• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey everyone! Hope you are all enjoying the AAR so far. If anyone has any suggestions for how they want things to progress (i.e: less character driven, more/less screenshots, something you want to see me try in the game, or really anything), just let me know. I'm thinking about adding chapter links so you guys don't have to scroll down every time (since the AAR's starting to get longer... hurray), but not sure how. Anyone reading got any idea how to do that?

Hi there. Really enjoing our AAR, continue the good work.

On the bottom left of your posts there is like a number (example your Chapter 5: The Prince has #19) by pressing the number you will get a permalink to the post, which you can then Link in editing

I like your AAR, it's a balanced mix between storytelling and a few screenshots. I'm happy with your current set-up and I personally wouldn't change it.

And as @Madines said, the #23 like my post offers you the link which you can than integrate in your post above which is called "Link".

Hi there. Really enjoing our AAR, continue the good work.

On the bottom left of your posts there is like a number (example your Chapter 5: The Prince has #19) by pressing the number you will get a permalink to the post, which you can then Link in editing

I like your AAR, it's a balanced mix between storytelling and a few screenshots. I'm happy with your current set-up and I personally wouldn't change it.

And as @Madines said, the #23 like my post offers you the link which you can than integrate in your post above which is called "Link".

I just binge read your stuff and I agree with Tom D.

Thanks for the feedback you three, and thanks Tom and Madines for the help. I have chapter links in the first post now

Chapter 6: Decline of the Mwenemutapa

1500-1508

King Chunzo took one last glance out the window, though his son had doubtless already left the city by then and could not be seen. A soft breeze brushed through the room, and a letter on the desk fluttered slightly. The King’s eyes glanced away from the window and towards the letter; in that note was the reason that he had sent his son away. The note informed the King that the Sultan of Kilwa, Sultan Suleiman al-Mawahib (3/4/6) had passed away in battle. While King Chunzo should have been delighted that the militaristic and capable rival had passed, he was concerned because of who was named the successor: Sultan ‘Ali VI Mwenemutapa (5/3/2). The Mwenemutapa ruled both Butua to the south and the Kilwa Sultanate. More worryingly, Tumbuka’s vassal, the Mutapa, was also ruled by a Mwenemutapa. While the new sultan of Kilwa was still young, only 16 years of age, the King worried that with time the Sultan might seek to support the independence of his kinsman in Mutapa. With Prince Bwati and a retinue of bodyguards sent to watch over and ensure the loyalty of the Prince of the Mutapa, King Chunzo decided that his next step should be to take the initiative and crush the new Sultan before he could make a move. He bullies and coerces the Tumbuka council into accepting his proposal and begins mobilizing the military.

wJ22Fkx.jpg

The nobles are upset with the growing dominance of the King within the council. King Chunzo is presented with a series of demands to limit his new powers, which he rejects. The King follows up by imprisoning the protesting nobles and filling the council with Makambala clergymen and others loyal to him.

In mid-February of 1500, Tumbuka declares war on Butua, which causes the Kilwa Sultanate to be drawn into the war without her other allies. At the head of the Tumbukan forces is a capable general named Chicanda Nyanjagha (1/4/1/0), who is able to completely encircle and annihilate the Butuan army in the first battle.

GoMAJ7P.jpg

That the Mutapan armies are advancing up the coast and seiging Mozambique seems to indicate that Prince Bwati is effective in preventing Prince Matope Mwenemutapa in line. Kilwa is beginning to siege Sena and has a respectable force in our allies’ borders, but with a significantly less capable general and few cavalry on their side (1/0/3/1), it seems favourable to attack them. The enemy general also has some skill with siege warfare and brought in a large cannon which was devastating the defenders at Sena. We could not allow them to continue and attacked.

