• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the two sloops were close together, the battle would be more difficult. But as he rounded the bend of the harbor under the cover of the soon-ending darkness, he could see the two sloops were anything but close together. So much the better.

"Lieutenant Bergman, hard a lee. My intentions are to pin the nearer sloop to shore, dismast her, and leave her no hope chance to maneuver. Make ready the port side guns with chainshot."

The guns were run out in short order and the decks were sanded. One almost forgot after so many years in command at sea why such a morbid practice was undertaken before battle...at least until afterwards. The sails were shortened to "battle sails," about half of what they would normally be deployed to, so that there would be less chance of shot ripping and shredding them.

"A keg of rum if the first broadside drops her sails," the Captain called. "Lt Ulrich, what do you make of the other enemy?"

"She's just now seen us, if indeed she has yet. By the time she gets close enough to fire at extreme range even, we ought to have this first one at our mercy."

"Very well Lieutenant, run out the starboard guns with solid shot. We'll fire on the turn after our first pass on the near enemy."

"So polite of her to pin herself to the shore for us, wasn't it Captain."

"Indeed, so let's be rude and let the gift get away. She's going to try to make a run past our port side. If we miss her mast the first time, we'll be in a running fight against them both, and that will be far more difficult."

"She'll no' git by, Cap'n," the Scottish Ensign had "volunteered" for duty, if you heard his tale. In truth, most believed, he had been mistakenly pressed into service when his ship had put into repairs in Antwerp before the war. But the Captain had quickly seen his value and given him an officer's rank.

"Very well, Ensign Kirk, fire as your guns bear," Lebeof called out.

"Ready Port Side!" The Officer of the Deck called out. "Fire on my order. Train your guns at the rigging!" Steadily the van Doesberg bore in on her adversary. The Portuguese tried to get the first round in, finally noticing her peril. The rounds were hurriedly fired and ill-aimed, flying through the rigging of the Dutchman, threatening no one except the lookout in the crow's nest. The Frigate could now see the men scurrying about the deck, still trying to fully man battle-stations.

"Port Side, FIRE!" The Deck Officer called, and the port side guns roared in unison, the smoke rose up and the ship heeled to starboard. But the results were quickly seen and heard. The ripping and shredding of rigging was followed by the creaking crash of the single mast of the sloop as it slumped to the deck.

"Reload with grape!" The Captiain ordered, he intended now to sweep the deck so that the crew would not be able to quickly replace the mast. Meanwhile the Frigate made its turn and fired at the other enemy. The shells whistled through the air, but landed long of the target. Within a minute both sides were reloaded and ready to continue the bloody work.

The port side guns fired again at the the gunner's orders. The grapeshot ripped through the crewman desperately trying to restore the mast that would give them a chance of making flight from the superior enemy. the second shot of the Portuguese had been aimed to return the favor and demast the Frigate, but it only did minor damage, and besides, she sported two masts and both would have to be taken down to render the same treatment to her.

"Solid shot, all guns," Captain Lebeof called out. Now the Dutchman would hull the Portuguese ships to let the sea do her diabolical work to them. At a comfortable yet proficient rate of fire of once every 90 seconds or so, the Dutchman sat off the starboard front corner of the Portuguese enemy and pummeled her mercilessly for 10 minutes while the Iberians could do nothing but sit helplessly and watch, unable to maneuver enough to bring their guns to bear. One bow chaser defiantly puffing smoke for a few minutes until the Dutch gunners put it out of commission. Occasionally another gun would be rolled across the deck in an attempt to get it into position. But rarely did the crew manage to even set the gun into the chaser's mount, let alone train it on the Dutchman's roaring 16 guns.

"Where is our other enemy?" The Captain called to Lieutenant Ulrich. At that moment he heard the sound of whistling shot coming towards him and the crashing of timbers beneath him as the shot bounced between gun placements and a dull moan erupted from the guncrews.

"I'd say they foun' our range, Cap'n," the Scotsman answered out of turn.

"It only took them 15 minutes," Lebeof said as wryly as he could manage. "Hard to Port, fire as you bear!" he called out.

Moments later, the starboard guns roared to life again, most of the shots still fell long, but a few found the mark. The sloop attempted to run to sea. The Dutchman however, found the range on the second broadside, and the third crashed into her at the waterline. Finally the Portuguese ship turned away enough to make her run, and the Dutchman assumed a chase position, her bow chaser puffing every minute to remind the enemy that they had not given up the hunt. Futhermore, she unfurled her sails fully and thus was able to gain on the Portuguese ship, catching the wind more fully than the sloop was.

The only question was how long until the Dutchman was able to unload another broadside that would cripple her. The answer was not long. In less than 15 minutes, the Dutchman pulled alongside the cripple at short range and fired into her. The work that followed was bloody but mercifully short as the Portuguese ran up the white flag and were taken prisoner by a prize crew. The van Doesberg then returned to her former hapless prey. Her work was so thorough that the ship was not even worth being taken as a prize. In fact, she was abandoned and the crew trying to make their way ashore...only to find the marines waiting at the now-burned trading post for them. Their ship burned and slowly sank over the course of 4 hours, the fires finally being put out by the shallow water as she settled into the mud.

With that, Captain Lebeof planted the Dutch flag over Recife, and two months later the war ended as England gave Nanrique to the Netherlands for peace. But the Portuguese had lost most of all. A full 10 provinces were taken over by Holland, all former Portuguese trading posts, some of their most wealthy lands. THe English had declared the war, but the Portuguese had been bled white fighting it. And all knew that the Dutch were triumphant once more over them both.

The Republic has proven again that domestic political differences do not translate to weakness. Indeed, the same qualities that have made us so willing to fight for our freedoms in the States-General serve us good stead when people would take those freedoms from us. We may not be monolithic, but we are united.

Ha! Somewhere I read about this tactic of burning trade posts already... :D

Great work, describing the battle. Have you played Age of Sail II recently? ;)

Originally posted by shawng1
Sorcerer,

Not recently. I was 8 1/2 yrs Navy though.;)

Oh, you've still sailing ships in the USN? :D :p

Nice installment, Shawng1!
This time, you do your story yourself? Good battle description indeed. As for my naval computer games, Tides of War is my all time favorite.

And about the "strange" constitution: it isn't strange to have a president that had less votes than his rival? :p ;)

But we Dutch indeed have a soft spot for the monarchy, even if they absorb lots of money and do only ceremonial things.

I'm just sorry that your AAR has almost reached 1819 :( Any climax coming up? Like Napoleon's Armageddon?

The Bee,

I'm the wrong person to ask about that. I actually believe the electoral college is legitimate. And I think this last election was a good reason why. A President shouldn't be President of 4 of the 5 largest states. That's why we have two houses of Congress, that's why there's an electoral college. I firmly believe in the possibility of the tyranny of the majority. And the fact that the founders protected against that is not anachronistic, it is wise.

As for what is to come. I can't really divulge my plot, can I?

:p

Hmm. I guess Adam Smith wrote about the Dutch, not the English, in this aar.

Although do the Dutch drink tea or coffee?

Faelin,

Well, actually, the Dutch were Adam Smith's secondary example in "The Wealth of Nations.";) They drink coffee, since we don't have any of the tea-growing provinces (at least I don't recall having any of them from when I could still see the screenshots.) We do have coffee growing ones.;)

Well, they could be conneseurs(I murdered the spelling, but I don't care... lol) of hot chocolate. ;)

I love taking it out on a country that gets opportunistic... teaches them a good lesson. Good show taking out Portugal... they had it coming.

M

B,

I have to admit to getting a certain perverse pleasure from sending my little fleet of 3 ships and 5000 men around the world to burn out every single undefended Portuguese trading post I could find.:D Even better was being able to have enough colonists stored up to take every one of them for my own use.:D And I can remember when I was playing this section of the game, I was just getting into that, "Oh well, it's going to be a boring end game, blah" stage. Then the AI went and got ambitious on me. How convenient.:D

Thanks to you both.;)

BTW Norgs, I just started a new game of CM. The career thing in England is too easy starting in Div1. So I took the job at Auxerre, as a French manager. Ranked 45th in the nation, 4512th in the world! It should be a good long time before I see the big clubs this way.;)

Man, I slipped onto the 2nd page. OH well, bound to happen sooner or later. so other than shamelessly bumping my thread, I'm also posting to let the loyal readers know that the final two chapters of the saga are "in the can." And, to quote Capt Lebeof, "my intentions" are to post 1 Monday Evening, and the final installment, with epilogue, Wednesday Late Night.

BTW, I won the domestic triple with Auxerre, clinching the League with 3 games to go, and I'm now rampaging Europe (beat Roma 1-0 IN ROME).:D Who said Yanks don't know footy.:p

Anyway, see you all on Wednesday, and yes, the good Captain will make another appearance before all is completed.;)

Originally posted by shawng1
Who said Yanks don't know footy.:p

Well, as long as you let European soccer players win your games... :D

Well, a certain Landon Donvan does play a MAJOR role in my team as playmaking midfielder. He was the supporter's player of the year last year.

That said, the team captain, and French First Division PLAYER'S player of the year was Portuguese, Costinha--a legend, if you ever need a DMC on the cheap, buy him. He's a rock attacks break on. Average rating 8.1 last season. Which is even better than the 7.6 he had when I bought him playing as Wolves. Simply amazing. His stats are average looking, but he plays huge every match.

*makes note to sign Costinha whenever possible*

That's a good tip, I believe, as DMCs are hard to find. :)

I'll be waiting with baited breath until the next update, then.

Nice post again. But Auxerre beating Roma? Seems to me that Trebizond taking over the entire world is a little more likely.

Aren't sloops two masters and Frigate three? I seem to remember that the USS Constitution has three masts. But as you're navy I'd imagine you'd have a better idea.