians!

It is time for some feedback for our Open Beta. But before we would like to introduce some known issues in our 1.5 Open Beta.

If you encounter any issues in 1.5 Open Beta not listed below, please report it!

First some notes about hurdles and exploits you might encounter during warfare:
  • Commander Orders are undergoing a bit of a rework, since they will now represent the behavior of individual commanders (what they're doing) while the location (where they're doing it) is determined by their formation. This has a few implications that may not be apparent at the moment:
    • The "Stand By" Order does nothing and will be removed in future beta builds, there is never any reason to assign this currently
    • Formations will not advance unless at least one General has the Advance order. If you notice a formation you've sent to the front not advancing and creating battles, make sure the Generals you want leading the attack actually have the Advance order set. This can be done either from the Character panel or the Formation panel.
    • All Naval Orders are currently useless, they will be reworked in future beta builds
  • Naval Invasions currently have a very unintuitive UX flow and are very easy to exploit. Both will be improved in future beta builds. In 1.5.0, follow these steps to issue a Naval Invasion:
    • From the Military lens -> Navy tab, click Plan Naval Invasion
    • Select the state you want to invade
    • In the popup, select a fleet and a demobilized army
    • Ignore the static pink text as these are placeholders for information that will be added in future beta builds
    • Confirm the naval invasion
    • The fleet will now travel to the sea node off the coast of the target state
    • Meanwhile, the army will start mobilizing
    • Once the fleet has arrived and the army has mobilized, a landing battle will ensue; it is likely, in the current build, that there is no resistance and the battle will be immediately won, with the state conquered and a front created
    • The invasion is now won and the army will be assigned to the front. Remember to ensure at least one General in the army has an Advance order if you want to advance the front.
There are lots of improvements to Orders and Naval Invasions planned that will appear in Open Beta 1.5 update 1 and 2. The current version of the mechanics are geared towards giving you enough functionality to allow you to pursue and conclude wars.

Additional issues to be aware of include:
  • Visible issue in the Military tab there are two ‘Artillery’ sections’.
  • Morale Loss does not work correctly in battles, making them take an excessively long time to conclude.
  • It is possible to change names of Formations that do not belong to the player.
  • Hovering the ‘Garrisoned’ in the Formation window displays the concept for ‘Mobilize Army’.
  • In some cases flags in the ‘Load Game’ menu will be swapped causing inaccuracy.
  • Creating an Army in an ‘HQ’ does not close the map interaction for Army creation, which may give an impression that no army is created
  • Outdated Important Action for Admirals with no Flotillas in Current Situations.
  • We are aware about the untranslated main menu text, basic information in the main menu is available in English only.
  • The Naval Invasion Planner Interface contains a lot of (pink) placeholder text. The functionality that is described in this temporary text , e.g. calculations about travel time and efficiency are inaccurate.
  • When splitting a Fleet in transit during a Naval invasion, the split fleet continues on the same path as the original Naval Invasion.
  • There is some clipping in the Formation panel.
  • In the right-click menu of formations - the Station command is available within formations/fleet menus, but it's grayed out in the right-click menu.
  • You also might notice that we have unlocalized tooltips in Naval Invasions and in Military Unit Type instances.
  • Observing greater wars and clicking on Sea Nodes might decrease the performance of the game.
  • Launching the open beta outside the launcher will disable all DLCs.
Multiplayer session is currently very unstable and we advise not to play it due to some issues:
  • MacOS hosting in multiplayer sessions leads to out of syncs.
  • High chance to get an Out of Sync shortly after starting a new game in multiplayer.

We hope you enjoy the improvements and you find Known Issues useful!

