• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This last one was a bit of a doozy; lots of things seem to happen when Musa Odek is in office.

I've never got around to playing Stellaris so I'm just going along with the ride rather than really appreciating what you're doing game-wise, but this is a great read, Charger24. Your command of the narrative makes it really easy for an ingenu like me to get invested somehow in the story, and I'm looking forward to seeing where humanity goes next. Best of luck!

Very kind of you to say. I hope I'll be able to keep the narrative properly on-track as the UNE expands and the events become more varied.

Good timing, considering I just stumbled across this amazing AAR! I really love how it's more focused on the Sol system since FTL barely exists. (I might be pressured to try out the pre-FTL mod next time).

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! Once proper FTL does come, the story will take a turn towards a much more traditional Stellaris style. I just like the way the pre-FTL mod forces you to ease your way into it.

A nice look at Odek’s increasingly executive style of government. I like the mention of full automation – hopefully the UNE’s course to fully automated luxury space communism won’t be derailed too much by any future liberal presidencies. :p

Interesting characterisation of the discovery of new life forms, as well. I think you’re right that it would be a little unsettling, however exciting it may be.

President Odek was a very politicalyl aggressive politician pushing though both legalizing robots and human cloning. The approach has apparently paid off for now. Humanity is still just dipping its toes in the interstellar void for now.

2274-2285 - the Second Odek Administration, Part 2
Only mankind
Can do the impossible:
He can distinguish,
He chooses and judges,
He can give permanence
To the moment.
-
Johann Wolfgang von Geothe, Das Göttliche (The Divine)

2274-2284 - the Second Odek Administration, Part 2

20190630031456_1.jpg

President Musa Odek rung in his unprecedented third term in office by personally declaring the formal founding of the fifth Solar Republic, Mercury. Colonization efforts, initially limited to only a small scientific presence, had begun in earnest once it became clear just how much raw solar power could be harvested from arrays in Mercury's vast crater fields. Although the lack of an atmosphere confined settlers on Mercury to near-permanent confinement within radiation-shielded habitats, by the late 23rd century virtual reality technology was advanced enough that truly damaging psychological consequences of these conditions were rare.

Mercury's colonization coincided with an important milestone for the United Nations of Earth. By 2275, nearly five million humans lived somewhere other than Earth. To the alarm of the non-Labour parties, the vast majority of these voters had become loyal supporters of the LRN - or more specifically, President Odek. Prior to Odek's second term in office, no President had personally visited any of the Solar Republics; between 2265 and 2270 alone, Odek made six such visits (three times to Luna, twice to Mars, and once to Ceres). Meanwhile, Earth was politically riven along old lines. The DRI still dominated Europe, east Asia, and the Americas, while the Sovereignists firmly held Congo, the Middle East, and Russia. Labour continued to dominate East and West Africa and India. Though Ceres remained a bastion of IGB support, the utter dominance of Labour in yet another election led to many political scientists warning of the imminent collapse of the Third Party System.

20190630031541_1.jpg

In general, offworld citizens approved of Odek's commitment to economic expansion and state-subsidized colonial development. Unlike the Liberals, who opposed heavy subsidization of the colonial Republics, and the Sovereignists, who were opposed to adding new Member States in general, Labour made offworld job creation their priority. As more immigrants left Earth for these jobs in the colonies, so too did the political influence of the colonies - as well as their loyalty to Labour - increase.

20190630031840_1.jpg

Many elements of the UNE constitution, including several vital clauses concerning fundamental rights, explicitly defined their applicability to "people of Earth", rather than "people of the United Nations of Earth". Although citizenship was never truly in question for people of the colonies, and the courts of the UNE treated the question of constitutionally-defined birthright citizenship as a matter of implicit guarantee, President Odek had made revisions to the constitution central to his re-election campaign. From 2275-2280, the issue of constitutional reform was heavily debated; though the Liberals were supportive of the measure, many Sovereignists believed that handing Odek a "blank check" to rewrite the constitution was dangerous.

20190630172109_1.jpg

The great constitutional reform eventually found the votes needed to pass the General Assembly, once several Earth Member States withdrew their opposition in the face of heavy lobbying from Solar Republic citizens. Most consequential, however, was the addition of a single new clause, added in exchange for the support of Sovereignist Member State delegations on Earth:

"In accordance with Member State constitutional requirements, citizens of the United Nations of Earth may submit to the General Assembly a formal proposal to establish a new Member State, provided that:
  1. The proposed Member State would exercise sovereignty over a geographically contiguous territory on a single world;
  2. The proposed Member State would have a population of at least 250,000 citizens;
  3. At least two-thirds of the population of the proposed Member State's territorial claim vote in favor of the proposed Member State, in a referendum with at least 70% voter participation;
  4. The proposed Member State would exist on a world that is not Earth."
Perhaps no single piece of legislation since Unification has been of greater consequence to the development of the United Nations of Earth than the Offworld Member States Amendment, as it became known. The Solar Republics considered the measure politically cheap (after all, there were no secession movements on any of the worlds, with colonies bound so tightly together by habitats and shielded mag-trains as they were). But for the IGB, the Amendment was a major victory, and a guarantee that the offworld colonies would splinter before they could ever grow to threaten the political primacy of the countries of Earth.

With time, both sides would be proven wrong.

20190630033125_1.jpg

In the midst of the debate over the constitution, President Odek made a noteworthy appointment: Dalia Sekibo, a Europan security officer and the daughter of Nigerian immigrants, was appointed as the first non-Earthborn commander of the United Nations Peacekeepers, the mostly ceremonial united military of the UNE. Though the Peacekeepers had not needed to act as a fighting force in nearly a century, the appointment was nevertheless significant in history. Sekibo would be only the first of a long tradition of military and scientific officers born in the Solar Republics.

breakthrough simulations.PNG

The Research Council remained active during the third Odek term as well. In 2281, orbital scientists developed a uniquely compelling zero-gravity simulator that could acclimate a person to navigation and orientation in a three-dimensional environment with only a few weeks of training. Combined with an existing suite of simulations developed over decades, the universities of the UNE immediately seized the new technology for application in all manner of disciplines, advancing fields from orbital mechanics to architecture.

20190630032223_1.jpg

In 2276, the noted Cerean Sovereignist leader and anti-Fleet activist Khalil Hamdouchi died. That same year, Parliament approved the creation of a monument in his honor.

20190630173628_1.jpg

With the passage of the constitutional amendments and the formal establishment of legal equivalent rights for offworld citizens, President Odek's popularity soared even higher in the Solar Republics. In Mars' largest habitat-city, Mangala, where Odek enjoyed 80%+ approval ratings, a 50-meter statue of the President was erected in 2282. Though Odek made a show of modesty and declined the offer to visit its commemoration in person, the honor disturbed many in the opposition. "Statues," said Shi Guanhong, an influential Chinese Liberal, "are for dictators and the dead."

20190630173718_1.jpg

Ceres faced an emergency in 2282, when improper habitat maintenance led to a disease outbreak and contamination of the six habitats' food and water. Though the Republic's government tried to prevent such rumors, some in the government openly speculated that the contamination had come about alongside the influx of earthborn workers who had constructed the monument to Khalil Hamdouchi. A number of incidents of prejudice against these workers were condemned by all leadership.

20190630175148_1.jpg

The election of 2285 was the closest in UNE history to date. Initial polling saw Odek still riding a wave of popular support, but by November his numbers had eroded in favor of the immensely popular Captain So Su-Mi, the celebrated captain of the UNS Galaxy. Conducting his campaign entirely via delayed transmissions from the Barnard's Star system, Captain So nevertheless managed to win an unprecedented coalition of Liberal loyalists, defectors from the IGB, and anti-Odek Labour members. In the end, he would defeat Musa Odek by just under a million votes.

The legacy of Musa Odek is deeply controversial. While most historians agree that his three terms made him the most significant 23rd century President, his significant expansion of executive power and public battles with a weakening Parliament foreshadowed many of the crises of the next hundred years. Additionally, Odek's willingness to allow the compromise Offworld Member States Amendment to pass would have a drastic effect on the future political trajectory of the UNE - away from single-world states, and towards political balkanization and fractionalism.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who's kept up with this as my update schedule has become less and less regular. :oops: I'm happy people are enjoying the story.

Interesting characterisation of the discovery of new life forms, as well. I think you’re right that it would be a little unsettling, however exciting it may be.

Stellaris' portrayal of alien life makes doing a realism-focused story... difficult. Since I can't change the fact that 90% of in-game science events focus on alien life, I'm instead trying to make the UNE's reaction to these increasingly-concerning revelations as realistic as I can.

President Odek was a very politicalyl aggressive politician pushing though both legalizing robots and human cloning. The approach has apparently paid off for now. Humanity is still just dipping its toes in the interstellar void for now.

Odek's choices will echo through UNE history for a very long time, in ways both good and bad.

President So is going to have an interesting presidency ahead of him -- no less due to the sheer logistical conundrum posed by having a leader who may be significantly behind the curve in the OODA loop due to the distances involved, as well as the question of how to bring him back...

Let's see how President So can live up to expectations beyond the legacy of Odek

Lots of interesting political developments in the last years of the Odek presidency, but what really stands out is the fact that Paradox seem to have included an event suggesting that playing their games makes you a better ruler. :D

The mandate system intrigues me: is that something from the base game or is it from one of your mods?

President So is going to have an interesting presidency ahead of him -- no less due to the sheer logistical conundrum posed by having a leader who may be significantly behind the curve in the OODA loop due to the distances involved, as well as the question of how to bring him back...

Indeed. Not to mention, Captain So is old. Not so old as Odek, of course, but no spring chicken either, and decades in deep space without earthside healthcare can do a number on a man.

Lots of interesting political developments in the last years of the Odek presidency, but what really stands out is the fact that Paradox seem to have included an event suggesting that playing their games makes you a better ruler. :D

The mandate system intrigues me: is that something from the base game or is it from one of your mods?

The grand strategy event is actually from the tech breakthroughs mod, not vanilla. It's by far the most tongue-in-cheek, though I don't mind, ha.

The mandate system is in the vanilla game. Essentially, each leader has particular traits that automatically generate their mandate. Most of the time it's pretty dull stuff, quite frankly (i.e. "build three orbital stations"), but occasionally it coincides in interesting ways with the story.

I just found your AAR and I'm loving it! It's really cool how you can write an engaging story with the pre-FTL not allowing you much alien interaction.
I wonder if we'll ever find out what the theta spacecraft was...

The Solar Republics
The Solar Republics

Mankind's first permanent homes beyond Earth were not in other star systems, but on other bodies orbiting our home star, Sol. Though humans had been capable of reaching Luna as early as the late 1900s, serious colonization of other worlds did not (and could not, some historians maintain) occur until after Unification in the early 23rd century. At first, the only offworld settlements were permanent scientific outposts - in the case of Luna and Mars, as early as the 21st century - but with time, better technology, and the development of more reliable and cost-efficient space travel, settlement booms eventually brought millions of people who meant to make these desolate worlds home.

Life on Desolate Worlds

Science fiction of the 20th and 21st centuries often painted an intensely optimistic picture of interplanetary colonization. Alas, the reality is much harsher.

Humans are creatures evolved for life on Earth. Life on other worlds, without proper technological (and, often, social) adjustment, can and will wreak havoc on body and mind. Almost no element of human existence is exempt from danger of severe disruption by life beyond Earth. A selection - by no means exhaustive - of these problems:
  • Low gravity will degrade and destroy the body over time. Even with constant, grueling exercise multiple times daily, bones and muscles will atrophy into uselessness. In low gravity, human reproduction is unreliable, and pregnancy is outright dangerous for both parent and child. Eyes will swell, sometimes hazardously so, and can result in blindness.
  • Solar radiation, without a strong atmosphere and magnetic field to intercept, will barrage and destroy the body's cells. Over time, this exposure renders the body less capable of fighting disease, and can spur dangerous cell growth (cancers).
  • Chemicals in alien soil can make growing crops all but impossible without prior treatment.
  • In vacuum or near-vacuum environments, the slightest equipment malfunction can expose the human body to the effects of uncontrolled decompression. In the most dire scenarios (exposure beyond 90 seconds), saliva and blood boil, the circulatory system fails, and lungs collapse entirely.
  • Ultraviolet rays received directly from a star will cause extreme sunburn.
  • Variable and non-Earth standard day/night cycles heavily disrupt natural circadian rhythms, causing extreme fatigue and sleep loss.
  • The psychological effects of all of the above, combined with the claustrophobia inherent to long-term confinement in small areas, cause stress and interpersonal tension far above normal rates.
Why, then, would anyone live in such conditions? For citizens of the UNE, the incentives were economic, the solutions technological. By the late 22nd century, several designs for artificial gravity habitats had been developed, preventing the most dangerous effects of off-world living by way of constant spinning. The development of virtual reality technology, though not quite matching popular dreams of Star Trek holodecks, nevertheless became invaluable to space settlement and exploration by giving people a chance to retreat from the confinement of a vessel or habitat into the world of their choice. So ubiquitous was VR by 2200 that even on Earth, it was considered unusual to not own a system. Film and television had long embraced the medium, entirely changing the way people spent their leisure time. Perhaps most notable was the shift towards acceptance of artificial gestation; many parents, unwilling or unable to carry a child, found instead that using an artificial womb was much safer and less disruptive than pregnancy. Since these devices function just as well in offworld environments as on earth, being entirely sealed, they became integral to the development and growth of the early Solar Republics.

Republic of Luna

Republic of Luna.png

For centuries, the moon represented the highest of mankind's immediate horizon. After the United States of America landed humans on the moon six times between 1969 and 1972, no humans returned until 2024, when the United States again landed a crew on the lunar surface. Unlike the first set of moon landings, which had marked the end of the First Space Race, the 2024 landings kicked off a series of high-stakes, high-prestige space endeavors, by the USA, China, the European Union, Russia, and later India.

The compounding crises of the 21st century overtook the Second Space Race by 2050, and though by that date all five main participants had made Lunar landings and the USA and China both maintained permanent outposts, dwindling public support, high costs, and political apathy eventually rendered the moon lifeless once more by the outbreak of the Third World War in 2087.

Over the next century and a half, a few tentative moon missions took place, mostly by the East African Union and India. In 2169 (the two hundredth anniversary of its first landing), the United States made an abortive attempt to reclaim its Armstrong base, but its condition was found to be too degraded for habitation, even with repair.

UNE President Liliane Delmas authorized the Luna Colony in 2229, asserting for the first time the executive's constitutional right to approve the creation of a directly-administered territory. The colony's first "city" and de facto capital was established at the location of the decrepit Armstrong Base, in order to make use of the raw material. Additionally, scientists hoped to use its equatorial location as the site of a space elevator, taking advantage of lower lunar gravity that would make such an endeavor impossible on earth using materials known to mankind in that era.

Luna Colony became the Republic of Luna not because of some massive swell of population, but because of legal necessity. Unlike crew in 21st-century Antarctica, for example, the cost of moving personnel between Luna and Earth routinely was extremely expensive. The goals of the UNE increasingly called for a leg up into the Solar System, and with an exponentially growing number of lucrative work opportunities available on the Moon, "crew" became increasingly replaced by "residents" willing to stay permanently, with their families. These first families required services, entertainment, civil society, and - most importantly - representative government. Thus did the first offworld society come to be.

By the turn of the 24th century, the Republic of Luna had a population of roughly 850,000, spread across a network of twenty-nine bases, and connected by a magnetic rail system to the capital "city" of Armstrong. The space elevator, successfully erected during the 2240s, made Luna a reliably low-cost hub for transportation to and from the rest of the Solar System.

20190702220015_1.jpg

Republic of Mars

Republic of Mars.png

The United States attempted to land humans on Mars in 2032. Unfortunately, a major equipment malfunction nearly caused a tragedy, and the Mars program was grounded for years as a result. China became the first to land humans on Mars, in 2046. During the 21st century, the United States and China alike built small outposts for research, but as with those one the Moon, abandoned them in the years leading to World War III.

India sent a series of major missions to Mars during the period from 2150-2190, establishing a base that would become the core of modern Mangala at Valles Marineris. When Mars Colony was established in 2231, the government of India accepted the accession of its small station into the new polity. Mars, as a result, started with two real cores; Mangala, or "Old Mars", the mostly-Indian habitats of the Valles Marineris, and "Young Mars" the much more multicultural area that would evolve into modern Elysium and Huǒxīng. The cultural divide, in time, would come to dominate Martian politics and society, though not for many decades.

Mars was the most Earthlike of the original Solar Republics, and the dream of a red planet made blue motivated the most aggressive early settler boom of any Solar System colony. Unfortunately, terraforming planets is no small endeavor, and the optimists of the earliest years that had speculated about breathable air within a single lifetime were quickly disappointed. For the first hundred and fifty years of its existence, the Republic of Mars was a republic of habitats, bound together much like those on Luna by maglev trains and shuttlecraft.

There was one exception, however. While large-scale terraforming had indeed proven only tentatively plausible, at the geographically unique Valles Marineris, a smaller-scale operation successfully "tented" the canyon. The project, which contained the entire valley in a superstructure of unprecedented scale, established a breathable atmosphere within. For the first time, the foundations of an Earth-like biosphere were established on another world. While it remained impossible to permanently live outside a gravity-controlled habitat, the "Mangala Project" turned Mars into a true beacon of human ingenuity.

By 2300, Mars was thriving, with a population well over three million and growing rapidly. Unlike the other Solar Republics, however, Mars' size meant that by the turn of the century, several significant cultural and political fissures had developed. In time, these would be the cracks along which the Republic would dissolve into its modern multitude of states.

20190702220039_1.jpg

Republic of Ceres

Republic of Ceres.png

Ceres, the smallest of the Solar Republics, became one rather by accident. Rather than a planned colony, the dwarf planet's haphazard array of mining stations and temporary-turned-permanent settlements gathered residents by accretion over years. Eventually, in 2243, the UNE was forced to acknowledge it as a Member State, lest a political crisis develop between competing earth-based interests over "the Rock".

In many ways, Ceres is the anti-Mars. While Mars' size allowed it to become a frontier world for dozens of groups, Ceres' small size (roughly the size of Argentina) meant that all its settlements were packed tightly together, relatively speaking, especially around the richest mining areas. Where Mars was the beneficiary of concentrated efforts by the UNE to establish and maintain a colony, Ceres has mostly found it necessary to fend for itself.

Cerean culture, for these reasons, prizes toughness, ingenuity, and independence. Instead of individual habitats connected by mag-lev trains, Ceres is essentially one immense habitat, as much under the ground and connected via tunnels as it is on the surface. By 2300, the Cerean government had sponsored small settlements on other small bodies in the Asteroid Belt, though the legal status of such a move at the time was unclear at best.

20190701020540_1.jpg

Republic of Europa

Republic of Europa.png

Europa was colonized only reluctantly, at the request of the scientific community. President Meng Liang initially found the idea of large-scale habitation on such a far-off, inhospitable moon to be a vanity project unworthy of investment. No life had been found by the science outposts set up there during the 2240s, and the surface was uneven, frigid, and icy. Scientists on Europa, however, insisted that the moon could potentially become a hub for research, on account of the world's unique subsurface oceans. Warmed by a geothermically active core, Europa's seas are rich in the microscopic material from which life is speculated to have arisen.

The Europan habitats were constructed half-submerged, cut deep into the ice in order to access the relative warmth of the seas below. Settlement was sporadic, as expected, but the scientific community there and the associated services and staff gave it a population of roughly 270,000 by the turn of the century. In 2300, one main habitat existed, alongside a handful of smaller, entirely submerged habitats.

20190701020602_1.jpg

Republic of Mercury

Republic of Mercury.png

Mercury was settled only late in the Early Colonial Period. Sun-scorched and inhospitable, it only received attention as a target for settlers in the late 23rd century, once the deployment of advanced solar cells revealed the lucrative potential of living and working on the little planet.

The vast majority of Mercurians live in the largest habitat, a sprawling affair that connects underground to the vast solar fields to the east. While most of its 110,000 residents were employed in fields somewhat related to the planet's main industry in 2300, it also had a growing population of tradespeople and service industry employees, eager to make use of Mercury's central location in the system and swift orbital period as a base from which to connect with the rest of Sol.

20190701020634_1.jpg

Last edited:
I made some rather optimistic statements about population in prior posts, which in the course of writing this post I came to realize were decidedly unrealistic. I've edited those, no more wacky wild offworld population explosion.

I'm thinking I'll show a proper map of the UNE worlds every 50 years. Next up will be 2300.

All the flags were made by me, except the flag of Mars, which comes from Pascal Lee, a NASA engineer. It's recognized semi-officially by NASA and the Mars Society.

This is my favorite Stellaris AAR!

I just found your AAR and I'm loving it! It's really cool how you can write an engaging story with the pre-FTL not allowing you much alien interaction.
I wonder if we'll ever find out what the theta spacecraft was...

Thanks very much for your kind words!

A fascinating look at the Solar Republics. They may be small and fairly isolated, but I wouldn't count them out -- a fair number of Earth's powers back in the planet-bound days started out as lesser colonies of another state before they grew up.

I'm especially liking the Luna flag. That crescent moon and the thin swash of blue -- probably meant to be a spacecraft trajectory, but also does nicely as a symbolic thread tying it back to Earth -- really strike me as poignant images, and they certainly stand out as a recognizable insignia.

A fantastic update. Really thoughtfully done, proof of why I continue to count this amongst my favourite AARs.

While the history of space colonisation is, perhaps expectedly, littered with sordid episodes amongst the triumphs, the overall picture of human ingenuity is hard to resist. A nice overview as well of the history of the recent centuries.

And I’ll voice more praise for the flags. Luna and Mercury in particular I find really poignant.

An interesting look at the Solar Republics

A fascinating look at the Solar Republics. They may be small and fairly isolated, but I wouldn't count them out -- a fair number of Earth's powers back in the planet-bound days started out as lesser colonies of another state before they grew up.

I'm especially liking the Luna flag. That crescent moon and the thin swash of blue -- probably meant to be a spacecraft trajectory, but also does nicely as a symbolic thread tying it back to Earth -- really strike me as poignant images, and they certainly stand out as a recognizable insignia.

A fantastic update. Really thoughtfully done, proof of why I continue to count this amongst my favourite AARs.

While the history of space colonisation is, perhaps expectedly, littered with sordid episodes amongst the triumphs, the overall picture of human ingenuity is hard to resist. A nice overview as well of the history of the recent centuries.

And I’ll voice more praise for the flags. Luna and Mercury in particular I find really poignant.

An interesting look at the Solar Republics

Thanks for the nice comments. I wasn't sure how the focus on the early colonies would be received; I'm glad that people have found it interesting.

I'm afraid it may be some time before the next installment. I've had very inconvenient computer issues recently, and while my screenshots and saves are safe (I think), I won't be able to recover either from the hard drive until I either have a new computer or am back in my home country. At minimum, it will likely be a couple of months.

I will continue this as soon as I can, as I really do enjoy writing it. Unfortunately, given present circumstances, it will be a while. Thanks very much to everyone who's followed the Toward Blue Skies story so far.

Oh man, that's not good to hear. So many of my favourite AARs have been beset by computer problems lately. I'll be sad to see this gone for a while.

Best of luck, charger.

That's a shame to see. :(