• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JimboIX said:
A fittingly anticlimatic end to the war after the battle, the peace seems an afterthought. What were the terms, white peace? I'm just hoping this doesn't happen again down the line.

Was just geting to that part ;)

March 19th, 1877
The H.M.S. Victoria

A large room was reserved on the ship for the peace talks, which had been going on for the past three week now, but little progress was being made. In the center of the room was a large table where delegates from each side sat to discuss terms; several other seats were placed around it for many ‘nobles’ who paid to watch the talks while others just stood around the table.

President Judah Benjamin sat beside Thomas Jackson on one end while President Alexander Hannibal, president of the United States, sat at the other with General John Pope, the commander of the Army of Maryland.

“Congratulation on your campaign Stonewall, it may have just won us this war for us…though I am disappointed that you allowed Hood to…”

“With all do respect Mr. President, Hood acted on his own in the atrocities in Atlantic City, and being in New York at the time I wasn’t able to do anything about it. Despite his brutal tactics sir, we still need someone like him as long as the war continues.” Jackson interrupted, speaking at almost a whisper.

“I know Jackson, I know, I will deal with him after this ordeal is over..” he stopped as the British General Gordon walked in, representing the British government.

“Gentlemen, we’re now ready to start the talks.” He said, taking his seat and getting down to business. The talks lasted for the next couple of hours, arguments for the Confed-UK alliance was that enough blood shead was enough and it was pointless to go on while General Pope was being the stubborn negotiator, believing that the United States could still over come the invaders.

“I object to any notion of peace and I suggest you do to Mr. President.” Pope said, looking over to Hannibal.

“You may have one several quick victories, but taking report from out west and battles such as Philadelphia and New York…”

“Which you lost.” Stonewall cut him off, speaking In a sharp tone.

“In each of those case’s your armies have been defeated, least I remind you, General Pope, of your failed assault after assault at my lines in Philadelphia.

“If it weren't for those damn British you would be twelve feet under now Jackson and I would be putting Richmond to flame!” Pope shouted, slamming his hand down on desk, making it shake.

“I would suggest you keep your attack dog on a tighter leash President Hannibal, these are peace negotiations and I won’t have this aboard my ship.” Gordan said in a cool tone, staring down Pope back into his chair.

“Now, looking at reports, if you wish to go the statistical way, every battle you have attempted to break through Confederate Lines has failed with massive casualties, your early attempts at breaking through the Stonewall Line were failures as well, correct?” Gordan continued, but nothing was said from Pope.

“It has also come to my attention that due to neglect to your navy, you have suffered several defeats on the sea, while experiencing the inadequacy of your navy first hand, this leads me to believe that any hopes of a counter invasion into the Confederacy would lead to failure.”

“Gentlemen, it would be in all of our interests to come to an agreement, let us agree to end this war now before anymore life is lost. Now London and Richmond have agreed to this Finlay offer, a White Peace to avoid anymore future problems or confrontations…do we have an agreement?”

Before General Pope could again spark up another argument Alexander placed his hand on his shoulder and forced him down in his chair. Slowly nodding he spoke in a solom voice, “We accept.”

Status quo antebellum, good, just what the south needs. Pope won't forgive though- you'd better keep Britain close.

~ When One problem is solved, ten more take its place ~

Officially the war ended on March 20th, 1877, but another war would take its place. By the end of the war the Confederacy was once again in debt, Forty Five some odd Thousand dollars in debt from the rapid increase of the railroad industry and because of the basic necessities of the war.

Debt was not the only thing that was problematic, in fact it was the least of the nations worries. The main condition of British intervention was the abolishment of slavery, and realizing that the nation could not win the war with its present military force, was forced to accept. The emancipation of the slaves had mixed results, in one case it meant some degree of freedom for the Negro population, and on the other hand it meant an attack on southern way of life.

Several revolts had popped up during the war because of the sudden emancipation, but were swiftly delt with. This is also saw the first time federal forces were used to force state legislators to agree to support the case, marking one of the darkest days in Confederate government, but it was all for the greater good as history will show.

The old system of slavery would be replaced with another type of slavery, sharecropping, which would require the plantation owners to pay there workers a salary in which they can live on. Even though they would be free, there rights would be extremely limited and almost none existent. Not being able to own land they were forced to rent house’s or shacks on plantations and be forced back into a virtual state of slavery again.