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
The name of the military unit should be named after the state where the barracks was built, such as "1st Beijing Irregular Infantry", which can be learned from the EU4, because sometimes I want to put together soldiers from places where wages are cheap, such as if I were UK, I would put together soldiers from India, and let the Indian soldiers fight hard wars, because India has more manpower and it is cheap.But even in India, different states have different manpower, and different wages.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The name of the military unit should be named after the state where the barracks was built, such as "1st Beijing Irregular Infantry", which can be learned from the EU4, because sometimes I want to put together soldiers from places where wages are cheap, such as if I were UK, I would put together soldiers from India, and let the Indian soldiers fight hard wars, because India has more manpower and it is cheap.But even in India, different states have different manpower, and different wages.
de6ccd69a52f8f49a54d5a54d004c9b8.jpg

0f0b56ccd1aa560d3086d67863bcefb9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like the simple local price system, disappointed with companies though as it seems to be only nation-wide bonus thingy for focusing in certain industries, maybe I'm missing something?

• 5Like
Reactions:
I like the simple local price system, disappointed with companies though as it seems to be only nation-wide bonus thingy for focusing in certain industries, maybe I'm missing something?

Maybe it should be re-described as something relating to a country's prestige in terms of producing certain goods (like France with wines, Italy with leather, Germany with motors, etc..)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Looks like companies are just a bunch of modifiers like EU4 estates, which is disappointing. I was hoping they'd have their own combined budgets and own expansion plans, like in Capitalism 2, if it's just modifiers and an occasional generic mission I honestly think they should leave it out. I'd rather have features like private construction sectors or proper state subsidies, which would make the economy feel alive than more top-down modifier stacking.

As for the military, everyone has only infantry at game start and the AI appears to be incapable of constructing artillery, which breaks most wars, as the battles take too long. Occupation appears to be too slow/bugged, Ottomans won 10 battles already and still have only captured Adana.
Some countries need more armies. Brazil looses its starting wars because they can't staff their frontlines in time.

EDIT: Actually it turns out the army builder is defective. If you tell it to build artillery/cavalry barracks it will instead build ordinary infantry barracks. Same is true for ships. No one can actually build artillery/cavalry right now in the current build.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions:
Looks like companies are just a bunch of modifiers like EU4 estates, which is disappointing. I was hoping they'd have their own combined budgets and own expansion plans, like in Capitalism 2, if it's just modifiers and an occasional generic mission I honestly think they should leave it out. I'd rather have features like private construction sectors or proper state subsidies, which would make the economy feel alive than more top-down modifier stacking.

As for the military, everyone has only infantry at game start and the AI appears to be incapable of constructing artillery, which breaks most wars, as the battles take too long. Occupation appears to be too slow/bugged, Ottomans won 10 battles already and still have only captured Adana.
Some countries need more armies. Brazil looses its starting wars because they can't staff their frontlines in time.
sadly they are exactly as advertised

nevermind they are way worse than i thought
I was really hoping for more autonomic economic activities. Even with private investment in its current state, the game still is exhausting to play due to the micromanagement load from all the building and trade management.
What about private trading and automatic production mode switching? What about Private construction industry?
And why aren't we allowed to just subsidize our investment pool? This would be such a minor addition but would impact greatly how the game is played.
Because I absolutely can't be bothered to manage any part of private construction because I consider it immersion breaking and boring.
The game is still so click heavy that I feel adding "corporations" that are really just estates/tradecompanies from EU4 is a step into the wrong direction.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If I'm not misremembering, I recall reading in a previous dev diary that partial occupation of a state will not result in a capitulation but that's what seems to be happening in the current open beta release. Is this something the devs are planning to add later in the beta?

View attachment 1018679that didn't take long to break so far 1.5 is alot better then the old system
Welcome to the Paradox Forums, gangstamaine!

It's nice that you're enjoying the open beta.

But I don't understand your post. Please help me out. What broke? Do you mean that you 'broke' the enemy (defeated them) or that the game is somehow broken?

