• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fair enough, in spite of those grey areas of sons of apostates and suposedely souless Xenoi having souls or not ... ;) But it is better to let those byzantine :D debates to the theologicians of the court ...
Yup :D
My reference to maybe making the Inca a surrogate of our Pester John was mainly based in how Europe mistakenly took the mongol flood as a vengeful Christian king from the east just because they were bashing on Muslims and because there were rumours of christians in the east ...

Now if you take the Inca bashing on the Aztecs and the very old and persistent legend that Christians of Iberia ran away somewhere for the west at the time of the Muslim invasion ( see the somewhat laconic wiki entry on this ), it would not be out of the realm of the possible that people started to believe that those people fighting the Aztecs had to be the long lost Christians of the West fighting the Xenoi like they were doing in this side of the pond ;)
This is actually an interesting idea. I'll think about it, thanks! Although it would take some time before Romaioi discover the Far West - who knows whether Incas will survive so long?

I assumed so, since, as statedby others, synods and councils were typically problem-focused and a synod focused on the status of the Xenoi and the Muslims would probably not treat on the Tengri. And about their reformation ... I assume that the court theologicians would simply rehash St Justin Martyr argument about the similarities between the cult of Mithra and the Christianity of his time: just devilish mockery (read chapter 66, about the Eucharisty ) ;).
Yes, this synod was dedicated mostly to xenoi and Muslims plus some minor thing concerning heresy. Thanks for the link BTW - some of the canons of the IRL councils could be used without no changes in the story :)

Great work on story, a true pleasure to read. Restored Roman empire two time myself but never actually got to stage of war with aztec. Your story invigorated me to go back in game and fight again for glory or Rome. Salute and keep good work.
Thank you and good luck fighting xenoi! The work will be continued until it's done, you can count on that :)
Well, the Imperium has taken a much darker turn.
One has to fight fire with fire, as they say.
Byzantine! :mad: What be this blasphemy! Only the Rhōmaio, the Basileus, and Ieseus Christo himself can decide on this matter.
Or, to be more precise, the Holy Church led by Augustus with divine guidance from the Holy Spirit :p
Cant wait for the final chapter! Plz dont forget to post us a link on the EU4 continuation and lets hope the mods will authorize the interactive AAR there. I need to dust off my Senatorial Regalia :D
I surely will, no worries. I can't say what mods will decide but I hope that they will agree :)
It's taken me a while to read through all the edicts of the Holy Synod, and then digest it. As others have said, you have clearly put a great deal of research and thought into that chapter.
Thank you very much - doing research was very interesting I have to admit.
As to the contents of the update... 'Harsh' seems to be a good word to describe them. And before you pounce, I realize the Xenoi are a lethal threat to the Empire and therefore, by extension, to the last bastions of true Christendom, and I realize that far abler minds than mine have come up with these conclusions. ;)
Haha, okay :)
With that disclaimer out of the way: I'm not surprised the Xenoi are considered soulless and therefore beyond redemption. It's skirting close to calling for a war of total annihilation, which is uncomfortable from a modern-day perspective, but hey, it certainly fits with the story and the developing character of your Empire. What did surprise me somewhat was how some of the old punishments for various transgressions were being intensified (I see there's a particular apetite for burning people ;)). It strikes me as indicative of the siege mentality that the Empire has. It's beset on all sides by dangerous foes and any internal disturbance could as easily spell the end of the Empire as an attack by the Aztecs, so no dissent will be tolerated.
It not only fits the story but IMHO is completely natural that siege mentality slowly transforms the Imperium into something what we living in 21st century find, well, disturbing. But it's "kill or be killed" and even in game it takes one disaster (for example AI taking over the Imperium) for Christendom to die. It shouldn't be surprising that what's going on in Europe is changing the Romaioi - it's been 150 years of constant warfare on all fronts. And the enemy is not just another European with whom we have some issues over borders - no, xenoi are completely alien in almost every aspect. They came out of nowhere and started unprecedented campaign of genocide.