FG4uULc.jpg

While we win, the battle was much more costly than anticipated, which slows our advance. Perhaps we should start looking into procuring cannons of our own. It is unfortunate that we fail to seize the cannon in the battle (Note: Tumbuka is still Mil Tech 6, on par with neighbors, while Kilwa is ahead at Tech 7)

As in the previous war with the Kilwa Sultanate, the numerous coastal jungle forts erode our manpower and we face numerous counter attacks from mercenary bands. Fortunately, the Mutapan general is a masterful commander when it comes to siege, and helps us to overcome the jungle forts within a year and a half. In April of 1502, King Chunzo meets with the Mwenemutapa leaders and forces them to to sign a treaty which will forever cripple their dynasty.

eRxJo56.jpg

King Chunzo demands that the Kingdom of Butua is integrated into the Mutapan domain and all the wealth of the Mambo (the ruler of Butua) is surrendered in this treaty. This wealth will do nicely in paying back the loans we had to take to fund the war. Additionally, King Chunzo forces the Kilwa Sultanate to cede the provinces of Angoche, Lindi, Ibo and Mozambique to Tumbuka.

King Chunzo delegates control of the new territories to clergy members of the council to oversee conversion and integration of these regions. By 1508, Mozambique, Angoche and Ibo have all been turned into a centralized state, and are all under clergy control. Clergy land holdings in Tumbuka at this point have surpassed 40% of the national total; the nobility surely resent this matter, but have little influence in the court at this point.

On occasion, King Chunzo travels to Zimbabwe in the southern part of the realm to visit his son and the Prince of the Mutapa. On one such occasion, in 1504, when the King and Prince Bwati are alone, Bwati tells his father to be careful. ‘I know you are more diplomatic and experienced in the ways of court than me’, Bwati begins, ‘but be careful that you do not give one faction too much power. Appreciation for being given power does not last, and when it wears, you may find yourself surrounded by snakes.’ King Chunzo understood his son’s concern, but replied, ‘do not worry, my son. I do not believe in the benevolence of those around me. I am using them as surely as they use me; when I have no more use for them, I will reduce their power, but for now, their ability to appease the masses and their skills for administration are invaluable in the eastern regions.’

yD71ZUZ.jpg

Council meeting of Tete, 1508

In 1508, a council meeting is convened in the city of Tete to finalize the integration of the Princedom of Mutapa. Amazingly, the old Prince of Mutapa still lives and is present, but it is doubtful he has enough mind remaining to understand that his land is being parceled off in pieces to those present. Land is reorganized, and estates are allocated land. When all is said and done, the clergy finds that while they have been allocated large tracts of land as they expected, the population and development of these holdings are pitiful in comparison to what the nobility and the state will be taking control of.

While the court of Tumbuka was changing, and it was uncertain how the clergy would react to their declining power, one thing was certain: the time of the Mwenemutapa was at an end.

Last edited:
Well, with that victory we have the making of an East African Empire just around the corner I think! :cool:

Good AAR, Ethiopia is the only African nation I've played and that was in EUIII so it's nice to see another place from time to time.
One question, what setting do you have for lucky nations? If you have random or none, can you show a picture of the rest of the world? If you can see anything yet :D

Well, with that victory we have the making of an East African Empire just around the corner I think! :cool:

Hopefully you are right volksmarschall. I'm just waiting for the Europeans to come knocking pretty quick now, so we'll see how things go.

Nice chapter, your new title for your AAR is also well chosen. Good job!

Thanks Tom D :)

Good AAR, Ethiopia is the only African nation I've played and that was in EUIII so it's nice to see another place from time to time.
One question, what setting do you have for lucky nations? If you have random or none, can you show a picture of the rest of the world? If you can see anything yet :D

I have standard lucky setting on, so i'm a bit worried that Spain, Portugal or England will come in hard hitting soon :(
If you look at the second last screenshot in the previous chapter... that's all I can see! Central African map knowledge is quite horrible. I am looking forward to seeing the world at large and will post screenshots once stuff is visible.

Yea there is a novelty to African kingdoms that I enjoy.