Many of the white aristocrats apposed this, most famously the Mobile riots where several disgruntle aristocrats attempted to over throw the state government. The riot indeed in the arrest and imprisonment of the leaders and several skirmish’s with the group before regaining control.

In another, more influential protest to the new ruling a new political party was formed, known as the Ku Klux Klan, or more famously, the KKK.

politicalpartiesjm8.png

The Klan, as it also soon came to be called, was severely limited by both Whig and Democrat’s who saw them as a threat to southern stability. Many of the revolts were lead by Klan political leaders, giving both parties ammo to persecute and keep the parties membership low enough to make them a non threat to the political stage, but on the national level they were proving to be quite the instigators.

Soon after, in order to please the rowdy populace, a series of acts were passed which would be known as the “Jim Crow Acts” to further limit the amount of control the blacks could get in the nation, even though the it was already low enough.

~ On the Personal Level ~

The Confederacy continued to struggle to regain some stability, causing massive amounts of stress on President Benjamin who fought Congress and the Senate to ease up the restrictions on the black populace, arguing that they could possibly be needed in the future as unlikely, but potential voters. Even the notion of giving them the right to vote was snubbed and every attempt to aid the Blackman plight was shot down.

Besides that it would take careful political and financial maneuvering to get the nation back on track, a problem that put the President in the hospital for a while, suffering from high levels of stress that took a toll on him mentally and physically.

Meanwhile things continued to escalate between the personal rivalry of Thomas Jackson and John Pope. Both men long time rivals, especially since the 2nd War of Northern Aggression, had struck up old hatreds and a feud between the two extended on over into the peacetime, and especially into politics.

Lord Telcius said:
Looking good man, keep it up. Also, mabye let the Commies become a major player:)

heh, its happend before in an old game. It allowed me to industrialize out the butt before the Whiggs took over, but that was when they dominated politics for the entire game save for the year the commies came into power :wacko:

Nasty debt, but otherwise looking good. :)

I have to say I'm very tempted to try a Vicky CSA AAR myself. You've inspired me to give it a look.

RossN said:
Nasty debt, but otherwise looking good. :)

I have to say I'm very tempted to try a Vicky CSA AAR myself. You've inspired me to give it a look.

Well that make me feel honored there RossN, after all it was your AAR that made me want to try a CSA AAR in HOI2 the first go around :)

Good updates here... the US doesn't seem too inclined to really leave the CS alone so the British alliance is something that should be maintained at almost all costs.

An uneasy peace to be sure, I wonder how the confederate state will pay down its debt! What a burden!

~ The Hood Trial ~
June 14th, 1877

johnbellmh1.jpg

Aside from the problems that followed the emancipation of slaves there were still those left over from the war, mainly the trial of John Bell Hood for his actions in Atlantic City The trial would not be public and would be held in Richmond, before a two day military tribunal which would decide on his punishment…

*​

Hood sat at a small desk in front of the military tribunal, awaiting for the trial to begin. Unlike most trial’s this one would not be public, but a closed preceding witnessed only by a small number of people, most of them military commanders and legislates. The Tribunal consisted of several judges from the Confederacy and the Union, it being a trial for war crimes needed a diverse, non biased jury.

A loud clap a small hammer rang out as the head judge began to speak. “Order..alright, lets get down to business. John Bell Hood versus the United States on the subject of war crimes agent the civilian population of..” he looked down at a piece of paper for a moment. “Atlantic City, is now in session. The prosecution may start.”

Siting at the table to the right of him was several U.S. lawmen and General John Pope. “Thank you.” He said politely, standing up before the Tribunal.

“The prosecution will prove that this man, General John Bell Hood, ordered the atrocities that befell the people of Atlantic City during the attack on the city by the Army of Georgia. I would like to call to the stand, a Mr. Nathan Robbertson, a citizen of Atlantic City who came all this way to testify agent Mr. Hood here.”

A clerk opened the door and a short, elder man slowly walked into the room and was sworn in on the stand.

“Mr. Robbertson, you are a resident in the northern sector of the town, correct?”

“Yes sir.” He replied, leaning up from his chair.

“And that part of the city was first attack, coming under heavy bombardment from Confederate Artillery.” He paused, turning to look directly at Hood.

“Please, Mr. Robberston, tell the Tribunal what the soldiers did upon entering the city?”