Let me use an example (not a perfect one but still) - what would happen to UK or USA if World War II against Japan and Germany lasted for more than a century? What would happen to social institutions, to law, to perception of what's good and bad, to religion? I really doubt that one and a half century of struggle and V2 falling on London we would have a very different society.
The measures might be necessary, and living in such an authoritarian Empire still beats being sacrificed to the Aztec demons, but I can't imagine the life of the average Roman is a happy one.
Actually, individual rights and liberties, pursue of happiness and so on are modern constructs starting with Locke, Hobbes, Kant and others. It's anachronic to use individual hapiness or terms like democracy, rights and so on to describe middle ages and people who lived there. But I agree, the average Roman citizen probably isn't really happy - still, the alternative is a painful death or being slave for the rest of his (short) life. All in all, what the Imperium provides may not seem to be sufficient from a modern perspective - but it's the best what they can count on.

The Mahometans had it coming but alas another Augustus goes to Hel... I mean Heaven !
Hmm. Ten lashes.
NOOOOOO! He was a good king! Oh well Long live Emperor Alexios! Such a good update, I can't wait till my highschool gets out next week, I can play CK2 again!
And I (in a somewhat paradoxical way) can't wait until I finish CK2 part of this AAR because I didn't even play an hour of RoI because I have to keep the game in 2.0.4 :)
Wonderful to see the Empire thriving in the New Eastern Order.
I'm not sure "thriving" is the best word but yes, it's good.

Next chapter is going to be dedicated either to the next ~10 years or it will be another part of "The Chronicles of the House Angelos" - although I think I may just concentrate on the story and getting to 1444 and then (after EU4 part is started) complete the Chronicles. I haven't decided yet but I'm willing to do so, since it means quicker switching to EU4.

I have to say that when I first stumbled upon this AAR I thought that it's one of those strange AARs where people play countries randomly placed upon game map, and I decided to not read it. Thank God and Saint Markos, ever vigilant defender of the Imperium (praised be his name), that I decided to rectify that mistake. Love all the W40k references and atmosphere of never-ending war and misery. I'm eagerly waiting iAAR version of the AAR, I think I will drop by and roleplay some hardline, renaissance equivalent of Blood Raven commander.
BTW, you should totally name your next emperor "Gabriel".

If you're assassinated by your foes, I think that marks you as a good ruler, since they saw you as enough of a threat to warrant your murder.

Terrible security, though, you should probably just dump the entire guard detail and palace staff out the window. You should also take the eyes of the most cunning dukoi, just to be safe. Even if they weren't behind this particular assassination, for truly even the vilest of traitors and closet heretics (we all know they are, they hardly ever denounce the bishop of rome, that just isn't enough proof to arrest them all... yet) are still bound by an opposition to shia schemes, they were probably trying to poke holes in the palace's security for their own dastardly plot and were just beaten to the punch.

If you're assassinated by your foes, I think that marks you as a good ruler, since they saw you as enough of a threat to warrant your murder.

This is totally true, in history all the best rulers get assassinated, In my game as the E.R.E my main enemy the Sunni empire even though shia is on the rise as i beat them into submission, my best rulers only have a life span of at most 20 years

I have to say that when I first stumbled upon this AAR I thought that it's one of those strange AARs where people play countries randomly placed upon game map, and I decided to not read it. Thank God and Saint Markos, ever vigilant defender of the Imperium (praised be his name), that I decided to rectify that mistake. Love all the W40k references and atmosphere of never-ending war and misery. I'm eagerly waiting iAAR version of the AAR, I think I will drop by and roleplay some hardline, renaissance equivalent of Blood Raven commander.

Steal everything! Leave absolutely nothing there. Is it naiiled down? Then steal the nails as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Steal everything! Leave absolutely nothing there. Is it naiiled down? Then steal the nails as well.

Burn! Loot! Pillage! TP everything! (Torch n' Pillage) Let's start a new viking era!

