• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought the trailer was just a bunch of noise.

I didn't get any information about the game from it at all.
Without the blurb on the thread I would not have known anything about the game other that it was a fantasy based game featuring an evil power and subjugated people.
The theme of tyranny was present, but it had no focus....the screened scenes of violence and hidden faces only added to the ambiguity and frustration, rather than explain anything about the game.
It is fine to foreshadow, but with a new IP you need to have something that actually casts a shadow - ie. people need to know what you are foreshadowing.
  • What was the game about? Who is the player supposed to be?
  • Am I the last hero?
  • Am I the townsfolk?
  • Am I a random person from the land?
  • Is this an RPG or RTS?
  • Is it a FPS or turned-based?
None of these questions can be answered from the trailer.
If the point of the trailer was to be vague and create a sense that the player could determine their own path, I felt that it overshot as I have no point of reference to begin with. Establish my starting point and then show me the world of options before me - please do not start in shadow and hidden scenes and talk around the entire concept of the game.

...and before all you forum-heads start panning me...have another look at the trailer from the point of view that you had never heard about anything about the game...by the end of it...can you honestly say you know what the game is?
I want the developers to succeed, but I do not think that trailer will help them.

I thought the trailer was just a bunch of noise.

I didn't get any information about the game from it at all.
Without the blurb on the thread I would not have known anything about the game other that it was a fantasy based game featuring an evil power and subjugated people.
The theme of tyranny was present, but it had no focus....the screened scenes of violence and hidden faces only added to the ambiguity and frustration, rather than explain anything about the game.
It is fine to foreshadow, but with a new IP you need to have something that actually casts a shadow - ie. people need to know what you are foreshadowing.
  • What was the game about? Who is the player supposed to be?
  • Am I the last hero?
  • Am I the townsfolk?
  • Am I a random person from the land?
  • Is this an RPG or RTS?
  • Is it a FPS or turned-based?
None of these questions can be answered from the trailer.
If the point of the trailer was to be vague and create a sense that the player could determine their own path, I felt that it overshot as I have no point of reference to begin with. Establish my starting point and then show me the world of options before me - please do not start in shadow and hidden scenes and talk around the entire concept of the game.

...and before all you forum-heads start panning me...have another look at the trailer from the point of view that you had never heard about anything about the game...by the end of it...can you honestly say you know what the game is?
I want the developers to succeed, but I do not think that trailer will help them.

Trailer isn't supposed to give you that info. It's supposed to make you want to look at other sources for that info.

Thanks The_Unificator and Thure. I'll check out both places.

no problem Wenla, we are here to help and share, have a nice day;)

If a company could and would combine the individuality of The Guild along with the complexities and depth of EU and CK and include an RPG element for individual character progression, well that would be a game I'd buy. lol

With Tyranny, we love the twist we’ve put on the world which started with the premise ‘What if evil already won?’

I think you'll have a hard time creating a world that has more tyranny than the Crusader Kings franchise. Looking forward to seeing what comes out though.

I'd like to see real tyranny, like what we see/hear in The Witcher 3. Proper tyranny. Like villagers walking around talking about sending their kids in to the forest to be eaten by the local monster because they can't afford to feed all of them. Stuff like that.

The local tyrant's soldiers sitting in a bar talking about a particularly good rape they did one day.

Makes the world feel suitably tyrannical.

Have you even played PoE? Eder is hilarious, Kana can be decently funny too. Also the game is hardly politically correct, just listen about anything Durance says.

"Politically correct" generally means, "I disagree with this liberal stance."

I hope we get the opportunity to ovethrow Kyros... and make ourselves the new overlord of course. Why serve an evil overlord if you can't pull a Starscream?

I thought I read the word "tranny" when I first saw the banner-ad for this. Sigh, I hate my eyes.

Last edited: