• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Snake IV said:
Andalusia has a European styled city, which indicates that it would not be someone too far away that took it. On the other hand Yellow is something the Europeans lack.

I paused, saved and took the screenshot on the same day the peace was concluded.

So this might be the explanation. And yes, that is China.

I now officially feel sorry for Spain.

Update shortly.

From now on, i will expand more on the gameplay part of the AAR, since micromanagement becomes more important, especially when reaching a BB of 51.1/52. Pictures will remain, of course, but with a little more explanations.

Conversion and new alliance

Trade 7 is reached, and for now emphasis is put again on eco techs, since i need to be prepared at m best for when BB wars will come, and i think it won't be long 'till that happens. I cannot hope to maximize them all, but 7 is a minimum requirement. After trade 7, i switch research to infra 7.

ad1.jpg

I use my explorer Fang to scout from the Australian base towards the Pacific, in hope to finally reaching South America. Now, the only connection i have to my American colonies is the Japan-Sacramento route. A pit stop colony is established in New Zeeland, but soon it will become more than that.

ad2.jpg

Unfortunately, Fang dies off the coast of Australia, while heading for the new colony. I was really disappointed, since i planned to colonise teh province immediately south of the Incas and from that base invade them and annex them. That was not to be, so my plan changed. I had to get more random explorers, and my naval slider allowed that, but having a high NT also helps, so for a while i switched research to that.

ad3.jpg

Lao Cai is the second Dai Viet province, still Buddhist.You might remember the first one converted by the sword as soon as i diplo-annexed them. The inquisitions fail miserably, as i don't have the culture needed, the provs have large populations, around 50k, and fortress level is only medium (for all in the region - the best i cold do with m money at the time). Conversion attempts have a probability from 12% to 18%. This was a 17% one, iirc.

ad4.jpg

The lack of diplomats is really hurting my plans, and every one i get i send gifts to my future victims: Sulu and Kutei. Since with Kutei i already have a +170 relation, i improve relations with Sulu, in hope of an alliance proposal. When this comes, i accept it, although Palembang is quite useless, since they own the whole of Java, and there is no posibility for DA, as i have no land connection to them.

ad5.jpg

Xining is a different story. It is a han province, my own primary culture, with a probability of over 25% (i think it is 27), yet all my attempts of converting it fail. Every one of the. It is frustrating, given that population is also pretty low and fort is lvl3.

ad6.jpg

On the other hand, a 16% conversion works. Notice the rest of the region, filled with dancing Confucian inquisitors. I am guessing sooner or later i will have some luck.

ad7.jpg

Conversions in Borneo are the worst. I have no land connection there, and the population is also pretty high. Success rates are at around 13%, but i still send missionaries there after i fill up my mainland provinces, because i simply cannot let them go to waste. Of course every conversion here fails. I did not expect anything else.

ad8.jpg

Sulu is diplo-vassalized, and 10 years later i will attempt a DA, since they own a province in northern Borneo, therefore land connection with China.

ad9.jpg

Another failed inquisition in Indochina. I will now fight the rebels until i reduce them to <15k, then let them cover the provs, to decrease population, and directly increase the success percentages.

ad10.jpg

The Sick Man of Europe

Sometimes an unprovoked revolt event hits in a single province 5-6 times. This time it hit Mindoro. You can imagine how many unprovoked revolts happened there to get 18k rebels from a 1k population colony. My men held and won, although left with only 802 cavalry.

aa1.jpg

Two more failed conversions in IndoChina. Maybe i should not attempt them, but i am a sucker for religious homogeneity. Besides, it keeps stab costs down. Speaking of which, stabcosts are at about 2.7k now, pretty acceptable, given my monthly income of 520 ducats, I'd say. Notice the 'rebel garrisons' covering the wrong-religion provinces.

aa2.jpg
aa3.jpg

A colony (successful) is being set up in Louga, bringing China yet another step closer to Europe. Naples got there after burning own a TP previously owned by... yes, you guessed it: Spain.

aa4.jpg

Kutei is vassalized as well and is put on the waiting list for 10 years. My main concern diplomatically now is to find another alliance, and suitable future vassals. My attention moves to tibet and mongolia. But first i need to get a conquistador to get to Mongolia, also i need to get out of the alliance with Sulu and Kutei, and that can be done only after i diploannex them.

aa5.jpg

New Zeeland proved a lot more useful than i thought, and with the disappearance of the COT in Portuguese South America, another one spawns in Whangarei. European trade policies are really bad. So far, the COTs in Lisbon and Holland are threatened by disappearing.

aa6.jpg

I really hoped Santal would succeed, since eliminating Hindu provs gave me a slider to set to 0, waiting for the new Christian additians to my Empire (which will hopefully come soon). So far, Goa and Santal are Hindu, both with conversion costs of over 1.5 k ducats(goa has 2.4k) and probability of around 11%..

aa7.jpg

And the COT in Holland is gone, soon to be followed by many others. I fear that once i annex my Asian neighbors the same might start happening to mine. Losing the >1k COTs in Malacca and Shanghai would be a real blow to the now prosperous Chinese economy. Let's hope that won't happen.

aa8.jpg

This picture is a collage of Spain i have made. And they still refuse peace with any of their enemies. I guess that ferocity is really working, eh?

aa9.jpg

In the middle of Dutch colonies, the natives burnt a TP, and so the Chinese settled in Natal. another pit-stop for a European invasion fleet in the future perhaps.

aa10.jpg

More (failed) conversions

This is pretty much the ratio of successful conversions to failed ones. Every success has at least 3 failed ones. Hopefully the rebels covering the provinces will work miracles in the next few years or i am abandoning hope for this region.

as1.jpg
as2.jpg
as3.jpg
as4.jpg

A new colony is established in San Matias, in South America. North of our position we see the Venetian flag. So it is obviously a Spanish colony. Spain is still overrun, they do however have two armies, about 40k strong each in Cuba and Haiti. Good for them.

as5.jpg

New explorer Chang continues explorer Fang's work to discover the Southern Passage. Things seem to be going well...

as6.jpg

Just a bit of advice: Never merge your ship from port with warships that have been on anti-pirate coastal duty since the early 1500s... Or if you do, resupply them in a port at least. I was embarrassed by this, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. I had to take a screenshot:

as7.jpg

My diplomatic predicament was solved, when my alliance with Sulu, Kutei and Palembang was dissolved due to inactivity. I took initiative and invited Sulu and Kutei, as well as Tibet. Tibet will soon be vassalized.

as8.jpg

Trade slowly flows away from Europe. I have never seen a COT in Fez! I guess i will have to take matters into my own hands and set things straight over there. Not long, just need to take care of some business at home first.

as9.jpg

Of course business at home goes bad. Especially in Xining, which refuses to convert for the umpteenth time. I think i had 6-7 failures in this own-culture prov. Sick...

as10.jpg

Yesterday i didn't want to finish the game without conquering Andalusia, as suggested by one of my readAARs (CSK), so now i will have some more updates, since i took a lot of screenshots, all equally important. So buckle up, there are more coming!

Excellent!

WAR!

A good session has to start with a failed conversion, for the sake of tradition at least. Now most of IndoChina is looted, as a result of rebels reducing the number of people in the provinces of the area.

ae1.jpg

When infra 7 is reached, i put all my research into LT, since Spain obviously has no possibility for researching, i will hopefully cancel their CRT advantage on me. Besides, i have the advantage of numbers.

ae2.jpg

The Brunei conversions are actually a lost case, i only keep sending missionaries there out of habit.

ae3.jpg

And finally I declare war on Spain, with explorer Chang moving troops from Mexico to Iberia. His 100+ fleet is immune to attrition and for starters i plan on taking Gibraltar, from there in a future war planning to take Andalusia.

ae4.jpg
ae5.jpg

The AI actually does something smart to my surprise, and the French steal my siege of Gibraltar. This is a turning point in my campaign in Spain, as i decide to take Sardinia instead, undefended and rebel-sieged. To make sure nobody steals my sieges, i wll ave to call my only leader, my 5-5-3 king, who is now on... Brunei!

ae6.jpg

Meanwhile the rebel garrisons prove their effectiveness and a conversion actually succeeds! Good for them, i have something else to think about now... And another attempt fails, ruining my joy.

ae7.jpg
ae8.jpg

No time even to focus on transporting the King from Brunei to Taiwan to Japan to California to Mexico to Bermuda to Spain, since another failed conversion gets my attention.

ae9.jpg

But the session ends in a somewhat happier note. 2 failed, 2 succeeded. This is the best efficiency i had so far.

ae10.jpg

Humiliated Spain

2 failed conversions make me realize the 50% success from before was just some good luck. My next plan is to eliminate Buddhism. It will probably not happen, but i have more hope of doing this than converting Goa AND Santal. And i am not spending 1.6 k ducats on a conversion. again.

a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Military Access from France is badly needed, since attrition in Spain is too much. My king with a 40k army, including 100 cannons is stationed in Provence, waiting for Sardinia to revolt, since we arrived too late, the island falling to the rebels and afterwards assaulted by the Venetians.

a3.jpg
a5.jpg

CRT parity is reached in 1699, and now i am no longer avoiding battles with Spain. Too bad there is no Spain to fight, hehehe.

a4.jpg

Meanwhile Kutei is annexed, giving me other 2 useless provinces, one of which is in IndoChina, AND is Hindu. I didn't even see that before. Oh well...

a6.jpg

Sardinia revolted, as expected, and my leader moves in for the kill. Sardinia will make a very good base for future expansion into Europe. I have already set my greedy eyes on Tuscany, a rich Spanish vassal.

a7.jpg

Spain does something really unexpected. It peaces France by handing over lots of core provinces. My looting armies are left alone in Iberia, but a precedent has been set. If ferocious Spain ceded to France, why wouldn't it give me, say, Andalusia?

a8.jpg

Spain definitely had enough, peacing everyone, even after having finished the war with the most difficult enemy. I resist any bribe offer and decide the goal for this war: Andalusia. And military access.

a9.jpg

And now the Bourbons are on the Spanish thrones. Spain ceases to be a world super-power. China's Golden Age has begun.

a10.jpg

Unbelievably, my conversions fail! All of them actually. That is not a big deal. What is the most annoying is that Xining is one of them. I guess it will remain Muslim 'till the end of time.

aq1.jpg

aq2.jpg

aq4.jpg

aq5.jpg

The annexation of Sulu brings me 2.9 BB points under the BB wars. So i can only take one province in my agressive war against Spain, as much as i wanted to take the two provinces that assured me a land connection to the Incas.

aq3.jpg

The Bureaucracy is overstretched throughout the world, so it is becoming increasingly difficult to govern China. Some reforms need to be made. Not drastic ones, or the people will revolt, of course.

aq7.jpg

Spain can only accept my offer, since i control half of mainland Spain, plus Sardinia and all of their South American continental colonies. Peace is signed for Andalusia and military access.

aq6.jpg

Peace returns to China!

aq8.jpg

i came i saw i readed (the whole bloody thing at 1s ) and really enjoyed it :D

@Fnuco: We told you furious for AI Spain was a bug. And Spain goes back to normal in 1700 in this version, IIRC. Spain makes peace not long after January 1st 1700... No surprise.

YodaMaster said:
@Fnuco: We told you furious for AI Spain was a bug. And Spain goes back to normal in 1700 in this version, IIRC. Spain makes peace not long after January 1st 1700... No surprise.

well, i decided to work with the bug. If spain had not been so ferocious and stubborn in making a peace, then i would not have had the opportunity to take advantage of the massive gang on them from France, OE, Sweden, Venice and the Incas.

Eventually, what was lost in the 1600s was made up for now.

I worked around the bug, using it, and i don't think it was that bad of the AGCEEP crew to implement it, really. It seemed quite historical. Unless it caused Spain to get crushed in most of the games. Did this happen?

It was intended for Spain to not make peace too early when at war with Incas but if Spain was involved in wars in Europe, it had unwanted waird effects as you noticed with France in your game. Incas conquest is handled differently now, with better results (not perfect but far better than ferocity for Spain).

Excellent. nice to see Spain so thoroughly taken apart.

1042 months at sea? :wacko: :rofl:

also with most of them are failing...why bother with conversions at this late stage in the game, worth it? Or just to make it look pretty?

Good to see Spain humbled...so BB wars it is, are you going for WC or no?