• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Final Chapter: Rome Reborn

We'll be continuing (and finishing) our spree of conquests in this chapter, but first a screenshot of the religious mapmode, as requested (I was a little ahead when the request came, so sorry if it's a bit late):
2r70j92.jpg

Still got a bit to go, but with 5 missionaries now conversion can pretty much keep up with my conquering. Even without religious ideas pretty much everything gets done in about a year, even provinces with ~40 development only take about one and a half years.

Anyways, once I got enough warscore against GB (overseas allies are a bit annoying at this point...) I took the last of their English forts and connected my territories there:
1o0eox.jpg

Not quite happy with the northern border there, but with the way the province borders go I didn't see anything better.

I also started wars against some of the German nations for some final touches on that border. Ulm was the first to be incorporated into our Empire:
px2qt.jpg

And Augsburg followed soon after:
66ao9i.jpg

Again with a little extra for Lüneburg. As I said earlier, I didnt want them as a vassal, but since I got them I might as well feed them a little. :p

A short war against the Ottomans saw me getting all their forts and connecting my provinces there, same as what I did with GB.
5mj02h.jpg

Next up France got reduced enough that I would be able to swallow their last continental holdings in one more war:
nd4wfl.jpg

After that I used the time waiting for some truces to run out for some improvements on the eastern borders:
3483knt.jpg

The provincal borders there are really uneven, but I gotta work with what I got.
I also incorporated Theodoro back into Genoa around this time, must have missed some rebels in my vassal's territory earlier.:rolleyes:

I also declared one final war against Castille in the meantime, which saw them losing their last provinces on the continent:
aykcua.jpg

And with Catalonia's annexation having finished soon after, that's a big part done already (and also fixed our name ;)):
vdgx2f.jpg

Since I was at peace for almost a year now Scandinavia decided to give me a helping hand and decided to attack Muscovy and the Commonwealth:
mbthl0.jpg

Since I had more than enough armies to spare I send a couple of them over, and sieged the Commonwealth for my allies.:D

In the meantime I finished my conquests of first England:
317edg5.jpg

And then the Ottomans:
25hicm0.jpg

France and Flanders were the last ones to fall, but since I goofed up a little and missed an alliance between the two of them I had to take them all in one go:
293wzrp.jpg

Seperate peace with Flanders would have required some 600 diplo points, and since I didn't want to wait to take them in another war I just ate the overextension.
Which, with perfect timing, was soon followed by a comet sighting. :D
2njhvfp.jpg

Oh well, I'm still pretty stable at +2 stability.

For some reason my rival choices sorta got screwed around this time, no idea how it ended up with these options (I still had Commonwealth, which made sense, but the other 2 slots were open at this point):
11gnj87.jpg

It's been weird for a while already, but this was just silly.

Also, something which probably helped me a bit in dealing with my almost constant high overextension:
2wnxyzl.jpg

I was paying almost 300 ducats a month on fort maintenance at this point, but that's a good use of my money even late in the game imo.

And soon enough the annexation of Burgundy was finished:
259dhcz.jpg

I got a bit more than Rome actually had in some regions, but I'm still pretty happy with my borders this game.
2u53j12.jpg

I continued for a few more years to get some more achievments (Decent Reserve and City of Cities), I also used the time to convert the last of my provinces to Protestant.
wtiuf5.jpg

I did convert the last few provinces in the east too, seem to have forgotten to make a final screenshot in this mapmode though.:oops:

And finally my economy:
30sdr13.jpg

I honestly couldn't be bothered to maximize my trade income, but I was still doing well enough in terms of money. Almost 7000 development in just over 400 provinces is pretty crazy imo, even if I do own some pretty rich regions. From what I can tell big nations getting reduced to a minor really go crazy on development, much more so than nations that just start small.

So yeah, there you go. A big thank you to everyone who kept following this campaign (and to everyone who might read it later), it was a really fun one for me too.
By the time the typical late game boredom was starting to set in I was already close enough to my final goals that I could easily pull through, and the early-too-mid game had quite a few tense moments to keep me on edge.

I have not yet decided on my next campaign, but I'll most likely start it this next weekend, and then start the AAR for it soon after. I hope I'll see you there. :)

Last edited:
+1 for giving extra credit to Ulm!

But man, this performance is really something. I recreated the Roman borders with Byzantium once, and I gave myself a juicy 80% core cost reduction because Europe's coring cost is absurd if you want to conquer half of the continent :D I guess the Italian ideas help a lot in that regard.

It was really interesting to follow this and I am a fan of a non-catholic southern Europe, since it never happens if the region is left to the AI.

I'll be sure to follow your next story as well, you have proven to provide amply entertaining stories for yourself and the readers.

Anybody find it ironic that Western Latin Christianity now lies in the east thanks to Rome's conquests?

can you upload an image of what land the byzantine empire would have taken if you had released a a vassal as a buffer against the Turks?
There's a small problem with that: There are no Byzantine cores left anywhere.

The closest I can offer is what Greece would get, 12 provinces in total:
rh0kk3.jpg

Nice end! Thanks for doing this.:)

Could you please announce also here the start of your next campaign?
Sure thing. I'm still trying some things out, but as soon as I start the next AAR I'll leave a note here too.

Reactions:
I didn't even notice that was the end. Great story through and through @Kagemin