That's actually what got me interested in trying out this area! Feels nice trying a country nobody already has a wiki page on optimal gameplay about :p

I got a new chapter post coming out in a few hours, so everyone hold on a bit longer :D

Chapter 7: In the Shadow of Giants

1508-1519

After 1508, Tumbuka was the dominant regional power. King Chunzo took a look at the nation’s expenditures and income and noted that trade accounted for roughly a third of the country’s revenues and was higher than taxes, production or gold. The King was pleased to hear that the Kingdom was ‘trading in ivory’. In addition, the King noted that Swahili was becoming an increasingly important cultural group within the nation as more and more Kilwa provinces were being integrated after the last war. The Swahili people had a long heritage of maritime trade, and with the conquest of multiple coastal regions, the idea of investing in a national navy and mercantile fleet seemed increasingly beneficial.

King Chunzo spent the next few years establishing a naval school and encouraging the construction of markets along coastal regions. Unfortunatly, King Chunzo faced heavy resistance from the clergy within his council. The clergy diverted national funds into religious tradition and ideas and did not see the point of a navy; they used their influence behind the scenes to ensure that when the coastal regions were allocated to the estates, they received them instead of the merchant guildes. ‘But my lord’, they would say after the fact, ‘the Swahili people need religious guidance and the towns need capable administrators. Townsmen may be a bit more capable at running their market stalls, but that is not what is best for Tumbuka.’ King Chunzo, had he been younger, would have certainly have been able to deal with court politics with ease. But, it was becoming increasingly apparent that the King was not the same man he once was.

In 1511, King Chunzo visited the national dockyard at Quelimane to see the progress of the construction of the national fleet. Docked in the harbor was a single trade ship. ‘Where is the rest of the fleet?’, asked the King. ‘My King, I am afraid that this is the entire fleet’, replied the mayor of Quelimane. ‘There are no sailors… only about one or two arrive each month.’ The King was in shock; Tumbuka controlled half a dozen ports all along the east african coast, and yet could only muster one sailor a month? The King turned, his hopes crushed. He ordered the ship skuppered the next week. It would likely be many years before a proper Tumbuka navy ever came about, in particular considering what transpired next.

'There was no great conspiracy or circumstance surrounding his death. He was passionate and driven, and angered so many people during his rule that it came as a shock that there was no clandestine dagger or poisoned cup that killed him but rather simple old age. One day he seemed so full of energy and then, only a few days later, he simply did not wake up. I was left alone to carry on his legacy.'

- Prince Bwati at his father's bedside at the al-Mawahib residence in Tumbuka, 1512

DF12STe.jpg

‘The coronation was grand and elaborate. There were priests swinging incense and singing praises to my inevitable future triumphs. Many were present, but I did not see them. My mind was rather on my father. My father united a nation, inspired everyone with his grand speeches and had such charisma that he could draw you in with a single glance. I could not match that; I could not be that man. I was shy, timid. When I was younger, father praised my talents and assured me I would be a good King; sitting here, in front of the nation and unsure what the future held, I doubted those words.’

Coronation of King Bwati al-Mawahib (3/4/4) (aged 37, no heir)

(Cautious, Timid, Reserved)

King Bwati is a fairly capable ruler, and builds on a number of the policies of his father. His early reign see the completion of religious ideas and a small decline in the relative power of the clergy. Bwati is a lot less outspoken than the previous ruler, and prefers to coordinate with and seek compromise among his council. Behind closed doors, some criticize the shy and uninspiring nature of the King. By 1516, there are concerns as to the King having no heir. Following a suggestion from some of the nobles in the council, King Bwati arranges a marriage with a princess of the Kazembe, who are a steadfast ally of Tumbuka. Shortly after, a son is born.

aUslGm8.jpg

At the next council meeting, several nobles suggest the idea of launching an invasion against the feeble Kilwa Sultanate. One of the nobles asserts that, ‘our army is at least 16,000 strong and could crush their 10,000 man force without much trouble’. Also present was an engineer, who announced that the first Tumbuka cannon was ready for combat and could be used. King Bwati decided to go along with the desire of the nobles since it was unlikely that things could go wrong against so small an enemy.

y6uaXd7.jpg

By the end of 1516, the Tumbuka army has massed on the border at Lindi. The Kilwa Sultanate recruits some mercenaries, but most of their manpower is depleted from an earlier skirmish with the Malindi Sultanate to the North. The first battle goes rather well, but we are surprised to find that the Kilwa Sultanate had signed an alliance with Ajuuran, their past rivals, only a month before the war was declared, and our half depleted army is hit again at Kilwa.

WnrIiNE.jpg

Ajuuran strikes hard and has a military technology advantage. Note the difference in military tactics.

It is unfortunate, but what seemed like what would have been a one year skirmish had turned into a a half decade long and drawn out conflict. To make matters worse, by 1518 the Ajuuran and Kilwa forces stop engaging our mercenary buoyed army and trek across the wild lands so that they can bypass our coastal forts and go straight for our capital. We are fortunate that Kilwa has only basic capital defenses, and we succeed in capturing the city and forcing a surrender before our enemy does the same.

DFn9l0N.jpg

1519: King Bwati demands the surrender of most of the remaining Kilwa territories: Kilwa, Mzizima, Bagamayo, Tanga and Mombasa. Additionally, the King requires the Sultanate to revoke their claims on several of the Southern provinces. The King notes that a future invasion of the Kilwa will require a navy to reach the island of zanzibar, where Kilwa continues to be a thorn in our side and siphon off much of the region's trade.

King Bwati considers how horribly the war went. While the nation had managed to grab a number of concessions from the Kilwa Sultanate, the war was costly for Tumbuka; had the war dragged on a few months more Tumbuka's capital would have fallen and the nation's elite would have been in danger. While it seemed that the previous kings were exceptional war leaders and had brought the Kingdom to greatness through the peace table, there had to be another way to be great leader. The King sat down and pondered how he could strengthen Tumbuka without need for risky conquests.

Last edited:
Chapter 8: An East African Expedition

1520-1544

As the latest war with the Kilwa Sultanate came to a close, King Bwati al-Muwahib took actions to begin pushing the national council towards changing the national focus. The nation had long prioratized administrative developments and a strong priest class administration. Because of that, Tumbuka was a stable nation which was able to deal with the large Sunni minorities effectively and had a motivated populace. King Bwati aknowleged the advantages that an administrative focus had given Tumbuka, but decided to press for a diplomatic focus going forward.

Despite having a master of mint and controlling national inflation at a little over 2%, Tumbuka experienced a minor currency crisis in 1520.

7tJnmEO.jpg

Tumbuka began stockpiling funds and diplomatic resources over the next few years. In 1523, the court received an envoy from the Sultanate of Warsangli from the far north, who was seeking an audience with the desire to gain a defensive alliance.

95TmOlf.jpg

Most council members had never even heard of the nation of Warsangli. It certainly wasn’t relevant enough to be found on the national maps. With little knowledge of the capabilities of the nation of Warsangli and whether they would be of any use to us, it would have been a risky and unwise decision to accept this alliance. We politely decline the offer.

Unrest had gradually been growing among the recently conquered provinces in the northern part of our empire, and in 1524 a revolt erupts at Tanga. Fortunatly we are able to put down the rebellion without too many losses.

6K6r1Vr.jpg

rT5Bfkk.jpg

By 1525, national preparations and stockpiling that had been ongoing since 1520 were complete, and the nation begins sending forward diplomatic and trade missions to neighboring tribes and clans on the northern borders. Diplomatic marriages, alliances and military intervention were all used as tools to begin increasing influence among the minor tribes so as to gain gradual control of these regions. Efforts are directed the provinces of Hehe and Zigua. While initally expansion efforts are effective, the King is informed that some strange disease called ‘roman fever’ had spread among the small Tumbuka border settlements. In april of 1528, one man collapsed at court; he had just returned from the region of Hehe as an emissary and rumour spread that he was infected with the strange disease. There were growing worries in the capital that the disease had infected the capital, and some nobles took their leave and left court to stay at their countryside estates King Bwati issued a declaration that for the coming years travel to Hehe would be restricted and monitored; expansion efforts were instead directed towards Zigua. Gradaully things died down and life returned to normal in the Tumbuka court.

In 1532, news arrives in Tumbuka that in the far north the Sultanates of Warsangli and Ajuuran were at war. The council agreed that this was a prime opportunity to expand northwards by striking against the minor nations of Malindi and Pate since their larger allies were occupied elsewhere.

7ytaD14.jpg

Malindi and Pate fall to our armies quickly and we demand their complete annexation. King Bwati once again is stunned at the utter lack of information that he has at his disposal on the lands beyond Pate in the North. This made further expansion and political considerations much more difficult. Moving forward, the council commissions a large expeditionary force to explore beyond the borders to procure knowledge of whether any advanced nations lay beyond. Prince Gonapamunya is instructed to go along with the expedition as well as a symbol of the expedition's legitimacy and as a way to to increase his diplomatic experience.

As roman fever fears had subsided within the capital and the disease seemed to have disipated in Hehe, the King began crafting ideas for how to push for faster settlement growth in the border regions. He decided that granting charter rights to merchants so that they would be granted advantages setting up trade settlements would be a good way to get a much needed incentive boost. The King announced this at the next council meeting. He was in a particularly good mood that day, and chose to overlook that one of the leading councilmen’s chair’s was empty. Nonetheless, when the next council meeting came around and the seat remained empty, it was clear that this was an issue that needed to be addressed. ‘Where is Muhammad’, asked the King. None present knew. Nor could he be found in the following days at the capital. As days turned into weeks, the mystery of the disappearing councilman was a terrible omen which seemed to have a tangible impact on the nation’s stability as any mishap became blamed on spirits or other evil effects. The King could not believe the misfortune surrounding this event, and was also conflicted on who to elect to replace the missing adviser. Nobody wanted to be promoted to the senior councilman`s position since it seemed cursed, and each group seemed eager to nominate the other in a cruel show of generosity. The seat remaining empty only added to the rumours. Finally, the King could stand it no longer and declared the seat to be burned and destroyed, and brought in a new chair which was granted to a clergyman of great merit. Of course, this became a new issue of its own as the nobles found that they had lost out on a promotion, but at least the rumours began to fade and life continued on at the capital.

WynqRIt.jpg

By 1539, complete control of the regions of Hehe and Zigua have been achieved and flows of slaves and ivory arrive at the capital as a show of fielty from the two regions. Diplomatic funding and trade missions are directed southwards to the two regions of Inhambane and Matsulo, which each have a notable 9 development each and as such are prioratized for expansion. One councilman suggests a large scale settlement project which brings in pioneer women; growth in Inhambane booms as a result.

Time passes slowly until 1544, which is a year of celebration and revelation at capital. The Tumbuka expeditionary forces complets their journies documenting exploration and trading with nations along the East African Coast, the Gulf of Aden, the Congo and Western Africa. The expeditionary force marches triumphantly down the streets of Tumbuka, and crowds gather to see the strange objects and animals that they have brought back from foreign lands. As the commander of the force and Prince Gonapamunya arrive later that evening at the council, the commander hands them the completed map of his journies and a journal detailing his discoveries.

A7j14Tj.jpg

King Bwati sits at the table, and all others follow suit after him. Prince Gonapamunya is twenty eight years of age at this point, and many of the nobles and councilmen gathered are sure to take a discrete glance at the returning prince at one point or another. The King is 69 at this point, so most men gathered are sure to be thinking of how to impress the future king since it is only a matter of time at this point. The expeditionary commander places a number of articles on the table along with the map. `To the far south lies a small trade settlement belonging to the Kingdom of Portugal. From there we got this.` The commander held up what appeared to be a hand cannon of meticulous craftsmanship. `The men are european and have travelled a long ways. They conveyed the message that they would be open to trade, but that we should limit our expansion southwards to avoid unnecessary border conflicts.` King Bwati considered the weapon and the proposal, and announced that a diplomat would be sent to the Portugese settlement accepting the proposal for trade and a limiting of expansion beyond the region of Matsulo by Tumbuka.

Other points of note were of course made about the map and articles brought by the expeditionary force: the island of madagascar had been unified under Saklava, a pirate endorsing barbaric nation which seemed eager to raid Tumbuka coastal trade… to the north Ajuuran had lost the war with the Warsangli and the winning nation lay weakened and open to potential conquest… further north the Hejazi Sultanate had formed a powerful cross gulf of Aden nation to be wary of… and many other smaller points which were discussed at court that day until the sun set and a new chapter began for the African Kingdom of Tumbuka.

Last edited:
Great, another update :). Nice to see you picked Exploration as your 2nd idea group. Will you expand beyond Africa or was it just to explore the north of Africa? Are you going to westernise off that Portuguese colony or isn't that possible because of trade companies?

Great, another update :). Nice to see you picked Exploration as your 2nd idea group. Will you expand beyond Africa or was it just to explore the north of Africa? Are you going to westernise off that Portuguese colony or isn't that possible because of trade companies?

Actually, since I am through this AAR with such a huge roleplay element to it and I have gotten so invested in the characters....

I have made the definitive decision to not westernize or colonize out of Africa for a long, long time unless something huge changes

I know is definitely sub-optimal game-play, but considering how I am not that far behind in tech (I am only 1 mil tech behind Portugal now), I am the big fish in the pond right now, not facing pressure to westernize, etc.
If I was King Bwati or even Prince Gonapamunya I would not have seen the need to westernize, deny Portugal coastal provinces, etc :)
Same goes for naval colonization... it wouldn't make sense considering I'm a land based religious/trade/militaristic empire... I think.
I dunno, this could go so, so horribly but I'm going to go for African Power and I hope I can pull it off :eek:

The Exploration ideas though is vital since I am going to be subjugating all those unoccupied low development interior and coastal African provinces and there are way, way too many to do that with only one/no colonist. I also needed the idea group to explore north like you mentioned since Central African Tech has such abysmal maps I can't even expand without it :(

It would be marvellous if you would go for 'African Power' but don't you need to start as Kongo for that? If so, westernising seems needed since you will definitely lack in military tech later. Whatever you'll do, I'll be following it :)!

Chapter 9: The Somali Wars

1544-1562

Using the new maps that were drafted during the East African Expeditions, the Tumbuka council found that they could much better identify opportunities for expansion. On the far northern border was the Sultanate of Warsangli; lacking in allies, except for the small kingdom of Ethiopia, and greatly weakened from their long feuds with the Ajuuran. Within two months, Tumbuka had massed its armies on the border and declared war.

Because of the religious differences between Tumbuka and Warsangli, the clergymen of Tumbuka were able to justify the war somewhat to the common people as a holy war. Some priests said it was because the muslims forcefully prosthetylized our peoples and must be stopped, but whatever reason was used, the council found that the support of the peoples and a justification of holy war made it much easier to demand extensive concessions without seeming unjust.

By 1546, the war was nearing its conclusion and revolts began springing up throughout Warsangli as the nation began to collapse. As King Bwati prepared to draft the peace treaty, he received an invitation from the Malik of Mogadishu, Abdikarim I Muzaffar of Mogadishu (2/4/3), who was seeking an audience with him.

tH8bMPX.jpg

King Bwati accepts the invitation by the Malik. Before departing, the King first attends to an important matter; it seems that the call to a holy war had led to a number of defectors from Warsangli joining Tumbuka because of their prosecution under the old ruler. These men had a similar faith to that of Tumbuka, but it was full of strange superstitions and traditions that the head clergymen were worried would corrupt the national faith, and the men should be reformed to follow the national faith perfectly. Bwati supported this decision fully.

Later, as Bwati arrived at the Malik’s court to find himself the guest of a grand banquet, a performance, and various sorts of tributes to his greatness. No doubt all this is so as to sway the king into choosing to allow the tiny nation of Mogadishu to remain independent. The Malik himself is a very strange man; he was the perfect host through most of the evening, and yet casually made remarks that he would love to take Pate and some of the borders regions in Tumbuka should he have the chance. The courtiers would make knowing glances when this occurred, and it was obvious that these outbursts were related to some condition. It is unfathomable how one would otherwise act this way if they worried of insulting the guest and risking retaliation. A strange combination of militarist and diplomat, seemed to drift in and out of sanity at times; this was the Malik. And yet, King Bwati took pity on the man and his Kingdom. There was no need to completely annex this realm when Tumbuka would already have its hands full integrating the Warsangli lands. Perhaps he should allow this strange man and his lands freedom until some future time.

But King Bwati never made it back to Tumbuka. He died during his return journey under mysterious circomstances, and while Bwati was 73 years of age at the time, most peoples did not accept that the death was age related. Perhaps it was inevitable, but blame came to fall on the Mogadishu as the cause of the King’s demise, and their fate was sealed after that. Even as the new Tumbuka ruler, King Gonapamunya al-Muwahib took the throne and signed the peace treaty between Warsangli and Tumbuka, he readied the armies for a second war into Mogadishu.

IOuFgK2.jpg

As King Gonapamunya signs a peace treaty, Tumbuka sees itself gain control of the regions of Hafun, Qardho, Garoowe, Togdheer, Werder, Galkayo, El Buur, Hobyo, Meregh, Beledweyne,Merca, Barawa and Kismayo.

‘It does not truly matter whether or not King Bwati was murdered or he died in an accident. What matters is that people believe it was murder; this matters because it gives me a valid reason for war that people will rally behind. None will care when Mogadishu burns. In fact, this is what must be done. I can not tolerate a tiny, insignificant state to exist that calls into question my absolute divine will, for I am the one who will unite the tribes and peoples around Tumbuka under one nation and make all remember my legacy.’

- King Gonapamunya I al-Mawahib (5/2/5) (age 31)

-Authoritarian, Explorer, Militarist

ttQ7yfZ.jpg

King Gonapamunya decides to forgo the traditional corronation ceremonies so that he does not need to make a long march back to the capital at Tumbuka. He declares war on the Malikate of Mogadishu and will settle for nothing less than complete annexation. As the seiges drag on, Gonapamunya sends envoys back to the capital with large chests of gold; he pays the senior advisors to retire immediately and uses the remaining funds to restructure the council, with the leading advisors being focused on theology, diplomacy and the training of large scale armies. All of these will help in preventing rebellions in the newly aquired provinces, gaining more requests for the ongoing conflicts and keeping diplomatic alliance options available in case it is needed.

The King decides that even a prominent theologan is not sufficient to deal with bringing all the new regions under full control quickly enough, and he passes the ‘wandering shamans’ act (+2% national conversion strength at cost of 50 ADM) which encourages prosthetylization to the national faith in less developed regions.

HWcdnTb.jpg

1548: After the wars

As the Malikate of Mogadishu is overwhelmed and forced into accepting unconditional surrender, King Gonapamunya notices how badly his nation is being strained by the post war occupation and integration process (99% overextension, over 2 war exhaustion, rebel risk rising quickly). Even as he focuses the nation’s resources and his administrative skills toward integration, the King also formally rivals the Sharifate of Hejaz, the Kingdom of Congo and the Chiefdom of Sakalava and considers further military expansion.

In 1550, amid several revolts (22,000 men in Mogadishu and 7,000 in Galkoye, while nation army remains at 18,000) a minor relief and celebration occurs as the nation hears that an heir has been born. He is named Chilongozi al-Mawahib, and will surely become a great ruler like those before him.

76Vn8bb.jpg

As the King begins increasing the expansion projects into neighboring tribal regions, expeditures rise and the nation scales back adminstrative advisors and hires a renowned innovator to increase national efficiency. This seems to pay back yields as a monoply company is formed and allows the country to continue to finance the expensive border territory expansion projects. One and a half year later, a King Gonapamunya has a second son.

King Gonapamunya grows increasingly disappointed as years pass and yet he fails to see opportunities for military expansion against Tumbuka’s three rivals. Sakalava was an island with a far superior fleet which made landing impossible (he had invaded in 1552 and had not gained any territory after a two year war, forcing him to white peace), there remained immense uncontrolled land between Tumbuka and the Kingdom of Congo so invasions there were obviously impossible, and the Hejazi empire to the north remained strong and unmoving. Nonetheless, the King was preparing for his next war, as Tumbuka had gained control of four new regions through colonial expansion the last decade from 1548 to 1558. The region of Muhambwe, one of the new acquisitions, now provided a land border with the great lakes nations of Rwanda and Karagwe, which were rich and unlikely to be able to resist Tumbuka incursions.

In the spring of 1559, King Gonapamunya’s wishes of seeing war were answered, but not in the way he expected, as an emissary arrived in the capital from the north.

0KxvG4d.jpg

Hejaz and Najd, led respectively by Sharif Nami Hawashim (age 15) (6/3/5) and Sultan Musa Yaruba (age 46) (5/6/6) were both confident enough that they were in a strong enough position to demand a number of the somali territories of Tumbuka and had resorted to war. King Gonapamunya rushed to recall his armies from the Great Lakes borders to mass up near Mogadishu further north. Tumbuka had only two key forts; one at Mozambique on the coast which could be supplied by ship (as Tumbuka slightly had a naval edge of 30 ships to 28 ships) and the one at the capital, which was far inland. This meant that it would take a long time for the arab armies to make the long trecks toward the capital, so there was ample time to recruit mercenary armies and ambush any small enemy forces which were vulnerable as the enemy advanced and engaged several times with armies. King Gonapamunya granted the nobles the right to select a commander amongst themselves to lead the new army. The old commander Bwati Karonga (2/0/1/0) stepped down while Chunzo Ayao (2/0/0/2) took command.

jLWxwdO.jpg

Moving the new cannon regiments to the front lines takes a while longer than expected, so we pull back to Lamu. It is unfortunate that our Kazembe ally does not receive the fallback orders in time and is defeated at El Buur by opposing general Abdullah Surur.

bQcwlA4.jpg

The enemy splits up and we strike at Kismayo the enemy army which is only half our size. We take heavier casualties however. We shortly after win a battle at Merca and quickly advance our force. Seeing as Ayao was a masterful seige commander, we decided that stopping our engagements with the enemy and then beseiging their three main forts would allow us to quicky gain an edge. Our superior navy meant it might be possible to block the straits at the Gulf of Aden and isolate and cut off the oposing armies, and the mountainous terrain in all three of the enemy fort regions means that our seige army should be able to defend itself if it is attacked.

While the plan initially goes well and we are able to seige down the coastal fort at Zeila, the enemy does not attempt to harass our forces and instead likewise goes after our capital fort. We are forced to engage their forces on flat ground to force them away with battles at Tumbuka, Pate and then a third time at Kinga.

By 1562, we have pushed the enemy back enough that we can sue for a favourable peace agreement. Both parties are eager for peace, and war exhaustion among all four member nations is over 5, but Tumbuka is able to force the concession of four border provinces.

XNXvQ1u.jpg

Knowing that another war in this region is likely, King Gonapamunya does not attempt to integrate these regions, but organizes and releases the regions as the vassel of Harer so that the new vassel will construct its own forts and field its own armies to aid Tumbuka in future regional conflicts. To the south, Kazembe is faring badly from war exhaustion as a direct result of assisting us in our war. It is uncertain what King Gonapamunya would do not that the greatest threat to the north was temporarily neutralized; would the King let the nation enjoy a bout of peace or would he seek immediate expansion into the Great Lakes nations as he was planning before the war? Now it was not only a few tribes, but half of Africa and the whole of the Arabian Gulf which watched intently the moves of the growing Tumbaka empire to see what its next move would be.

Nice read.

Thanks bbqftw.

Your northern expansions seem very productive, hopefully we'll see a Tumbukan Arabia soon.

Going North into Arabia seems like it would be difficult to deal with the Ottomans though. I have a new chapter coming out tomorrow and you'll see how I decided to expand.