The elderly man leaned up once again, clearing his voice before speaking. “They, began breaking into peoples houses, all over the area and rounded many of us up. Several began…looting the area, and rounding us up into prisoner groups before placing us in the local jails. After that they, burned down many of our houses, and…I don’t remember much else besides the prison wall.” He replied.

”Thank you Mr. Robberston for your time.”

Standing up for Hood was none other than Stonewall Jackson himself, who immediately sprung into action.

“Mr. Robbertson, is it not true, that upon retreating from battle, that the soldiers guarding Atlantic City took up inside many civilian buildings and fired from onto the Confederate soldiers entering the city?”

“Yes but..”

“And is it not true, that many of the citizens, understandably, helped the soldiers, donning them in civilian clothing to help make it harder for Hoods soldiers to find them?”

“I..suppose..”

“Then does it not make sense to you that they would attempt to get you out of harms way? By locking you up did it not get you and your people out of the way of the fighting?”

“Well, I do believe that makes sense, but why burn down our house’s?”

turning to the Tribunal Jackson proceeded to speak directly to them. “Sirs, that was war, the civilian populace was hiding soldiers that were using civilian disguises to carry out an insurgency, the burning of the buildings and homes is easily justified by trying to smoke there attackers out. Besides, there is no proof, no documents, no anything showing proof that General Hood ordered any of these atrocities.”

“Then why General Jackson, why did they happen? A General should have control over his men at all times, after all, there conduct reflects there generals teachings…”

“John Pope, stick to the case at hand, this is no place for starting a fight. You may now continue to proceed General Jackson.”

The court dragged on for the next couple of days, both sides making there arguments clear, Pope fighting especially hard to put away arguably one of the Confederacies best Generals. Jackson returned fire by throwing everything he had at them, arguing that it wasn't’t Hoods orders to comity such war crimes, but still did nothing to stop them or was unaware of many of the crimes going on.

The vertict after I get off work :)

Last edited:
I think Hood is out of luck.

JimboIX said:
I think Hood is out of luck.

You may be right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him worm his way out. Although the CSA may want him to take the blame, to keep the world's eyes away from his superiors.

June 16, 1877

The room was deafly quit as the Tribunal was making their, Hood sat at the defense desk, staring down at the oak table tracing the lines with his eyes.

“We have a good chance of getting some kind of deal John, it wouldn’t take them this long to decide if they were just going to Court Marshal you.” Jackson said gently under his breath.

“Though with Pope on the prosecution I don’t see this going over easy.” Hood finally spoke up, but just in a whisper so Jackson could hear. Glancing over to prosecution table he could see Pope, who seemed rather confident about himself. A devious smile came to his face when he noticed the tension between the two tables, glancing back at Hood.

The large, heavy intricate wooden door that lead to the Tribunals chambers slowly opened as one of the court clerks held the door for the Tribunal to make their way to the bench. Both the defense and the Prosecution stood while they filtered through numerous papers before standing also standing.

“First of all, we would like to thank the witness’s, the Prosecution and defense for their time spent on this trial.” One of the judges said, nodding to them.

“General John Bell Hood, we of the Tribunal find you guilty of war crimes against the civilian populace of Atlantic City…” A sudden burst of cheers came from the prosecutions side, Popes grin getting larger and larger by the minute.

“Order! Order!” one Judge shouted, slaming the small hammer down on the table.

“But, given the evidence provided by the defense and the good blessings by former president Breckenridge, we have decided to remand you to a minimum of ten years of jail time and you are to be striped of your military rank. During your time in prison you may be opted out to preform hard labor or various other labor for the government, military or the great state of Virginia.” The loud ringing of the hammer rang out again and again.

“This court is adjourned.”

“Just wait one minute your honors!” Pope, predictably, objected, standing up from his chair, making it slide back.

“This man is the cause of hundreds of death’s! I demand to see him hung for what he did!”

“General Pope, the court has already made its ruling, calm down and return to your home or this Tribunal will find you in contempt.”

Glaring at the Tribunal Pope stormed out of the Court room, stopping first to confront Hood and Jackson. Tightening his fists he spat on the floor before them. “Don’t think this is over Jackson…not for a minute.”

“General Pope, if you would like to settle this we can do so now” Jacksons hand gently fell to his side as he taped on his revolver.

Looking down at Jacksons hand Pope smiled once again. “It would be my pleasure “Stonewall”…” the words came out bitter and full of hate, it would seem the feud between Pope and Jackson would be coming to a violent end soon enough.

As Pope walked away Hood turned to Jackson and slowly shook his head. “Don’t do it, let it go..”

“John, if god will’s that I should die, I will, the way I go matter’s not, for my life..and yours…is always, and forever in his hands…”

Pity that Hood had to take the blame and war is hell and war is war. Look at Sherman, he burned down cities and killed many civilians, yet was priased as a hero. Oh well, total war can be justified it just depends on the situation.

A duel? I dont imagine this going over well for either side.

Not a good bit of tension.

~ One shot is all you need ~

Thomas Jackson left his residence in Richmond, much to the displeasure and protest of his wife and daughter, to meet John Pope in a small, secluded field outside the city limits where he intended to kill the man in a duel. After a moment of prayer he set out to do what he had wanted to do since the War of Succession and the War of Northern Aggression, as much as he felt horrible inside about wanting the man dead, it was an urge that he deemed a necessity to fulfill.

It was a beautiful day out, which was the reason he decided to walk instead of taking a taxi carriage. The birds chirped, the sun beat down upon and a cool, comfortable breeze proceeded to blow in his direction.

The uneventful walk gave him plenty of time to think about what he was going to do, about what he planned to do and about what was going to happen if, by chance, he was killed. Shaking off his worries he believed that god, in all his wisdom, would have the day already planned out, and there was nothing he could do to change it, he still had faith that god would see him through.

As he approached the small meadow where they agreed upon he noticed a small congregation of people waiting, a congregation that grew as he more and more of the field came into view.

“What is this then?” he said, confused on just how word got out to this many people. Scanning the area there had to be at least a hundred people, it struck Jackson as odd to see so many, after all the conversation had only been between Pope, Hood and himself.

The crowd slowly began to part as Jackson walked forward, revealing Pope surrounded by several young women who gawked at him as he told stories of his bravery and deeds on the battlefield. All the puzzle pieces began to fall into place as he waited for the blow heart to finish his tales and realize who was standing behind him.

Slowly turning the smile on Pope’s face evaporated, looking down and then back up he cleared his voice. “I was beginning to think you would’t show up.”

“I was beginning to think you were going to tell these people you killed me already whilst I stood here.” He replied sharply.

“Excuse me gentlemen, if you do not mind I would be honored to moderate this duel.” An elderly man said, walking up to the gentlemen.

“Your revolvers please..” he asked, the two generals handing him there side arms. Opening up the bullet chamber the elderly man emptied them and placed a single bullet in at the ready and closed the chamber. Smiling the man handed each man there revolvers back and began to clear the area.

“Alright now, step back, step back, make some room here.” He said, shewing away many spectators so as to make a long, wide stripe for the duelers. The crowed fell silent as the two men stared at each other, Jacksons eye’s beginning to light up like they used to during the war. Both men in their military attire, prepared to die as best dressed as they possibly could.

“Okay, were all set up now. Gentlemen, take twelve paces, facing opposite of each and then turn and fire. You have one shot, one shot is all you need. Good luck, and may god deliver the looser.”

Taking his gun and griping it tight he waited for Pope to turn before turning himself. He counted to himself, one, two, three, as he walked, the crowed still silent. It would seem that everything stopped for those twelve paces, the wind, the birds chirping, everything went silent. ten, eleven, twelve…

Twisting around he took aim and fired, the shot ringing out as it cut through the air, speeding toward's the opposite end of the field. It would happen quick, never even seeing the bullet or hearing the other gun fire.

Feeling a sudden pain in his left shoulder, like something had rammed into him, he jerked back, glancing over see to the entry wound as he lost balanced and fell, hitting the ground with a ‘thud’.

Pope would be hit with a similar feeling, only in a different spot. The bullet would enter Popes right side, between his ribcage and pelvis, sending him plummeting to the ground in agony. Almost immediately doctors sprang from the crowed, rushing to each man’s side.

“Someone get them into a carriage, we need to get to a hospital!” the cries were heard as the doctors patched each man up as best they could, dressing the wound’s for travel.

~ George Davis ~
1879 - 1885
gdavisbt2.jpg

The election of 1879 would turn out like the past elections. The Democratic party, using its strong power base in with the lower class’s and position since the nations birth was easily able to over come the Whig’s, who were the only party with the ability to really compete. George Davis swep the nation with his new plans to get the nation out of debt and to smooth over relations with the United States.