Overproduction is blue at national market but orange at local price is a bit confusing
In Army screen, Cavalry was labelled artillery. Would be great if it is list by order of infantry/cavalry/artillery. (EU4 player;))
It would be great if there is a split between state-ownership and civilian-ownership for buildings. When company is form, their cash reserve is merged and there is "Shares" split between state and other civilian owner based on ownership at the start and subsequent investment(through constructing specific building of that company). At the same time, company can use their cash reserve to build their specific building through private construction.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe it should be re-described as something relating to a country's prestige in terms of producing certain goods (like France with wines, Italy with leather, Germany with motors, etc..)
Yeah, maybe rename "companies" to "nation specializations" or something? I'm fine including it into the game, but naming it companies seems weird to me because they have no autonomy whatsoever

• 4Like
Reactions:
I also found an exploit. Reverse swaying for a state is very easy with decentalised powers and don't affect war goals. Meaning you can steal states from others then capitualte day 1 from the war.

Brazil (Me) joins a war between Mapuche (Decentralised power) and Argentina (AI) on the side of Mapuche by reverse swaying: asking for the state of Buenos Aires from Mapuche. As soon as war breaks out Brazil can capitulate day 1 and then gets to keep Burenos Aires for free.

Here is a list of all the bugs I have encountered within the open beta that I did not see on the known issues list as well as some balancing recommandations when it comes to companies.

1. First of all, I had a game breaking bug in which both commanders died during the same battle, making it so that no unit on either side of the battle could die. (The battle was locked at 1k troops left for NGF vs 6k troops left for Austria, both stuck at 0%). This made it so that the war would go on infinitly as neither side would concede.

2. Conquered territory visuals during wars is also no longer shown unless a state has been completly captured, which does seem like an unitentional change.

3. Eventhough conscription is no longer a feature that is currently in the beta, sometimes some states do still conscript. For example, I just randomly got 4 conscripts active as the US in a war against Mexico.

4. Production methods are in general working well, but any military based prduction method currencly works against the player and also blocks any military building based company from becoming productive due to the missing production methods for the troops. (I am aware that this might not necessarily be a bug, but seeing this fixed as part of a hotfix would be very nice in order to test how strong military companies actually are).

I also found an exploit. Reverse swaying for a state is very easy with decentalised powers and don't affect war goals. Meaning you can steal states from others then capitualte day 1 from the war.

Brazil (Me) joins a war between Mapuche (Decentralised power) and Argentina (AI) on the side of Mapuche by reverse swaying: asking for the state of Buenos Aires from Mapuche. As soon as war breaks out Brazil can capitulate day 1 and then gets to keep Burenos Aires for free.

Here is a list of all the bugs I have encountered within the open beta that I did not see on the known issues list as well as some balancing recommandations when it comes to companies.

1. First of all, I had a game breaking bug in which both commanders died during the same battle, making it so that no unit on either side of the battle could die. (The battle was locked at 1k troops left for NGF vs 6k troops left for Austria, both stuck at 0%). This made it so that the war would go on infinitly as neither side would concede.

2. Conquered territory visuals during wars is also no longer shown unless a state has been completly captured, which does seem like an unitentional change.

3. Eventhough conscription is no longer a feature that is currently in the beta, sometimes some states do still conscript. For example, I just randomly got 4 conscripts active as the US in a war against Mexico.

4. Production methods are in general working well, but any military based prduction method currencly works against the player and also blocks any military building based company from becoming productive due to the missing production methods for the troops. (I am aware that this might not necessarily be a bug, but seeing this fixed as part of a hotfix would be very nice in order to test how strong military companies actually are).
Welcome to the Paradox forums, elk135 and W4RPER!

Thank you for contributing to the community by reporting these bugs. This looks like exactly the kind of feedback that PDX want. However, I think they want the bugs reported on the Victoria 3 Discord server, not here. (I know this post doesn't mention it, but read the end of this post, which also has a link). So it would be great if you could post the bugs over there.

Also, on W4RPER's point 2: I haven't played 1.5 yet (I'm typing this while waiting for the beta to download right now :p ) but I think that is an intentional change which is missing from the Changelog. Read the section on State-based Front Movement in this dev diary.

• 1Like
Reactions: