The Tech system seems kind of... busted?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's basically the right idea. If a Prince comes along like Prince Henry the Navigator who wants to promote exploration say, then fine, it can benefit. But, that example is rare.

Basically technological innovation depends on infrastructure. Merchants want to expand overseas trade, well fine. But how are they going to get the money? Banking interests must exist and must be willing to risk capital. Ship yards much be able to build appropriate ships that can survive many months at sea. Seamen must be available in large numbers and willing to take the risks.

A way to spread risk among many investors (like a joint stock company) is ultimately needed, etc.

The Monarch is a very small part of all this. And the technology engine should reflect that.

Modernization happened DESPITE the efforts of most kings/aristocrats, not because of them.

You are partially right but this is what happened at the end of the EU IV period when Monarch had less to say about rules and regulation of a country and when free enterprise started to become truly free and enterprising.

In my opinion this is looking at it from a modern perspective and not from the renaissance perspective. Monarchs did reign pretty supreme during this period most of the time and the republic that did exist were pretty rigid and elitist governments.

In my opinion people should open up some real history books or at least read about the renaissance before they try to state anything about the period.

Modernization did happen but the ruling elite were often oppressive about it, partly because of religion, but not always because of religion. Or they were just too stupid to realize how innovative certain ideas really was.

Again, the Monarch point system does a fairly good job of abstracting this into a good game mechanic that also balance the snoballing effect pretty well. If some parts is unhistorical that might be so and there might be balancing coming down the line, but the system is hardly broken or unfun in the least.

Last edited:
Stats go from 0-6 and the values are weighed so moderate values are more likely than more extreme ones. A 3-3-3 ruler is about as meh as you can get. It's not great, but it's certainly not bad either. Any ruler can have individual stats that range from 0-6, the extremes are not for event only or historical rulers.

Yes I meant to say 0-6 not 0-5... so having a 3-3-3 ruler is the exact average.

From the way I look at the technology levels in the game, they're meant to be quite practical. It's not important when things were invented how. It's just a question of the actual practice, of institutions, of implementations, and of the spread of hard knowledge. Military Tech 7 doesn't say "Wow, you've JUST NOW invented the cannon", but rather it says that you're now using it on the battlefield in a specific configuration.

Additionally, gaining power usually means getting cash, which will hire advisors for you. It seems not too difficult to keep up, anyways. Without much expertise or good choices, nor the money to pay for more than +1 advisors, I could keep up with England, being ruled by Henry VI until the 1490s and then by his 1/2/1 heir. I think I have leveled up to a more awesome Lancaster with 3/3/3 now, yay! - Point being, especially with a good economy and maybe -100% Piety if you're Muslim, maybe also some ideas to add to your advancement, I'm sure you can do wonderful things even with Chinese tech.

Other than that, I would really recommend to look into a Mod that supports the alternative you're looking for. Although I personally like uphill battles. And discussing the complex historical reasons for the apparent advancement of "the West" is something that needs lots of literature and a scientific discourse, not a forum discussion where both sides can't be convinced, anyways.

Oh my god! I just tried to Westernize. Idiotic idea. First, you are set back to -100 in everything. Then, a near *constant* stream of events keeps docking you 100 MPs. So you can't get out of it.

Then, to actually get up even 1 Stab, you need about 320 Adm points. If you have a typical nation, you will go up about 5 points a month. So that would be about 64 months * 6 = 384 months -- 32 years.

Through save scumming before attempting, I even got an über leader and a +2 advisor, so I was getting +10 Adm a month. So, that would be 32 months for +1 stab * 6 = 192 months of hell. 16 years to survive.

Yet on a near constant basis I was getting about 15-30 regiments per revolt, and about 2-4 revolts a quarter. Plus my income dropped so far that I was going bankrupt even with army maintenance down at 0%. You can't fight wars with army maintenance at 0%.

So, basically, "Westernize" is NOT an option.

It's certainly possible that the game needs tweaking. However, when I hit an in-game problem I try different approaches rather than automatically assuming that the game is broken. The monarch point system is designed to balance tech, ideas, expansion and development. If you let tech fall behind it gets cheaper. If you know you're setting yourself up for something rough - a major war, or a big change such as westernizing - you get your ducks in a row first.

The MP system is the core EU4 idea and it isn't going away. Three "currencies" may not be needed, but you do need to be able to make meaningful choices in a game. I actually like the current system better than EU3 in the main, although there are a surprising number of land mines for inexperienced players. (Massive stability cost increases if you're overextended, for example...there should be some warning that the costs are unusually high. Or the very high costs for maximum stability with marginal returns. Or the high default military costs.) I also don't like too many random events, as they really encourage either hyper-conservative play (ironman) or save/reload cycles. But the underlying mechanic is interesting and refreshing relative to the old slider and tech systems.

What you say might make some sense for a modern state that dominates centralized funding for research, and even then not entirely. The war-mongering state par excellence these days is the US, but its huge ("snowballed") research lead in military matters is not hindered, and you might say is actually aided, by its continuous low and medium intensity military postwar adventures.

But that's really beside the point. In the early modern period centralized research like this did not exist. Sure enough, the state (the monarchs or the Parliament that funded them in Britain's case) made most things possible, including exploration and trade, by granting lucrative monopolies, franchises and licenses. And of course, the endless warring led to centralized purchases of the latest and greatest, thus driving research (say, from bows, to matchlocks, to flintlocks, and from pikes to plug and then socket bayonets). Even more importantly, big infrastructural projects might have been costly but they generated self-starting research afterwards.

There was no greater warmongering state than France in the 17th and (in particular) Britain in the 18th centuries in our period. And no greater infrastructure investors either. Under EU4, their policies would leave them last in research, whereas they were in fact tops.

As I mentioned in my original post, I like the way EU4 is trying to create a game system that forces the player into hard choices. And I don't mind at all the idea that the random stats of a ruler have a huge influence in the production of points, at least for the absolutist era. But they've gone too far from a "money is key to everything" system to a "points are everything" one, and the result is counterintuitive, often ahistorical, and occasionally silly. It would be better if infrastructural and institutional ("ideas") investments were hugely costly, in money AND points, to make in the first place, but would pay off in the long run by defraying the cost and then some. In money AND points. A well built-up nation who invested heavily in ideas rather than core-making or religious converting, should find itself in the 18th century in a position when the accession of a moron should matter less than in the 15th century. As people mentioned above, 18th Britain wasn't too bothered that its kings were unimaginative and parochial at best, and raving idiots at worst, when they had institutions like the Admiralty, the Royal Society, Parliament, a comparatively vigorous press, turnpikes, improved agricultural land etc etc.

In game terms, the player should be rewarded by foregoing ahistorical expansion in the early centuries, by making core creation and casus belli generation points-expensive outside missions (I like the fact that opportunistic and greedy war goals in peace treaties cost diplo points). Converting should also cost a boatload of points not only to make it tougher to e.g. paint the Balkans Sunni green by 1500, but to also reflect the sidetracking of nation-building by the essentially medieval concept of universal religious conformity: in game terms, if you want a smaller rebel risk by bible thumping your population into conforming with your state religion, be prepared to suffer elsewhere including tech. Make infrastructure costly too, if you will, but give a sufficient benefit (in points or modifiers) so as to make a well built-up 18th century nation, in institutions as well as infrastructure, more dependent on those bonuses than the accident on birth. Penalise large empires by making the bonus a percentage of built up areas, rather than making it additive - so a sprawling centralized blob will have trouble creating such moderating institutions compared with one who's just on the sweet spot, and so making it more vulnerable to a moron on the throne.

And be prepared to accept some snowballing in that case. Well managed nations should be ahead more often than merely lucky ones. A well managed country should be well ahead; but that should come from good, intuitive and historically proven policies, rather than gaming the system as we all do at present. Such a snowball leader is preferable to clumsy hardwired limits like the "Western tech bonus". Yes, Europe should be well ahead from the ROTW in tech by the end of the 17th century in 90 out of 100 games, but that should be because of its development of better institutions and (very eventually) infrastructure than, say, China, as well as the lottery win of having an entire continent full of resources fall in its lap.
No what I said wouldn't make sense today exactly because of how centralized things were. And that people are out of the "it has worked for the last century so don't change anything" mindset.

France and Britain in the 16~18th Century were often at the cutting edge sure even though they were warmongering. This was when they had a person like Louis XIV+Vauban, or William III+Newton. If you had the equivalent of that in game terms and you can't be cutting edge while doing whatever, I think you're doing something wrong.
But France and Britain were not always at the cutting edge. Far from it. Naval Tech-wise the Dutch was often better than Britain. After the "Renaissance" moved north, science kind of jumped around between France, Germany, and Britain. Army jumped around even more.

They were always near the top for sure. As you can be. You should have no problem fighting major wars or massively expand infrastructure while be only 1 or 2 tech behind the leader, which would mean you are up to date. I was Venice and fought for my life against the Ottoman for decades, then I massively expanded my infrastructure. All I did was slightly slouch on NI, and I pulled it off. While a republic. On my first game. But if you're mucking around so much that you get 4 tech behind then well...let's just say these countries also didn't stay near the top when they drained their nation like that. They caught up later sure, just like you can as well.

Somebody like Frederick II spent his reign building up his nation. He did fight wars, but he did not "warmonger" and he did not take a lot of territory. When it passed to his son, Prussia had the highest quality (tech or NI, you decide) army and also very up to date administration. His talented son used this power potential to greatly expand Prussia. And after Frederick the Great's death then what? Prussia fell behind. It's commonly seen in history from Europe to India to Japan. One ruler decide not to do much outward and focus inwards, and build up such a power behind his nation that his successor(s) use it to kick some serious ass. And sometimes use up all that power that the country fall backward again. That sounds quite like what's happening with MP. Besides you can take the middle ground, like other countries did. Be up to date but not cutting edge while expand slowly and steadily.

You are right about 18th Century Britain of course. But the problem is not MP. The problem is that Constitutional Monarchy should have some or all of its MP based on an elected/appointed Prime Minister, instead of the Monarch.

"Hardwired Limits" are realistic because by the start of the game time (Late Middle Ages-Renaissance-Early Modern), Europe has a very good system of learning(tech-advancing) and advancement that was better. Like I said before Ming (1550) China was asking Europeans to calculate the Chinese calendar. Because European math and astronomy was already a lot better in the early 16th century. Sengoku Japan Daimyo imported European cuirass. European wasn't just ahead of the Japanese in guns and ships, but also in armor. Winning the Americas lottery helped Europe gain a lot of practical power yes. Land for plantations, new trade income.
But tech? What tech did they get from the Aztecs/Incas that helped them expand into Asia 3 centuries later?
Europe did of course get gold, silver, and potatoes. But so did China and Japan via European trade, and they didn't even do any colonization.

So in short. At the start of this game tech-wise, Europe already INHERITED a better institution.

Oh my god! I just tried to Westernize. Idiotic idea. First, you are set back to -100 in everything. Then, a near *constant* stream of events keeps docking you 100 MPs. So you can't get out of it.

Then, to actually get up even 1 Stab, you need about 320 Adm points. If you have a typical nation, you will go up about 5 points a month. So that would be about 64 months * 6 = 384 months -- 32 years.

Through save scumming before attempting, I even got an über leader and a +2 advisor, so I was getting +10 Adm a month. So, that would be 32 months for +1 stab * 6 = 192 months of hell. 16 years to survive.

Yet on a near constant basis I was getting about 15-30 regiments per revolt, and about 2-4 revolts a quarter. Plus my income dropped so far that I was going bankrupt even with army maintenance down at 0%. You can't fight wars with army maintenance at 0%.

So, basically, "Westernize" is NOT an option.
Considering the amount of people saying in other threads that it's easy, just plan long term, I think it's not the game. Japan, the most successful Asian nation to westernize in history, in its process of westernizing, fought a couple of foreign wars that it lost, 2 to 3 civil wars, and a large scale rebellion in the space of over 20 years, and it was around 50 when they finally overtook the most behind of the major powers. And this is the most successful nation.
Also don't think "Westernize" is just importing guns, or ships. Many nations tried that. Doesn't work. Guns need the soldier to back it up. The soldier need to be paid, need an educated officer and NCO. The guns need a factory. All need a government and society capable of supporting these. And when you try to affect major changes government and society at the same time in a short time span, you will get instability and government function will hurt. What did you think Japan just decided one day there will be no more class system, they want a constitutional monarchy, and people should start building factories? Sorry didn't happen that way.
The people who only imported guns were not the ones to become major powers. They're the ones either still in civil war, or had to keep fighting them or were still behind until they imported the other stuff.

Last edited:
I have continued playing it, gritting my teeth and "save scumming" to make it survivable. I am back to +2 Stab, but the problem is that I keep getting events, about every 2 months, that either hit 100 Mil or 100 Dip (or, of course, you can always lose the -1 stab again). Sometimes you are "lucky" and you get two events at once. Wonderful. At first I tried to do my best to not just quit and restart, but after losing about 600 points of each -- that's about a decade's worth of points for both columns -- I can't see how this justifies the "advantage" of westernizing. Oh, plus going to -100 in all categories to begin with.

For the past two decades my country has been a basket case. I've lost momentum in a myriad of ways, and there really hasn't been much of a tradeoff.

The only thing that made this survivable at all is that I once got a +1 stab *event* that rose me out of the depths of -3 hell. Before that, I was constantly near death -- loans, manpower drain, and so on.

That's right. I was saved not by my skill or planning, but by the RNG.

Most of the "Well, it worked for me" that you see above was either homogenous nations, and/or they had tricks to get +stab again. And, lo and behold, that's what saved my butt too.

The problem I see is that all of the events during your unstable era is all "people hate this idea! -100 points, tons of rebels!" Not once, other than the +1 stab (which was an unrelated-to-westernizing event) did I ever see, "You know, sir, I think there's some advantages to this westernizing -- +100 Admin."

If I saw a few of those, then I'd think that the game wasn't entirely messing with you.

Again, I have lost a decade's worth of points in two categories.

Tell me again that Westernization isn't broken?

Last edited:
I have continued playing it, gritting my teeth and "save scumming" to make it survivable. I am back to +2 Stab, but the problem is that I keep getting events, about every 2 months, that either hit 100 Mil or 100 Dip (or, of course, you can always lose the -1 stab again). Sometimes you are "lucky" and you get two events at once. Wonderful. At first I tried to do my best to not just quit and restart, but after losing about 600 points of each -- that's about a decade's worth of points for both columns -- I can't see how this justifies the "advantage" of westernizing. Oh, plus going to -100 in all categories to begin with.

For the past two decades my country has been a basket case. I've lost momentum in a myriad of ways, and there really hasn't been much of a tradeoff.

The only thing that made this survivable at all is that I once got a +1 stab *event* that rose me out of the depths of -3 hell. Before that, I was constantly near death -- loans, manpower drain, and so on.

Most of the "Well, it worked for me" that you see above was either homogenous nations, and/or they had tricks to get +stab again. And, lo and behold, that's what saved my butt too.

The problem I see is that all of the events during your unstable era is all "people hate this idea! -100 points, tons of rebels!" Not once, other than the +1 stab (which was an unrelated-to-westernizing event) did I ever see, "You know, sir, I think there's some advantages to this westernizing -- +100 Admin."

If I saw a few of those, then I'd think that the game wasn't entirely messing with you.

Westernizing as the ottoman,muslim, or eastern tech group seems pointless anyway. You get a little behind in tech, but with the ottomans at least I managed to keep up entirely, so the negatives of westernizing really outweighed the positives of just remaining ottoman tech when I was basicly keeping up anyway.

It seems more worth going through that shit as someone like japan, with the insanely bad tech systems that even with you trying to keep up would have you set back enough techs to be able to westernise. That seems more like what the westernize option is for. The tech groups that add a crazy expense, plus the -1 in each point per month.

Nope. Sounds like working as intended. Especially seeing in this save you didn't plan long term.
Heck China, being one of the worst, took 80 years to stabilize in history. And they haven't caught up yet (though they're close in MIL and DIPexcludingnavy)

Well, I've finally come out of that period of hell. I suppose you will all be glad to hear "you were right." Although westernizing was horrific at the beginning, and a *loathe* the number of -100 MP events that you get hammered with -- or -1 stab hits over and over -- in the end I came out and am now back up to running at full speed, within about 20 years.

But man, those first years are.... *shudder*.

The secret to my success? The +1 stab event. Plus save scumming to avoid the worst, and taking a lot of hits anyway.

All the -100 points events I got were military points... which didn't effect my westernization progress at all. And it only happened when I was getting more than 200.

All the -100 points events I got were military points... which didn't effect my westernization progress at all. And it only happened when I was getting more than 200.

I was getting Dip and Mil, even if I was already at or, even below, zero. But you are right. At least it wasn't hitting Adm, or I'd have totally freaked out. :)

It's certainly possible that the game needs tweaking. However, when I hit an in-game problem I try different approaches rather than automatically assuming that the game is broken. The monarch point system is designed to balance tech, ideas, expansion and development. If you let tech fall behind it gets cheaper. If you know you're setting yourself up for something rough - a major war, or a big change such as westernizing - you get your ducks in a row first.

The MP system is the core EU4 idea and it isn't going away. Three "currencies" may not be needed, but you do need to be able to make meaningful choices in a game. I actually like the current system better than EU3 in the main, although there are a surprising number of land mines for inexperienced players. (Massive stability cost increases if you're overextended, for example...there should be some warning that the costs are unusually high. Or the very high costs for maximum stability with marginal returns. Or the high default military costs.) I also don't like too many random events, as they really encourage either hyper-conservative play (ironman) or save/reload cycles. But the underlying mechanic is interesting and refreshing relative to the old slider and tech systems.

For the gameplay purpose, I think that the current system works pretty well, especially after some (inevitable) tweaking.

However, I think that the idea that is so common among so many grand strategy game, that "the leader of a nation picks new tech" is terribly unrealistic, and I'd rather hope them gone from historical strategy games like this. Sure, the leader can give a nudge here and there about which way he wants the nation to go. Or he can adapt new technologies for his military and his administration -- but at its core, technological development itself should be the process that is independent from leaders. So, I actually prefer a hybrid system between EU4 and CK2.

Such system also has the benefit that the penalty for non-European powers would appear much less artificial. That means there will be much less whining and much less flame war. Who won't like that? ;)

Got two things to say; Europe doesn't get ahead until later in the game and please check your events.... you do get bonuses to tech for making war/exploring/trading.

However you are forgetting what the points do... when saying it is stupid that countries who sit back get more advanced.
You are getting behind because you are straining you countrys resources!

Do you think a country would get more technology advanced by suffering from war exhaustion and related problems? No.
Do you think a country would get more culturally advanced by suffering from minorities not accepting your laws and authorities?
Do you think a country would get more efficient administration reforms suffering from overextension and unlawfully, unstable newly claimed territory? No

The points are not used to make war, explore or trade. They are used to fix problems related to these that actually would cause your country to fall behind in technology and to show the drain on a countrys limited resources.

Last edited:
Man, this thread is full of rationalizations. Sure, you can excuse anything in your head... Can we take it on more serious levels? It is not about those stupid things as "realistic behavior". Thats excuse for those, who can't see the problem. Whole point is:

what should be product of system, hpw we wanna system to behave -> make (repair) the system!

Some food for thought...

If you like to bridge the gap between a good and a bad leader you might want to save up lots of MP from the good ruler to the bad to make his reign a little less bad. At the end of a good rulers life you make sure you have as near to 999 points as you can in the pool.

A 4-4-4 leader with +1 advisors will give you a total of 2880p if he rule for 30 years in each category. If he dies with 999p in the pool and a new 2-2-2 ruler take over who will generate about 2160p during his reign in each category that 999 point will make his reign as eventful as that 4-4-4 ruler (more or less).

Man, this thread is full of rationalizations. Sure, you can excuse anything in your head... Can we take it on more serious levels? It is not about those stupid things as "realistic behavior". Thats excuse for those, who can't see the problem. Whole point is:

what should be product of system, hpw we wanna system to behave -> make (repair) the system!
LMAO
So it doesn't matter to you a game that simulates historical processes should be able to be rationalized based on real history. All you want is game play terms? Well that's even easier!
Here's the answer to that:
What should be the product of the system = What the product is now
How we want the system to behave = How the system is behaving now
-> No repairs necessary.

I think the idea is to stop you playing an 'admin country', a 'diplo country' or a 'military country'. If there were only one kind of monarch points for instance, it would be too easy as a land power to just forget about diplo tech and use the points you save to blob all over Eurasia. Westernisation would also be much easier because you could just dump absolutely everything into admin while you are westernising to get it over with ASAP.