At the beginning of his presidency the national debt was around twenty thousand, half of what it was during the war, amazingly during the past three years the financial genius of Judah Benjimin had chiped away half of what was once a great burden on the nation. Despite his efforts, the nation was still very much in debt, and it was Davis’ mission to bring his country out of it and into a new era of prosperity.

Aside for the large debt the nation was in, Davis was in a good position to do some good in the country. Much of the tension between the United States and the Confederacy was easing, as were the harsh feeling brought on by the sudden emancipation of the slaves, and in fact, the Confederacy was right for economical expansion.

On Febuary 8th, 1879 President Davis issued his state-implemented industry plan, which would authorize the immediate construction of several new factories and would remove many restrictions on large, and small, industrial companies that come with the states having such a free hand in the government.

The plan was passed almost unanomously, as it was Congress’ desire to step up industrialization as much as possible given their over aggressive and industrial supperior just acrossed the border. The bill would have an unprecieved effect on the nation as companies all over the deep south and border states began a rapid expansion of their current factories as well as comissioning the construction of many more.

A boom economic prosperity sweapt the nation as unemployment rates came to an alltime low and for the first time in the nations history, tax’s on each citizen class’s were cut in half, some even furthur, bringing about an unpresidented support of government since the Wr of Succession.

Meanwhile a new interest in exploration and the expansion of the Confederate military came to the fore front of Congress and the public with the now excess amount of money the nation was receiving from what many would call ‘The Golden Age’. The commison of four new Iron Clads was authorized by the federal government and expansion on the number of soldiers the country could call upon during war was likewise increased.

Besides the rapid growth of the nations factories, new techonology allowed for a whole new field of railroad expansion. The nations old railroads were slowly being replaced by new, steel railroads, starting in Virginia and expanding southward, and then westward.

*​

Along with this new golden era of economic expansion came a new era of diplomatic prosperity as well. In 1872 the Confederacy invited diplomats from the United Kingdom, France, and Germany to visit the capital as guests during the Richmond Talks, which would open up a whole new relationship between the powers of Europe and the Confederacy.

Relations between the South, France and Britan reached an all time high as they became close trade partners and unspoken allies. This relation would entangle the Confederacy in European affairs, which they had intended to stay out of, but the excessive need for aid from Europe to keep the United States at bay, at least until relations smoothed over, would require them to stick close to thouse in power across the sea.

Meanwhile, acrossed the Pacific, the Japanese were becoming an industrial powerhouse, leading to a competition of sorts between the C.S. and the asian nation. For years now, since the end of the War of Succession, the Confederacy had maintained itself as a nation not to be ignored, holding considerable economical position above the Russians and for a time been in close competition with the French, who eventualy with their colonial assets, pulled just above the C.S.A.

Regardless, on the national stage, the Confederacy had always been ranked as the fifth most powerful nation in the world, right behind France, the United States, the UK and Germany, and as previously stated, at times stolen the fifth place and held it from France. As the European powerhouse’s finaly became to much to keep up with, the main problem being southoners unwillingness to throw support behind the government for industrialization, and the C.S.A. was finaly droped down to sixth place and held its ground their.

The Japanese soon emerged onto the national stage from an uncivilized nation to a great power and industrial monster, easily taking the Russian’s place, knocking them back to eighth place. Soon enough they came into competition with the Confederacy who refused to give up its spot. This competition was lead on by President Davis who sought to use the nations new found wealth and prosperity to turn the Confederacy into a perminate power, one that would not be pushed around.

An industry race soon came into being, with the Japanese always ahead, but not without the threat of being put back by the Confederacy. For the next few years the race would be held almost neck in neck until the Japanese finaly stole the number seven spot, putting the Confederacy in direct competition with the Russians, who quite frankly, were not anything to worry about.

The nations prosperity began to show in her military, which soon added four brand new Iron Clads to create a powerful Pacific Fleet, consiting of four Iron Clads, a Carribian fleet also consisting of four Iron Clads and the Atlantic Fleet consitsting of five Iron Clads, several smaller brigades of ships were also attached acrossed the naval fleets.

(Note:I added three iron clads to the exsisting Pacific Fleet and one to the Carribian Fleet to get the numbers mentioned above)

Last edited: