UPDATED 14/06/18 - *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits of PDS games ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like to either mod the 4th Crusade (CK2 DLC) or the Olympic Games (Imperator: Rome base game) into CK3. How do I get those two items as required DLC to make the mod available for download?

Just using the concepts won't mandate a requirement- neither the fourth crusaded nor the Olympic Games were invented by Paradox, after all, and EUIV mods set in the middle ages or antiquity don't require CK or Imperator. If you had copied code, you would obviously need to require the source, but, given how different the scripting schemes are between the games, your will almost certainly wind up rewriting everything from scratch even if you use the CK2 or Imperator code as a model or inspiration.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wanted to make a CK3 mod and was wondering if it was possible to use any material from Exalted first edition. Looked it up and from what I can tell both ck3 and exalted is owned by Paradox. But wasn't sure if any of it was usable as a resource/reference for modding. Map, setting, whatever.

Wanted to make a CK3 mod and was wondering if it was possible to use any material from Exalted first edition. Looked it up and from what I can tell both ck3 and exalted is owned by Paradox. But wasn't sure if any of it was usable as a resource/reference for modding. Map, setting, whatever.

I would imagine it's permissible if you enforce an "Absolutely no donations" policy and don't actually use assets from the setting (e.g. looking at a picture of the Scarlet Empress to create a character portrait is one thing, inserting an officail 3D model (if one exists) is another) or the like, considering the existence of certain other mods using established settings and that there was at least one attempt at a CK2 Exalted mod way back when.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would imagine it's permissible if you enforce an "Absolutely no donations" policy and don't actually use assets from the setting (e.g. looking at a picture of the Scarlet Empress to create a character portrait is one thing, inserting an officail 3D model (if one exists) is another) or the like, considering the existence of certain other mods using established settings and that there was at least one attempt at a CK2 Exalted mod way back when.
No, I have a job, not doing donations. Everything will be hand crafted; didn't know there was already another mod like it. Thanks for the heads up ill see what I can dig up.

In vanilla CK3, there are two scripted invasions: The Mongols and the Almohad Caliphate. Both work by spawning a scripted character into the world, granting them a tiny piece of land and starting a war.
In Flavor Pack 1, viking invasions were introduced: A scripted character is spawned into the game and a war is started without granting them any landed titles beforehand.

I've written a mod called Historic Invasions (see Steam Workshop). Currently I spawn in characters by giving them one to three landed provinces and then starting a scripted war. I thought it would be more fair to a player character and more interesting in general if the invaders spawned without land for their first war.

Would I have to restrict the landless invasions to players who own Flavor Pack 1? Or does that not fall under rule 7)?
It's a simple thing, too, as I'd mostly just need to add "set_landless_title = yes" to the titles that are in the game.

Last edited:
In vanilla CK3, there are two scripted invasions: The Mongols and the Almohad Caliphate. Both work by spawning a scripted character into the world, granting them a tiny piece of land and starting a war.
In Flavor Pack 1, viking invasions were introduced: A scripted character is spawned into the game and a war is started without granting them any landed titles beforehand.

I've written a mod called Historic Invasions (see Steam Workshop). Currently I spawn in characters by giving them one to three landed provinces and then starting a scripted war. I thought it would be more fair to a player character and more interesting in general if the invaders spawned without land for their first war.

Would I have to restrict the landless invasions to players who own Flavor Pack 1? Or does that not fall under rule 7)?
It's a simple thing, too, as I'd mostly just need to add "set_landless_title = yes" to the titles that are in the game.
PDX doesn't have a copyright on the concept of a landless ruler invading. They only get to limit use of their specific art, not the ideas.

Fellow deuteranopia user here, had problems since forever but I got used to it.

Mind sharing the mod? I'll see if there's something I can do. I saw in a post that they use CRC to check the files. If they actually do, CRC has a mathematical property which allows you to easily make any file get the CRC you want.

If it's SHA or some other algorithm with collision resistance, I'm SOL unless we wanna go full anti-vac. I've seen straightforwards anti-vacs in the past but I don't wanna risk my account =/.

Fellow deuteranopia user here, had problems since forever but I got used to it.

Mind sharing the mod? I'll see if there's something I can do. I saw in a post that they use CRC to check the files. If they actually do, CRC has a mathematical property which allows you to easily make any file get the CRC you want.

If it's SHA or some other algorithm with collision resistance, I'm SOL unless we wanna go full anti-vac. I've seen straightforwards anti-vacs in the past but I don't wanna risk my account =/.
A. It looks like you posted this in the wrong thread, as I don't see anybody else talking about deuteranopia.

B. Posting about circumventing PDX's systems on a thread frequented by mods & PDX employees is probably a bad idea.

C. Since you obviously created this as a burner account, don't be surprised if it gets burned.

I want to make CK3 UI mod for CK2 and there are original CK3 icons in https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com I want to use. Would I violate something, if I have used some of them? At least, can I use these icons for a mod which only I will use?

If it's a mod only you will use, then you can do what you like- no one but you will ever know, and they wouldn't care if they did. If you plan to distribute the mod, that would fall under rule 7 in the first post: "Mods created with content owned by Paradox Interactive must be made so that they will only be usable by players who have the corresponding game or DLC installed. If this requirement is beyond the technical ability of the particular mod maker (or it is impossible due to the nature of said mod) then they cannot be used". For example, you could ensure that the people who recieve the mod actually have the game the icons are from by not including the icons themselves but requiring the user to copy them from the original files.

I want to make CK3 UI mod for CK2 and there are original CK3 icons in https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com I want to use. Would I violate something, if I have used some of them?.....

The rule is put in place , as far as i know, to prevent players to use mods with the same mechanic, script or simply said same file content as is already inside the respective DLC of a specific game.
That doesn't apply here.

Usualy that would mean you should be allowed to use it, but nowadays nothing is impossible and pointless enough to not be occassionaly getting chased by mods, agents or lawyers for allegedly breaking legality, so i suppose if you want to be absolutely sure you should ask for an official response.

I suppose you could ask for example @DebbieElla or rather she could maybe tell you more.

At least, can I use these icons for a mod which only I will use?

Sure.
That would be hell and the tyrannic dystopia we were warned of in the past, if we were already at a point where this is possible to prevent
and criminalise, but it's looking like we might get there relatively soon.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Regarding voluntary donation, Eu4 usermod rules forbids it
while this main thread actually says

SNEAKY EDIT:
Removed the following line: You may not solicit directly or indirectly donation in any form.
Our terms of use has been updated and you are allowed to include a link to Patreon (for example). If someone wants to donate for the time you've invested in creating your mod, that's fine, but make sure it follows rule 8 above.
It would be useful to actualize it for EU4 modders so as to not be questioning whether it is legal or illegal

Reactions: