Very Important, I am worried about balancing issues in 2.0, suggestions to balance.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

maurot12

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Oct 1, 2019
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Hello,

i love the new levies feature, but i believe it will worsen game balance significantly. Since game release late game in I:R was similar to a ww1 scenario with infinite manpower/gold and 1million+ armies (in my opinion this is caused by pop growth and "few to nonexistent pop death" + all the tech boosts), 2.0 as of now is magnifying this problem because of levies. The two biggest gold sinks army maintenance and inventions are almost gone. So gold will as abundant as sand in the desert.

For example at game start base on the pictures shown in the dev diary, rome can muster a 45k levy, from an initial 400pops. However in my last game i had this many roman pops:
post1.png

That means i can raise approx. 1.600.000 levies only from my roman pops(not considering possible levy boosts), and i already have another ~1.000.000 standing army with 500k manpower in the pool, with a ridiculous gold income, this is in 60BC btw. Historically i should have 40-100k armies during this period, never on the millions.

You might say that there is a cost to raising the levies and that balances it, but actually NO. The gold is almost exclusively generated by slaves via tax & commerce income (trade goods surpluses), and slaves aren't levied, so the penalties for raising the levies are practically non existent, specially in mid-late game when gold/mnpwr are infinite and you have so many surpluses.
For example, in the pictures from the latest Dev diary you see that raising the levies will cost -2.74 gold, however since there is no standing armies anymore the initial gold income for rome is 4.17 per tick, so even when levies are raised you would still make a lot of gold.
To make matters worse, because we no longer need to carpet siege there is almost no pop death, before the only way to kill pops was through occupation, now you only need to occupy capital/forts.

As for suggestions i will be vague since there are many ways to do it and devs are the ones who would know better than i do what is possible:

1- Eliminate manpower completely and spend pops for recruitment, also pop death always when levies partially/completely die (not only when stackwiped).
2- Reduce slaves tax income and increase freemen/citizien/nobles tax income, also for getting surpluses you need other pops as well, not just slaves, because it comes a point when commerce income>>>tax income. This way the cost of raising the levies is actually very significant as it should be.
3-Add a food production penalty when raising levies so provinces tend to starve reflecting the fact that the farmers goes to war. Also increase food consumption across the board. We need more starvation for "pop growth control" and making food resources the most important resources as it should be.
4-Add disease mechanics?
5-Hard/soft caps in army size & command. (like in hoi4)
6-Rework civil wars & slave revolts & make them more common for more death?
7-Add gold sinks.

I know many people hate the idea of lower pop growth and RNG since it interferes with the easy map painting aspirations of many. But you can please both sides by modifying the difficulties to make harder difficulties have more RNG and bigger penalties as they should to have a challenging and historical game.

I really hope you put a high priority on balancing the game as well and not just adding new features. I only mention things about 2.0, but a lot of things from previous version needs balancing as well, like loyalty, since i can basically have free standing armies & navies by just assigning low loyalty generals and then bribe+make friends.
Please take your time with 2.0 even it takes a lot, i am willing to wait.

That's all Discuss!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I just hit a idea. There is no rebuild cost in game. Once you conquer a land, it will release 100% productivity immediately.
There should be a negative level percent reduce output. Then you can spent gold to rebuild or wait a long time with low output.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I just hit a idea. There is no rebuild cost in game. Once you conquer a land, it will release 100% productivity immediately.
There should be a negative level percent reduce output. Then you can spent gold to rebuild or wait a long time with low output.
Nice idea, you should post in senatus populusque.

Reactions:
Thing is i don't see how that would reflect reality, usually there wasn't destroyed infrastructure, and people after being conquer kept working like usual cause they would starve otherwise and had to pay their tributes.
The thing that would reflect reality better IMO is having for example 15% of the pops dying and 5% enslaved from conquering. Also N/C/F should provide low manpower/research until a decade or 2 have pass.
Edit: Also going back to the OP, when you raised levies food production should be negative to the point that pops starve and die while the levies are raised and after war if the levies suffered casualties food production should also suffer because part of the male population died.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think the OP's hit it hard and spot on about balance. It's seriously game breaking 150 years in to a campaign. In a few areas not just pops.

Pop growth needs to be WHACKED down. Pops need to be a rarity and more sensitive to war/ famine and introduce a lighter form of Ck2's disease system. Only a real abundance of food should allow for a meaningful increase in pops.

Other arbitrary paradox systems like aggressive expansion/ war exhaustion need to be reviewed also, just saying. Make them relatable as now AE should not effect stability or pop happiness, didn't happen in history so shouldn't happen here. It's just a mechanism as of now to slow the player down when strategic considerations should be doing this.

War exhaustion is also very lacklustre. I rage quitted my last campaign as Rome when a white peace was forced on me fighting Carthage.

The WG was carthago nova and I head built up a few Spanish client states around Carthage in Spain to stop them expanding. The war started terribly and Carthage pushed me out of the WG and both sides had lost 150,000 men after 5 years I also invaded N Africa with 50,000 men and was sacking everything. Eventually Carthage started to squeel and were on the back foot and I had built up a 84,000 stack in spain ready to clean up. BUT as I hadn't occupied the war goal after 5 years and had 150,000 casualties a white peace was forced!

So now I'm staring at my 84,000 stack in spain, my 50,000 stack in North Africa, italia is bustling as the war hasn't come home to Italy at all and its Carthage that are tanking, money is flowing, manpower is abundant BUT these arbitrary war exhaustion, war goal, force peace mechanics ended the war? Oh for the love of God please rebalance these.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agree, that the balance is extremely important, but when it comes to pops, I would rather decrease the default output of a single pop unit than decrease the growth (even that the latter would increase the game performance in the late game). Why? Because a too slow pop growth would make the feature and the game possibilities around it too meaningless. And I wouldn't say the current growth is too fast, but the options you have to get a lot of output from the pops (gamey building mechanics - especially in megacities, current balance of migration attraction, migration speed, pop promotion speed, etc.) I would prefer to balance these things, change building effects, invent smaller mechanics or events to keep pops inline, but keep pop growth as a meaningful game feature, even if this isn't historical, but in a game like this there should always be a good middleground between gameplay and historical accuracy.

So I just want to remind, that fixing one problem could lead to new ones. So concrete + good suggestions are sadly not as easy as we all would like them to be, if they are embedded in a somewhat complex mechanic.

Reactions:
Re the back-and-forth earlier in the thread about pop death, they have already mentioned in one of the recent dev diaries that there will be a chance of pops dying when their associated levy is destroyed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...developer-diary-9th-of-november-2020.1441511/

Levies are raised on a Governorship basis, and only pops that belong to integrated cultures will be called up. Since all able-bodied men from that pop are now part of your armed forces, any pop that is part of the levy will stop contributing to the economy, until the levy is disbanded.
In addition to not producing income while levied, a pop that is part of a levy is exempt from migration, assimilation, conversion, and starvation. Perhaps most importantly, when a unit dies, so may it's associated pop!

It really does feel like manpower, in its current implementation, will largely become redundant in the 2.0 update, but i've not seen this acknowledged or addressed in any of the dev diaries.

Reactions:
Re the back-and-forth earlier in the thread about pop death, they have already mentioned in one of the recent dev diaries that there will be a chance of pops dying when their associated levy is destroyed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...developer-diary-9th-of-november-2020.1441511/

It really does feel like manpower, in its current implementation, will largely become redundant in the 2.0 update, but i've not seen this acknowledged or addressed in any of the dev diaries.

Some people think, that not enough pops will die (not me and writing this sentence feels so weird :D ), because this might only happen by a stack whipe and they are very rare, especially for the player, who is usually pretty good at dodging a stack whipe. But I don't think that not enough pops die at the moment. I guess we will gigure it out at the release or in a beta.

I'm really curious about the final balance of manpower, but it's in the late game still important, because legions relay fully on it. Also replenishment of levies is based on manpower. Manpower is also halved with 2.0. This doesn't affect recruitment of legions really, because cohort size is also halved, but I guess replenishment requires still a lot of manpower, if wars aren't in ones favour. We have to wait and see, if the balance of manpower is in a good spot.