• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7: Quelle heurre est'il? (1848-1849)​

1849discovery1.png

A social conscience for everybody!

It's February of 1848, and Spring is still a month or two away. But that doesn't stop president Fallon from running the country smoothly. There has been a surplus of cotton picked in the country, and it has been offered towards stockpiling for worse days. Congress instead decides to get a better standing abroad, and it is sent as a gift to Savoy.

1849cotton.png

It's not much but it appeases their government tremendously.

In the home country of Burgundy, things aren't running as smoothly. Over in Flanders, there has been some sort of revolution, with new sounds engulfing the entire world.

1849anarcho.png

Anarcho-Liberals, they might soon take over the world. Or not. I don't know.

After we won our limited war against Venice, it seems to have gone downhill for them all the way since then. Bohemia finally sued for peace, and Venice is left with only it's core province of Venice. The rest of the land has been divided amongst Bohemian's Rhapsodies... I mean allies.

1849venice.png

The harsh reality of war, there are no real winners.

1849school1.png

Apparently, we discriminate in our schools.

In August another discovery is made. Sadly it was already known across the world so we don't get the benefit we deserved. But it is still an insight to what the future holds.

1849discovery2.png

Hegelian Idealism.

While President Alphonse Fallon is gearing up towards the upcoming elections, Congress is in turmoil. We do not seem to be loved around the world and this must be the 5th time within the past few years that we have to deal with barbarians and downright backwards people. Outrage is heard throughout the Houses, and action should be taken.

1849insults1.png

"Where on Earth is Jaisalmer anyway?" President Fallon, not the best in geography.

1849uh.png

Discoveries, Upper Houses and Elections, oh my!

The Liberals still rise in the Upper House and the effect of the Anarcho-Liberals is not yet greatly felt here.

The election this year sees a new-comer to the stage of politics. The Parti Radicale was founded in the wake of the Anarcho-Liberal revolution in Burgundy, which rippled to it's former colony fast. For the Parti Radicale, John Stavreau is running to become the new President. The other three parties have chosen to select the same men as last election to run; Marc du Cavalier for the Parti Patriote, and Jean Beaucomp for the Parti de la Nation. Alphonse Fallon will be running for the Parti Conservateur, as is customary for a first term incumbent President to do, it usually means great results.

Having dominated politics since the split from Burgundy, the Parti Conservateur is keen on keeping this status quo, but Stavreau's Radicals are steaming towards success.

1849debates1.png

The debates start rather dull with religion, but then economy takes over.

The economy will be a very important factor this election. The Conservatives have over the past few years gained great success with their protectionism policies and by switching to interventionist policies, having been able to keep the factories open and the people working. But this has come at a price, there are a few factories running on enormous subsidies, which is having an impact on the federal reserves. The Radicals are exploiting this by guaranteeing free trade and laissez-faire policies, which seems to affect quite a few voters rapidly.

1849discovery3.png

Discovery made in March, it will help future warfare.

1849debates2.png

The third large debate, an issue of war and peace.

By now it seems that the race for the Presidency will be between Fallon and Stavreau. Where the Radicals have made enormous gains with their economic standpoint, the Conservatives managed to counter this sentiment with their view on the military. The people still feel decently threatened by the Plantagenets and the Vinlandians, so the Radical's proposed Pacifism doesn't really swing many voters to its point of view.

Around the same time as this military debate, researchers from that same military managed to succesfully reverse engineer the weapons found in the Septima-Venetian War for St. Augustine. Muzzle-Loaded Rifles are being made and distributed among the military right now.

1849research.png

The industrial sector can use a boost in the supply of coal.

1849school2.png

More unhappiness about discrimination in our schools.

On the 26th of March, one of the most important debates between Fallon and Stavreau takes place, in Flandre Supérieure. Not only is it another economic debate, the voter base in this state comprises of 11% of the end result come July. The debate is so heated, that no-one could predict what outcome it would entail, and we would have to wait for the end results.

1849debates3.png

Luckily for Fallon, the Radicals had yet to take a considerable amount of voters in the state before the debate.

1849debates4.png

A small debate with a clear anti-religious outcome.

On May the 1st, an exhibition is opened in Nouvelle Bruges that lifts the art of this Romantic period to new levels. All that visit are amazed over the glorious collection, and they shall remember it for a long time coming.

1849discovery4.png

Romanticist Art, beauty in the making.

Because the issue of Religion is less important to both the major contenders in this election, Fallon had decided to steer his campaign in that direction. Knowing that a direct confrontation concerning industry and economy was an uphill battle, religion would be a good way to blow of the steam against him and the Parti Conservateur.

1849debates5.png

Two exactly the same debates were held in different states.

1849insults2.png

Congress gets a distraction for a while.

The final debate of the election. It went completely as Stavreau had hoped. Economy was the subject, and Incumbent President Fallon had trouble keeping up with the Radical's positions and views on the subject. Stavreau won this debate with ease, and could only hope that enough damage had been done to the Conservatives, so that the Parti Radicale might carry a few states, if not enough for the Presidency.

1849debates6.png

Decisive for Laissez-Faire.

Then, on July the 1st, all the parties were done with the debates, the campaigning, the election was on its way. All four parties were awaiting the choices of the people, and finally the result was in.

1849election.png

The Radicals had only managed to carry one state, but it was a start. They had only started one year ago to spread their ideology in The Seven Republics, and had already made an impact. This might have consequences for the future, but for now Alphonse Fallon was going to start his second term as President.

another great update :D
vinland and the nation whose name we dare not speak should be fully annexed into the seven (though maybe there are more by now?) republics
this great victory should asure a victory for the conservatives in the next election

I've always thought there should be a decision for the Seven Republics that, once they've annexed all their core territories, their name changes to the number of provinces in their territory (or just to the Septiman Republics, or something more broad). I don't know if that would be possible without a tag change like what Austria-Hungary has, though.

Regardless, still really enjoying this AAR. Great stuff.

Chapter 8 - Le Recensement National (1849)​

1849 was a relatively calm year for The Seven Republics. Elected to his second term, President Alphonse Fallon had formulated a grand plan to hold a national census, counting how many people inhabited the Republics, how the economy was doing, general election preferences, and more along this line. He announced his plans to Congress in late July, and it was set in motion on September 1st. The census was expected to finish in late November, and December would be used to collect all the data. It was a big undertaking, and Fallon couldn't have chosen a more tranquil time to do it in. In August, the biggest news would come from Europe, where Russia had expanded to the north, annexing Novgorod.

1850Russia.png

They are still not a Great Power strangely enough.

In October, a poet of Afro-Burgundian descent starts making a name for himself, and it causes some murmurs left and right.

1850Poet.png

There once was a man from Nantucket...

And in December, a young girl lost her life while working in the mines. The whole nation would be in mourning all afternoon and evening.

1850Tragedy.png

Tragedy.

Then, finally, on January 1st 1850, the Census results are presented to Congress. This together with a newly formed Upper House.

1850UH.png

More liberals. They're gonna have a party!

==================================================
The National Census

Population

1850Census1.png

According to this sheet, we are the second greatest nation in the world.

The Seven Republics are a highly influential member of the international community, even though it is the sole great power in its hemisphere. In the area of Prestige, it is the most prestigious nation on Earth. In the area of Industry, we are behind the powers of Europa in 5th place. Our military is also in fifth place, but it is virtually on par with the other contenders. Combined, we are the second ranked nation across the globe.

Our nation consists of 24,27 million people, with a healthy 6 million working men. 46% are Septiman, 19,5% are Vinlandic, 17% Plantagenian.

1850Census6.png

Pie... charts.

Economy

1850Census2.png

Our most productive provinces.

Our biggest produced good is tobacco, and we are by far the biggest producer of tobacco worldwide. There is still lots of available land to expand even more production.

1850Census3.png

Nationwide production amounts.

Budget

1850Census4.png

The daily budget of The Seven Republics.

Politics & Reform

1850Census5.png

The 7R are very politically reformed, but a lot has to be done in the social area.

Diplomacy

1850Census8.png

The Great Powers of the world.

1850Census9.png

The current wars in the world.

Map of the Nation

1850StateoftheRepublic.png

The map. No seriously, it's just a map. Look at it! It is just a map!

==================================================

It's not as if pre-Mexican territory the USA has such a beautiful border to speak of :p

I know!

But, it annoys me! You must be from coast to coast!

Also I would say realistically no other power could challenge you in North America so you could probably ignore the BB and annex your neighbors and have a navy to hold off any would be containment wars!

there seems to be an orange stain on the southern portion of your great nation good sir. perhaps some specialized "map cleaners" could be sent in and turn it septimian brown?

I know!

But, it annoys me! You must be from coast to coast!

Also I would say realistically no other power could challenge you in North America so you could probably ignore the BB and annex your neighbors and have a navy to hold off any would be containment wars!

The DM will occasionally get a big head and intervene in Arcadia. Nothing the 7Republics couldn't handle though, so you're right.

And yes. Annex Plantagenia, please. They're making your borders ugly D:

Now now, everyone, his borders aren't ugly. We just think they're ugly because we're expecting to see the real modern day borders of the USA and Ca-

Oh what the hell - INVADE THE PLANTAGENIANS!

I for one want to see the Great Lakes completely encased in lovely brown!

(Upon reading that, I realize that it sounds like I'm advocating for dumping sewage! :p )

Wouldn't be that hard. Once the Seven Republics survive the initial onslaught of Vinlandic and Plantagenian soldiers trying to destroy it, it's typically the number one military power on the continent.

Also, if Russia's score is accurate, it'll be Great Power in several months. Hooray!

I have been reading this since the beginning but have not commented yet. But this AAR has shaped quite well so I just have to say 'good job' :). Btw, I am looking forward to see the USAsque 7Rep. (yes, I even named my savegame as 7Rep USA.v2 :))