Burn! Loot! Pillage! TP everything! (Torch n' Pillage) Let's start a new viking era!
Those filthy Vikings wore pants! PANTS!

Great as always. May you show us a religious map of the world? I'm curious about that.

BTW, you should totally name your next emperor "Gabriel".
Hi there (or should I say cześć?)! Thank you very much and I'm glad you appreciate references - though (what's kinda funny actually) grimdark setting was completely created by AI with Aztec and Mongol unbelievable success. I'm just trying to reflect how the Imperium would function and how would people think and live in such depressing world. And be sure that you'll have a chance to join the Imperial Senate (if the mods allow me to do interactive AAR) - I consider House Ravenus reserved for you then :)

Terrible security, though, you should probably just dump the entire guard detail and palace staff out the window. You should also take the eyes of the most cunning dukoi, just to be safe. Even if they weren't behind this particular assassination, for truly even the vilest of traitors and closet heretics (we all know they are, they hardly ever denounce the bishop of rome, that just isn't enough proof to arrest them all... yet) are still bound by an opposition to shia schemes, they were probably trying to poke holes in the palace's security for their own dastardly plot and were just beaten to the punch.
It is said that one can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies. Obviously, it isn't true - the savages and xenoi surrounding the Imperium are nothing more than dust in the eyes of Our Lord Iesus Kristos and His chosen House Angelos. But yes, the barbarians have good reasons to hate and fear the power of the Throne.

Funny thing you mention House Doukas considering what's about to happen in story - and let me end here to avoid spoilers :)

This is totally true, in history all the best rulers get assassinated, In my game as the E.R.E my main enemy the Sunni empire even though shia is on the rise as i beat them into submission, my best rulers only have a life span of at most 20 years
Sunni empire? You must cut off the ugly head of the Caliphate before it consumes more good Christians!
20 years aint't that bad actually if you are actively assasinating AI rulers. Either way, good luck!

Steal? Steel rehn!
Those filthy Vikings wore pants! PANTS!
At least they don't have those METAL BAWKSES!
Great as always. May you show us a religious map of the world? I'm curious about that.
It's not from 1410 but 1421 but I hope it's fine; I'll do some pretty maps for 1444 though, so if this table isn't enough be sure that there will be more once we reach the conclusion of CK2 part.
3Su3j4I.jpg

Next chapter is coming btw and it will be dedicated to Alexios I Angelos.

It's not from 1410 but 1421 but I hope it's fine; I'll do some pretty maps for 1444 though, so if this table isn't enough be sure that there will be more once we reach the conclusion of CK2 part.
3Su3j4I.jpg

Does this mean from the glory of Sanit Markos that the Aztecs are starting to fall! Does this mean more imperial lands reclaimed? Does this mean the Tengri have killed off the Islamists? What does this MEAN!

Does this mean from the glory of Sanit Markos that the Aztecs are starting to fall! Does this mean more imperial lands reclaimed? Does this mean the Tengri have killed off the Islamists? What does this MEAN!
No spoilers! What does it mean? Well, this basically:

EnMQ0Hy.png

Made with onlinecharttool.com

The Byzantines are brutal and vicious and I love it. It's not often there's an AAR where I'm rooting against the player, yet still extremely entertained; villain protagonists are hard to pull off. He who lives by the dagger dies by the dagger.

(Then again, given the grimdark setting and the historical background, the Aztecs and Mongols are probably just as bad - we just don't see enough of 'em.)

The Byzantines are brutal and vicious and I love it. It's not often there's an AAR where I'm rooting against the player, yet still extremely entertained; villain protagonists are hard to pull off. He who lives by the dagger dies by the dagger.

(Then again, given the grimdark setting and the historical background, the Aztecs and Mongols are probably just as bad - we just don't see enough of 'em.)

Villain? Such heresy! The Roman Empire is benevolent and pure!

(Also, my first post! Hooray me!)

I believe the empire lives by the wise Latin proverb, "exitus acta probat" or "the end, justifies the means."

Praise the emperor and pass the ammunition....

Ops 40k years ahead...sorry!

Hi there (or should I say cześć?)! Thank you very much and I'm glad you appreciate references - though (what's kinda funny actually) grimdark setting was completely created by AI with Aztec and Mongol unbelievable success. I'm just trying to reflect how the Imperium would function and how would people think and live in such depressing world. And be sure that you'll have a chance to join the Imperial Senate (if the mods allow me to do interactive AAR) - I consider House Ravenus reserved for you then :)

Well, I guess that some RNGs just want to see the world burn.
Come to think of it, has somebody already brought the idea of inquisition? One would think that in the world where pentarchy was restored and where faith is one of the most important factors in keeping the country together such institution would exist and have huge influences.

How much of an iron fisted rule do the Xenoi opress the good christians of europe with? Yes even the Catholic Heretics, by Saint Markos they may be Heretics lead astray by the Patriarch of Rome but they are still Christians dammit. (Ie how high is their crown authority, i cant imagine the Ilkharnate having any more than low, considering the constant revolts and the like, but its the aztecs im worried about, since they seem to have been much more stable these last decades.)

(Then again, given the grimdark setting and the historical background, the Aztecs and Mongols are probably just as bad - we just don't see enough of them.)
Thank you very much, though I wouldn't call the Imperium and Angeloi villains. As TV Tropes classifies these things, for sure they do not fit the descripton of a classic Hero, but IMHO they are more like Anti-Hero or Tragic Hero - at worst I would call them Anti-Villains, with a possibility of turning into Fallen Hero in the future.
But you must remember that:
1. Xenoi and Mongols are invading the Imperium over and over, not the other way around
2. They are using genocide and human sacrifices on a regular basis (as religion and culture map clearly shows)
3. Their societies are build on slavery violence mindless obedience raw power and nothing more while Romaioi have institutions like universities, libraries, law and so on
I thought it is obvious by now but I can show you more of what they are doing if it's really needed :)

Very well, citizien, that's the spirit! And welcome to the thread :)
I believe the empire lives by the wise Latin proverb, "exitus acta probat" or "the end, justifies the means."
Yes they do or as I say, the dagger justifies the means
Oh yes - since failure means the fall of Christendom and Roman civilisation it simply isn't an option, no matter the cost.

After all (Exodus 21:23-25): And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. Also (Deuteronomy 7:2,): And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them.

The xenoi and barbarians will pay in blood for what they have done.

Praise the emperor and pass the ammunition....
Ops 40k years ahead...sorry!
Not necessarily, we'll get gunpowder quite early in EU4 ;)

[video=youtube_share;TUOPvtVZwo8]http://youtu.be/TUOPvtVZwo8[/video]

Well, I guess that some RNGs just want to see the world burn.
Come to think of it, has somebody already brought the idea of inquisition? One would think that in the world where pentarchy was restored and where faith is one of the most important factors in keeping the country together such institution would exist and have huge influences.
So far the Brotherhood has been used as such institution in several cases (Italian Catholics and their vile heresies written by Francis of Assisi and other madmen) - Holy Church has the support of the imperial administration, so separate institution wasn't really needed. Yet.
How much of an iron fisted rule do the Xenoi opress the good christians of europe with? Yes even the Catholic Heretics, by Saint Markos they may be Heretics lead astray by the Patriarch of Rome but they are still Christians dammit. (Ie how high is their crown authority, i cant imagine the Ilkharnate having any more than low, considering the constant revolts and the like, but its the aztecs im worried about, since they seem to have been much more stable these last decades.)
Huh, I can't really answer to this question right now - from what I remember xenoi have either Medium or High crown authority, Iron Khan has Medium and the Horde is down to Low authority (though in e_tartaria they had Absolute at one point). I'll try to check it out but in-game currently I am in year 1420+ so I can't really tell without spoilers.

Next episode is coming this weekend, here's a small teaser - long live augustus Alexios I Angelos!

p42HDOb.jpg

Last edited: